CyReN

Frank O'Connor On The Future Of Competitive Halo

This isn't going to be our only tournament. I think people tend to think of tournaments as annual beats where you get one big event, and certainly the next thing we're going to do is obviously looking at teams. 

This, right here. YES 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Honestly, lots of general statments with a few good points such as spectator mode is definitely coming IMO. Not really surprised that he wouldn't give us ANY information on what to expect about Halo 5, but at the same time it is disappointing to say the least -- given the circumstances. 

Did he say anything noteworthy or did he just regularly avoid every question asked like he normally does

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

It is great news, but its also great marketing. Sorry had to say it.

EDIT: Without being an asshole; I don't get the whole boner for spectator mode. What is it without a good game? Spec mode wouldn't save Halo 4 one bit right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I laughed a little bit at the "Team slayer pros" part

but other than that it is a good read/interview!

• Upvote (+1) 2

So Halo 4 was rushed out the door. Seeing as the next Halo is on the One, there should be NO excuse for no Spectator mode this time.

• Upvote (+1) 5

No hard questions were asked, they all related to general things about the tournament. 

Nothing of value is in the article, really. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

"This was a way to get people who are out for the summer break, or maybe not even paying attention to this kind of thing, an access point to get them interested so that when we do stuff later on, maybe even later on this year, then we can have them be interested in an idea of competitive play period"

my_body_is_ready.png

But seriously, really good interview!

Edit: Holy ***, that picture is twice as big as it was suppose to be

• Upvote (+1) 7

This is really general and he avoids some questions but I like his statements about spectator mode and working together with competitive players

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

He actually used to drop by on various different community sites back when he was at Bungie. I thought this was his Beyond debut. =P

Great read. Very interesting. 

0WiYj.gif on first page. Will update this post with my thoughts after looking at it.

OK. I read it. There are important bits in that article, particularly surrounding spectator mode. But there still needs to be an interview that asks harder and more direct questions. 

6/10 interview. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

" I'd love to work with MLG again in the future, and there's nothing actually preventing that. It's more about what they're interested in, what they want to get out of it.

Then why there's no Halo 4 MLG if Frank would be glad by working with MLG?  :o 

"Now that said, we're a fully formed team now. We understand our capabilities and scale of our operation a lot better than we did when we first formed to take over the Halo franchise. Competitive play, spectator mode, any kind of video-based or tournament-based activity is something we're taking very seriously for the future."

Now thats something very promising. Well, its true what he says... Halo 4 was kinda rushed, I believe thats why SOME things such as CSR were implemented later on.

"There's a lot of first person shooters where it's like 'bang, you're dead' and then there's no exciting-looking engagement. I think that can be very difficult for players at the lower-end of the skill range in those games."

This is what most people say, which I totally agree. Halo is more than that. That's why it is interesting to watch, cuz anything can happen because of the players and their skills.

I'm quite satisfied with this interview, got some answers and new measurement for the competitive scene in the next Halo. I'm actually satisfied. 

OK. I read it. There are important bits in that article, particularly surrounding spectator mode. But there still needs to be an interview that asks harder and more direct questions.

6/10 interview.

Like? Like he can't really comment on Halo 5.

" I'd love to work with MLG again in the future, and there's nothing actually preventing that. It's more about what they're interested in, what they want to get out of it.

@MLGSundance

• Upvote (+1) 6

MLG doesnt want to work with halo. They already have a FPS on the circuit (CoD)

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Now that said, we're a fully formed team now. We understand our capabilities and scale of our operation a lot better than we did when we first formed to take over the Halo franchise. Competitive play, spectator mode, any kind of video-based or tournament-based activity is something we're taking very seriously for the future."

Now thats something very promising. Well, its true what he says... Halo 4 was kinda rushed, I believe thats why SOME things such as CSR were implemented later on.

"There's a lot of first person shooters where it's like 'bang, you're dead' and then there's no exciting-looking engagement. I think that can be very difficult for players at the lower-end of the skill range in those games."

This is what most people say, which I totally agree. Halo is more than that. That's why it is interesting to watch, cuz anything can happen because of the players and their skills.

I'm quite satisfied with this interview, got some answers and new measurement for the competitive scene in the next Halo. I'm actually satisfied. 

Because MLG doesn't see enough potential (revenue) out of Halo 4. It was about MLG the whole time. They didn't want to pick up Halo 4. They may have tried to make it seem like VG was some kind of obstacle but it really wasn't.

• Upvote (+1) 9

That kinda sucks then... what was his excuse/statement of why he didn't want Halo on the circuit? I believe MLG was successful thanks to Halo.

MLG doesnt want to work with halo. They already have a FPS on the circuit (CoD)

Black Ops was in the circuit while Halo: Reach was too. :o

Because MLG doesn't see enough potential (revenue) out of Halo 4. It was about MLG the whole time. They didn't want to pick up Halo 4. They may have tried to make it seem like VG was some kind of obstacle but it really wasn't.

Can you really blame MLG for not picking up the game? If anything, I think it was a good thing to send the message, and hopefully 343i understands that the 'halo title' isn't alone going to put it on the circuit. 

• Upvote (+1) 8