CoachMayyne

My Thoughts on H4GC

They didn't have to bring it back. Bullet spread was already there.

ZB DMR still had spread? I was also referring to the BR...they could have brougth back the H2 version...but that's too easy.

I thought 343 'got it' when they gave us ZBNS and when they said they designed Halo 4's maps with competitive play in mind, then they released Halo 4.

I don't really care about what's said by 343 in the meantime (or what anyone else thinks about what 343 says), until/unless they divulge specifics.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its hard not to change your opinion of somebody once you have met them in real life. I forgot to mention this but, once word got out that I was at the event on friday I was nervous what would come next. If I saw some "kid" at the event that was Trashing my game from the past 7+months I would have been mad and confused as well. They could have asked me to leave, but thankfully it never came to that. I was probably the last person they would ever see at this event let alone want to me. They were all busy and the fact that they gave me 5-15mins to talk to me, I am just grateful for that. 

What did you guys talk about?

Did you talk about specific gameplay mechanics like descope/sprint/etc.   or were you mostly talking about stuff like spec mode/ balancing competitive and casual communities, etc ?

Basically I'm just curious as to what your conversations entailed- and what exactly the guys at 343 seemed to learn coming off of halo 4.

What did you guys talk about?

Did you talk about specific gameplay mechanics like descope/sprint/etc.   or were you mostly talking about stuff like spec mode/ balancing competitive and casual communities, etc ?

Basically I'm just curious as to what your conversations entailed- and what exactly the guys at 343 seemed to learn coming off of halo 4.

I had a very limited time to talk to 343. You guys are hyping this up too much. Ghost would be the guy to talk to about this kind of stuff. I talked to them about all the issues that your brought up. They "got it" as  and they listened and understood.  I know thats not much to go on, but its a start. We as community had very very little communication with Bungie so for 343 to take the time and listen. Its a good start. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Please never change your sig, I stare at it for like 2 minutes every time I see it haha

Every time I watch it, I think to myself, "Wow, how hard do you have to choke to get ninja'd like that."

Please never change your sig, I stare at it for like 2 minutes every time I see it haha

Every time I watch it, I think to myself, "Wow, how hard do you have to choke to get ninja'd like that."

yeah thanks haha.  It actually took me like an hour to create this gif with the right quality/size/no watermark so it's nice to know that my efforts were appreciated.

Also, he could be an alt account for coachmayne, so that would explain the choking. :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 3

yeah thanks haha.  It actually took me like an hour to create this gif with the right quality/size/no watermark so it's nice to know that my efforts were appreciated.

Also, he could be an alt account for coachmayne, so that would explain the choking. :lxthul:

Haha, wow you actually made it yourself, props. I assumed it was a gif already because of how sick the play was. That one stands out the most to me from all the ESPN Top 10's.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haha, I was going to mention this in my post. For those who don't know back on THC you could give + or -nep and explain why you gave them rep. Ppl would constantly -rep back on THC Sept-Nov because I was too negative about Halo4 and they didn't think I knew Halo at all. Calling me a "Troll" and what have you. So in turn I just +rep them and would post info about Halo4. Just one instance of me being an asshole. Ironically enough, Cyren was the one who banned me from THC forums, the first time. :frank:

I posted about this all the time back on THC, at least point 8+months after launch there is no point trying to explain what needs to change. 343 now understands their mistakes. Example, Frankie interview from yesterday.

Its hard not to change your opinion of somebody once you have met them in real life. I forgot to mention this but, once word got out that I was at the event on friday I was nervous what would come next. If I saw some "kid" at the event that was Trashing my game from the past 7+months I would have been mad and confused as well. They could have asked me to leave, but thankfully it never came to that. I was probably the last person they would ever see at this event let alone want to me. They were all busy and the fact that they gave me 5-15mins to talk to me, I am just grateful for that.

Thanks, :ghost: The into post was an inside joke btw.

My post and the interview with Frankie out within 2 hours of each other Coincidence? :ninja:

The fact that Quinn tweeted this out, shows of far we have come as a community. I have accomplished everything I was set to do. I wanted the halo community to know my past and why I chose to act the way I do. As, well as 343 to acknowledge not just my opinion of halo but everyones who shared the same with me.

I appreciate the effort but that wasn't what I had in mind. When you pm'd me asking how old I was, I responded by asking are you solely interested in my age? Or were you interested in providing the insight that I requested? You assured me it was both.

However we haven't made any progress. If you have done this multiple times already, would you mind linking me to a thread that show cases this? You stated once again that 343 gets it, but I just want to read what areas you specifically you don't agree with, as well as what you could overlook. Has none of your opinions changed over the last 8 months?

I'm not going to be literal and assume every issue you have a problem with is going to be resolved, it just helps provide insight.

My decision to buy an Xbox One and Halo 5 will likely be made a few weeks after Halo 5 is released. 

I bought into the hype last time from 343i. And deservedly so, they made some nice changes to Halo Reach despite making it essentially two games, instead of universal across the board. 

However, Halo 4 returned to everything I hated about Reach and more. It actually disappoints me to say pre-TU Reach is more like traditional Halo than anything in the majority of Halo 4's MM. 

Regardless, too many people in the competitive community had a lot of high hopes for H4. And honestly, to me it just looks like a cycle that is beginning to repeat itself. 

So I'm waiting for that "honeymoon" phase to be over. Shouldn't take much longer than a few days for some, and a few weeks for others. If the majority of the community can agree that 343i "got it" then I just might "get it."  

But I feel like there are so many problems with the direction that Halo 4 took, that I just can't see them fixing these mistakes for Halo 5. 

Halo 5 will most likely break sales records (for Halo/xb1 games).. regardless of how good or poor it is. Which is not a good thing for traditional Halo players if it continues down the path it has taken from Reach/H4. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

My decision to buy an Xbox One and Halo 5 will likely be made a few weeks after Halo 5 is released. 

I bought into the hype last time from 343i. And deservedly so, they made some nice changes to Halo Reach despite making it essentially two games, instead of universal across the board. 

However, Halo 4 returned to everything I hated about Reach and more. It actually disappoints me to say pre-TU Reach is more like traditional Halo than anything in the majority of Halo 4's MM. 

Regardless, too many people in the competitive community had a lot of high hopes for H4. And honestly, to me it just looks like a cycle that is beginning to repeat itself. 

So I'm waiting for that "honeymoon" phase to be over. Shouldn't take much longer than a few days for some, and a few weeks for others. If the majority of the community can agree that 343i "got it" then I just might "get it."  

But I feel like there are so many problems with the direction that Halo 4 took, that I just can't see them fixing these mistakes for Halo 5. 

Halo 5 will most likely break sales records (for Halo/xb1 games).. regardless of how good or poor it is. Which is not a good thing for traditional Halo players if it continues down the path it has taken from Reach/H4. 

I seriously doubt that, Halo fans are not stupid I believe if the Halo 5 previews come out and its Halo 4.5 and 343 does not "get it" a large portion of disgruntled fans will just hop on the Destiny band-wagon(you know its coming) or whatever other game is hot.

Halo Reach and Halo 4 both sold less than Halo 3 overall so far and with all the new shooters(MP shooters really) coming out on Xbox One Halo 5 is going to have some serious competition. How many people are going to be playing Halo 4 when Halo 5 comes out like 10k tops?(to be optimistic after the release of Titan-fall,Destiny,CoD ghosts+another cod game) I believe Halo 3 still had like 150k-200k+ playing in 2010 when Reach came out, Halo 5 will really have to re-invigorate the MP fan-base while also competing with the new titles.

I thought 343 'got it' when they gave us ZBNS and when they said they designed Halo 4's maps with competitive play in mind, then they released Halo 4.

I don't really care about what's said by 343 in the meantime (or what anyone else thinks about what 343 says), until/unless they divulge specifics.

just for correction 343 did not implement No Sprint nor did 343 stick to zero bloom. 

Zero bloom was offered as a gametype by 343 that was adopted by MLG and we added no sprint (which was a toggle-able option in Halo Reach from the start).

And secondly default matchmaking was mostly still 100% bloom or 75% bloom with 343 deciding not to use zero bloom as default. most of default matchmaking still had AAs and sprint

• Upvote (+1) 1

would you mind linking me to a thread that show cases this? You stated once again that 343 gets it, but I just want to read what areas you specifically you don't agree with, as well as what you could overlook. Has none of your opinions changed over the last 8 months?

Has my mind changed about Halo4 for the last 8 months? quick answer No. Yes, it has evolved but the game has no longevity aka--> http://halocharts.com/2013/playlists_halo4.php I posted countless times on THC  what I wanted to see in Halo4.  There is no point in talking about Halo4 because the game is done. That being said, Im surprised Franke said that there would be more Halo4 events.  I don't know about that because by December the Halo4 pop. will be under 15K everyday if not lower. 

Has my mind changed about 343 since the launch of Halo4? quick answer Yes.

• Upvote (+1) 3

just for correction 343 did not implement No Sprint nor did 343 stick to zero bloom. 

Zero bloom was offered as a gametype by 343 that was adopted by MLG and we added no sprint (which was a toggle-able option in Halo Reach from the start).

And secondly default matchmaking was mostly still 100% bloom or 75% bloom with 343 deciding not to use zero bloom as default. most of default matchmaking still had AAs and sprint

So what you're saying is that 343 didn't even have a flash of brilliance or understanding, they just wanted MLG players to shut up. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

So what you're saying is that 343 didn't even have a flash of brilliance or understanding, they just wanted MLG players to shut up. 

I dont know if this actually true or not, but if it is...then you are 100% correct, Lemon.

Isn't that where the weapon balancing patch came from?

I seriously doubt that, Halo fans are not stupid I believe if the Halo 5 previews come out and its Halo 4.5 and 343 does not "get it" a large portion of disgruntled fans will just hop on the Destiny band-wagon(you know its coming) or whatever other game is hot.

Halo Reach and Halo 4 both sold less than Halo 3 overall so far and with all the new shooters(MP shooters really) coming out on Xbox One Halo 5 is going to have some serious competition. 

Halo 4 has sold over 8 million copies. The mass majority of people don't even play the online MP. So the mechanics of how everything really works, doesn't even matter to them. 

Even if we compare the figures between just Reach and H4. It shows that less than a million people "learned their lesson" and decided against purchasing Halo 4. Were you one of them? I certainly was not. So I could consider myself a "stupid Halo fan" because I for some reason expected something better/different than Reach. Even when they gave us all the warning signs that what we were going to receive was further and further away from a traditional Halo experience. (Random Ordinance Drops + Random Personal Ordinance, Join in Progress, No True Rank system, etc) 

So I think it will sell well for a few major reasons, its a huge exclusive on the Xbox One, it is Microsoft's flagship title/franchise, it will be marketed and hyped as the definitive Xbox one game to own. Halo 3 likely benefited from being in the same position. The biggest factor in the number of units it sells, is ultimately going to be based on how successful the Xbox One is. Not how it plays, or how MM works. 

Halo 3 has roughly 3.3 million sales on Halo 4, with a 5 year head start. I don't believe Halo 4 will ever surpass it (but the GOTY edition may give it a decent bump).. but I know first hand that I purchased at least 3-4 copies of Halo 3 myself. Who knows how many others out there did the same as me. 

So the difference in true unique purchases might not be that great in the end. 

Halo 4 has sold over 8 million copies. The mass majority of people don't even play the online MP. So the mechanics of how everything really works, doesn't even matter to them. 

Even if we compare the figures between just Reach and H4. It shows that less than a million people "learned their lesson" and decided against purchasing Halo 4. Were you one of them? I certainly was not. So I could consider myself a "stupid Halo fan" because I for some reason expected something better/different than Reach. Even when they gave us all the warning signs that what we were going to receive was further and further away from a traditional Halo experience. (Random Ordinance Drops + Random Personal Ordinance, Join in Progress, No True Rank system, etc) 

So I think it will sell well for a few major reasons, its a huge exclusive on the Xbox One, it is Microsoft's flagship title/franchise, it will be marketed and hyped as the definitive Xbox one game to own. Halo 3 likely benefited from being in the same position. The biggest factor in the number of units it sells, is ultimately going to be based on how successful the Xbox One is. Not how it plays, or how MM works. 

Halo 3 has roughly 3.3 million sales on Halo 4, with a 5 year head start. I don't believe Halo 4 will ever surpass it (but the GOTY edition may give it a decent bump).. but I know first hand that I purchased at least 3-4 copies of Halo 3 myself. Who knows how many others out there did the same as me. 

So the difference in true unique purchases might not be that great in the end. 

Halo Reach had an excuse for selling less however, it was a Spin-off to the main Halo story-line which meant Chief and Cortana were not in the game among other things. Halo 4 had all the major head-lines going for it "MC+Cortana is back", "Whole new world+whole new threat", "BR is back",ect.. and while I believe it sold the best out of any Halo game at the beginning, it lacked the word of mouth and staying power of H2+H3 because the core Halo MP fan-base rejected the game more than Reach.

I still expect Halo 5 to sell in the range of 6-9 million copies, but I would not be surprised if it sells less than Halo 4 if its not a quality Halo game.

Okay, clearly I'm missing something. Why is everyone hating on join-in-progress? After spending all night in Throwdown getting kids quitting out, I am wishing JIP lasted the whole game, not just the first minute or whatever it is. I could see how joining a game with 2 minutes left or something would be dumb, but honestly if lobbies worked properly games should move much quicker. Everyone backs out after every game and re-searches, and I can't help but think that is drastically slowing down MMing. If they reorganized teams after each game based on player performances (not separating parties ofc), people would probably be willing to stay in the lobby and fast track to another game instead of back out.

Join in progress is NOT a good way to solve the quitting issue.  At best it's akin to putting a band aid on a festering wound.

The solution is to implement a system that punishes quitting enough to deter people from doing it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think what Cyren is trying to say is that somehwhere up the corporate ladder a Microsoft Executive who doesnt play video games looks at the sales charts for Halo 4 and views it as a smash success. 

However I do feel like the steep drop off in population should be a red alert to 343i and Microsoft - im sure they are well aware they need to recapture the community again because if they dont it will affect their bottom line - sales.

“Halo 4 is the best and fastest-selling Halo game in the series. It won critical acclaim. It won awards, from Best Graphics at the VGAs to Game of the Year at the Inside Gaming Awards. We altered the engine. We expanded the universe. We innovated in storytelling, technology, and even marketing." - Frank O'Connor

To be fair he does go on to say there's a lot of room for improvement, but somehow that statement doesn't sit well with me.  It seems focused on campaign and has that "too far from the weeds" air to it.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about Halo 5.  I think they'll improve the game mechanics.  But I'm really really skeptical about the maps.  Hope they prove me wrong on that.

Join in progress is NOT a good way to solve the quitting issue.  At best it's akin to putting a band aid on a festering wound.

The solution is to implement a system that punishes quitting enough to deter people from doing it.

Take away 2,000 XP if they quit. If they quit another match in, let's say 30 min, take away 2,500 XP. If Halo 5 has a ranking system, lower their ranking. Warn them of course before they quit and that will reduce it. The "oh no I can't play for 10 min" penalty doesn't work because it's hardly a penalty. Go make a sandwich or something, but take away their game progress/rank? They'll be scared to quit. Yes, disconnected players will still be penalized because there's no way of knowing if it's an accident or not, but a penalty system doesn't exists where there isn't a negative. It's just rather of picking the one with the most positives.

I'm not a huge fan of JIP but it is a better system than the slap on the wrist we had in Reach.

Social matches - JIP and Ranks aren't available. The slap on the wrist time penalty.

Ranked matches - No JIP and Ranks are available. Take away rank/XP.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The game should easily be able to recognize the difference between a disconnect and a quit. With a disconnect you don't press any buttons. With a quit, you press start and then select quit. 

The game should easily be able to recognize the difference between a disconnect and a quit. With a disconnect you don't press any buttons. With a quit, you press start and then select quit.

That can easily be exploited.