CHa0s

Terminal Velocity

ter·mi·nal ve·loc·i·ty
noun
Physics
noun: terminal velocity; plural noun: terminal velocities
the constant speed that a freely falling object eventually reaches when the resistance of the medium through which it is falling prevents further acceleration.

Terminal Velocity is my first "real" Halo 4 Forge map. Up to this point, I had only gone into Forge to create "Oldschool" maps, by placing weapons similar to Halo 3 for appropriate gametypes, and setting up a type of Neutral Bomb before the mods started coming out.

I have been hosting custom lobbies for Forgers for some time, and finally decided to design my own creation.  Squad Battle in Halo 3 was my all-time favorite playlist, and the inspiration for the size of my map. My lobbies, most recently carrying the title "Spartans' Playground", reflect the type of maps I personally enjoy experiencing: those maps that transport you to another world, a unique experience, whether it is visually or it surprises you with an unexpected element. I especially enjoy maps that allow free exploration and limited boundaries.

I tried to encompass these qualities in Terminal Velocity, which has minimal kill zones (Think, the sand dunes on SandTrap...), and a unique spawn system. Spartans were made for this...

Terminal Velocity is set up for competitive 6v6: Slayer, Dominion (not tested yet), CTF, Ricochet (not tested yet).

At this time there are no weapons spawns, as I am still studying map balance, which so far is unexpectedly fairly sound using default War Games Infinity.

Birds Eye View

straight-down-birds-eye.jpg

Red Base

red-base-tunnels.jpg

Blue Base

blue-base-tunnels-birds-eye.jpg

Blue Base Route to Man-Cannon

blue-base-route-to-man-cannon.jpg

Blue Man-Cannon to Top Mid

blue-man-cannon-to-top-mid.jpg

Top Mid Route to Red

top-route-to-red.jpg

Download Link

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not bad for your first map ever ;) you have a long way to go. Reminds me of when I started forging on H4. Just keep on forging, you will get better and better at it. 

The bottom floor is really big and flat. There are issues, but this is your first map, so I won't go overboard on the feedback because the map has numerous problems. The first thing is just the most noticeable issue. Remember for future projects that height variation even in the slightest bit of use can go a long way in improving a map structurally. 

Not bad for your first map ever ;) you have a long way to go. Reminds me of when I started forging on H4. Just keep on forging, you will get better and better at it.

Thanks? You do realize that sounds condescending...?

• POSTS IN CREATION THREADS
  • - Posts in creation threads should be constructive, purposeful, and/or useful. Posts should not aim to demean the author's efforts. Posts of encouragement should include some substance.
  • Example: "Nice map." or "This map sucks." is NOT a sufficient post.

Any chance of some real constructive criticism? ;)

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Thanks? You do realize that sounds condescending...?

Any chance of some real constructive criticism? ;)

Sorry if I sounded that way, I wasn't trying to say i'm better than you in any way.

Now for constructive criticism. Your map I think needs more to the bases, looking from your pictures it seems that the place where the banshee spawns is where the bases are. If I were you I would use a little bit less of the prebuilt pieces on it and see what you can do with block and wall pieces.

Also, what purely said the bottom of the map is really big and open. I would fix that by adding more structure to the bottom of the map + adding a reason to go there.

If you need help coming up with an idea of a base I could possibly get you started on one :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like you structuring in your top mid area. Is there a lift from the bottom to the top ? However the walkways need to be beefed up and the cover needs to be increased, so that your fellow spartans dont get their face melted by the Wraith.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, guys! I know you don't know it (especially whoever neg repped me, thx Zandril for the up!) but Squeak and I are buddys, so I can harass him ;) Squeak, I ran out of monies, so I can't remake the bases :( I like how they look.

So, I've made the front yard of the bases open on purpose. Think Hemorrhage, Avalanche. Halo 4 is not vehicles-friendly. I want whoever gets into the Wraith to have a blast, and to be able to survive for at least a couple of minutes. If there is more cover that just isn't going to happen.

And contrary to how it looks in the photos, the wraith has a really hard time killing people on the upper walkways. I'm a competitive player, and I've provided what so far in testing appears to be adequate cover and sightlines, both from the wraith, the banshee, and power positions. I encourage you to go in there and look around: the cover from the photos is misleading.

However, that being said...

TEST! TEST! TEST! :D Time will tell, and you can believe that I will tweak the map for the best competitive playability. It does seem to favor competitive players over casuals, as in when casuals play it they don't do well, but when competitives play it the balance feels really good so far.

Any body know how I get the damn teleporters to show up? I tried making them "Normal" to make sure they weren't phased into anything, but all of them still won't show up :( And I found out the version in the download is broken in Dominion. I know how to fix it and it should be done by tomorrow. Will update when it is.

Edit: @MadMax yes, there is a gravity lift at ground level that takes you to level two of the center structure, and man-cannons that take you to the attic of the center structure.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Squeak, I ran out of monies, so I can't remake the bases :( I like how they look.

Hmm, I would really just delete some of the building pieces. Blocks are your friends  :unclesudd:

Found some time to give the map a look. Since this is your first map, I'm not going to mention every issue. Instead, I'll state the most pressing ones that you should really avoid next time you make a competitive map.

- Spawns: When you place spawns on a map put them on the ground. Do NOT put them in the air where the players will fall to the ground at the start of the match and when they respawn. That kind of thing only works for Mini games, casual maps, etc. In a competitive map, players should spawn on the ground.

- Clutter: When placing a piece, it should serve a purpose in the map and should not be there just for the sake of cover. 

- Power positions: The center structure in and of itself is not very good. But the most pressing problem to me is its third level. It's in a very high position, and is very protected. Not only that, there is only one entrance to it which is a mancannon that launches players up. A power position should have hard routes that players can take, and more than one entrance. They should also not be overprotected because it ruins the risk vs reward aspect of the game.

- Flow: When making a competitive map, keep in mind how you want players to move around in it. Players should be encouraged to move around. In this map, players aren't really encouraged to move because the middle of the map is very open, flat, and the only cover they have are the clutter I mentioned.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Thanks, Zan, I appreciate your opinion and will keep it in mind in the future. I'm not sure why you feel spawns have to be on the ground for a competitive map. Sure, it's different for what people are used to in a Halo map and wouldn't be used in a pro competition, but it plays very competitively and not at all like a mini-game. It reminds me of Battlefield: Bad Company 2! And really, it's how Spartans should come into battle, imo

I'm also sadly confused about your comment about routes, since it has just as many routes as several of the maps I love, such as Avalanche and Hemorrhage, and certainly more than Settler O.o But perhaps what I could use the most clarification on is the comment that "- Clutter: When placing a piece, it should serve a purpose in the map and should not be there just for the sake of cover." The map looks so clean to me it's almost boring, so I don't know what clutter you speak of, and I'm not sure what purpose cover could serve other than cover?

You can also land on the spire from the man-cannons if you choose, and access the attic from there, so other than the two man-cannons that lift up, there are two other ways up.

The middle of the map is "flat" on purpose: Halo 4 does not lend itself well to the use of vehicles, and as a fan of "Spartans' Playgrounds" I've created a balanced map that has a place for every type of gamer. The wraith driver has an open area in which to maneuver the vehicle and open spaces to increase the odds of keeping the vehicle up and running longer. It's very easy to sneak past the wraith either on the left or right sides, using the structures there, which is one of the things that is hard to see from the photos.

I'll be fixing the Dominion on it soon I hope (I can only get two shield doors per base to spawn on capture, is this normal?) and my Saturday classes end this week, so I might be bugging you guys to playtest it with me in a few Saturdays ;D Maybe I will have figured out this clutter thing you speak of by then.

I'm not sure why you feel spawns have to be on the ground for a competitive map. Sure, it's different for what people are used to in a Halo map and wouldn't be used in a pro competition, but it plays very competitively and not at all like a mini-game. It reminds me of Battlefield: Bad Company 2! And really, it's how Spartans should come into battle, imo

Well, if we were in Spartan Ops or Campaign, I wouldn't mind dropping into action. But this is competitive multiplayer. All players are used to being on the ground at spawn and choosing where they want to run to instead of having no place to go other than down. If my answer still confuses you, I'm sure someone could explain this spawning thing better than me.

But perhaps what I could use the most clarification on is the comment that "- Clutter: When placing a piece, it should serve a purpose in the map and should not be there just for the sake of cover." The map looks so clean to me it's almost boring, so I don't know what clutter you speak of, and I'm not sure what purpose cover could serve other than cover?

The tunnel pieces are the clutter I was talking about. Cover, in a competitive map, should be structural.

Look at this picture.

i4HNPANETDkhK.jpg

"Almost every rock, ramp, railing and artifact base that you see in this screen capture serves as a line of sight blocker. However, each piece has multiple functions. You can use them as cover, or something to jump on to gain a line of sight across the map, or geometry that helps you to out BR your opponent through head glitching, peak-shot and strafing. This is what I mean by structural cover. It's usable geometry. The idea is to empower the player - not restrict them.

When your map only consists of pillars that only serve as line of sight blockers that occupy dead space, huge amounts of segmentation occurs and you are forcing players to only use your geometry in one way. Forgers need to build maps for the mechanics of Halo." -Fated

You can also land on the spire from the man-cannons if you choose, and access the attic from there, so other than the two man-cannons that lift up, there are two other ways up.

The problem is, those aren't hard routes. Players don't have control over themselves when going through mancannons so anyone camping the spire with some of his buddies could easily overpower those who are trying to get them out of it.

You need hard routes to power positions.

The middle of the map is "flat" on purpose: Halo 4 does not lend itself well to the use of vehicles, and as a fan of "Spartans' Playgrounds" I've created a balanced map that has a place for every type of gamer. The wraith driver has an open area in which to maneuver the vehicle and open spaces to increase the odds of keeping the vehicle up and running longer. It's very easy to sneak past the wraith either on the left or right sides, using the structures there, which is one of the things that is hard to see from the photos.

A map shouldn't be flat. A vehicle-lover can still have fun with a Wraith even if he's not on flat ground. Look at the BTB maps of Halo. Blood Gulch, Valhalla, Settler. None of them are flat. They all have natural hills that act as height variation and cover.

Why do you think there are few good BTB maps on Forge Island? Because it's flat. It's hard to have a good BTB map when majority of it is flat.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I like what zandril said about multi functional cover. I would take it a step further and say that the cover should look like it belonged there. That it was part of the architecture from the beginning. Throwing in crates for cover is cheap and hurts the quality of the map. But so do pillars that do not look like they belong or look like an after thought.

Also when you develop routes from a location you should stand there and look at the various routes that you can choose from and ask "is path X inviting or discouraging? " paths with no cover are not generally inviting. And even hard routes to any power position must be inviting. The power position must be disarmable. If every route to the position were coverless then it can become too powerful.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I like what zandril said about multi functional cover. I would take it a step further and say that the cover should look like it belonged there. That it was part of the architecture from the beginning. Throwing in crates for cover is cheap and hurts the quality of the map. But so do pillars that do not look like they belong or look like an after thought.

Also when you develop routes from a location you should stand there and look at the various routes that you can choose from and ask "is path X inviting or discouraging? " paths with no cover are not generally inviting. And even hard routes to any power position must be inviting. The power position must be disarmable. If every route to the position were coverless then it can become too powerful.

It's increasingly frustrating to hear feedback that doesn't fit with the map. There is a ton of cover on the map, and great routes. It's a blast to play: you should try it!

It would seriously take you less time to create something new than to try and fix this map. I suggest looking at some maps by featured forgers and studying what styles they use to implement structural cover. Right now, I know it hurts, but you have to look at this map as a learning experience. I see what you were going for with certain areas of the map, but you need to keep certain rules in mind when forging. All areas need to be acessible from a few different areas on the map and never just one. You need to have some sort of visual theme to the map that will make it stand out or feel like all it's areas fit together. Never use lazy cover unless it is very minimal and is made to look somewhat natural. I think you should start over with something a little smaller that will be easier to manage the budget on. Vehicles can come later, just focus on creating original architecture and the actual layout of the map itself. A 4v4 on forge island is a good place to start. You don't need to worry about lighting and framerate is much more forgiving. I'm sorry that this isn't the feedback you were probobly looking for, but in reality, if you want to create a special map, it takes practice and multiple attempts. You will eventually develop your own style, but for now, just look closely at what others have created (in forge) and use bits and pieces of what they have done to create your own unique map. Don't forget to keep the look consistent though, and try to avoid using premade peices like buildings or staircases.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's increasingly frustrating to hear feedback that doesn't fit with the map. There is a ton of cover on the map, and great routes. It's a blast to play: you should try it!

Chaos, this is never going to work if you cannot accept that your map has problems.

Chaos, this is never going to work if you cannot accept that your map has problems.

Zandril, if people are going to assume things from the photos that are not accurate, I'm going to set them straight. Play on the map, then give me feedback. Like the title says it's a beta, hence unfinished, and I am receiving a ton of constructive criticism that makes sense that I am incorporating into changes and testing, so don't assume just because I hold my ground when people say it doesn't have cover that I can't take criticism.

The way opinions are expressed in this thread and many other Forgers' threads I find disturbing. Your opinion is exactly that: opinion. To behave as if it's fact is to pretend it has more power than it really contains. The purpose of my map is enjoyment and I will continue to test and tweak it for maximum enjoyment of people that like this kind of map.

Am I missing something here? Is the sole purpose of posting up a map so people can come and give (condescending at times) their opinions on what's "wrong" with it, or is the purpose also so people can discover new play spaces? Because if this is the way people try to "help" you, I don't want it.

Zandril, if people are going to assume things from the photos that are not accurate, I'm going to set them straight. Play on the map, then give me feedback. Like the title says it's a beta, hence unfinished, and I am receiving a ton of constructive criticism that makes sense that I am incorporating into changes and testing, so don't assume just because I hold my ground when people say it doesn't have cover that I can't take criticism.

The way opinions are expressed in this thread and many other Forgers' threads I find disturbing. Your opinion is exactly that: opinion. To behave as if it's fact is to pretend it has more power than it really contains. The purpose of my map is enjoyment and I will continue to test and tweak it for maximum enjoyment of people that like this kind of map.

Am I missing something here? Is the sole purpose of posting up a map so people can come and give (condescending at times) their opinions on what's "wrong" with it, or is the purpose also so people can discover new play spaces? Because if this is the way people try to "help" you, I don't want it.

This is the way a lot of people help. By pointing out the flaws. It's a fact that this map has a lot of fundamental flaws. I don't need to play on it to know I'm right about my previous feedback. I'm not saying I'm never going to play it though.

We're not assuming anything from the photos. I went in your map myself and I looked at everything in it. No assumptions. Just fundamental problems about the map that I wanted to tell you.

I realize it's a beta. Hence, the feedback.

If you want this map for the people who enjoy its kind, then that's perfectly fine. But almost all the people here don't forge casually. We try to forge Matchmaking quality maps.

Just take the feedback or leave it.

Look. I like you mostly because of what you've done for my home forum, Forge Cafe. But if you continue to behave like this towards other's and my feedback, then I can't help you.

Have a nice day.

I understand the frustration here, but I don't necessarily agree with the tone. As forgers, we each see our "version" of a map, and we can look at certain aspects different than others may do it. My strong point are aesthetics, whereas someone else might notice spawning issues or potential gameplay problems. I also admire people who manage to break out of a map, even after the forger meticulously placed killzones. While there are commonly understood features of what makes a map that either 1) plays well; or 2) is well built, what is "fun" or "enjoyable" will always be subjective.

I downloaded the map and ran around it for 20 minutes and I think it looks fun. There are a lot of crazy elements that will provide some lulz in customs and I'm glad you're keeping that spirit alive (as it seems everything these days are super tryhard no radar donut maps). I once experimented with spawns in the air for an Invasion map. I had a killball explode a Scorpion tank behind a wall, so that as you spawned, it shook the whole screen and it felt like you were dropping down into the map like an ODST. These creative ideas are awesome for crazy or specialized gametypes. However, they're often not permitted in default MM, and I think you may have confused the forum by listing the map as functioning for "competitive" gameplay. 

Zandril has given some good feedback that applies to all kinds of maps, but a good portion may not apply to Terminal Velocity if you aren't building it for competitive play. Again, while there is no objective definition of "competitive", there are well understood guidelines that are easy to identify on a map. I'd be lying if I said I knew fuck of anything about making a competitive map; however, I'm certain that if I were to play tryhards on Terminal Velocity, I'd be raging at them as much as I was at the map.

I don't think TV can be played with "super serious, astros on head, money on the line, meta up the ass" kind of gameplay, but that isn't your problem - you can't cater to every player. I know somebody who put fusion coils in every single corner on his map because he didn't want people to crouch or use camo. You can't really account for those kind of things, but if you're building for a certain audience (in his case, he could have chosen sprint only gametypes), you wont need to worry about those. All you need to focus on is who you are building it for. 

If you're building this map for more laid back and wild custom games, don't change a thing about how it's designed. Forge wise, the pieces could be cleaned up a bit. You have several bumps around the map that will catch grenades or throw off a strafe (e.g. corner 45°s in the middle), and there are other places where pieces are cutting into some paths to cause bumps (mainly near the bases).You've used some pieces in very creative ways - the glass covers over the artifact base are something I've never seen before - so I'd love to see you continue forging and not be discouraged by criticism.

If competitive game modes are what you had in mind, I think you'd find success if you continued to forge up to it instead of trying to adapt TV to that style. Beyond is a good place to post maps because since the ones here are geared towards [insert my creative description of competitve gameplay above], you get very critical feedback that you may not see on sites that focus soley on a map's aesthetics or forgework. It may not be the feedback you're looking for or the feedback TV needs though, so other sites could be an option.  

• Upvote (+1) 4