CyReN

What's An Unpopular Halo Opinion You Have?

I'm not even going to bother commenting on the logic you used, however I would like to give my views on armor lock.

By saying this, you're commenting on it.  Not sure if you're aware of that.  You also sound super condescending.  Again, I'm not sure if you even know when you're doing that, because it seems to happen a lot.

armor lock at its core is meant as a way for one player to essentially prevent being ganged up on and killed almost in defensively without any real chance to fight back, I will say that most controversial element of it is that it slows the game down so if your one of those types of people that think slow=bad junkies then I can see why you wouldn't like it no matter the circumstance, that being said it has the potential to make a seemingly one-sided battle into a standoff.

At its best, Armor Lock lets a player skillfully use it to block massive damage, like a rocket, splatter, or a grenade.  At its worst, its like the fat kid who gets in a fight and tries to call "time out" because he's out of breath.  It's a pause button for when unaware players put themselves in a bad position.  I don't see how anyone could think that's a good thing.  It's not that slow=bad and that we're speed junkies.  The problem comes when you outplay someone and have them dead to rights, and they get to fall back on their 4-5 second "time out" button and scream for their teammates to save them.  Armor Lock could be really cool if you:

1. Had to pick it up on the map, and only one could be out a time

2. Only got one use out of it, and it respawned shortly afterwards

3. You could see a player had it by looking at him

4. It lasted for 2 seconds or less

Armor lock is conceptually a good idea, but it was poorly thought out and ended up being awful, not only did they decide to make it into an AA (which is dumb because you wouldn't the player using it to be able to control/abuse it) they also gave AL users magical abilities like if you got stuck with a grenade you could just AL and it would come right off (which they later fixed thankfully) or the whole EMP thing which again coupled with the ability for players to control is just fundamentally stupid, so really I think Bungie screwed up big time with it in Reach.

Now onto how it should have worked the first thing that it should be is an equipment NOT an AA, the reason being stated above. The second thing that should've been different is that players that engage in AL shouldn't have shields regenerate whatsoever, the reason being that if you allow shields to regenerate while the player is in AL it just means that the player will use it as a cop-out mechanism with no real sense of penalty should they make the wrong decision, their are times when it should be wise to engage in AL the moment you're attacked and their are times when it should be better to wait until the last bit of health has been taken from you. The third thing is that players should only be able to use AL once,

I agree with all of this.

once they tap that button they should be forced to stay perfectly still for about 15-30 seconds, this is a way of putting the player into risk/reward situation where if they use it incorrectly they'll just be penalized by a serious lack of power to a potential situation where their teammates get themselves killed for trying to save them. The fourth is that you put a waypoint above the person using AL as a way of letting everyone know where the person using it is, this in a way would force a play.

I think this is ludicrous.  Forced to sit still for THIRTY SECONDS?  Do you have any idea how long that feels in a game?  And the waypoint is totally unnecessary.  That's what communication is for.  That's just overkill.  The equipment you described here would be treated like someone with leprosy.

Overall the way I see it going is that you would go into a game of MM and one of buds would be the only one alive on our team with rockets, all of a suddenly he is ambushed by the opposing team, seeing as how he'll be useless once he's out of AL he goes into AL in about an instant, now he's waiting in a nice bubble hoping his teammates might be able to save him (and the rockets) but the thing is that the enemy knows we want them rocks so they set themselves up around him and the only way we can really win is if we manage to outplay them, so the battle rages on about 30 seconds and around the end the 4th person from the enemy team is now facing the 3rd person from our team and at this point he is unsure of whether he should try a fight the person off and kill the guy with rocks or if he should just flee and regenerate his shields then try to fight the guy with rocks 4v4 style, so he ends up deciding to try his luck with the 3rd person from my team which rages on for a little bit and he does end up winning but the sad thing is that the person with rocks just got out of AL and so he ends up losing in that scenario.

This was difficult to read.  The pronoun usage gave me trouble keeping track of who was on who's team.  All I can say is that anything that forces a player to remain stationary for 30 seconds with a waypoint on his head sounds like some pretty unfun shit to me.

yeah I guess I went a little bit overboard, but my point is that AL didn't have to be the same thoughtless get-out-of-jail-free card it was in Reach, it could have been something decent if they had only put more thought into it :(

Totally agree on this.

By saying this, you're commenting on it.  Not sure if you're aware of that.  You also sound super condescending.  Again, I'm not sure if you even know when you're doing that, because it seems to happen a lot.

the argument that just because its not painfully obvious to everyone that the player has an AA/equipment that by itself makes it unbalanced is just poor logically speaking, the same could be said about rockets or nades, I don't enjoy saying this over and over again because it gets old after a while.

as for the me being condescending part I've learned that its pointless to argue over someone about yourself, all that really matters is what I think of myself, lets just leave it at that.

At its best, Armor Lock lets a player skillfully use it to block massive damage, like a rocket, splatter, or a grenade.  At its worst, its like the fat kid who gets in a fight and tries to call "time out" because he's out of breath.  It's a pause button for when unaware players put themselves in a bad position.  I don't see how anyone could think that's a good thing.  It's not that slow=bad and that we're speed junkies.  The problem comes when you outplay someone and have them dead to rights, and they get to fall back on their 4-5 second "time out" button and scream for their teammates to save them.  Armor Lock could be really cool if you:

1. Had to pick it up on the map, and only one could be out a time

2. Only got one use out of it, and it respawned shortly afterwards

3. You could see a player had it by looking at him

4. It lasted for 2 seconds or less

I can understand the perspective that AL is bad fundamentally on a tournament level because of how important it is to have a large audience watching it which means that usually faster equals better, that's what I was getting at anyway.

as for everything else I take you agree with me?

I think this is ludicrous.  Forced to sit still for THIRTY SECONDS?  Do you have any idea how long that feels in a game?  And the waypoint is totally unnecessary.  That's what communication is for.  That's just overkill.  The equipment you described here would be treated like someone with leprosy.

the amount of time it takes for someone to get out of AL is debatable, as for the waypoint its important to note that not everyone is able to communicate (not everyone has mics) so it was really a way to make it more... mainstream I guess you could say. I suppose on a tournament level it would be overkill but in a typical game of TS I imagine it would help the typical player, I guess you could just have a toggle option like you do with weapons but w/e.

This was difficult to read.  The pronoun usage gave me trouble keeping track of who was on who's team.  All I can say is that anything that forces a player to remain stationary for 30 seconds with a waypoint on his head sounds like some pretty unfun shit to me.

so you judge whether or not something is or is not balanced/works for halo by how fun it is? for everyone not using it it would be about the equivalent of waiting for a power weapon to respawn, for the person using it it probably wouldn't be very entertaining but you could say that's a good thing because it'll just encourage players to use it wisely.

@@Hard Way in bold, bluejay in plain.

I'm not the biggest fan of Midship. I also started with Halo 3 so my map was "Guardian" which I can assume a lot of people hate my opinion. Midship hasn't grown on me. It probably will in Halo 5 though. 

@@Hard Way in bold, bluejay in plain.

Man, I'm just going to have to hope more people read your post, and trust that they'll disagree with you as strongly as I do.  I'm going to stop this debate now, because I don't want to say mean things, and I'd prefer to keep an amicable relationship with you.  Suffice it to say, I strongly disagree with those ideas, but I'd rather just not discuss it anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Man, I'm just going to have to hope more people read your post, and trust that they'll disagree with you as strongly as I do.  I'm going to stop this debate now, because I don't want to say mean things, and I'd prefer to keep an amicable relationship with you.  Suffice it to say, I strongly disagree with those ideas, but I'd rather just not discuss it anymore.

yeah... sure you do.

Blackout should of been a H3 MLG map.

H3 has the best graphics of the series and the graphics from H4 moving forward are terrible to me. Too shiny and futuristic. I like the way H3 and H2 looked a 1000 times better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Blackout should of been a H3 MLG map.

H3 has the best graphics of the series and the graphics from H4 moving forward are terrible to me. Too shiny and futuristic. I like the way H3 and H2 looked a 1000 times better.

I think you are confusing art design and graphics, on that note I always thought CE was the best maybe with reach a close second.

I'm not the biggest fan of Midship. I also started with Halo 3 so my map was "Guardian" which I can assume a lot of people hate my opinion. Midship hasn't grown on me. It probably will in Halo 5 though. 

That's okay. I hate Heretic. Never really played Midship on H2 with good people and stuff like that so I'm not sure if I'd like that, but I haaaaaate Heretic. 

I've been seeing quite a few neg bombs lately, so I thought I'd bring this thread back up so members with unpopular opinions can express their thoughts without fear of losing those vital green internet points.  If you're about to neg someone, please take another look at the title of the thread.  And now for some somewhat unpopular opinions:

I would rather have high reticle aim assist and low bullet magnetism than low reticle aim assist and high bullet magnetism.

The main team colors need to change from red and blue to some other combination if Halo 5's maps are going to be so dark and bluish.  Nostalgia?  Eh.

Everyone who is opposed to a pistol more powerful than rifles needs to evaluate his or her life.

The only good thing about the Battle Rifle is the sound it used to make.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo CE is not perfect.

Grenades were too strong in Reach, too strong in Halo 4, and WAY too strong in H2A. Needed a bit of radius/damage/something rebalancing in CE as well.

Halo 3 is the best Halo game when considering overall features, production value, and gameplay together.

Reach ZBNS was fucking stupid and unplayable due to random bullet bleedthrough and I've no idea why the forum seems to ignore the fact that you can randomly kill people in 3 shots when they're full shields.

• Upvote (+1) 1

the fact that you can randomly kill people in 3 shots when they're full shields.

Yeah except that's not true at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah except that's not true at all. 

It is true. It happened frequently, Or maybe it occurred when someones shields were coming up? I just remember it was ridiculous and I was unsure why people never talked about it.

i complained about headshot bleedthrough in ZBNS all the time. that and slippery movement were why i couldn't play it for too long. If they were default settings (meaning they were refined and went through tweaks), I think Reach would have been a massive hit. The general pace of the games and power of the weapons felt a million times better than nearly everything before or since. I really liked pistol and DMR battles in Reach, but bloom sucked the fun out of that. Or somebody would spam nades and go into armor lock...

It is true. It happened frequently, Or maybe it occurred when someones shields were coming up? I just remember it was ridiculous and I was unsure why people never talked about it.

The latter part is true. What would happen is if you were less than full health, and your shields were not full yet, you would die from one less shot, i.e. if you have 80-99% shields and less than full health, you will die in 4 shots with the DMR. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can someone explain what this is? I have done some searches and can't find anything

Pretty sure its making fun of Ann, not a real quote

I agree with Zanno, H2C is the most overhyped game in the series. It caused Halo's many issues in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 1