Sign in to follow this  
logan

Smoke Grenades In Halo, Good or Bad?

How about Incendiary Grenades (ICG)? or Bubble Shield Grenades (BSG)? (you can only carry 1 in total)

-What are the apparent positive aspects of this idea?

ICG if direct contact to the opponent like sticky grenades it would be an instant kill.

BSG can be used in objective gametypes for defending a site, extraction, etc

-What are the apparent negative aspects of this idea?

ICG can be annoying, people could run in a corner just in purpose and throw it at ya

BSG can be as well annoying cuz anyone can have BSG... so.. yeah

-What other non-apparent things can come come about with the implementation of this idea?

ICG can be used as traps in the ground, so people get scared of the people who throw it and back off.

BSG can be as fun as Bubble shield of H3, sticky grenades/rockets fails and maybe suicides, multikills, etc

-How does it effect the core formula of Halo?

I believe it depends, depends of how these are used. Is like a power-weapon, so it depends how it should be used. The only way in my opinion that these grenades can work properly in Halo and doesn't ruin Halo's core, is that the grenades are as pick up, and considered as a kind of type of powerweapon. Like only 2 ICG in the map with a specific time spawn, and only 1 BSG so only one player can have it. Maybe?

Maybe my arguments are WAAAAAAAY too vague, but is kinda what we should discuss with everything we want to add in the next Halo. :P

In campy games I use smoke grenades to thwart power positions. Halo generally is not (or should not be) a campy game, so I don't see a purpose in the sandbox right away.

Though smoke grenades would certainly cause grenade and melee fusterclucks, they're also balanced, as far as I can see. Whenever I see a smoke grenade (or any other grenade, for that matter), I immediately know the opponent's general position and where he wants to move.

In any case, I'd rather have the Active Camouflage power-up to encourage and facilitate map movement than this potentially gimmicky item.

The Halo 2 nades actually made a fair amount of smoke when they exploded on certain types of ground. There was actually an awesome play on main stage where someone (I forget who) got an awesome no-scope through the smoke.

Off topic but was it Beaver Creek back behind one of the bases? If so I completely remember that and it was fucking awesome.

There's also minor things that you should consider like fuse time and smoke duration time. Height, width, and depth of smoke. And what happens when it starts to dissipate? Can you see outlines or does immediately disappear.

I wouldn't be against a smoke grenade but like Menotyou said its better to be detailed so you have an idea of how it would an affect on gameplay.

People in this community need to stop being fascinated by stuff that "sounds totally cool and depth-adding and strategery-like and super meta and shit".

We need to SPEED HALO UP. Stop trying to add more congestive, defense-oriented nonsense. I'd rather have a mini-nuke launcher out of fucking Starship Troopers than a god damn smokescreen.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Off topic but was it Beaver Creek back behind one of the bases? If so I completely remember that and it was fucking awesome.

There's also minor things that you should consider like fuse time and smoke duration time. Height, width, and depth of smoke. And what happens when it starts to dissipate? Can you see outlines or does immediately disappear.

I wouldn't be against a smoke grenade but like Menotyou said its better to be detailed so you have an idea of how it would an affect on gameplay.

The one I was thinking of happened on sanctuary. The nade went off under carbine, the sniper was in rocks and he killed someone who was in court.

@ Lemon

Adapt

Unless the game is somehow altered in halo 5 to work with smoke grenades i would have to say no to the current state of Halo.

I highly doubt they would work. They work in CoD/CS for what they do, and Halo is an entirely different game. I just don't see them working. Incendiary Nades though, that's what needs to make a comeback.

The scary part is this same conversation must of been had over at 343 in regards to default sprint, flinch, POD's, specializations and they actually thought those things were going to improve the game  :o

gunfights would become 10x more annoying, and more guesswork would be involved as people shoot/move through smoke towards one another.

Plus this is a defensive nade, when really we need more cool, skillful, offensive capabilities.

For Matchmaking, I don't think it would work very well.

For customs, they could be nice. Imagine all the crazy, non-competitive maps people can make with smoke grenades.

Smoke nades COULD be cool in objective gametypes such as extraction.  Being able to cover an extraction point with smoke could add a layer of strategy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I prefer to keep my Call of Duty and Halo separate, but that's just me. I do not want any gimmicky grenades added *looking at you incendiary grenades in H3*

I prefer to keep my Call of Duty and Halo separate, but that's all of us. I do not want any gimmicky grenades added *looking at you incendiary grenades in H3*

/thread

I prefer to keep my Call of Duty and Halo separate, but that's just me. I do not want any gimmicky grenades added *looking at you incendiary grenades in H3*

Incendiary grenades could actually get a kill though so I would say that makes them far less gimmicky than pulse grenades.

In addition to that the firebombs could effectively block hallways for a few seconds. Players run right through pulse grenades like it's a laser show at the roller rink.

Now if you had said spike grenades I would be right there with you.

Firebombs are also super useful in campaign and most importantly FUN for casual players. Halo needs to sell far more copies ot casuals than competitive players. Firebombs added a fun element to casual play without aversely affecting competitive play. I would argue that from a pure enjoyment point of view the firebombs are heads and tails above spike or pulse grenades.

Any Halo "IDEAS" needs to start by asking "Is this fun for dumb people?" and then "Does it ruin the game for smart people?" If the first is true and the second is false, then it's a good idea. Even if the idea is NEVER used in a tournament, so long as it doesn't ruin or unblance the competitive merits of Halo it should be included to appease the casuals and keep them playing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Incendiary grenades could actually get a kill though so I would say that makes them far less gimmicky than pulse grenades.

In addition to that the firebombs could effectively block hallways for a few seconds. Players run right through pulse grenades like it's a laser show at the roller rink.

Now if you had said spike grenades I would be right there with you.

Firebombs are also super useful in campaign and most importantly FUN for casual players. Halo needs to sell far more copies ot casuals than competitive players. Firebombs added a fun element to casual play without aversely affecting competitive play. I would argue that from a pure enjoyment point of view the firebombs are heads and tails above spike or pulse grenades.

Any Halo "IDEAS" needs to start by asking "Is this fun for dumb people?" and then "Does it ruin the game for smart people?" If the first is true and the second is false, then it's a good idea. Even if the idea is NEVER used in a tournament, so long as it doesn't ruin or unblance the competitive merits of Halo it should be included to appease the casuals and keep them playing.

Fair arguments, I personally just used them to make photo effects...lol

Fire grenades are just going to be used to create impassable areas. 

Give me a multi-exploding grenade over that, one that blows up like a firecracker and hops around a room. That's far more entertaining. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Give me a multi-exploding grenade over that, one that blows up like a firecracker and hops around a room. That's far more entertaining. 

How about a nade, that is like a frag grenade, but it takes longer to explode, and has a huge blast radius?

Oh wait... that's the CE nade isn't it?

Do you guys know why moltov and smoke grenades exist in Counter Strike?

It's to block a potential route to the bomb site. (If you're playing as the counter-terrorists.)

Also smoke grenades can be used to hide movement and to not get sniped.

Would Halo really benefit from any of these additions? A molotov would be useless because unlike Counter Strike you can regain your shields and don't lose them as quickly.

Could a smoke grenade be beneficial? Maybe, but it isn't Halo.

If these additions were so great, why weren't they added during H3/Reach/H4? At the end of the day it wouldn't benefit the gameplay the same way it does for Counter Strike.

In Counter Strike you have one life per round which is why smoking/flashing is key to insure that you stay alive.

Borderlands in the house

You probably spent 4 or 5 seconds of your time to come up with that.

How long was the development cycle for Halo 4 and we got... PULSE GRENADES?

A grenade that looks like a stupid piece of shit that you can then throw to do almost no damage and create a cheesy fucking orange ball that can be easily avoided.

How does an idea so bad make it through dozens of meetings and revisions?

• Upvote (+1) 3

If you hit someone directly with a pulse nade it instantly drains their shield and you can 1-shot them. Don't use them like what they appear to be meant to do. 

You can also Nade+Melee for a quick kill at close range. They are useless if you don't hit someone directly with them.

Besides, I would rather they be underpowered than be mini-power drainers from Halo 3.