CyReN

What's An Unpopular Halo Opinion You Have?

Contrary to people's thoughts on Reach, Halo would have continued to be long lived and praised under Bungie if they had continued making it. Bungie has an undeniable attitude of fuck you, we do what we want, but they also make undeniably solid games. Unlike 343i, they don't follow trends and half assedly try to appease every kind of person who may prospectively play a shooter. The direction Bungie would have took Halo may would've still alienated classic hardcore fans, but I think they would have yelled, we don't want this style of Halo instead of your version of Halo sucks!

And the path of deviance was shown in Reach. No one bagged on them for the UI, presentation, polish, sound design, graphics, customs, forge, or any of that. The complaints were centric to gameplay that placed a much greater importance on team ability rather than solo ability. Even then, the team dynamic was good. I'm fairly sure they would have made their own TU too, to make some balancing changes if the scene wasn't already being handed off to 343i. And it was. And ironically, they actually improved things. Kind of. The bleedthrough they tried to patch in was iffy, one melee brought health down to yellow, and then there was the health pack glitch. Nonetheless, the ability to achieve cross map perfect TTK when crouching was a smart thing to add in.

But H4? Damn, that was a bad UI. The buzzing sound in the matchmaking lobby gave me headaches. ORDNANCE AND GRENADE SWITCHING MAPPED TO THE SAME BUTTON. Blinding lens flare. Very limited customs. THEY FORGOT FINE MOVEMENT IN FORGE. Weapon pods got stuck in the ground. It goes on and on.

Their game design is still questionable with H5. They are, ironically, hugely biased in their self selection. The survey results are what they are because they turned away all the MASSES of classic Halo fans with H4, and now the majority are a relatively much smaller number of newer fans who began with H4. If they made that survey for development of H4, Should sprint be infinite and universal? Thousands of more responses would've been received and 11% would at least be above 40%.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with Zanno, H2C is the most overhyped game in the series. It caused Halo's many issues in the first place.

So you agree that it's worse than H3, Reach, 2A, & 4?  :wutface:

No, but people think it's some sort of god's gift. It caused the problems, then the games after made said problems much, MUCH worse.

From this point of view, I agree. It's were the downfall started. But its gameplay is still better than Reach (default), H3, H4 and H5.

No, but people think it's some sort of god's gift. It caused the problems, then the games after made said problems much, MUCH worse.

Yeah, but that's not what Zanno said. 

I know H2 drastically changed what Halo was in terms of a team game, but a lot of problems came from later games.

You could blame H3 for introducing equipment that lead to armor abilities. Or Reach for sprint & bloom. 

Yeah, but that's not what Zanno said. 

I know H2 drastically changed what Halo was in terms of a team game, but a lot of problems came from later games.

You could blame H3 for introducing equipment that lead to armor abilities. Or Reach for sprint & bloom. 

oh shit yea he did say H2 is the worst, then I disagree with that. H2 is still ass compared to CE master race though, and H2 started the trend of long ass killtimes that can be easy to achieve, shit sandbox with bland maps with hardly any powerups, no static timers, removal of quick camo etc

I don't think HCE is that great, (serious)

Fun, but not as great as the 2v2 lan players claim it is. No hate tho, #supportCE.

I don't think HCE is that great, (serious)

Fun, but not as great as the 2v2 lan players claim it is. No hate tho, #supportCE.

explain

Out of curiosity, what's your reasoning?

I got plenty

- Weapon balance is primarily forced by autoaim constants. Things like the sword are noob weapons because they literally have wider angles where they count as a hit

- Netcode is for no apparent reason based around the autoaim, meaning long range BR shots aren't lag compensated, and it took until Reach to fix this

- The difference in the BR spread between Halo 2 and Halo 3 is not as drastic as you think, it is mostly the insane autoaim that causes the weapon to be more accurate

- In order to cover up issues with the shit netcode, splash damage does LITERAL RNG DAMAGE instead of linear falloff

- The whole dual wield mechanic is useless and terribly designed

- The health/shield system was altered in such a way to improve the campaign at the cost of severely fucking up the balance of multiplayer, with effects you are still feeling today

- Knockback is bugged to everyone but the host player, so they decided to just remove knockback almost completely from future Halo titles

- The item timer system is objectively bad

- The plasma pistol got through beta testing

- Jackal Snipers. The campaign sucked, the extreme autoaim and shield changes forced them to make Legendary a frustrating RNG AI slot machine to make it difficult

- Unplayable huge maps like Burial Mounds and Relic were shoved down our throat in 4v4 (The existence of this map is the ultimate counterargument to "Sprint stretches maps", you got it all backwards)

- Modders ruined XBL to the point where I just cancelled my sub and stuck to LANing the game, which was pathetic because one of the main selling points of XBL was "Closed system guys! Totally secure and moderated! No aimbotting! No cheating!"

How could you possible believe 2A is worse than 2C without being handed an autism diagnosis? Take your nostalgia glasses off. If HCS were to do what you want and play H2C instead of H2A it will have all the same problems it already has, then just add more problems to it.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

explain

Lol..I knew you were going to be the one to ask me about it.

Just personal preference, nothing wrong with the game.

snip

How could you possible believe 2A is worse than 2C without being handed an autism diagnosis? Take your nostalgia glasses off. If HCS were to do what you want and play H2C instead of H2A it will have all the same problems it already has, then just add more problems to it.

H2C advantages: 

Button combos; created the skill gap in H2A. 

Faster movement speed. 

More maps.

No hitmarkers or nade indicators.

Edit: Gotta love autism insults. Wish I hadn't wasted my negs for the day on the pro player interview thread.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol..I knew you were going to be the one to ask me about it.

Just personal preference, nothing wrong with the game.

fair enough. CE master race though

I would assume the 2v2 lan players enjoy it so much because they all understand the game at such a high level and play against such competition. It's a matter of executing a meta that's rather known against other players who are expecting it and countering it. If I didn't know all the randoms, weapon timers, or multiple nade points I would probably think it's overrated myself.

Thing is at one time I got tired of Halo 2 (year 2005) and got back into Halo CE, it almost felt like I was playing two different series altogether if I had the TV on mute. I was almost scared of the more powerful aspects of CE's weapon sandbox.

Oh, unpopular opinion: Blood Gulch and its successors should have been kept as a Machinima Studio feature only. Map did not age well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Even as a casual CE player who doesn't know spawns or all the nade tricks, I find it really enjoyable. In no other game is pure aggression so rewarded. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

i know pretty much nothing about competitive CE, but I just really enjoy shooting the pistol as opposed to modern weapons. It feels much more natural

Halo 3 would have almost been the perfect game (forge, theater, aiming skill) if it weren't for the BR.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 3 would have almost been the perfect game (forge, theater, aiming skill) if it weren't for the BR.

And square grid aiming, dual-wielding, equipment. 

I know it's cool to hate Halo 3 on here, but less spread and for it not to suck online would have made a world of difference. The game was just really inconsistent online. Also, obviously it needed better default maps/settings, but people tend to forget that H2's starting weapon was an SMG. I miss watching people take over games when their BR or snipe was on fire because it was actually harder to shoot.

i know pretty much nothing about competitive CE, but I just really enjoy shooting the pistol as opposed to modern weapons. It feels much more natural

yup i love the CE and Reach pistols. i run hand cannons in destiny and i feel like a badass. i've always preferred having a smaller weapon on screen. 

Thing is at one time I got tired of Halo 2 (year 2005) and got back into Halo CE, it almost felt like I was playing two different series altogether if I had the TV on mute. I was almost scared of the more powerful aspects of CE's weapon sandbox.

Oh, unpopular opinion: Blood Gulch and its successors should have been kept as a Machinima Studio feature only. Map did not age well.

i played coag the other day in halo 2 and it was the dumbest shit i've ever sat through. and you can barely even see the other team on that map. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Coagulation is an embarrassment.  Turning on the "Heavy" weapon set is the only way its tolerable, as it turns the two Brute Shots into Rocket Launchers.  That helps the checkmate scenario of getting the center rockets.  But you still get one team stealing the other's snipe and refilling it endlessly, and you still get a BR that can't crossmap worth a shit.  It's just a bad map, and I instantly lose respect for someone's knowledge of the series if they think it's good.  Nostalgia, playing against bad kids that never exploited the flaws, or what have you, the map is still objectively bad.  If you can't see that, then I just don't value your opinion.