CoachMayyne

My Thoughts on H4GC

What was your alias during the early years of MLG? I'm quite shocked to find out you've been around for a while, and that you're 25. I guess we're stuck with "343 hears us, we just have to wait to see if they take our advice".

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok so as you say they get it, but do you honestly think (as of now) that Halo 5 will be a classic Halo game? Great post btw.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I probably respect CoachMayyne's opinion probably the most on the THC/Beyond forums, and if he says that they know what direction it should go. I'm breaking out "BELI343" again.

• Upvote (+1) 6

CoachMayyne was Whistlerman then WhistlerMayyne before assuming the mantle of the CoachMayyne

Undoubtably quieter back then than he is now. It's completely logical that I don't know every single person from that era, but I try to remember the ones who compete. Especially in a period today where almost none of the older players visit the site or are part of the community.

Is there a post where I can see what coachmayne wants done for competitive halo? Or his vision of what 343 needs to change? The whole "They get it" thing is too general when everyone has a different idea of what "it" is.

I'm not surprised you got on well with the 343 staff, as they clearly are intelligent, amiable and amenable people. Are your views on the future of Halo so drastically changed simply because you talked to people?

Mod Edit: Please no personal insults.

Rambles Edit: What I said no insults of the sort. Just pointing out exactly what he had already stated in his post, and how ridiculous all of this is.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I can understand the frustration. I'm actually very happy to see some of the changes of opinion you have.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what makes your post different from Saucey's? The main message of the post is "they get it" after all, is this not just another post full of hope but no information?

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Its a good read and telling on how a realist like Coachmayyne can show tentative hope for Halo 5 after one meeting with 343 members. Good job Coachmayyne 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thank you for being realistic about it in the end, Coach. It's good to hear you had an awesome time and got to meet some of the crew and clear the infamy :P

While this was an amazing tournament, this is still only a start to reaching what we truly want. Only time will tell.

• Upvote (+1) 1

#coachmayyneisDAD

Am I doing it right?

#343isMom  :kappa: 

OT: I also believe that this is a right step in the right direction. Maybe they can't make another Global Championship 4v4, but... maybe if they help AGL economically for example, thats another big step in the right direction. At least in the competitive scene. If they really get it, from now on, the general community (specially the competitive gaming) will have more support from 343i. In my opinion, if from now on we're having a lot of support, a little bit more of communication and transparent walls between us and them, then we're definitely going to the right path and 343i "Gets it".

Let's just wait what happens. I really really liked you realistic thoughts Coachmayne... Canadian you had to be! Salute from Alberta :)

Edit: you're the guy on the blue shirt on Mason's photo? WHICH ONE!?!!?!?! Hahahahaha

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what makes your post different from Saucey's? The main message of the post is "they get it" after all, is this not just another post full of hope but no information?

Neither have access to insider info about H5. They both just think that 343 is listening to feedback, which is definitely evident over the past few months.

Keep in mind that the Halo 4 sustain team does not have huge resources, so doing things like bringing back descope is best saved for the next game.

Neither have access to insider info about H5. They both just think that 343 is listening to feedback, which is definitely evident over the past few months.

Keep in mind that the Halo 4 sustain team does not have huge resources, so doing things like bringing back descope is best saved for the next game.

I know, I do have hope but simply saying 343 "get it" just doesn't quite cut it for me, I would prefer information first.

Whoa, that's it?! They just "get it"... that's what I'm supposed to believe?! Can you please provide factual evidence and conversation logs of your talks with the 343 employees? I just don't find it extremely hard to believe that 343 just "gets it."

Everyone has the right to remain doubtful after Reach and Halo 4, especially after the comments at the GDC and the "we hired people who hate Halo" article.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I know, I do have hope but simply saying 343 "get it" just doesn't quite cut it for me, I would prefer information first.

Everyone has the right to remain doubtful after Reach and Halo 4, especially after the comments at the GDC and the "we hired people who hate Halo" article.

Unfortunately employees cannot speak about future projects if they aren't allowed to. Not their fault, its pretty standard procedure in the game industry (especially with triple-A titles).

• Upvote (+1) 3

Now  that Coach went from being full negative to "skeptical", I think it's time for some 343i folks to start talking to people like chaosTheory(this time more than just chat) or inv him to Seattle, it would be great for 343i to pick cT's mind and knowledge, which can help build that "trust bridge" that we(the community) need so desperately.

Good post Coach, somehow I'm looking forward  how you post here and in Twitter from now on about such topics.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So the real question is what’s next?  One good event by 343 doesn’t change the fact that Halo4 is still in a lot of trouble, especially in the next few months. Everyone knows the problems with halo4 (in-game ranks, spec mode etc ) and at this point its been beaten to death. A lot of people didn’t like that Saucey said that 343 “gets it”. After talking and being around 343, in my opinion 343 finally understands what the halo community has been saying for the last 6+months.  After, talking to Quinn, BS Angel, Bravo, they know now where the direction for halo should go. Only time will tell, if they really listen to us leading up to Halo5 next year. This event was a step in the right direction. There is still a lot of work for 343 to do get my full trust back into the franchise that I have been playing for the last 12+years.

None of what came before this paragraph do I care about.

All what you said here, however, is that "343 gets it".

How about you post some specifics about your conversations with the 343 staff so that we can judge it for ourselves?  I want to actually hear about what you talked about, and what their opinions were, not just that you talked and had a jolly good time.

Whoa, that's it?! They just "get it"... that's what I'm supposed to believe?! Can you please provide factual evidence and conversation logs of your talks with the 343 employees? I just find it extremely hard to believe that 343 just "gets it."

As strange as it sounds, that's kind of what I'm asking for.

No, I don't need conversation logs and I don't need to know every last detail-you can save the inflections- I just want to get what the jist of coachmayne's conversations were. 

You have to understand this from our perspective.  We weren't there.  We did not get to talk to 343.  All what we are asking for are some details- which so far only Saucy has started to give in that one thread that was prematurely locked.

I'm not surprised you got on well with the 343 staff, as they clearly are intelligent, amiable and amenable people. Are your views on the future of Halo so drastically changed simply because you talked to people?

Mod Edit: Please no personal insults.

hilarious mod edit.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is this now going to be a thing? People who get to talk to 343 will sarcastically post in relation to those who request specifics on such a broad term? It's just going to be a vicious cycle.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Remember when you posted Halo 4 campaign spoilers in peoples rep on THC before the game come out?

Such a nice guy you have been.

this is inexcusable to me.   You can troll about the game and stuff, but don't ruin the campaign for other people.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1