Reason

Comic-Book Movie & TV Thread

What exactly did those films achieve besides box office glory, not sure how they changed the industry? id give that mantle to the first spiderman

But I am less in the loop than you.

Id give the Dark Knight props for being the first well made CBM. But that didnt change the industry because they are currently as dumb and riskless as ever.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

First Avenger?

Ah shit, probably between Iron Man and Iron Man 3.

What exactly did those films achieve besides box office glory, not sure how they changed the industry? id give that mantle to the first spiderman

But I am less in the loop than you.

Id give the Dark Knight props for being the first well made CBM. But that didnt change the industry because they are currently as dumb and riskless as ever.  

It definitely changed it for the worse because most studios are trying to emulate Marvel's "universe building" strategy, but lack the patience for proper world building and making the calendar year for film all full of tentpoles now. Sony is fucking up Spider-Man for decades to come, Fox is starting to do things right after having shitty films like X-Men 3 and Wolverine: Origins film, and DC is kitchen sinking everything with their upcoming film to "catch up" with Marvel.

The Marvel movies may seem episodic and risk-averse, but I can put some of that blame on Marvel self-funding their films before Disney bought them. Despite the Edgar Wright fiasco (ugh), I do feel like they're starting to give their directors more freedom and have their personality in the film, like Shane Black with Iron Man 3. They're also  trying feel more standalone than episodic, and are having more mature stories despite how goofy some of these heroes/universes are. Really felt like Winter Soldier was the start of that, while Guardians of the Galaxy's early positive buzz is showing that a director can have his stamp on a film.

I may sound like a Marvel apologist and they have made plenty of mistakes that a young studio would make, but they're one of the few franchises that are doing it right.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're right they certainly changed cinema for the worse, and lets be honest no one cares about comics because of it... its not like the Box office numbers are directly proportional to comic sales or anything, and this has nothing to do with nerds, rather brainless people who like watching homoerotic movies that are a small step above Professional Wrestling 

I don't know about the international crowd, but a lot of these parents and grandparents who are bringing their kids likely read the comics, not every single story, but at least know who they are and were interested in them as a youth. 

Then you have the crowd who have no fucking idea who Iron Man or Thor is. They watch these movies, see a teaser with characters like Thanos and Loki, and then they go home or search their homes to research who these characters are. They're interested, engaged.

That being said, most Marvel and DC comics fucking blow right now; better off reading the old stories in the 70s and 80s.

I don't know about the international crowd, but a lot of these parents and grandparents who are bringing their kids likely read the comics, not every single story, but at least know who they are and were interested in them as a youth. 

Then you have the crowd who have no fucking idea who Iron Man or Thor is. They watch these movies, see a teaser with characters like Thanos and Loki, and then they go home or search their homes to research who these characters are. They're interested, engaged.

That being said, most Marvel and DC comics fucking blow right now; better off reading the old stories in the 70s and 80s.

This is all baseless. 100% assumptions

This is all baseless. 100% assumptions

True, but these things have been heavily talked about and it sort of explains the increased opening weekend gross (and the box office gross) for the solo films post-Avengers. The first Captain America only made like $350 mil worldwide, while the sequel this year made $720 mil. Same goes with Thor and its sequel. 

Guardians of the Galaxy is really the first true test for Marvel. Most of these characters were made during the 70s where Marvel writers were high off cocaine and whatnot (documented in the book, Marvel: The Untold Story) and are really bizarre and don't seem connected to the Avengers universe; gun-toting raccoon, sentient tree, Benicio Del Toro as Space Libarace, dozens of alien races, a leading man from the goofy guy from Parks and Rec?

Did you guys know I'm excited for Guardians of the Galaxy?

Did you guys know I'm excited for Guardians of the Galaxy?

CH CH CH CH CH CHERRY BOMB

CH CH CH CH CH CHERRY BOMB

Dude, I still need to see Winter Soldier.

What's my deal...

I've been smoking too many sentient trees. 

Dude, I still need to see Winter Soldier.

What's my deal...

I've been smoking too many sentient trees. 

The Cap films are like my favorite solo films. And not just because it's about AMERICA.

10468368_627178657397160_922687314941534

The first Captain America was unintentionally funny. It was better than iron man 3 tho

Gotg will be one of the worst ones yet

You're wrong

The Cap films are like my favorite solo films. And not just because it's about AMERICA.

I wasn't a big fan of the first, but that might just be me hatred for Captain America as a character. I just don't get him.

I do understand why people might not warm up to him compared to like Hulk or Iron Man, but his earnestness to do the right thing in a world that has become cynical and morally grey is pretty great. A way more interesting character than Superman.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Not to mention the lead in cpt America already exists in the marvel universe as a member of the fantastic four... such casting

Not to mention the lead in cpt America already exists in the marvel universe as a member of the fantastic four... such casting

Probably why FF is rebooting now that Chris Evans ass is officially owned by Marvel.

I think X-Men and Spider-Man are the only two other property rights that haven't reverted back to Marvel.

HOW DARE YOU NEG ME.

Fantastic Four is a FOX property when Chris Evans was in his 20s. Captain America is a MARVEL property with Chris Evans now in his early 30s. DAMN IT SCAL YOU BLOWHARD

@@Vertigo don't forget Fantastic Four owned by Fox. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

HOW DARE YOU NEG ME.

Fantastic Four is a FOX property when Chris Evans was in his 20s. Captain America is a MARVEL property with Chris Evans now in his early 30s. DAMN IT SCAL YOU BLOWHARD

@@Vertigo don't forget Fantastic Four owned by Fox. 

Aye I edited to reflect that fact. For some reason I thought FF had reverted back as well to Marvel.

Aye I edited to reflect that fact. For some reason I thought FF had reverted back as well to Marvel.

Almost did. Marvel was willing to let Fox extend their Daredevil rights in exchange for Silver Surfer and Galactus (Lol not the giant cloud version). Fox declined, Daredevil rights went back to Marvel.

Probably why FF is rebooting now that Chris Evans ass is officially owned by Marvel.

I think X-Men and Spider-Man are the only two other property rights that haven't reverted back to Marvel.

Hence why they are the best series.. minus spiderman 3

Marvel has King Diarrhea ' s touch

Hence why they are the best series.. minus spiderman 3

Scal, you should watch these new douchebag Spider-Man films, turned Peter Parker/Spidey from an everyman to a fucking destined hero. It'll make you almost want to watch Iron Man 3.

Scal, you should watch these new douchebag Spider-Man films, turned Peter Parker/Spidey from an everyman to a fucking destined hero. It'll make you almost want to watch Iron Man 3.

You have to understand Scal isn't here to actually give a real opinion or formulated thought toward these films. It's simply to be a troll and banter back and forth with someone.

I saw the first one and while it was hard to watch it didn't approach the impossible task that is iron man 3

@@Vertigo I made several points. But ik you are a fanboy

I love Spiderman.

The casting in the new series is infinitely better than the casting in the original and because of that I tend to enjoy them more a lot of the time, but the scripts just aren't on the same level and looking back the arc just isn't great. 

Scalzo, are you excited for the new TMNT!

TURTLE POWER!

SHELL SHOCKED

• Upvote (+1) 1