LeandroTrooper

Why people think Ricochet is Random?

Ricochet is too good. Being able to score from weird places is random? Give me a break. Stop slaying and watch the ball. Not hard to stop a ball that's sailing through the air if you're paying attention to what's going on in the game. I can't count the number of times I've stopped balls from weird angles - it's not difficult.. just different gameplay. I think my point here is that people need to stop bitching because the game has a different dynamic. Taking out throwing the ball just makes it Neutral Assault, does anyone realize this?

Edit: This comes off as anti-competitive. Not so - I just really hate the idea that the game can't change in order to stay competitive.

Being able to score when you don't have to actually take the objective - the enemy base - is nowhere near as skillful as having to actually get INTO the base, surrounded by enemy spawns, and hold the fort down for 5-10 seconds. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

What I truly like about it is the strategy of moving the ball while the team preps the goal for a walk in and the goals are base oriented static. (I don't like koth much because the goal moves all the time.)

It's Halo fast paced but well constrained by the objective that it never borders on chaos.

The first game I played having no clue what to look for on my Hud I just rushed the opponents goal and without realizing it setup for a walk in. That did it for me... I was hooked.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Being able to score when you don't have to actually take the objective - the enemy base - is nowhere near as skillful as having to actually get INTO the base, surrounded by enemy spawns, and hold the fort down for 5-10 seconds.

Being able to defend a score from anywhere on the map is a skill itself.

Being able to defend a score from anywhere on the map is a skill itself.

No it isn't. It doesn't make any rational sense from a positioning perspective (what, are you going to have a fucking GOALIE) and it takes 1/4 of a second to launch the ball. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

No it isn't. It doesn't make any rational sense from a positioning perspective (what, are you going to have a fucking GOALIE) and it takes 1/4 of a second to launch the ball.

If they are in position to launch why the fuck wouldn't you have a goalie? Until that point business a usual.

Maybe that's the point. It's not a slayer based offense, it's strategy based. The skill comes from making the plays and working the angles, not killing the players. You can go negative and still be the most important player on the team.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe that's the point. It's not a slayer based offense, it's strategy based. The skill comes from making the plays and working the angles, not killing the players. You can go negative and still be the most important player on the team.

...Every single objective gametype in history lives and dies by that principle. Ricochet is not bringing anything new to the table and it's inferior to assault. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

If they are in position to launch why the fuck wouldn't you have a goalie? Until that point business a usual.

First of all, because that is absolutely and utterly ridiculous. 

Second of all, because you have a PITCHER'S ARM. You can throw the ball halfway across the map. 

Literally the only way this would take as much skill as Assault is if you actually set this gametype up as Basketball With Guns. With a hoop and everything. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

...Every single objective gametype in history lives and dies by that principle. Ricochet is not bringing anything new to the table and it's inferior to assault. 

Ricochet seems pretty popular - meanwhile Team Throwdown which "lives and dies" by those principals has a REAL SOLID 200 players. I think you're living in the past and don't want to see alterations to a tired game style.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

First of all, because that is absolutely and utterly ridiculous. 

Second of all, because you have a PITCHER'S ARM. You can throw the ball halfway across the map. 

Literally the only way this would take as much skill as Assault is if you actually set this gametype up as Basketball With Guns. With a hoop and everything. 

How is it ridiculous? Makes the gameplay way more interesting to watch and play. Pitcher's arm? You've got a spartans arm son. Oh wait, that's not an issue because if the other team has the ball then you should be playing defense, not trying to slay them in their base. I think your dislike for the gametype comes from a general lack of understanding of offensive-defensive type sports. There's a reason why there's goalies in sports.

Once people realize that Ricochet is a gametype where you play "mid-field" and not in the other team's base, then they'll start to enjoy it more and suck less.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

let's bring up individual playlist population in a game that struggles to get 20,000 players a night. It couldn't be the whole game that has problems and not just an individual playlist. That would be ridiculous.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ricochet seems pretty popular - meanwhile Team Throwdown which "lives and dies" by those principals has a REAL SOLID 200 players. I think you're living in the past and don't want to see alterations to a tired game style.

I'm going to give you the opportunity to freely retract this asinine statement. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How is it ridiculous? Makes the gameplay way more interesting to watch and play. Pitcher's arm? You've got a spartans arm son. Oh wait, that's not an issue because if the other team has the ball then you should be playing defense, not trying to slay them in their base. I think your dislike for the gametype comes from a general lack of understanding of offensive-defensive type sports. There's a reason why there's goalies in sports.

I play hockey, you fucking pine-rider. 

Here, let me reiterate - every single objective gametype is offense-defense oriented. Ricochet is not new in that sense, at all, in the slightest. You only think it's innovative because you're suggesting that one player should stand around and do nothing until he sees the ball being lobbed over the Pitfall landscape toward his goal because possession changed AT THE OTHER FUCKING END. This would be comparable to playing soccer without goalies and requiring a striker to stand in the backfield because everybody and their mother can kick a goal from across the field. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I play hockey, you fucking pine-rider. 

Here, let me reiterate - every single objective gametype is offense-defense oriented. Ricochet is not new in that sense, at all, in the slightest. You only think it's innovative because you're suggesting that one player should stand around and do nothing until he sees the ball being lobbed over the Pitfall landscape toward his goal because possession changed AT THE OTHER FUCKING END. This would be comparable to playing soccer without goalies and requiring a striker to stand in the backfield because everybody and their mother can kick a goal from across the field. 

Taking throwing the ball out is not the solution then. Perhaps an offside rule where if the ball is thrown from a position closer to the throwers goal, and is thrown past the last man back, then the ball falls straight down out of its trajectory. Personally I would prefer this a lot more than taking throwing out, because what the hell is the point of Ricochet without throwing?

But also, I don't know how many games I've played where the other team was just lobbing it past us every time. You have to be pretty dumb. If they have the ball they'll be running for your goal, so you should be in a position where you can stop them (ie. your team should be on your half of the map essentially). If you have the ball they'll be somewhat in their base. Where does the lobbing come into play again? Only happens if you die and they get the ball or you throw it when it will be intercepted.

Removing the ability to score goals with Throw-In's would be the best move, otherwise we will still have a lot of random elements that can simply destroy the balance and strategy that should be involved to score a point. One of the best aspects of Halo Objective's is the need to push, and acquire positions and map control, with Ricochet's Throw-In to score mechanic we lose a lot of the need to actually work harder for our points. You should always have to force your way into a opponents base and score through walking the objective into the goal, such as you see with CTF, Assault,.

Throw-In scores was a terrible idea in the first place, and that should be something all Halo players are able to realize due to their experience with past objective game-types. A idea I saw suggested recently was that goals simply be placed on a small raised pedestal, pillar, such as a 1x1 unit object, with a inclined ramp leading up to it from the base that would prevent any chance of roll-ins, but still allow walk-in's.

Taking throwing the ball out is not the solution then. Perhaps an offside rule where if the ball is thrown from a position closer to the throwers goal, and is thrown past the last man back, then the ball falls straight down out of its trajectory. Personally I would prefer this a lot more than taking throwing out, because what the hell is the point of Ricochet without throwing?

People can play Ricochet however they want to, that's something I couldn't care less about. They could add a map pickup that lets you Air Jordan it from 100 feet out, and I really wouldn't care all that much. 

It is simply an inferior gametype to Assault, by any possible metric or line of reasoning, and that's all I'm trying to convey. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

let's bring up individual playlist population in a game that struggles to get 20,000 players a night. It couldn't be the whole game that has problems and not just an individual playlist. That would be ridiculous.

When your playlist has the lowest player count by a factor of 10 in many cases, it's not the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

People can play Ricochet however they want to, that's something I couldn't care less about. They could add a map pickup that lets you Air Jordan it from 100 feet out, and I really wouldn't care all that much. 

It is simply an inferior gametype to Assault, by any possible metric or line of reasoning, and that's all I'm trying to convey. 

Watchability and virality are probably two points they're trying to hit - seeing as the game's dead.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Removing the ability to score goals with Throw-In's would be the best move, otherwise we will still have a lot of random elements that can simply destroy the balance and strategy that should be involved to score a point. One of the best aspects of Halo Objective's is the need to push, and acquire positions and map control, with Ricochet's Throw-In to score mechanic we lose a lot of the need to actually work harder for our points. You should always have to force your way into a opponents base and score through walking the objective into the goal, such as you see with CTF, Assault,.

Throw-In scores was a terrible idea in the first place, and that should be something all Halo players are able to realize due to their experience with past objective game-types. A idea I saw suggested recently was that goals simply be placed on a small raised pedestal, pillar, such as a 1x1 unit object, with a inclined ramp leading up to it from the base that would prevent any chance of roll-ins, but still allow walk-in's.

So you just want Neutral Assault then?

• Downvote (-1) 2

still living in the past i see

• Downvote (-1) 3

When your playlist has the lowest player count by a factor of 10 in many cases, it's not the game.

Playlist population really has nothing to do with what makes a gametype competitive:

In Halo 3, SWAT, Action Sack, and BTB would often have more players than Team Throwback and MLG.

In Halo Reach, BTB, Infection, Grifball, and several other playlists had more players than v7 MLG.

In Halo 4, BTB, SWAT, Flood, Snipers, Action Sack, Dominion, Infinity Slayer, and Grifball all have/had a higher population than Team Throwdown.

Higher population does not equal more competitive.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ricochet is a competitive Grifball? Grifball can be very competitive at times

But that's by design. That's the very nature of Grifball. There aren't supposed to be weapons on the map or anything of the sort. Smash enemies, score goals.

Implying that Grifball itself is never competitive. The Grifball playlist currently has Grifball Pro which is very similar in nature to what the leagues play on. This is not a continuous round gametype but is one where the rounds end after a score.

For what it's worth, I can tell you that the Grifball community has thoroughly embraced Ricochet and the options made available in both normal Ricochet and Multi Team Ricochet.

I chose poor words to explain that Ricochet should be treated different because its a gametype which has been done to play competitively in OUR settings. I'm sorry  :( 

I didn't mean to bash or say that Grifball is not competitive. For a reason, they have their own teams, leagues, tournaments, etc. Just like 8v8 leagues.

What I tried to say is that Grifball is the equivalent gametype for our settings. (Change weapons, maps, spawns, etc)

In the other hand, Grifball doesnt have that kind of customization/settings and it's ok because the gametype was made to be like that and works excellent by its own.

I honestly didn't mean to say that Grifball wasn't competitive at all or bash it in any other way, because it is true in fact that Grifball can come competitive at times and when you play with friends it can be fun as hell.

I just wanted to say that Ricochet was a bit more meant for us because of the settings. That's all  :(