Sign in to follow this  
menotyou135

Which starting weapon is Best for Competitive Halo?

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which weapon is best for competitive Halo?

• Halo CE pistol
    • 4sk BR
    • 5sk BR
    • 4sk DMR
    • 5sk DMR
    • Light Rifle
    • Carbine

If you could chose to put any one of these in the Competitive settings for Halo 5 in order to try to save Halo, which would it be?

EDIT: For those saying that aiming mechanics will effect old guns, just pretend like the gun is exactly the same as it was before. The Pistol would have the exact same aim assits, bullet magnetism, ect... as it did in Halo 1.

The BR is based off of whichever Halo you liked the BR most in. It can be Halo 2, Halo 3, or Halo 4. 

The DMR is based off of either H4, or ZBNS Reach. Whichever you prefer. Same for Carbine and LR.

As for Sandbox, Assume that the sandbox is completely based on the functionality of the starting weapon. If you pick, BR, then the sandbox will be balanced around that. If you pick Carbine, the sandbox will be balanced around that. ECT...

It completely depends on the sandbox. If the sandbox is filled with weapons that have a fast kill time but take a high degree of skill (or are otherwise balanced by things like slow ROF or short range), then a H1 Pistol type weapon is what I want. If the sandbox is more like H2 and later Halos, then something like the BR is probably better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like 4sk DMR, but like Philosopher said; The mechanics of the games shooting is what's most important.

Personally I hardly consider the BR an option..Single shot is the way to go.

4sk BR or DMR (with a range reduction to promote map movement)

Or CE Pistol if the kill times of weapons in the sandbox are faster and more skillful, like ThreeShotPistol said

4sk DMR with 2x scope. Obviously zero bloom. I'm assuming Halo 5 will have a H2-H4 type of sandbox so I guess a kill time of 1.3?

CE pistol, or a ZB DMR with a similar kill time. Single shot guns are just better and more competitive, they're far more rewarding per shot than burst weapons, and far more punishing if you miss a shot.

Take the Pistol, skin it as a rifle, and in consideration of every gametype reduce its power just enough to make it a 4sk (with bleedthrough; specifying just in case bleedthrough is something not considered to be related to the weapon, but rather the game overall to certain people). If the RoF stays the same you have a potential 0.9s kill time with a 12 round magazine (3 kills per mag if executed flawlessly) and a 2x scope that is increasingly difficult to use over range due to the leading required. 

Hopefully such a weapon would suit everything from 2v2 to 8v8, and as an added bonus everyone accustomed to a 4sk can still feel comfortable in "fouring" players if they're good enough.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would take the DMR back if I had the chance.

To me it just makes sense to have a single shot weapon as the loadout. It allows a lot more room for error as opposed to the Battle Rifle being a burst fire weapon. It is more difficult to hit someone who is strafing with the DMR in a mid-close range battle than it is with the Battle Rifle also. 

I never have as much fun playing Halo until I use the H1 pistol or H2 post patch BR, they were perfect weapons. And glitches made them even more fun.

• Upvote (+1) 1

4sk DMR? Has that been tested or something?

We would need tweaks to the auto aim/magnetism in h4 for it to properly work, but in worked great in reach

Reach's aiming is so much more skillful than H4. There is way too much auto aim/magnetism in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm going to have the unpopular opinion in here and go Light Rifle, especially if it had it's Aim assist lowered. The weapon is a lot more consistent than the BR, as it has little spread, and there's little to no randomness to it.

• Upvote (+1) 2