Reason

Comic-Book Movie & TV Thread

my bffjill met jessica alba / took a photo with her at comic-con. salty as fuckkkkkk

• Upvote (+1) 1

He's holding my beer

he actually gave it up for 6 months to lose that andy dwyer weight. that's like impossible

@@Scalzo, you may be able to identify with Rocket Raccoon. He likes beer and spits a lot of vitriol just like you, and he also berates his sidekick, Groot (aka @gporter), relentlessly.

you have to watch Iron Man 3 first though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

seems like a typical summer blockbuster, but I heard it was funny unlike every other marvel film that takes itself too seriously... 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The movie doesn't take itself too seriously, but if you don't like Marvel movies in general, this one won't be any different. 

Guardians of the Galaxy: first thoughts, non-spoilers.

Good: 

• It's just so damn fun. Rocket easily has the best dialogue, but the literal-minded Drax and puppy-like Groot ensures more hilarity between the banter
  • Our ragtag group of scoundrels are not heroes (and for the most part, don't have superpowers), especially Rocket and Groot. Marvel and Gunn focused so much on the concept of them being accepted my audiences that they become the most fleshed-out characters. Chris Pratt is going to be the next big thing; he gradually moves from scoundrel to leader without losing any of the charm. Gamora gets the short end of the stick, but everyone gets their (heartfelt and cathartic) moments.
  • It's not set on Earth for 99.9% of the time (only the first 5 minutes).
  • It's the best looking Marvel film. There's some merit to the idea that all the Marvel films prior to this film have a sameness look to them, despite the various settings (and realms); guess that has to do with the lighting. The various planets and environments we're introduced to are so vibrant and striking (which for the first time makes the 3D worth it).

Bad/Disappointing:

• Familiar Marvel plot of a MacGuffin with untold powers wanted by a one-note villain who wants to take over the world (or in this case, galaxy)
  • Speaking of, the villains don't have much to work with, which is a shame because the actors they cast as villains are great actors.  Djimon Hounsou is wasted and the adorable Karen Gillan as the psychotic Nebula doesn't get a lot of screen time. I liked Lee Pace's Ronan the Accuser though; the religious zealot hellbent on destroying a planet angle worked for me.
  • Not enough of Benicio del Toro's space liberace, The Collector. His hoarder palace alone has dozens of easter eggs and only hints on how vast this universe is.

Also, Captain America: The Winter Soldier bluray rip is out!

Wesley Morris wrote a great review for Guardians. I generally enjoy his outlook. 

Wesley Morris wrote a great review for Guardians. I generally enjoy his outlook. 

Yup. I love that he's perceived as a critic (via majority of Grantland comments) who doesn't like any movie. You should check out that rom-com podcast (or video) that he did with Bill Simmons. He's just the best Pulitzer Prize-winning gay black film critic out there.

I haven't been able to listen to all of it, so I'll most likely finish it this afternoon at work. 

Yup. I love that he's perceived as a critic (via majority of Grantland comments) who doesn't like any movie. You should check out that rom-com podcast (or video) that he did with Bill Simmons. He's just the best Pulitzer Prize-winning *** black film critic out there.

Bill Simmons is the worst

Bill Simmons is the worst

He's definitely more hit or miss now. But what about Jeremy Renner giving Elizabeth Olsen the sex stare? Or Paul Rudd and Mark Ruffalo nerding out?

Just watched the latest Captain America last night(thank you bluray rip) and it was soooo much better than the first one. Going to see Guardians tonight

Crazy how much better Marvels 2014 movies are compared to their 2013 ones