CoachMayyne

My Thoughts on H4GC

I find it to be an important aspect though. I mentioned this in regards to another point when talking to saucey. I've had halo 2 since launch. From that time up until halo reach launched, I had made hundreds of new friends. Casual and competitive alike. During halo 3 though I was lucky enough to hang around in higher skilled lobbies and play with various top 32 people.

I don't have a single friend from that era who still plays halo. It's a small sample size, but I reached out to roughly 20 good halo friends and all of them said they were done with the series and would not be getting future titles.

There's a lot of different views, 343 might have sales as their main priority over retaining a player base. From a business stand point you're making money, but producing a less quality game.

This can go either way though. I quit reach, but gave halo 4 a chance after I heard all the promises and hype. I feel like we're coming on to full circle here where they acknowledge their game had mistakes, they promise the future will be better, but whether they deliver this time or not is up to them.

Edit: the focus of my post has to do with the competitive community. They have the "halo" name so if they fail to reach the casuals than they have failed all together as a developer. My claim of their lack of success is related to the competitive merit of the game

I think what Cyren is trying to say is that somehwhere up the corporate ladder a Microsoft Executive who doesnt play video games looks at the sales charts for Halo 4 and views it as a smash success. 

However I do feel like the steep drop off in population should be a red alert to 343i and Microsoft - im sure they are well aware they need to recapture the community again because if they dont it will affect their bottom line - sales.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think what Cyren is trying to say is that somehwhere up the corporate ladder a Microsoft Executive who doesnt play video games looks at the sales charts for Halo 4 and views it as a smash success.

I can't decide whether to laugh or cry.

However I do feel like the steep drop off in population should be a red alert to 343i and Microsoft - im sure they are well aware they need to recapture the community again because if they dont it will affect their bottom line - sales.

The higher ups at Microsoft see Halo as a declining franchise more likely, in terms of sales based off inflation and overall copies moved, lower multi-player numbers (which in turn means not as many XBL subscribers), lower international sales (compared to other in the series) and a lot of other things, however it remains their flagship franchise that they can market in a lot of alternative forms (Film, TV series, Windows Phone Games, for example). 

To make up for all of this, I do exclusive deals with Activision and EA so that their shooters will look btter on my console, since my exclusives are doing worse and worse (Halo and Gears)  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I never realized how much I needed a Beyond cape until now.

brb

I know right? Needs to be in the Beyond store.

I dont get the mentality about some Anti-Halo4 people.

First they say, 343 doesnt understand etc blah blah.

And when they met 343 people, they say "they get it"...

I dont get it.

Halo wont change into traditional gameplay ever again.

I dont get the mentality about some Anti-Halo4 people.

First they say, 343 doesnt understand etc blah blah.

And when they met 343 people, they say "they get it"...

I dont get it.

Halo wont change into traditional gameplay ever again.

You're not going to be invited to any more events if you hold your past opinions.

You're not going to be invited to any more events if you hold your past opinions.

Not true.

I guess I should start posting population numbers every day, then.

If that's your thing, feel free. just don't spam it.

So what makes your post different from Saucey's? The main message of the post is "they get it" after all, is this not just another post full of hope but no information?

yup...i'll wait for actual info from 343. This is just more of the same......nothing

Whoa, that's it?! They just "get it"... that's what I'm supposed to believe?! Can you please provide factual evidence and conversation logs of your talks with the 343 employees? I just find it extremely hard to believe that 343 just "gets it."

seriously?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Remember when you posted Halo 4 campaign spoilers in peoples rep on THC before the game come out?

Such a nice guy you have been.

Haha, I was going to mention this in my post. For those who don't know back on THC you could give + or -nep and explain why you gave them rep. Ppl would constantly -rep back on THC Sept-Nov because I was too negative about Halo4 and they didn't think I knew Halo at all. Calling me a "Troll" and what have you.  So in turn I just +rep them and would post info about Halo4. Just one instance of me being an asshole.  Ironically enough, Cyren was the one who banned me from THC forums, the first time. :frank:

Is there a post where I can see what coachmayne wants done for competitive halo? Or his vision of what 343 needs to change? The whole "They get it" thing is too general when everyone has a different idea of what "it" is.

I posted about this all the time back on THC, at least point 8+months after launch there is no point trying to explain what needs to change. 343 now understands their mistakes. Example, Frankie interview from yesterday.   

I'm not surprised you got on well with the 343 staff, as they clearly are intelligent, amiable and amenable people. Are your views on the future of Halo so drastically changed simply because you talked to people?

Its hard not to change your opinion of somebody once you have met them in real life. I forgot to mention this but, once word got out that I was at the event on friday I was nervous what would come next. If I saw some "kid" at the event that was Trashing my game from the past 7+months I would have been mad and confused as well. They could have asked me to leave, but thankfully it never came to that. I was probably the last person they would ever see at this event let alone want to me. They were all busy and the fact that they gave me 5-15mins to talk to me, I am just grateful for that. 

Thanks,  :ghost:  The into post was an inside joke btw.

My post and the interview with Frankie out within 2 hours of each other Coincidence?  :ninja:

The fact that Quinn tweeted this out, shows of far we have come as a community. I have accomplished everything I was set to do. I wanted the halo community to know my past and why I chose to act the way I do. As, well as 343 to acknowledge not just my opinion of halo but everyones who shared the same with me. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I apologize for another poorly drawn comic, but I feel that it better explains my thoughts. 

UwnGyC9.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

At a certain point mocking the same staff member or site and saying "not to offend you" actually means to be offensive.

> 343 don't get it

> meet 343

> they get it

pretty much the dl;dr.

I still think you're a bit of a knob, not to offend you lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do those of you (ie Beyond staff) who have met and talked to 343i believe that Halo 5 will be an excellent Halo title? As in a title that the community here would consider to be a great title, IE at the very least a return to classic gameplay, ranks, etc.

Its great that you guys think they "get it", but I'm much more curious as to whether or not you guys think that knowledge will be applied and utilized for the next title. 

Do those of you (ie Beyond staff) who have met and talked to 343i believe that Halo 5 will be an excellent Halo title? As in a title that the community here would consider to be a great title, IE at the very least a return to classic gameplay, ranks, etc.

Its great that you guys think they "get it", but I'm much more curious as to whether or not you guys think that knowledge will be applied and utilized for the next title.

When we say they "get it", we (or at least me) think tehy learned a lot from Halo 4 faults and what went wrong with it overall in certain parts. Another factor is to look at how Halo 4 was released in November and how differnt it really is now compared to then.

We don't know much about Halo 5 besides 60 FPS and Dedicated Servers (which the community has been really wanting for soemtime now).

Another factor is to look at how Halo 4 was released in November and how differnt it really is now compared to then.

The major issues are still there:

Sprint

De-Scope

Flag Juggling

Flinch

They did alter things, I won't deny that and a couple of them helped this community a lot...but if we never had the issues i listed the game would be a million times better. 343 only fixed the minor issues with the game. The issues with Sprint, De-Scope, Flag Juggling >>>>> Red X, JIP, 5sk BR etc.

> 343 don't get it

> meet 343

> they get it

pretty much the dl;dr

I still think you're a bit of a knob, not to offend you lol.

A Staff member insulting, go figure. 

Knob?  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

The major issues are still there:

Sprint

De-Scope

Flag Juggling

Flinch

They did alter things, I won't deny that and a couple of them helped this community a lot...but we never had the issues i listed the game would be a million times better. The issues with Sprint, De-Scope, Flag Juggling >>>>> Red X, JIP, 5sk BR

3 of those they couldn't do or it would just take too many resources at the point when they are already on Halo 5, have to remember that Bungie had 3 years, 343 gets 2.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

3 of those they couldn't do or it would just take too many resources at the point when they are already on Halo 5, have to remember that Bungie had 3 years, 343 gets 2.

2 years to decide whether to keep sprint as a default mechanic, remove flag juggling, remove de-scope, bring back bullet spread, adopt care packages, adopt JIP, adopt instant spawns, etc..

Imagine what would have happened in 3

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Honestly, I think Sprint and AA's are the main 'fixes' that I wish we could disable. But even those wouldn't make me come back to Halo 4.

There are a lot of GOOD maps that the community has created, but we don't see them in matchmaking. If I saw some of those smaller forge maps in matchmaking playlists at least 50% of the time, that would be a big improvement. I know it takes time for 343i to 'test' them to make sure they are viable. However, with the population numbers and such, I don't see what there is to lose by including more of these community maps. Then there is the issue of not enough people having the DLC. Man, have I not played a DLC map for a long time... But that's a population issue as well.

Even though I disliked a lot about Reach, at least some of the newer community maps kept me interested in general playlists.

2 years to decide whether to keep sprint as a default mechanic, remove flag juggling, remove de-scope, bring back bullet spread, adopt care packages, adopt JIP, adopt instant spawns, etc..

Imagine what would have happened in 3

They didn't have to bring it back. Bullet spread was already there.