Proven

UFC/Boxing/General Brawling Thread

I don't watch Boxing much, it looked even to me ( a casual observer). Turns out Mayweather hit Canelo 100 more times in the face. I think he knows how good he is and plays defensively, isn't aggressive, might hurt him in one of these upcoming fights. But still, he absolutely owned Canelo and wasn't even the aggressor.

Yeah he was just way too technical and way too fast. 

Canelo has a ton of room for growth is going to win a lot more fights and make a lot of money over the next couple of years. He just came at Mayweather too soon. He couldn't keep up and didn't have the tactical plan to negate that speed difference. 

Also, the jab by Mayweather was something special tonight. Usually it is his counter punches (which were still good), but tonight the jab was the ticket. 

meh I had Gustof winning, but the UFC won't let the face of their company lose to a Swedish guy by a decision

meh I had Gustof winning, but the UFC won't let the face of their company lose to a Swedish guy by a decision

49-46? LOL

I thought Jon probably won 1 of the first 3 rounds (the one he definitely lost was the one in which he was taken down). Then I thought he won the last two rounds convincingly. Unless the judges had Jon losing the first 3 rounds, I thought it was an easy decision. If they had one of the first 3 rounds as a draw, the fight could have been a draw. I did think Gustafsson did more overall damage over the course of the fight (even though it looked like Jons had him dead to rights at the end of the 4th and 5th rounds but just couldn't knock him out). But fights aren't decided that way - they are won by rounds. I do agree that the 49-46 card was a little suspect. I don't think Jon won 2 of the first 3 rounds. 48-47 was how I had it.

Dos Santos vs. Velasquez 3 thoughts? I hate how people say Junior "destroyed" cain in the first fight. It was a wild lucky overhand. I think Cain will win the rubber match, but Junior has most likely improved his cardio and takedown defense, so I hope its a competitive bout.

I mean it was close, but I had Hendricks winning that fight. Whatever hopefully GSP retires. He sounds like he's one fight away from killing his family and blowing his brains out.

A lot of people had Hendricks winning, it also just depends on what you consider the way of winning.

This is an easy call for a rematch though.

Kind of reminds me of Penn vs Edgar 1 and 2. Penn easily won the first fight and then got destroyed the second fight - maybe we'll see something similar.

Half ass retirement was kind of annoying.  Either do it or don't.

He's clearly going through something thats extremely emotionally and mentally taxing on him. Did you see the post fight conference: "I can't sleep at night". I obviously can't say for certain, but he seems to be suffering from depression, and even back when he was on the JRE you could tell. He was trying to explain something about how he would just zone out for hours at a time and have no recollection of what he did in that time, and Joe Rogan just kept joking about aliens and shit, it was frustrating to listen to. People can be such ******s when it comes to mental health. I mean hopefully I'm wrong about the depression stuff, but still give him a break for the time being, he deserves it

Also I usually don't mind Dana White, but what the fuck is he playing at coming out against GSP (the UFC's biggest draw no less) to the media before he even discussed it with GSP himself. Like "he owes it to the this company!"....ummmmm he doesn't owe you anything mate

Also I usually don't mind Dana White, but what the fuck is he playing at coming out against GSP (the UFC's biggest draw no less) to the media before he even discussed it with GSP himself. Like "he owes it to the this company!"....ummmmm he doesn't owe you anything mate

If you hold the belt, you don't get to choose to take time off or make your own schedule. There are a hundred guys willing and wanting to take his place - the belt doesn't wait for anyone.

GSP owes his entire career to UFC too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you hold the belt, you don't get to choose to take time off or make your own schedule. There are a hundred guys willing and wanting to take his place - the belt doesn't wait for anyone.

GSP owes his entire career to UFC too.

GSP doesn't have to fight a single other fight, he's just under contract to not fight for any other organization. UFC can't make him do anything, so there's that.

And he isn't just "choosing" to not fight because he feels a bit sad, don't be so ignorant. Have an interim belt or something, if he loses it because he needs to take time out due to his mental health, the UFC should be ashamed of themselves for setting such a precedent.

GSP doesn't have to fight a single other fight, he's just under contract to not fight for any other organization. UFC can't make him do anything, so there's that.

And he isn't just "choosing" to not fight because he feels a bit sad, don't be so ignorant. Have an interim belt or something, if he loses it because he needs to take time out due to his mental health, the UFC should be ashamed of themselves for setting such a precedent.

If he's under contract then he has to fight, although, I'm not sure what is current contract looks like. I also don't know exactly why he wants to take time off; has he given an explicit and direct answer yet?

The point I'm trying to make is that if you hold the belt, you take the unwritten responsibilty of defedning the belt whether you want to or not when you're the champion. What's the point in fighting in a weight class without a belt? Take the belt away and there is nothing to work for besides money.

And the point I'm making is that like physical injuries, fighters with mental issues and/or depression shouldn't just be told to piss off. I think we have a fairly long way to come before the majority of people will really understand how draining depression can be on a person. He isn't just taking time off for the fun of it

Anyway the main thing is that we've only heard from GSP twice since the fight, once right after the fight, and then at the press conference. And both times his emotions were clearly running high. Lets just do what Dana seemingly couldn't, and give him a bit of time to explain himself better, maybe when he hasn't just been hit in the head for 25 minutes straight....

On a different note though, how many people here actually train mma/boxing etc.?

And the point I'm making is that like physical injuries, fighters with mental issues and/or depression shouldn't just be told to piss off. I think we have a fairly long way to come before the majority of people will really understand how draining depression can be on a person. He isn't just taking time off for the fun of it

Anyway the main thing is that we've only heard from GSP twice since the fight, once right after the fight, and then at the press conference. And both times his emotions were clearly running high. Lets just do what Dana seemingly couldn't, and give him a bit of time to explain himself better, maybe when he hasn't just been hit in the head for 25 minutes straight....

On a different note though, how many people here actually train mma/boxing etc.?

Oh, I fully agree metnal issues are just as big as an issue as a physical revoery. I think GSP should have just rewored it differntly maybe, I'm not sure. However, I'm not sure how taking time off after a fight like every fighter does isn't a normal thing to recoop mentally and physically.

Thinking about it now, I think Dana jumped the gun a bit, which isn't surprising now that I think about it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea I read an article about what's been going on in his life and I get it now.  Didn't have this info when I said that.  I agree, mental illnesses are no joke, as I have experience with it.