CyReN

Frank O'Connor On The Future Of Competitive Halo

I was gonna say that the ease of ability to ninja people in Halo 3 alone proves how broken the melee hitboxes are. Not to mention the fact that if you hit a guy on his right shoulder regardless of where he was to you it was an instant backsmack.

I gotta say, this is what made the game so enjoyable.

for me at least.

Dick riding. You mean to say dick riding. As in straddling the eel, mounting the one-eyed snake, ascending the sausage, bestriding the bald man...

Go through my posts regarding ct and most of them acknowledge that I'm a cT fanboy or dick rider. I don't deny it.

But at the same time we don't see in him the same light. As a die hard halo 1 fan, the praise he deserves on his research of that game a long with insidious is insane. If you haven't looked into all the information he could provide, you'd see why people tend to dick ride him lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

And halo reach was shortly removed when it stopped making money.

So was halo 4.

Halo simply does not generate enough revenue for mlg to justify running at tournaments anymore.

If Halo 5 looks to be similar to Halo 2 and 3 in terms of competitive play then yes it will.

If Halo 5 looks to be similar to Halo 2 and 3 in terms of competitive play then yes it will.

well yeah, I'm obviously speaking about currently though.

Interesting to say the least...but here are two things that caught my eye

I think it's a combination of both ends of the spectrum. I think we want to make the multiplayer and the competitive game more accessible to people. At the same time, we want to take the core community much more seriously. Halo is lucky in a way that those things don't necessarily conflict with each other. We're able to create a vision and a version of the game on the far-end of the skill spectrum for pro players that works beautifully. If you watch it in a tournament when it's being properly narrated, it's a very elegant and challenging experience.

So if he doesn't want to take away the experience for the core community, (meaning I guess the Halo vets that want a classic Halo experience) then by the oracle why does he not see what damage Infinity Slayer as done in regards to pushing away the majority of the Halo community? Why does it take a damn tournament for him to see this almost a YEAR in to Halo 4's lifespan.

There's a lot of first person shooters where it's like 'bang, you're dead' and then there's no exciting-looking engagement. I think that can be very difficult for players at the lower-end of the skill range in those games. Halo on the other hand, I think anybody can watch an engagement by high-end players, and understand what the skill they're observing is, and see fairly exciting tense gameplay. I like watching competitive Halo more than a lot of other games.

To be honest, I watch something like StarCraft, and I can tell something awesome is happening, but I can't necessarily understand at a glance what's happening, and I think Halo is a little bit more like a fighting game in that regard. It's very watchable. We'll be thinking about that in the future too. We'll definitely always want to support the games' tradition of gameplay systems and playlists from normal to high-skilled players.

DID THE 1-50 RANK SYSTEM NOT DO THIS?!!!

"The 1-50 rank system has it's flaws"

Yet keeping it in Halo 4, (not the CSR) would've not pushed away 90% of Halo 4's playerbase?

The first question and answer pretty much said it all.  He had chances to set the tone for 5 and didn't.  Halo 5 will be the first one I don't buy at midnight.

The first question and answer pretty much said it all.  He had chances to set the tone for 5 and didn't.  Halo 5 will be the first one I don't buy at midnight.

10 bux says you still get it at midnight. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Does Frank get competitive mechanics? Or does he just like competitive gameplay? I'm concerned with the way he described his viewing experience; making halo "easy to understand" for a casual observer could mean the lack of sophisticated metagame and having "exciting engagements" could mean an over-emphasis on brute gunplay, without minutia like positioning and fine accuracy. 

At this point in our lives, with the history we have with this game and these developers. We still sit here and try to infer things from each little detail of the interview. To the point that we start arguing about the past games and these little details.

Constantly setting ourselves up for disappointment as a community. I want this game to be good just as much as the next guy, but I just can't deal with this kind of stuff anymore. Just give me something concrete to go on 343. Then we can talk so more. I'm too old and grumpy for all of this. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

At this point in our lives, with the history we have with this game and these developers. We still sit here and try to infer things from each little detail of the interview. To the point that we start arguing about the past games and these little details.

Constantly setting ourselves up for disappointment as a community. I want this game to be good just as much as the next guy, but I just can't deal with this kind of stuff anymore. Just give me something concrete to go on 343. Then we can talk so more. I'm too old and grumpy for all of this. 

I am pretty sure O'Connor has mastered the art of making it sound like hes really in tune and passionate about something, when hes really saying nothing concrete of meaning that we can really go off of. If 343 Put 100 percent into making a balanced social/comp game like Halo always has been the community would be satisfied, that is why ranked/social worked so well it was literally a representation of Halo's MP demographics.

Obviously there always been a huge divide in the Halo MP demographic and the different settings between play-lists is reflective of that. The divide between the guy playing SMG starts on Coagulation just looking for a  fun social experience and the guy playing primarily Hardcore/ranked play-lists/customs studying Walshy montages  is just too large and while "universal" play-lists would be ideal for unity in the community its just a reality that Halo MP demographics are just too diverse to all be catered to with universal play-list settings.

With all the new additions to the series the last two installments like AA's, custom load-outs, POD's, ect.. its obvious that the social crowd took more kindly to those additions than the comp crowd for whatever reason. So why not just have ranked play-lists like H2+H3 that is more Arena-style Halo and fit for small team-based play without those controversial additions(or at the very least majorly reduced), while social play-lists you can make that more "load-out style Halo" like Infinity settings in Halo 4 where customization and the full use of the Sandbox is emphasized. 

The ranked/social MM structure should of never been abandoned as we can now see it is very much needed to cater to the hugely diverse Halo community.