Reason

Comic-Book Movie & TV Thread

Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 were definitely rock bottom for the current series of Marvel movies. 

Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 were definitely rock bottom for the current series of Marvel movies.

How can you honestly like Quip Man 3 over Thor 2?

How can you honestly like Quip Man 3 over Thor 2?

Thor 2 doesn't really even get going until Loki shows up, and that's at like the hour mark. Give me RDJ making quips than having banter between Kat Dennings and her own intern (makes no sense) and Skellen Skarsgard and Natalie Portman speaking pseudo-science talk. The villains are almost literally non-existent and speak about the same amount of lines that Tom Hardy is going to be speaking in the new Mad Max movie, which is about 16 lines.

Iron Man 3 is just better paced, better dialogue (you either love or hate Shane Black), better villains (Guy Pearce giving America a puppethead for the terrorist attacks is just brilliant and somewhat relevant), and has some nice setpieces (Air Force One sequence, Tony infiltrating the mansion) and the most important thing at all, has Shane Black stamped all over the film. It's surprisingly violent and deals with consequences of all sorts too. I recognize it's not a perfect film, with Pearce not really having a clear motivation, the 3rd act setpiece not exactly being original, Rebecca Hall's character being wasted, but it's so damn enjoyable.

Oh lord the villian in Iron Man 3 was terrible.

Worse than Thor 2???

Ben Kingsley fucking owned.

Worse than Thor 2???

Ben Kingsley fucking owned.

Not worse than Thor 2.

Kingsley wasn't even the villain.....

And the main villain motive was weak

I agree (still find the whole Mandarin being an actor yet America has him as priority #1 fascinating, something you rarely see in blockbusters). That's probably the biggest problem with the Marvel films: lack of a memorable and well-defined villain. I mean, Loki's great, but that's more on Hiddleston than what's on the page. Same goes with Robert Redford.

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/495649858842152960

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/495650213990633472

I didn't dislike Ronan as much compared to a couple others. Helped he had Nebula though who was a better side villain compared to Kurse, Zola, Justin Hammer and Savin(IM3).

I wish Lee Pace (Ronan) had more to work with, but the enunciation of every word he speaks is menacing as fuck. If only all hellbent religious zealots were like that

Just got back from Guardians, loved it. Pratt was great

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just got back from Guardians, loved it. Pratt was great

"There, I'm standing, you all happy now? Buncha jackasses standing in a circle"

• Upvote (+1) 1

"That is the most real, authentic, hysterical laugh of my entire life"

• Upvote (+1) 1

Chadwick Boseman might be playing Black Panther. he's being coy about it, but he did bring up that nothing is certain until a contract is signed. Keyword being contract; marvel knows how to strike while the iron is hot. Dude is pretty babyfaced for a 37-year-old

Joaquin as Dr Strange is yet another inspired casting if they get this deal done

I can't imagine Joaquin wanting to several movies of the same character. Would love it though if he did

Same here. Jeff Sneider of TheWrap (who broke the news) was talking about that exact same thing on a podcast and asked his source and his source said that Joaquin would not sign a 6-film contract, but that wasn't a denial of him not wanting to do the character or playing the character more than once. Once he heard that, he broke the exclusive and everyone shat their pants.

Guardians was pretty good. Does a great job in being part of the bigger story Marvel is trying to tell and not being so serious about it.

Also that after credits scene. Will be interesting to see where they take that if they're brave enough.

"Metaphors go over his head."

"NOTHING goes over my head!...my reflexes are too fast...I would catch it."

• Upvote (+1) 3

I need to see this movie, you guys make it seem like an instant classic!

@@gporter If you liked Iron Man 3, you'll love Guardians of The Galaxy. jeremy-approved.

@@Scalzo, get the ketamine ready for Joaquin Phoenix:

"It is a classic Marvel origin story, because he’s got one of the best origins ever, and it’s our opportunity to take that left turn into the supernatural. Now what is the definition of ‘supernatural’? It varies. We like the idea of playing with alternate dimensions, and Strange, in the very sort of Ditko, crazy acid-trip way of traveling through dimensions and traveling through realms, is something that we think is very, very cool — playing with perceptions of reality."

Iron Man 3 is terrible but so is most of marvels movies. There had been maybe one or two exceptions

I mean The Avengers is their crowning achievement. And let's be honest that story was shit, and was a small step below professional wrestling

Iron Man 3 is terrible but so is most of marvels movies. There had been maybe one or two exceptions

I mean The Avengers is their crowning achievement. And let's be honest that story was shit, and was a small step below professional wrestling

Damn it @@Scalzo, you're hurting my feels. Lesbihonest though and all flaws aside, Marvel is the one of the few studios that are delivering consistent entertaining blockbusters.

I do agree that The Avengers has high highs and low lows; the first 30 or so minutes is tough to get through. The story was simple, but they were more or less following the origins of how the team actually forms.

• Upvote (+1) 1