CoachMayyne

My Thoughts on H4GC

I really, really hope that 343 "gets it" now. But I can't give anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore after Reach and H4. Hopefully they're able to make Halo great again.

It was nice talking to you and SnowPro outside the venue Sunday night. I think this was a big step in the right direction. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Whoa, that's it?! They just "get it"... that's what I'm supposed to believe?! Can you please provide factual evidence and conversation logs of your talks with the 343 employees? I just find it extremely hard to believe that 343 just "gets it."

On a more serious note, I appreciate you coming here to give your experiences and your insight.  It's been rough going against the wind - and by wind I mean CoachMayne - but it's a pleasure to know that you have had your faith restored in Halo over the weekend (even if it is just a shard.)  Thank you for being a realist through all the hard times. Every Team Throwdown population tweet that you sent me just fed fuel to the fire; I wouldn't have been as driven without you, and for that, I commend you.  Lastly, seeing your ray of hope confirms that all of 343's work, as well as the community's, was certainly worth the time and effort. It's been quite an uphill battle ever since the launch of Halo 4, but we've clearly made some lasting impressions on even the harshest of disbelievers. Thanks for being CoachMayne.

-Ghost

Ugh, sorry for the miss-click, meant to plus rep man. 

edit: Also, good thread CoachMayyne. You always annoyed me on THC but I understand where you were coming from. Could have taken a different route to get your point across, but I understand, like you said, that you didn't really care that much anyway. 

Damn I really wish I could have went. 

Have you created an in depth post stating what you find wrong with Halo 4? I'd like to read about certain areas you didn't agree with, so I'm able to compare what instances they now "get". I might not be the only one either. I'm specifically interested knowing now that you've been around for a while.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone who enjoys creative freedom, probably.

They are in the wrong place for that unless you are a indie dev or doing a Kickstarter. It's hard to say what kind of freedom they have with the Halo series now, look at Infinity Ward, Activision didn't want them to make any modern games at all and to keep it in WW2. They went against the grain and took a gamble and it paid off huge. With the drops in players (for h4) and potential lost of sales from disc to DLC maybe they can let them spread their wings. Only time will tell though.

I never realized how much I needed a Beyond cape until now.

brb

• Upvote (+1) 4

They are in the wrong place for that unless you are a indie dev or doing a Kickstarter. It's hard to say what kind of freedom they have with the Halo series now, look at Infinity Ward, Activision didn't want them to make any modern games at all and to keep it in WW2. They went against the grain and took a gamble and it paid off huge. With the drops in players (for h4) and potential lost of sales from disc to DLC maybe they can let them spread their wings. Only time will tell though.

I'm going to throw my lot in with the idea that if Microsoft descends from the clouds and says, "we need things to change," 343 isn't going to suddenly spring up with a look of conquest and triumphantly declare, "hah-HAH, now I can put my plan of small maps, fast kill times, quick base movement speed, and true custom powerups into action!"

But I guess that's a different issue.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Great post Coach. At first I generally disagreed with your opinion on H4, but half way through December it was basically me consistently agreeing with you. It sucks to say, but I think a lot of us were blinded with the newness of H4, and we didn't realize that the gold we had was just a gilded rock. 

Anyways, its good to hear that 343 "Get it" from another person, though I am reluctant to believe the truth to it until I see solid proof that 343 get it.

Who wouldn't want a job at a AAA studio?

This. I would take a job at nearly any AAA studio. It would be a dream being on any design team. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

They are in the wrong place for that unless you are a indie dev or doing a Kickstarter. It's hard to say what kind of freedom they have with the Halo series now, look at Infinity Ward, Activision didn't want them to make any modern games at all and to keep it in WW2. They went against the grain and took a gamble and it paid off huge.

IW didn't actually change the core gameplay; they just added more BS, shortened killtimes by a small amount, and increased the range of engagements. AR's are just longer ranged, more powerful SMGs. Snipers are just longer range, more powerful bolt-action rifles.

Also, IW moving to the modern era definitely brought the franchise down. More BS was added, because there needed to be more weapons than just SMG's and Bolt-action rifles. People suddenly needed COD to be realistic, even if it damaged gameplay. The close-range, rushing gameplay that many people enjoyed was stagnated because weapons were stronger.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If my creative ability was hindered by my supervisors I wouldn't bother taking the paycheck. I would much rather do something that I love than work on something that I know I wouldn't be happy with. Call me crazy, idc, I would much rather spend my time earning money by doing something that I love.

Just sayin'

If my creative ability was hindered by my supervisors I wouldn't bother taking the paycheck. I would much rather do something that I love than work on something that I know I wouldn't be happy with. Call me crazy, idc, I would much rather spend my time earning money by doing something that I love.

Just sayin'

Not all of us are that lucky.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, not all of us created Mega Man, by the way support Mighty No. 9 /no shame

But real talk, Andy and Lemon's posts gave me some chuckles.

Still waiting for 343's opinion of the graph of death lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not all of us are that lucky.

It's not like I don't need the paycheck, it's just I don't want to accept a job where I have no creative pull or input. I would rather do some other form of work that I enjoy instead. Maybe if I grew up wanting to design video games I'd bite the bullet but I still would rather not be a part of Halo's decline than be a part of it.

How that makes me lucky? I don't know.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You could always create games for...Playstation 4 or PC  :frankerz:

Or Windows Phone  :kappa: . (I'm kidding, I love windows phone).

It's not like I don't need the paycheck, it's just I don't want to accept a job where I have no creative pull or input. I would rather do some other form of work that I enjoy instead. Maybe if I grew up wanting to design video games I'd bite the bullet but I still would rather not be a part of Halo's decline than be a part of it.

How that makes me lucky? I don't know.

To be fair Halo decline is only in online population numbers. The game still sold a lot,and was reviewed well.

Please don't get this post twisted like I think the changes to Halo 4 were good but to call their work unsuccessful in a way is a bit of a leap.

Who wouldn't want a job at a AAA studio?

I wouldn't, and I'm a developer, I prefer small scale work environments, and while the pay wouldnt be as good, my input would be there and I know the product I developed would be one that is efficient and  the customer will enjoy for its entire lifespan. 

To be fair Halo decline is only in online population numbers. The game still sold a lot,and was reviewed well.

Please don't get this post twisted like I think the changes to Halo 4 were good but to call their work unsuccessful in a way is a bit of a leap.

when you make a game most of your core community do not like. It's not successful.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

when you make a game most of your core community do not like. It's not successful.

That'd just one aspect of it though. It will really come down to sales for the next game and people not buying because of their dislike for Halo 4 and were the series is heading.

Unfortunately our community alone is maybe 1/100th at the most of the entire buying base right now. Really comes down to the casual gamers not buying to really call it unsuccessful.

That'd just one aspect of it though. It will really come down to sales for the next game and people not buying because of their dislike for Halo 4 and were the series is heading.

Unfortunately our community alone is maybe 1/100th at the most of the entire buying base right now. Really comes down to the casual gamers not buying to really call it unsuccessful.

I find it to be an important aspect though. I mentioned this in regards to another point when talking to saucey. I've had halo 2 since launch. From that time up until halo reach launched, I had made hundreds of new friends. Casual and competitive alike. During halo 3 though I was lucky enough to hang around in higher skilled lobbies and play with various top 32 people.

I don't have a single friend from that era who still plays halo. It's a small sample size, but I reached out to roughly 20 good halo friends and all of them said they were done with the series and would not be getting future titles.

There's a lot of different views, 343 might have sales as their main priority over retaining a player base. From a business stand point you're making money, but producing a less quality game.

This can go either way though. I quit reach, but gave halo 4 a chance after I heard all the promises and hype. I feel like we're coming on to full circle here where they acknowledge their game had mistakes, they promise the future will be better, but whether they deliver this time or not is up to them.

Edit: the focus of my post has to do with the competitive community. They have the "halo" name so if they fail to reach the casuals than they have failed all together as a developer. My claim of their lack of success is related to the competitive merit of the game