CyReN

Frank O'Connor On The Future Of Competitive Halo

Josh Holmes works for 343. The guy calls Halo gay and then Josh calls the guy out on Dante. Calling Dantes inferno gay, and in turn the guy.

no he's calling devil may cry gay lol.

What I can gather through these last few weeks is that they are willing to work with the competitive community to them options that allow their fans to spectate and cast tournaments with ease. They might do something with in game competitive ranks, to help add incentive to play the "competitive" game types.

What absolutely nobody knows is what they are going to do with the core game. Like Lemon said, our real issues right now aren't ranks and spectator mode. Those are great additions and should be included in the series, but there needs to be more done if they truly want to make their game competitive. Especially when we have Titanfall which looks like it's going to be a breath of fresh air compared to CoD.

I'm still concerned with them dumbing the game down and making it more accessible, while still giving us ranks and spectator mode. What they need to do is work with top tier players as well as low tier players and see how we can help create accessibility for those low tier players, while keeping the skill gap high for top tier players. If halo CE had a menu in which it listed the weapon times for each map, that would help tremendously with accessibility. Hints on loading screens and tutorials need to be re-worked from "press X to get into the warthog" to "organize a push for the powerweapons before they respawn, allowing your team to lock down weapons" show pictures of maps from overhead views with all the weapons on them etc.

I think game devs need help with trying to make their games accessible.

• Upvote (+1) 5

"There's a lot of first person shooters where it's like 'bang, you're dead' and then there's no exciting-looking engagement. I think that can be very difficult for players at the lower-end of the skill range in those games."

They will never learn. Let noobs play other noobs with matchmaking that actually works and then no one has a problem. You don't fix this problem with accessibility, you do it with segregation. God damn it.

Meet the new Halo, same as the last Halo.

I just realized he meant they were going to keep Halo's killtimes long...

And also keep aim assist high so lower-end skilled players can have an "exciting-looking engagement"

"A perfectly accurate and powerful, but difficult to use utility weapon"

Those words and 90% of my fears for the competitiveness of Halo 5 would disappear.

(Because there's no way 343 would implement sprint and descope as base abilities again, amiright?) :)

I doubt they would implement one main utility even though its what the competitive community want. But then again from the interview it seems like they know that adding gimmicks and all that BS has translated into H4, and Reach being less successful than H2/H3 so there is hope that they go back to basics.

I honestly don't see the need for MLG if AGL keeps doing what they are doing, and 343 holds huge tournaments 2 or more times a year.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"There's a lot of first person shooters where it's like 'bang, you're dead' and then there's no exciting-looking engagement. I think that can be very difficult for players at the lower-end of the skill range in those games."

They will never learn. Let noobs play other noobs with matchmaking that actually works and then no one has a problem. You don't fix this problem with accessibility, you do it with segregation. God damn it.

Pretty much echoing what I said in my first post. Accessibility is through allowing players to learn at their own pace and matched with similar skill levels. Sigh~

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's the problem isn't it? Kind of to correlate CoachMayyne and Saucey's feelings of late -- I feel that they are talking to people who 'get it', and not to Frank. I still feel that at the top of the ladder, they don't get it. 

Remember this picture? What has changed? wheelchair-620x350.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 8

I doubt they would implement one main utility even though its what the competitive community want. But then again from the interview it seems like they know that adding gimmicks and all that BS has translated into H4, and Reach being less successful than H2/H3 so there is hope that they go back to basics.

A consistent and powerful utility weapon (should) be part of Halo's core. If they really think it will damage the sandbox (instead of actually providing the stable base to design a good sandbox) then they can keep it as a pickup on casual playlists. Pretty soon everyone will veto for it lol.

Accessibility should be done by making a game then including ways to teach players the basics within the game rather than by just making the game easier to succeed in at a basic level. 

And also keep aim assist high so lower-end skilled players can have an "exciting-looking engagement"

Yup, exactly.

Training playlists, incoming waypoints on spawning power weapons for all players, good matchmaking.

There are a ton of ways you can improve accessibility without hugely impacting the top end of your player base. They just don't care because their ways are "proven" to make lots of money. HOPEFULLY halo 4 showed them that changing things a little might be a good idea. But I sincerely doubt it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Like Lemon said, our real issues right now aren't ranks and spectator mode.

So... the footsteps is the main issue in Halo. Got it  :kappa:

On a serious note, what things should be fixed so the gameplay can be better in this Halo?. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

good.  a 1.5 s killtime/ around that is what I want.  It forces engagements of skill and consistancy rather than just twitch.

All what he was saying is that this is a competitive spectator benefit that halo has over call of duty.  It is easier to recognize sick plays in halo and the skill required since the killtimes are longer.

Josh Holmes works for 343. The guy calls Halo gay and then Josh calls the guy out on Dante. Calling Dantes inferno gay, and in turn the guy.

He was not calling dante's inferno gay- he was just saying that it is gay to have a picture of dante as your twitter picture.  He would probably say the same if it was a picture of marcus fenix or any other non-halo video game character.

I don't get it. Am I missing something?

It is a faux pas to have your twitter/facebook/etc. picture be a picture of a videogame character instead of a picture of you.

On a serious note, what things should be fixed so the gameplay can be better in this Halo?. 

Stop asking questions just to ask questions.  You tend to do this a lot and you already know what gameplay changes need to be made.  That is a different topic entirely and belongs in other threads (where you have seen it many times before).

Every big game is having their own tournaments now. Games used to need MLG, and now every game that is featured on the circuit is fine by themselves.

That's the problem isn't it? Kind of to correlate CoachMayyne and Saucey's feelings of late -- I feel that they are talking to people who 'get it', and not to Frank. I still feel that at the top of the ladder, they don't get it. 

The people that "get it" don't sign the checks or make the decisions. They have input. Quinn arguing that the flagnum was better, Kevin Franklin saying the AR was his favorite weapon, not understanding how spawns work etc. The people who can make decisions are not making the right ones. I've simply not seen anything to make me believe the core of Halo 5 will be a big improvement. Bravo being there would give me hope if I believe he had any real influence on actual DESIGN considerations.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What does this even have to do with anything in this thread?

This ^

It's why I was confused, lol. Had nothing to do with the interview. 

I think that the storm rifle and the supressor need to go and be changed to something more original.

no he's calling devil may cry gay lol.

Right. I knew that but.... nevermind.   ME =  :trash:

What does this even have to do with anything in this thread?

Like I said, It was on frankies twitter, which Beyond linked. I later in my post had stuff to go with this thread. Your post has nothing to do with anything in this thread either.    :walshy:   Now you posted above me. Im bad.

Is it me, or people as usual have different perspectives from the interview?

Different outcomes, opinions, etc etc.

Frank said Hello:

Person No1: he said Hello
Person No2: Halo is Back
Person No3 Halo is Ruined

Wait: I'm not making fun of anybody, is just its quite interesting and frustrating that from the same sentence we all have different opinions and (not now but usually...) we get in a heated discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yup, exactly.

Training playlists, incoming waypoints on spawning power weapons for all players, good matchmaking.

There are a ton of ways you can improve accessibility without hugely impacting the top end of your player base. They just don't care because their ways are "proven" to make lots of money. HOPEFULLY halo 4 showed them that changing things a little might be a good idea. But I sincerely doubt it.

Is it worth your time to help me come up with various ideas on how to keep a skill gap within the game while still focusing on accessibility for new players? I want to compile as many ideas as possible and write up something nice for them. It can range from what I said about having actually useful information on loading or main screens, or how they can re-work matchmaking and use segregation as you said. I doubt this John Menke guy (don't know if thats even right) will be able to speak about what he plans on doing, but I still plan on talking to him drive home the point on how matchmaking can be effective for creating accessibility.

good.  a 1.5 s killtime/ around that is what I want.  It forces engagements of skill and consistancy rather than just twitch.

Twitch shooting is not entirely dependent on the killtime, Quake was extremely twitch while killtimes frequently extended past three seconds.

Also, what's inherently wrong with twitch shooting? Sure, it works better with a mouse, but the new controller is supposed to be better, with smaller deadzones. Is no-scoping with the sniper not skillful?

Frank said Hello:

Wait: I'm not making fun of anybody, is just its quite interesting and frustrating that from the same sentence we all have different opinions and (not now but usually...) we get in a heated discussion.

The halo community is relentless lol. IMO Dedicated servers, 60 fps, a fresh coat of paint on the franchise, classic gameplay, a ranking system and spectator mode if all implemented should make the comp community more or less happy. 

Twitch shooting is not entirely dependent on the killtime, Quake was extremely twitch while killtimes frequently extended past three seconds.

Also, what's inherently wrong with twitch shooting? Is no-scoping with the sniper not skillful?

If we made the kill times faster based on skill, then I don't see the problem. What kept Halo CE skillful was that headshots mattered before shields were down. That's something that I think Halo would benefit from again. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So... the footsteps is the main issue in Halo. Got it  :kappa:

Spread, De-scope, Flinch, Bloom, custom options for sprint and overall more custom options. The back end tweaking for weapon mods would be nice if they opened that up to the community. Loadouts, AA's, small competitive maps and there will most likely be more which I missed.

I'm not a game developer so I don't know exactly what comes into play here.. but why can 343i go ahead and say that they are working on spectator mode but they won't make a statement about in game mechanics that are arguably less important? I guess it's just that.. it's less important? Literally nobody knows.

Frank said Hello:

Like I've said before, a forum is a place for discussion. Discussion stems from opinions, and not everyone has the same opinion. Everyone reads through their own lens. Frank has an outlook on Halo, that differs from mine, and his understanding of how to fix it or or get more people to embrace it is something that has yet to be seen to work. Rather, looking for a gametype like FFA or getting the competitive scene to embrance Richochet, there will always end up being a skill-gap. How you get people to learn and embrace that people will be better than them, is how you fix it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The halo community is relentless lol. IMO Dedicated servers, 60 fps, a fresh coat of paint on the franchise, classic gameplay, a ranking system and spectator mode if all implemented should make the comp community more or less happy. 

We've not had any signs or pointers that H5 will feature "classic gameplay". 

• Upvote (+1) 8