CoachMayyne

My Thoughts on H4GC

I didn't lose faith in 343 because I never really had any in the beginning. They were a new studio without many recognizable veteran FPS developers, who didn't seem to understand the intricacies of Halo. There weren't any particularly good new ideas for Halo since I saw the first trailers and gameplay; either for competitive or casual play. Of course there were elements that were inspired by COD but that is part of the expectation for any new studio. That being said, I still feel the same about them as I did back then; they are simply too corporate for me to really dislike or like them. Them saying they are listening isn't surprising at all, because any new studio needs to know their community.

The game should easily be able to recognize the difference between a disconnect and a quit. With a disconnect you don't press any buttons. With a quit, you press start and then select quit. 

About to lose -> turn off router.

Okay, clearly I'm missing something. Why is everyone hating on join-in-progress? After spending all night in Throwdown getting kids quitting out, I am wishing JIP lasted the whole game, not just the first minute or whatever it is. I could see how joining a game with 2 minutes left or something would be dumb, but honestly if lobbies worked properly games should move much quicker. Everyone backs out after every game and re-searches, and I can't help but think that is drastically slowing down MMing. If they reorganized teams after each game based on player performances (not separating parties ofc), people would probably be willing to stay in the lobby and fast track to another game instead of back out.

JIP ruins an essential part of Halo. The opening push/strategy. It kills the "all spartans are equal" concept just as much, maybe even more than AA's/Perks as you can begin a game not only at a deficit but also with no map control and no weapon control. 

I miss seeing a map pop up with a 10 second timer. And in those very moments all 4-8 people call out their opening actions. You knew who was going where. 

Now it's just like.. oh we are in a game already. No idea what map/gametype or how much you are down by. And honestly, seeing yourself in a losing situation with a possible insurmountable lead is far more frustrating than wanting that last kid to quit. 

I've often seen a suggested option for a player to forfeit a match in a 4v1 situation. It would of been a better alternative to a JIP that doesn't seem to work properly anyways from personal experience. 

With the likelihood of dedicated servers in Halo 5, JIP is certainly here to stay. And quite possibly overplaying of certain maps/gametypes if people are given the choice to outright choose what servers they join. 

It was nice in Halo 2 where you had no control whatsoever outside of choosing a playlist. Or even in Halo 3 with keep, or force the next map/gametype.

I also miss feeling like.. no matter who we were matched up against, we had a fair and equal shot to win from the start. You don't get that feeling in a JIP scenario. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

JIP ruins an essential part of Halo. The opening push/strategy. It kills the "all spartans are equal" concept just as much, maybe even more than AA's/Perks as you can begin a game not only at a deficit but also with no map control and no weapon control. 

I miss seeing a map pop up with a 10 second timer. And in those very moments all 4-8 people call out their opening actions. You knew who was going where. 

Now it's just like.. oh we are in a game already. No idea what map/gametype or how much you are down by. And honestly, seeing yourself in a losing situation with a possible insurmountable lead is far more frustrating than wanting that last kid to quit. 

I've often seen a suggested option for a player to forfeit a match in a 4v1 situation. It would of been a better alternative to a JIP that doesn't seem to work properly anyways from personal experience. 

With the likelihood of dedicated servers in Halo 5, JIP is certainly here to stay. And quite possibly overplaying of certain maps/gametypes if people are given the choice to outright choose what servers they join. 

It was nice in Halo 2 where you had no control whatsoever outside of choosing a playlist. Or even in Halo 3 with keep, or force the next map/gametype.

I also miss feeling like.. no matter who we were matched up against, we had a fair and equal shot to win from the start. You don't get that feeling in a JIP scenario. 

Well yeah, obviously no one wants to join a game where the team that just quit is getting junked, but it's hardly an experience that ruins my day. If I join such a game, I try my hardest to see if I can start a comeback (it happens all the time if you get 1-2 new players). If not, oh well, I get to jump real quick into a game and then when it's over I am immediately put into another game. Obviously this doesn't happen because everyone drops out of lobbies in Halo, but that's something that could be addressed.

I'm not even saying JIP is the best solution or anything. I just don't understand the hate for it. Can it be mildly annoying to join games late at times? Yeah, but for me that is easily outweighed by games where my garbage teammates go 0-4 and quit out, but instead of me having to play 1-3 vs. 4 for 10 minutes or just quitting out and re-searching all over again, someone is automatically added in and I can keep playing the game.

I think the best way of handling quitting is the same way I proposed a long time ago on the MLG forums. If you are the first person to quit out of a game, you can't search for a new one until the one you quit is over. If you get disconnected by accident or legitimately have to leave, then this system doesn't affect you AT ALL. If you are a habitual quitter, it will start to seem pointless to quit because even if you're getting stomped you might as well stay in the game and try instead of sit in the lobby for 5-10 minutes. I think this system combined with JIP for maybe just the first 5 minutes of a game would do wonders for the MMing experience.

looked like a fun event, made me start playing again. just should have been a team competition regardless