CyReN

What's An Unpopular Halo Opinion You Have?

4. Developers have access to better market data and understand their business (which is to make money) much better than gamers.  Playlists that have been introduced to be "closer to Halo's roots" have been abject failures in terms of player count/retention and provide further evidence of this.  The direction Destiny is headed provides yet further evidence of this, where Bungie is introducing tremendous amounts of customization, skill trees, characters classes, loadouts, sprint and even aim down sites.  Destiny will be a commercial success in part because of these elements.  Old school gamers will be left to curse it and long for the good old days when we had to mow through 171 Elites with only a generic off the shelf assault rifle.  Without even any fancy artwork on it.

The problem with this though is that if Halo isn't its own shooter, it'll be competing with other games in their own niche outside of its own. 

If they made Halo 5 a full-blown class-based shooter and made us play as Brutes and Elites or something, then I could see Halo 5 competing with the others. It's still going to sell well obviously because it's got Halo in the title. But this one-foot-in thing that the last 2 games have done could continue to diminish player retention and public interest. If Halo is having trouble securing its own fanbase, how can it attract others? 

It would be nice to have a Halo-styled game where you can carry more than two weapons.

Destiny_2014_Game_HD_Desktop_Wallpaper_m

• Upvote (+1) 1

I find Grifball to be more fun than Throwdown/MLG

I prefer watching competitive Halo than playing it

Spartan Ops was actually fun

• Upvote (+1) 3

hitscan>projectile

With projectile some things are out of your control at longer range- such as trying to essentially guess which way they will strafe next.  With hitscan you just have to be good at aiming and no luck is involved.

Just decrease the aim assist if it's too much.

Also, online projectile is more likely to be affected by lag.

I hate team slayer

I hate halo 3

I think halo 2 is mediocre

Lockout TS was no good

The pit blows

Narrows is Awful

ZBNS Reach is second only to halo 2

Default Reach is on par with mlg v8 Halo 3

Running 2-round multi-flag on asymmetric maps would be better than its TS counterpart (lockout CTF would be better than lockout TS)

The BR was a bad decision, burst fire is awful

Halo 4 would be more competitive if we spawned with carbines, DMRs, or LRs instead of BRs

• Upvote (+1) 1

• Red vs Blue has become dizzyingly confusing plot wise, and honestly they should just throw it out and start something completely new.
  • My favorite primary weapon ever is the Halo: Reach ZB DMR.
  • CE is overrated. The movement, and projectile bullets ruin this game for me, I can't stand it.
  • Even if Halo 5 is really good, I doubt we pull more than 50,000 a year after it launches.

Every Halo plays best 2v2

Halo 3 is the best looking game of the series

I thought Penance slayer was a good gametype in v7

Rat Race is the best map of all time

Default Reach > any stage of H4

• Upvote (+1) 2

1. I always voted for Asylum on Halo: Reach. I'm a sucker for symmetrical maps  ;)

2. I don't like Halo 4's version of The Pit.

3.  Spartan Ops is the best thing to happen to Halo's campaign.  :lxthul:

Mod Edit: This post has been edited to abide by the forum rules. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

Last Resort, NOT Zanzibar, is the greatest Halo map of all time. It is easily better than midship, sanc, lockout, guardian, and even cconstruct.

it's not a 4v4 though.

I'm not sure that it is fair to compare 4v4 maps to 8v8/6v6 maps.

I would agree with you that last resort is the best of the big maps.

- Halo 4 is a fantastic game.

- Loadouts, while causing certain balance problems in H4, could give players options and allow them to develop playstyles if it can maintain a balanced-start setting.

- A seasonal ranking system with title/emblem/aesthetic rewards for finishing in a certain % of the general population would be the most ideal competitive ranking system/playlist alongside whatever Menke is cooking up and will promote players to consistently become more competitive and skillful in the pursuit of rewards.

- The h4 armor and sounds are more relevant to the universe and displays the fact that the UNSC has used those 4 years that the chief has been asleep to really flesh out and merge the UNSC kit with all the Covenant tech they gathered in the war.

- Progressing and innovating the Halo series is paramount with how the market for fps games is changing this next gen. Regressing and bringing forth feelings of nostalgia will not bring as much to the population as certain people think.

- I actually enjoy alot of H4 Forge maps with dynamic lighting. Reach showed how dull even extremely well-designed maps could be without access to aesthetic flair.

- Spring Jumping is the coolest thing to be added to Halo in a long time (I know it was out with Reach, but it's much more accessible this time around).

- The movement in h4 is the most fluid and most enjoyable out of all the previous halo games bar maybe halo 2. 

- While not boasting the highest skillcap out of previous games, Halo 4 does hold the fact that at its most basic level, it has done alot to shorten the gap between the casuals and the competitive players. This has made matchmaking itself more competitive overall.

Halo 2 was so awful it made me quit after 1 year of play and I canceled xbox live.

Halo 3 was so awful I quit after 10 months of play.

On a casual level, Reach and Halo 4 are more fun than Halo 2 and Halo 3.

Host issues aside, if you don't think 2v2 h1 was the best core halo multiplayer experience for competitions and showing skill/smarts, then I assume you suck at it and/or have little to no experience with it. I say this because I've never talked to one person who was decent enough to win a 2v2 offhost on xbc against timing randoms who didn't agree. Not once, in 10 years. If you don't know anything about one of the things you're comparing, how is your opinion of which is better at all valid? /elitistwhatever

Halo 3 team slayer was the single worst "competitive/serious" matchmaking playlist in the franchise history. Reach's Anniversary Classic was easily the best.

Burst weapons are inherently easier to use due to sweeping for headshots.

Holding forward all game shouldn't ever be a viable strategy.

If Halo 5 brings back "classic Halo," it is just as likely to fail miserably as it is to succeed. It would be better for 343 to emulate principles than to emulate the exact experience of successful games. They need to interest new people as well as reward skill for the hardcore folks.

Armor abilities would have probably been 10x better if they had all been offensive options instead of defensive ones.

• Upvote (+1) 1

- Lockout kinda sucks.
- Halo 2 is overrated.
- Halo 3 is the best Halo multiplayer so far (even with the terrible netcode)
- I find Isolation in Halo 3 to be one of the best maps (Edit: "One of the best" not "The" best. Its in my top 10 for halo.)
- I actually enjoyed no hitscan. 
- Halo CE had some of the worst mechanics.
- I would rather have H1-3 map remakes than new maps. (since just about every map that has been made since those game
  have been just utter trash HR H4)
- Danger Canyon is my #1 BTB map
- I don't care at all about character customization in Halo aside from the emblem and armor color.
- Johnson was halo's greatest character (Not sure if unpopular)
- Kurt-051 > John-117
- Halo 3: ODST had the greatest co-op experience (firefight) even if it was supported by the worst netcode ever. 
- I like playing Halo CE with a Mouse and Keyboard more than a controller. 
- I hate the separation of Slayer and Objective gametypes in halo matchmaking they should just be in one playlist.
   For example BTB should have both OBJ and Slayer, same goes for 4s, 2s, FFA, etc... 
- I like forge and all but to be honest it generates crap maps. I want an actually Map Toolset
   (Terrain editor, Texture Editor, custom meshes) not the same blocks and textures just in different configurations. 

I've got lots more but I think thats enough.

Edit: DMR shouldn't be in any of the Halo titles since based on Halo lore the DMR was phased out of all branches but the Army years before the events of reach.
Spartans wouldn't be using outdated weapons especially during the time period of Halo 4. 

I loved Halo1... Never Played Halo2 online!... HATED Halo 3 until I played Grifball!!... Only Played Invasion & Infected in Reach... Love Halo 4!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

- While not boasting the highest skillcap out of previous games, Halo 4 does hold the fact that at its most basic level, it has done alot to shorten the gap between the casuals and the competitive players. This has made matchmaking itself more competitive overall.

It shortened the gap because it killed off most of the competitive players.

And I have to really, really disagree about it making matchmaking more competitive.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Isolation is garbage.

I honestly can't provide any logical or sound reasons as to why I enjoyed the map even in competitive standings. It was just a hill.. with tunnels underneath. However it was still one I enjoyed. It was very simple in terms of gameplay, but much like how the pit put emphasis on pushing as a team, (forced emphasis) I felt isolation was great at forcing players into open field team shooting. Again it's very simple so I can understand why players don't like it, but goddamn would my team do amazing on that map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I honestly can't provide any logical or sound reasons as to why I enjoyed the map even in competitive standings. It was just a hill.. with tunnels underneath. However it was still one I enjoyed. It was very simple in terms of gameplay, but much like how the pit put emphasis on pushing as a team, (forced emphasis) I felt isolation was great at forcing players into open field team shooting. Again it's very simple so I can understand why players don't like it, but goddamn would my team do amazing on that map.

The map would play terribly competitvely.  Esepcially with the liner tunnels underneath where teams can even camp in those rooms.

• Downvote (-1) 1

it's not a 4v4 though.

I'm not sure that it is fair to compare 4v4 maps to 8v8/6v6 maps.

I would agree with you that last resort is the best of the big maps.

I can agree with that, but I enjoyed 5v5/6v6/8v8 on Last Resort more than 4v4 on those other maps though. It is just perfect.

The map would play terribly competitvely.  Esepcially with the liner tunnels underneath where teams can even camp in those rooms.

It was in the GB rotation till what, v2 maybe v3? So it was played a bit competitively online, not at tournaments. Again, the key to that map is holding top shotgun and teamshooting downwards. Teams who camped down low would just be punished in the end. They can get rockets but that does little when most battles are fought up top. No easy access to the sniper either.

The only issues with isolation and camping on the bottom came from CTF. When playing slayer it was just non stop top mid control. Also, I'm speaking from experience. You say "the map would play terribly competitively" but have you played it competitively? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with Bungie's decision to not bring back the CE pistol with online play involved. It will destroy any variety of weapon use on maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1