CyReN

Frank O'Connor On The Future Of Competitive Halo

We've not had any signs or pointers that H5 will feature "classic gameplay". 

When Did I say we did? I'm just saying thats what most of us are hoping for.

When Did I say we did? I'm just saying thats what most of us are hoping for.

Yes, but you were implying that was going to be in H5. Everything else you mentioned has more or less been confirmed or highly likely for Halo 5. If you have all those features (ingame ranks, spec mode etc) but you don't have classic Halo gameplay and more classed based Halo like Reach/4, the game will still flop.

We're only relentless because we love Halo and want to see it succeed. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

"This isn't going to be our only tournament."  YES!

"It's not to say it will never happen, but bluntly speaking we should be spending our resources for the future and not for the past. I wish it was in there."    :/ no halo 2 remake?

Hopefully they combine the dmr and br to create a human light rifle:

fires a 4 shot kill 3 round burst(very little spread but w/ dedis out of scope=lead your shot

Scoped in is a 3 shot concentrated zero burst kill)

Descope counters the 3 shot scoped in kill.

Magnum is a 4sk but limited rrr out of scope and a X3 scope(zero bloom)

Carbine 6sk

Light rifle stays the same

4 primaries

Oh and boltshot turns into a 3 round burst 4sk pistol close to medium range rrr

NS

DESCOPE

All other weapons are on map pickups

AA's and PW's merge into the power ups on map. The AC is an armor ability that makes you completely invisible for a set period of time. OS is a piece of equipment you spartan straps on to create an over shield.

Mega bombshell reveal: 'firefight one' goes back to playing as ODST(low shields maybe?), 8 or 12 max players against hordes of covenant, flood, sentinels, knights, possible new enemy

AI human-killer horde.

HIRE MARTY TO DO THE MUSIC!!! It does not matter what deal needs to be worked out get it done.

"This isn't going to be our only tournament."  YES!

"It's not to say it will never happen, but bluntly speaking we should be spending our resources for the future and not for the past. I wish it was in there."    :/ no halo 2 remake?

I believe he was referring to not adding in features to a current game after it's shipped and instead, focus on newer projects. H2A is still a possibility, I think he was just talking about stuff like descoping/actual ingame ranks for Halo 4. That's why Sustain teams are so small compared to the actual dev team working on an upcoming title. 

I believe he was referring to not adding in features to a current game after it's shipped and instead, focus on newer projects. H2A is still a possibility, I think he was just talking about stuff like descoping/actual ingame ranks for Halo 4. That's why Sustain teams are so small compared to the actual dev team working on an upcoming title. 

Really hope that descope makes it in though miss it so much.

Really hope that descope makes it in though miss it so much.

If you're talking about H4, it's been confirmed we're not getting Descoping.

If you're talking about H5, 343 would be stupid not to put Descoping back in. 

If you're talking about H4, it's been confirmed we're not getting Descoping.

If you're talking about H5, 343 would be stupid not to put Descoping back in. 

talking about halo 5.

talking about halo 5.

Ahh, okay. Yeah, I think they've learned their lesson. They've had enough complaints about it from Players, Community leaders and Pros. 

:lxthul:

I cringed when I read that. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seems like they are focusing more so on H5.. at least that is what it sounds like to me.

Ah well..   Good read regardless, but knew we were going to get the "cant talk about future stuff" comments..

Boy, it sure seems like every single Halo game after H1 was "rushed out the door." Seems to be becoming a common excuse.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Boy, it sure seems like every single Halo game after H1 was "rushed out the door." Seems to be becoming a common excuse.

As I recall, even h1 mp was an afterthought that was rushed. Every halo game has been rushed, with h2 probably suffering from it the most. That said, h3 was the game they really wanted to make, and that's just sad.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Not really too happy with the interview. Didn't make me believe that he was as ambitious as to keep halo competitive. I do believe that they have a little more knowledge in to what it takes to make it competitive but don't really want to do it. Still wants to make it accessible....eliminate skill-gap is what it sounds like to me.

His points are only as much as what he could say I get that...but he just doesn't connect sometimes....still low faith :/

As I recall, even h1 mp was an afterthought that was rushed. Every halo game has been rushed, with h2 probably suffering from it the most. That said, h3 was the game they really wanted to make, and that's just sad.

What about H3 do you dislike? Besides the bad BR spread and netcode.

Did he say anything noteworthy or did he just regularly avoid every question asked like he normally does

Why don't you read the fucking article first before you make snide remarks.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If you would qualify(personally) the competitive merits of each Halo(from best to worst),how would you qualify them ? I think I have an idea of what you are going to say but knowing it so would be re-assuring as each Halo game was kinda rushed(assumed by Microsoft) and all results have been completely different.

The sad part is that Halo CE multiplayer was developed in an even shorter time frame than the rest of the games...

Halo 3 did add amazing things once they had time like: Online Co-Op, Campaign Scoring, Skulls, Forge, Theater, Fileshares, etc. It may not be what exactly you wanted out of a Halo but to call it sad is a bit harsh considering the amazing things that most people enjoyed from it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Remember this picture? What has changed? wheelchair-620x350.jpg

Someone should have shown this image to Frank at PAX and asked him if he still supports this. I would love to hear his answer now or maybe a better word to use is "curious".

"There's a lot of first person shooters where it's like 'bang, you're dead' and then there's no exciting-looking engagement. I think that can be very difficult for players at the lower-end of the skill range in those games."

They will never learn. Let noobs play other noobs with matchmaking that actually works and then no one has a problem. You don't fix this problem with accessibility, you do it with segregation. God damn it.

Meet the new Halo, same as the last Halo.

You're the Shaaman of this community. You know that right?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Although this didn't give that much actual information about Halo 5....it was 10x better than what Frankie normally says. This definitely gave me a little more hope for Halo 5. I find it funny that it took CoD champs and Halo to tank both online and competitively for them to realize they need to make some changes and wake the fuck up.

...perfectly organized wall of text

Imagine how awesome it would be if developers would come in here and drop knowledge bombs the way cT does. Would be amazing, thanks cT; hope you aren't looking at retirement anytime soon.

• Upvote (+1) 3