Jinxer

The Future of Halo and MLG

MLG picks up Halo 5   

105 members have voted

1. 1. Feelings?

• "I would be stoked!"
    • "Fuck MLG! They screwed us over!"
  2. 2. What would happen?

• MLG monopolizes Halo once again, squashing out all other leagues.
    • Successful Halo tourneys will continue to be ran, along with MLG
  3. 3. Halo eSports vs CoD eSports

• Halo does not come close CoD in popularity and will be run in the background
    • Halo begins to rival CoD in popularity. Both games become "flagship" and are run equally
    • Halo surpasses CoD and becomes the sole flagship shooter for MLG

I want to hear everyone's opinions on Halo and MLG. If Halo 5 is the eSports title we all think it could be, and MLG decided to pick up Halo, what would your feelings be?

Me personally:

Question1: I personally would be stoked. It was not MLG's responsibility to keep Halo afloat. They are a business and I completely understand. No hard feelings.

Q2: I think that organizations like eSportsNation, Red Bull, etc. will grow Halo eSports enough to spread the wealth around to where multiple leagues can be successful with MLG at the center. We could also see the Intl scene grow immensely.

Q3: I don't think that Halo can completely surpass CoD in terms of popularity, but I think that they can get close to CoD. A good comparison would be NFL and College Football. Everyone knows that NFL (CoD) is more popular but College (Halo) gets plenty of coverage and is followed by a large percentage of the population as well.

Vote/ Discuss!

WAY too early to speculate on these things, we dont even know if Halo 5 will have spec mode and that is a deal-breaker these days for major leagues.

WAY too early to speculate on these things, we dont even know if Halo 5 will have spec mode and that is a deal-breaker these days for major leagues.

Its more of a "what if" scenario. If Halo 5 is what we want out of an eSports title and MLG picked it up, what do you think would happen?

1) I would be stoked, too. I'm very appreciative of what AGL (UMG to a lesser extent) has done for us in this "dark period" but MLG have the sponsors, the popularity, the financial backing etc. 

2.) It honestly depends on how good Halo 5 is off launch. If it's amazing, we could easily see AGL/UMG as side tournaments to MLG (like how CoD has it) and maybe other companies/leagues could pick Halo up if it's good enough, but realistically speaking, I think the Halo community would be more than content if we had at least MLG. 

3.) CoD is huge right now, even if Halo 5 is amazing, I still think CoD will overshadow it. I also don't see the game being good enough off launch to rival the beast that is CoD right now. 

To put it into perspective, our top Halo pro in terms of followers has 20k, Nadeshot has 15x that. Viewer wise, I don't see Halo competing with CoD for the forseeable future but who knows what Ghosts/H5 will be like. 

the only reason halo might rival Cod in my oppion is cause alot of cod players used to be halo players so with a good halo title i could see them returning home

1) I would be stoked, too. I'm very appreciative of what AGL (UMG to a lesser extent) has done for us in this "dark period" but MLG have the sponsors, the popularity, the financial backing etc. 

2.) It honestly depends on how good Halo 5 is off launch. If it's amazing, we could easily see AGL/UMG as side tournaments to MLG (like how CoD has it) and maybe other companies/leagues could pick Halo up if it's good enough, but realistically speaking, I think the Halo community would be more than content if we had at least MLG. 

3.) CoD is huge right now, even if Halo 5 is amazing, I still think CoD will overshadow it. I also don't see the game being good enough off launch to rival the beast that is CoD right now. 

To put it into perspective, our top Halo pro in terms of followers has 20k, Nadeshot has 15x that. Viewer wise, I don't see Halo competing with CoD for the forseeable future but who knows what Ghosts/H5 will be like. 

I just have a hunch that Ghosts will be somewhat of a letdown from a competitive standpoint.. No real reasoning, just a feeling.

I just have a hunch that Ghosts will be somewhat of a letdown from a competitive standpoint.. No real reasoning, just a feeling.

I've heard a few things, too, like they don't have Theater mode or CTF (I think?), I don't follow the scene at all but it could be a 'Halo Reach' type game that won't kill the community but could potentially harm it. 

Either way, MLG will have Ghosts on the scene as the exclusive FPS for 2014 so they won't have to worry about that. 

I wouldnt be "stoked". It would be cool I guess.

tbh if mlg picks up halo 5 no one would go to agl anymore.

Halo will never be anywhere close to cod popularity.

I don't think Halo 5 is gonna be an eSports game. 

If Halo 5 is the Halo we want(nothing like Halo 4 even Team Throwdown is garbage compared to the past Halos), it has spectator mode, ranks etc. Then if MLG picked up Halo i don't know why i wouldn't be excited. 

Its more of a "what if" scenario. If Halo 5 is what we want out of an eSports title and MLG picked it up, what do you think would happen?

I think it could succeed considering Halo's history with MLG and we all know Halo is a huge title with tons of fans it just needs the proper attention like Treyarch gave to Blackops 2.

I will always play Halo though regardless of whether its the most popular Xbox title or not, I think its one of the most fun and intense comp games there is when made properly.

I wouldnt be "stoked". It would be cool I guess.

tbh if mlg picks up halo 5 no one would go to agl anymore.

Halo will never be anywhere close to cod popularity.

CoD teams still go to UMG's inbetween MLG events. Obviously AGL wouldn't have as big turnouts as MLG would if MLG picked Halo back up but it's still a tournament with money. I don't see why teams who don't live too far away wouldn't attend. 

Can't go wrong with free money+event experience. 

CoD teams still go to UMG's inbetween MLG events. Obviously AGL wouldn't have as big turnouts as MLG would if MLG picked Halo back up but it's still a tournament with money. I don't see why teams who don't live too far away wouldn't attend. 

Can't go wrong with free money+event experience. 

This is what I have been saying... I just hope that H5 has spec mode. This could make or break the game from a content standpoint.

Just another thought as well but I am guessing MLG will be experimenting with Titanfall and maybe Destiny when they come out, Halo really has to up its game next generation and really innovate and deliver a quality game like H2 did or H3 did to a lesser extent, or else Halo really could become the "Quake" of console gaming MP wise(not bashing Quake but some say it should of done more to innovate with the times).

If H5 is good, it will be like LoL is tournament wise, assuming that 343i continues to hold tournaments, and MLG will be kinda the secondary tournaments(LoL MLG tourneys are still pretty big I think.)

MLG won't pick up Halo 5.

Since 343i "Knows what to do", and assuming they do it, you don't think H5 would become popular enough to be in MLG?

I think it's clear Halo will never return to its former glory.  It would take a shift in the mindset of FPS gamers.  The majority like quick easy kills and Halo doesn't offer that.  As much as I hate to say it, CoD will remain dominant for the foreseeable future unless they release the equivalent of a CoD Reach and at the same time 343 releases the most incredibly awesome Halo to date.

It would be nice to see Halo at MLG again mainly for the production value they offer.  AGL has been improving every tournament but are not on MLG's level yet.

Let's assume that spectator mode somehow drastically lowers the cost of casting Halo (which I highly doubt, seeing as MLG already has all the equipment). 

A game of 4v4 is a far greater logistical nightmare than a 1v1 game like Starcraft. And if Halo 5 isn't BY FAR the most popular shooter out there when it drops, then MLG will have no reason to put it in a corner underneath CoD. 

Highly doubt MLG ever picks up Halo 5 within it's game cycle. I just don't see MLG dropping $500 per Xbox One (concluding that H5 will be a X1 exclusive) on unproven hardware anytime soon. I can only imagine the inventory on X360's and PS3 they have stocked up.

I'm going to assume MLG continues to trend away with console play and move more towards multi-plat/PC competitive gaming.

You would be more pressed to make a thread for Halo 6 to be honest.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Highly doubt MLG ever picks up Halo 5 within it's game cycle. I just don't see MLG dropping $500 per Xbox One (concluding that H5 will be a X1 exclusive) on unproven hardware anytime soon. I can only imagine the inventory on X360's and PS3 they have stocked up.

I'm going to assume MLG continues to trend away with console play and move more towards multi-plat/PC competitive gaming.

You would be more pressed to make a thread for Halo 6 to be honest.

Sundance already announced that CoD Ghosts will be run on Xbox Ones for next season.

If we can get 2+ huge 343 tournaments each year plus AGL's every 6 weeks, I don't really care if MLG picks Halo up. Don't really need them. If CoD Ghosts is bad, MLG will be dad anyway.

MLG announced that COD: Ghost will be it's flagship FPS. They are done with us. Let's keep supporting AGL.

But Ghosts ends next year, Halo 5 comes next year....anyway, they wont pick Halo up unless 343i and Msoft intervenes and give some money towards it( which I highly doubt).