Sign in to follow this  
Infinity

My Attempt at a Montage, Feedback?

I posted this to THC but didn't get much response. Hopefully you guys can give some more feedback. 

A month ago I tried my hand at making a minitage/trailer and wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, so I rendered two of the clips I had synced and posted them to youtube.

Hopefully you guys can give some feedback about what you like and what you don't like.

Thanks for your time,

Above

Known issues: 

- No Game Audio, Roxio Game Capture HD Pro not compatible with Vegas

- Poor song choice (its all I had at the time, wanted to toss it in)

Yeah, the song wasn't too spectacular with it, but what you could have done with it was synchronize kills to the beat, especially since you sped up and slowed certain moments.

The intro was a little too long considering it was the same image. If it was animated and contained some links or names, etc it would make more sense for the length. People usually decide in the first 5-30 seconds if they are going to continue to watch your video. It has to grab your attention and do so quickly. It was a little after 30 seconds before anything happened.

The ending was a little rough and abrupt. I would have considered focusing on the last guy to die rather than seeing your player die.

The filter you used was pretty decent and kind of fit the mood.

Something else you could have thrown in there was maybe a voice over clip saying "Overkill" at the ending.

Yeah, the song wasn't too spectacular with it, but what you could have done with it was synchronize kills to the beat, especially since you sped up and slowed certain moments.

The intro was a little too long considering it was the same image. If it was animated and contained some links or names, etc it would make more sense for the length. People usually decide in the first 5-30 seconds if they are going to continue to watch your video. It has to grab your attention and do so quickly. It was a little after 30 seconds before anything happened.

The ending was a little rough and abrupt. I would have considered focusing on the last guy to die rather than seeing your player die.

The filter you used was pretty decent and kind of fit the mood.

Something else you could have thrown in there was maybe a voice over clip saying "Overkill" at the ending.

All of what he said.

With the intro, a screen like that needs to stay up for no more than 3-5 seconds. Just long enough for people to read what's on the screen. I'd take out the black and have a fly over going on underneath as well.

For the ending, I'd fade out the song and the clip at the same time. I'd also slow down that last kill a lot and time the fade so that it cuts to black right after you get the kill.

Also with the intro, I like to see the 3rd person views and such with them moving. I think it just looks better.

I actually liked the song choice, but I think the style of the editing needed to be more aggressive to fit the song. The editing seemed too passive for the song.

Besides the intro being a little too long a thought it was pretty neat. Better than anything I could do that's for sure.

Not bad!

Pros:

- colour effects were cool!

- clips were decent

- 3rd person scenes

- fastened up and slowed down clips are always awesome

Cons:

- Still image, extremely long intro put me off

- the transition to third person should make it seem more fast paced (third person clip shouldn't be longer than the clip itself)

- try and experiment synching the kills with the music

- include the weapon sounds, contributes to the beat of the song and makes it overall more engaging (just thinking about sound of the sniper gets me pumped)

- personally, i find the white flash as a transition effect a little disorientating, perhaps make it a fade in on high speed to fit the music

- absence of the announcer saying overkill, triple kill, etc subtracted from the clips

not too bad:) loose the image at the start though! and try to get a sync to it i think thats one of the keys to a good montage. hope this helps :)

Only thing that wasn't that good (that you know) was the into, it was too long.

Yes, continue making this montage.