CyReN

Frank O'Connor On The Future Of Competitive Halo

Right. If we had some sort of legitimate sign that we were going back to a more classic style of Halo, then I think we would be a little more tame. Instead we heard earlier in the year that they scrapped something that they felt was too traditional, and opted for what we have now. The ranks and spectator modes are great, but I need way more to be sold.

Sometimes I feel like Shadowrun killed developers perception of competitive FPS. 

Right. If we had some sort of legitimate sign that we were going back to a more classic style of Halo, then I think we would be a little more tame. Instead we heard earlier in the year that they scrapped something that they felt was too traditional, and opted for what we have now. The ranks and spectator modes are great, but I need way more to be sold.

Sometimes I feel like Shadowrun killed developers perception of competitive FPS. 

After that came up on Reddit, Frankie confirmed it was just about Campaign, not MM.

Twitch shooting is not entirely dependent on the killtime, Quake was extremely twitch while killtimes frequently extended past three seconds.

Also, what's inherently wrong with twitch shooting? Sure, it works better with a mouse, but the new controller is supposed to be better, with smaller deadzones. Is no-scoping with the sniper not skillful?

Let me rephrase-  longer killtimes is good so that it matters less who sees who first, and gameplay tends to be more dynamic/ less camping based.

One of the great things about halo is the ability to turn on people.

• Upvote (+1) 1

After that came up on Reddit, Frankie confirmed it was just about Campaign, not MM.

so how am I supposed to know that they understand what traditional Halo multiplayer really is?

as good of news as your post was, I still found some bad in it.

so how am I supposed to know that they understand what traditional Halo multiplayer really is?

as good of news as your post was, I still found some bad in it.

Yup, I don't blame you. Every interview that I listen to where Frankie's involved, it makes me lose more hope in the future of Halo. Just some of the things he says makes me feel he doesn't know Halo at all and doesn't get it. I wish someone like Bravo who knows Halo inside and out had the power and influence that Frankie does. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Let me rephrase-  longer killtimes is good so that it matters less who sees who first, and gameplay tends to be more dynamic/ less camping based.

One of the great things about halo is the ability to turn on people.

I think other games with short kill times have gameplay like you described because of the slower movement speeds and ADSing. Because you can move at the maximum speed while shooting (conveniently ignoring Halo 4), seeing someone who is moving is not a guaranteed kill. Unlike Halo, in other games, even if you see them before you are dead, you still have to ADS and deal with flinch (again conveniently ignoring Halo 4).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Spread, De-scope, Flinch, Bloom, custom options for sprint and overall more custom options. The back end tweaking for weapon mods would be nice if they opened that up to the community. Loadouts, AA's, small competitive maps and there will most likely be more which I missed.

I think thats the main things that should be fixed/dealt in the next Halo. I don't see a point of dealing all with this in Halo 4, but I totally agree with the quote :)

What kept Halo CE skillful was that headshots mattered before shields were down. That's something that I think Halo would benefit from again. 

Hate to burst your bubble here, but no they didn't. Not any more or less than any other Halo game with bleedthru (eg h2 h3 ZBR).

Speaking of awesome pistols and ZB reach though:

I wouldnt mind if Halo looked like that, but skin that pistol as a rifle and make it difficult and godly.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Hate to burst your bubble here, but no they didn't. Not any more or less than any other Halo game with bleedthru (eg h2 h3 ZBR).

I wouldnt mind if Halo looked like that, but skin that pistol as a rifle and make it difficult and godly.

Not sure which part you are addressing, but you think headshots don't contribute to a more skillful game?

Up the magazine to 12 rounds, remove the bullet spread on it and that weapon could be as godly as you say if aim assist was also reduced and movement was good again. 

Even as it is, that montage was pretty refreshing to see.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not sure which part you are addressing, but you think headshots don't contribute to a more skillful game?

Maybe he was saying that it takes 2 body shots and one head shot to kill someone in ce?

• Upvote (+1) 1

The people that "get it" don't sign the checks or make the decisions. They have input. Quinn arguing that the flagnum was better, Kevin Franklin saying the AR was his favorite weapon, not understanding how spawns work etc. The people who can make decisions are not making the right ones. I've simply not seen anything to make me believe the core of Halo 5 will be a big improvement. Bravo being there would give me hope if I believe he had any real influence on actual DESIGN considerations.

Whoops accidental downvote meant to upvote lol

Maybe he was saying that it takes 2 body shots and one head shot to kill someone in ce?

Wait, are you saying that you don't need three head shots to kill someone in CE with the pistol? If that's true, then I have lived a lie for years! (I've always aimed for the head regardless). Though, Halo Wiki says this: "The M6D Pistol, however, made up for this slower fire rate with incredible firepower: it took only three headshots to kill an opponent." 

Source: http://h2.halowiki.net/p/Magnum_compared_to_the_Halo_CE_Pistol

Wait, are you saying that you don't need three head shots to kill someone in CE with the pistol? If that's true, then I have lived a lie for years! (I've always aimed for the head regardless). Though, Halo Wiki says this: "The M6D Pistol, however, made up for this slower fire rate with incredible firepower: it took only three headshots to kill an opponent." 

Source: http://h2.halowiki.net/p/Magnum_compared_to_the_Halo_CE_Pistol

The shield system has worked the same in every Halo game for 12 years (except for prepatch reach and single shot h4 weapons). Shots anywhere always do the same damage to the shields and if its any more than the shields, and the headshot weapon is on the head, the player dies. You can shoot someone twice in the foot and then in the head for a three shot kill in h1, just like pretty much every other Halo game.

Part of me is super insulted that anyone would trust some silly wiki site over me when it comes to Halo CE multiplayer, lol.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The shield system has worked the same in every Halo game for 12 years (except for prepatch reach and single shot h4 weapons). Shots anywhere always do the same damage to the shields and if its any more than the shields, and the headshot weapon is on the head, the player dies. You can shoot someone twice in the foot and then in the head for a three shot kill in h1, just like pretty much every other Halo game.

Part of me is super insulted that anyone would trust some silly wiki site over me when it comes to Halo CE multiplayer, lol.

Haha, I wasn't saying I didn't trust you, hence why I looked it up and said I could possibly be wrong. I played CE when I was younger, and I don't remember where that information started, but I always aimed for the head regardless. Well, looks like I learned something new. 

Haha, I wasn't saying I didn't trust you, hence why I looked it up and said I could possibly be wrong. I played CE when I was younger, and I don't remember where that information started, but I always aimed for the head regardless. Well, looks like I learned something new. 

no worries Im just an arrogant jerk ;]

I think it's a combination of both ends of the spectrum. I think we want to make the multiplayer and the competitive game more accessible to people. At the same time, we want to take the core community much more seriously. Halo is lucky in a way that those things don't necessarily conflict with each other. We're able to create a vision and a version of the game on the far-end of the skill spectrum for pro players that works beautifully. If you watch it in a tournament when it's being properly narrated, it's a very elegant and challenging experience.

You make the comp game more accessible and the game itself by implementing things like ranking systems, spec mode, training play-lists, ect.. without randomizing the spread on the BR and making the game play worse because of it. Ever since Halo 3 the developers have taken the wrong route in making the MP more "accessible" by trying to dumb down and randomize the game and look where that has gotten us. I just miss the days when I could fire Halo 2+3 up and play competitively in every default ranked play-lists if I wanted to, sure there was radar and crap but the game-play was competitive at its core. Now I feel like that Arena-style Halo is a thing of the past and 343 has set Halo MP on a contradictory course and ignored the core tenants of past games, I just dont see how competitive Halo returns with the damage Reach+H4 have done to the core game-play. Its not even an issue of comp features for me, I just dont enjoy Halo Reach+H4 like I did past Halo's.

That being said, at least it sounds like 343 is taking comp Halo and the core community more seriously, it sucks that he didn't commit to spec mode or more tournaments but he certainly implied them. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

This isn’t going to be our only tournament.

We need a Frank O' Conner emoticon now  :maven:

If Halo 5 is better than CE, only then can Frankie be a Beyond emoticon. 

• Upvote (+1) 7