CoachMayyne

My Thoughts on H4GC

Everyone knows the problems with halo4 (in-game ranks, spec mode etc )

I am nitpicking here, but can we please stop acting like these things are more important than the gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I am nitpicking here, but can we please stop acting like these things are more important than the gameplay.

Those are more the selling aspects of the game. Those are great features but I want something that has high playability through the core gameplay, not because I'm trying to get some helmet that looks like a toaster.

Here's the thing about "getting it" for me, after a few words with 343, you think they get it.

That's not relevant to me.

What's important is that you KNOW they "get it", and I believe you can only truly know after you have more information and/or played the game, if 343 gets it, they have to prove it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't really understand what everybody means by "get it." Do they "get" that they made mistakes and have learned from them? Or do they merely "get" and understand what has made Halo successful in the past? If it was the latter, then why did they make Halo 4 out of the box so tremendously mediocre.

Saying that they "get it" is just extremely vague. I don't know, but all of these posts really aren't inspiring me any. I prefer actual details or developer opinions. I understand that 343 is about as transparent as the white house, but until they actually release information, it is hard to really make the claim that they "get it" after seeing Halo 4. Positive changes have been made, but positive changes (which were, in my own opinion, even better than the ones made in Halo 4) were made at the end of Reach. Did the next game further upon and copy these positive changes? Definitely not. History has a manner of repeating itself.

Just my two cents.

Whoa, that's it?! They just "get it"... that's what I'm supposed to believe?! Can you please provide factual evidence and conversation logs of your talks with the 343 employees? I just find it extremely hard to believe that 343 just "gets it."

You must admit that everything probably looks a lot worse to the common player since, unlike you, we aren't directly connected with 343 and the advancement of the competitive playlist. Getting all sarcastic about it doesn't help at all. It just adds fuel to the fire...

• Upvote (+1) 6

I honestly think that we should give a second chance to 343, I mean come on... Lots of people are giving Bungie a second chance by looking forward with Destiny after they did Halo: Reach. -.- 

I think by "get it", it means that they know they did not do a good job for the core Halo community who play the game from when it was best, to where it is now, at it's worse. I think, going by the numbers, this would go down as the least successful multi-player of a Halo, just based on how fast it has declined and how readily people gave up on playing it. It must have not been as fun as they expected, and for the competitive side, it just wasn't as viable as people thought it could have been. However, what has yet to be discovered is if they know how to "fix it"

The game won ton of awards for their single-player efforts, although most awards can't be credited to be "good". Most of the reviewers who gave these awards out probably have not touched Halo in the following months after it's release anyway. I think it's clear that, they messed up, and so far (in terms of actual copies sold) I don't think it's even met Halo Reach's sales yet, and it obviously wont touch Halo 3 with Xbox One coming out and lack of backwards compatibility. Then there's that whole "Destiny and Titanfall" too add on to the already Call of Duty, growing popularity of Battlefield and classic returns with big brands like Star Wars Battlefront coming out for next gen. Where Halo will fit in with all of that, after people getting tired with Halo 4 so fast, is yet to be seen.

This. Start with what counts. CE didn't have ranks or spectator and it's a thousand times better. (not to mention online capability LOL)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is this now going to be a thing? People who get to talk to 343 will sarcastically post in relation to those who request specifics on such a broad term? It's just going to be a vicious cycle.

Apparently so  :ghost:

I don't really understand what everybody means by "get it." Do they "get" that they made mistakes and have learned from them? Or do they merely "get" and understand what has made Halo successful in the past? If it was the latter, then why did they make Halo 4 out of the box so tremendously mediocre.

Saying that they "get it" is just extremely vague. I don't know, but all of these posts really aren't inspiring me any. I prefer actual details or developer opinions. I understand that 343 is about as transparent as the white house, but until they actually release information, it is hard to really make the claim that they "get it" after seeing Halo 4. Positive changes have been made, but positive changes (which were, in my own opinion, even better than the ones made in Halo 4) were made at the end of Reach. Did the next game further upon and copy these positive changes? Definitely not. History has a manner of repeating itself.

Just my two cents.

I didn't get the opportunity to talk to 343 a lot, but from what I gathered is both. They understand their mistakes and what made Halo successful in the past. We talked about past Halos, and Halo events, maps, competitive halo and a few other things. I spoke with them about the community, and they practically listed off everything that we complain about on a daily basis. They understand why we are upset. They get it. Now whether they implement everything they know we want in Halo 5 is a different question. We won't know the answer until more information about the game comes out, but I trust 343 to make a good game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I didn't get the opportunity to talk to 343 a lot, but from what I gathered is both. They understand their mistakes and what made Halo successful in the past. We talked about past Halos, and Halo events, maps, competitive halo and a few other things. I talked to them about the community, and they understand why we are upset. They practically listed off everything that we complain about on a daily basis. They get it. Now whether they implement everything they know we want in Halo 5 is a different question. We won't know the answer until more information about the game comes out, but I trust 343 to make a good game.

In other words, they know what they did wrong, and what they have to do.

Now the question is: Will they do it? Will they want to do it? Will they do it but run out of time? Will they do everything opposite? Will they do everything right?

For now, I trust 343 to make a good game too. If the next Halo is equal or worse than the last two games... oh well.

CoachMayyne, I'm sure you and a lot of others saw my thread that kind of was the 'push back' against this. I'm still standing behind what I said, perhaps we are on the opposites sides of the same coin. I do however feel that its important to note that Josh Holmes, Frank O' Connor, etc. were not the ones you got to to talk to.

I think we as a community already knew Angel, Bravo, Quinn, and some others were on the same page. It's whether they get full multiplier control of at least a large influence over it (which maybe they do? I don't know).

I don't think this differed much from what Saucey said. But I guess you bring a different perspective given your past. 

EDIT:

Whoa, that's it?! They just "get it"... that's what I'm supposed to believe?! Can you please provide factual evidence and conversation logs of your talks with the 343 employees? I just find it extremely hard to believe that 343 just "gets it."

-Ghost

I don't understand your need to be sarcastic here Ghost. 

I didn't get the opportunity to talk to 343 a lot, but from what I gathered is both. They understand their mistakes and what made Halo successful in the past. We talked about past Halos, and Halo events, maps, competitive halo and a few other things. I spoke with them about the community, and they practically listed off everything that we complain about on a daily basis. They understand why we are upset. They get it. Now whether they implement everything they know we want in Halo 5 is a different question. We won't know the answer until more information about the game comes out, but I trust 343 to make a good game.

What I mean is: do they seem to be giving off the impression that they always got it (in which case, we pretty much can conclude that they don't) or that, after the criticism and feedback given to them by the community, they now realize their mistakes and what they need to do.

There is a pretty big difference between the two in my eyes.

I don't think they can actually make a worse Halo, but that is because I hardly play Halo 4 as it is. There is only up from here in my opinion. I just don't think that the evidence is there to believe they will make a game that brings back the crowd and competition that Halo 2 and Halo 3 held.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What I mean is: do they seem to be giving off the impression that they always got it (in which case, we pretty much can conclude that they don't) or that, after the criticism and feedback given to them by the community, they now realize their mistakes and what they need to do.

There is a pretty big difference between the two in my eyes.

They gave off the impression that they thought they had it with Halo 4, but quickly figured out that they didn't really get it. Now they understand through the community feedback what makes Halo great.

• Upvote (+1) 2

In other words, they know what they did wrong, and what they have to do.

Now the question is: Will they do it? Will they want to do it? Will they do it but run out of time? Will they do everything opposite? Will they do everything right?

For now, I trust 343 to make a good game too. If the next Halo is equal or worse than the last two games... oh well.

This exactly. They understand. Now it depends on what they do with it.

They gave off the impression that they thought they had it with Halo 4, but quickly figured out that they didn't really get it. Now they understand through the community feedback what makes Halo great.

That is promising.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thanks for the feedback guys. 

Mayyne, what would you say you are more confident in? That 343i will bring a classic competitive Halo to the table in Halo 5 or that they will give us the options to make it so?

Have you created an in depth post stating what you find wrong with Halo 4? I'd like to read about certain areas you didn't agree with, so I'm able to compare what instances they now "get". I might not be the only one either. I'm specifically interested knowing now that you've been around for a while.

Excellent post, would read again.

and lol @ghost.  Next time we should bug the venue and capture all the audio  :kappa:  :kappa:  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what I've gathered from these "they get it" posts is that 343 gets it but we don't know what "it" is and we have know Idea if they get what makes Halo good and they are just going to continue making mediocre games that appeal to the guy looking for a game to play for a day, or do they "get" what they need to do in order to make Halo a good game again. Either way no one has any idea except a few people and none of them will tell us anything they said because it's super top secret. And anytime 343 says anything remotely related to e-sports everyone gets excited, but then again it's just a repeat of what was said pre launch. I have NO idea what 343 will do and what they are planning, but this is basically what I've gathered.

Is every coach trying get a job at 343i....Bravo, then ghost, now coachmayne!?  Who's next? BoSSNaST343i

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Excellent post, would read again.

and lol @ghost.  Next time we should bug the venue and capture all the audio  :kappa:  :kappa:  :kappa:

i just would like a little bit of details and specifics.  Something a little, tiny bit more than "they get it. Trust me".

Is that so hard to ask for?

• Upvote (+1) 1