CyReN

What's An Unpopular Halo Opinion You Have?

But the BR spread isn't random. It's just more difficult. And your idea of the utility weapon in Halo sounds a lot like the H3 BR. 

The BR spread is absolutely random.  Load up Halo 3 and shoot the BR at a wall, and you will notice that the bullets do land in the same spot every time.  Instead, they land in unpredictable locations, hence the H3 BR spread is random.  Also, trust me when I say that I do not want to see a weapon that functions like the H3 BR in any Halo game again.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

But the BR spread isn't random. It's just more difficult. And your idea of the utility weapon in Halo sounds a lot like the H3 BR. 

It's literally random and designed that way specifically to nerf its effective range...  Here's a Quote directly from Bungie:

In Halo 3, each bullet from the Battle Rifle’s three-round burst is networked individually under the cases outlined above. Additionally, each bullet has a different margin of error, with the first round from the Battle Rifle being the most accurate of the three bullets. The first bullet can have an error between 0 and .15 degrees off of the true aiming vector. The third bullet is between 0 and 0.38 degrees, the second bullet falls somewhere between the first and third. It is a mistake to look at where the third bullet lands and assume all three bullets are that inaccurate. The outliers (0.15 on bullet 1 and 0.38 on bullet 3) are the absolute worst-case scenarios. In that context those numbers don’t mean a whole lot – but in the grand scheme thing of how the Battle Rifle operates, they are pretty meaningful. 

The Battle Rifle works this way because after Halo 2 it was retuned to be a reliable headshot and anti-sniper weapon (in terms of pinging Snipers at distance from their scoped-in state). The first bullet in the burst fills this role – it is quite accurate (identical to the Halo 2 BR, but with a travel time), and will kill an unshielded unit with a headshot or ping a sniper. 

Another design goal with the Battle Rifle in Halo 3 was to bring the kill-range closer. One way this was achieved was by giving bullets 2 and 3 from the BR a wider error, which makes them less likely to land outside of the BR’s intended effective range. Summarily, this reduces the BR’s effectiveness AND damage output at those ranges, without compromising its ability to finish a target at the same range. 

This change allows the Battle Rifle to be competitive in terms of damage output at closer-than-Halo 2-levels, without being so effective at longer range, that players caught in the open are gunned down too quickly (that task in Halo 3’s sandbox belongs to the Sniper Rifle. If you need to control a space 30wu [world units] away, use it instead). 

Source: http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?cid=14347

• Upvote (+1) 5

TiberiusAudley, thank you for taking the time to find and post that.  I forgot that Bungie actually detailed how and why they made the BR random.  Reading that excerpt from the Bungie weekly update reminded me how much that post made me cringe 6 years ago.  I still cannot believe that they intentionally made H3's main utility weapons random, SMDH.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's literally random and designed that way specifically to nerf its effective range...  Here's a Quote directly from Bungie:

Source: http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?cid=14347

+rep, you have bested me. gg

I like their reasoning though. That post is very informative. I think they did the best they could. Sorry. Don't hate, this is in fact the unpopular opinions thread :P

TiberiusAudley, thank you for taking the time to find and post that. I forgot that Bungie actually detailed how and why they made the BR random. Reading that excerpt from the Bungie weekly update reminded me how much that post made me cringe 6 years ago. I still cannot believe that they intentionally made H3's main utility weapons random, SMDH.

So you would have all three bullets identically accurate? Is that the issue? Or is it the .15 itself?

And this is why a Cadence mechanic (read: "something like Bloom") that doesn't introduce randomness is a great idea for a console shooter, such as the 'reverse bloom' (other people's name for it) I've recommended several times in the past...

Basically, when you haven't fired, your reticule is fairly large.  Anything that fills more than half your reticule gets hit.  As you fire, your reticule gets smaller, but it resets (like bloom) -- you can fire really fast and get the reticule down to almost a dot (requiring you to be pin-point accurate...like shooting teammates... in order to land shots.  Or, you can pace your shots to the pace of the reticule reset and rely on aim assist to get your kill.

This means even if you get first shot, the other person can turn and full-spam perfectly accurate shots and beat you if you decided to be careful and pace.  Or, if you're full-spamming and they're out-strafing you, you can miss and they kill you while they pace with superb strafe skills to wreck you.

It adds that excitement to gun battles, keeps aim assist a core part of the console shooter so people actually can hit shots, and adds a layer of skill differentiation where your manual dexterity and your confidence determine your potential in a gun battle.

So is the bloom merely visual?  I myself like a plain, ordinary reticle that lets me aim without being complicated (annoying).

So you would have all three bullets identically accurate? Is that the issue? Or is it the .15 itself?

The angle of deviation physically limits the ability to deal damage past a certain range.  The different angle values make it needlessly complicated and difficult to predict.  The randomness just adds salt to the wound.  In my honest opinion, a single shot, four shot BR with the same travel time and no spread would be both more skillful and more balanced.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So is the bloom merely visual?  I myself like a plain, ordinary reticle that lets me aim without being complicated (annoying).

No -- the reticule shrinks and makes your gun shoot -more- precisely (but, if you're trying to hit a specific target, it may actually be less accurate, since if you aren't pixel-perfect accurate, you will miss.)

Think of it this way (which is how it would be explained in game)...Your gun has an onboard computer that helps you hit targets.  As you fire faster, the computer can't keep up, and its ability to assist is reduced.  If you fire as fast as the gun can fire, you're relying strictly on your own aim, rather than the aim assist.

Rather than TRAJECTORY bloom, it's AIM ASSIST bloom.  I mean, it's not like a man who can FLIP A GODDAMN ELEPHANT has gun recoil, so trajectory bloom and bullet spread don't make much sense.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No -- the reticule shrinks and makes your gun shoot -more- precisely (but, if you're trying to hit a specific target, it may actually be less accurate, since if you aren't pixel-perfect accurate, you will miss.)

Think of it this way (which is how it would be explained in game)...Your gun has an onboard computer that helps you hit targets.  As you fire faster, the computer can't keep up, and its ability to assist is reduced.  If you fire as fast as the gun can fire, you're relying strictly on your own aim, rather than the aim assist.

Rather than TRAJECTORY bloom, it's AIM ASSIST bloom.  I mean, it's not like a man who can FLIP A GODDAMN ELEPHANT has gun recoil, so trajectory bloom and bullet spread don't make much sense.

I really like this; it combines the high aim assist slower kill times of H2 BR, and low aim assist high kill times of CE pistol. This would be  :goat:

I dislike Guardian for any game type other than ball and 1v1s.

And even ball is not nearly as fun / desirable as Lockout balls is.

As for H3's BR: I think it's terrible. Not because of having to lead targets: anyone can get used to that after a while. But the randomness of it just hinders skill-based combat/encounters.

The H2 BR, though insanely easy to cross-map 4-shot someone, is still much more preferable in my eyes. I'd be perfectly happy if H5 had H2's BR without any changes whatsoever, though I'm sure that would never happen. I think with some minor adjustments to auto-aim/bullet magnetism, it would be doable and still much more preferable to H3's BR.

For all its flaws, H4's BR is really nice (post weapon tuning, of course).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ideally, I would prefer the main utility weapon in Halo 5 to be a single shot weapon. But if 343i is going to stick with the BR in H5, I would rather that all the bullets travel in the same trajectory; similar to how the H2 BR worked after the patch. The problem with the H2 BR (IMO), was the game had so much auto aim and bullet magnetism, that it was way too easy to use. Bungie's approach to "fixing the BR" in H3 was flawed, because it hampered players ability to consistently land kills, increased kill times, and made players less powerful. I would have loved to see how a H2 style BR would have functioned with H3's bullet trajectory system, but that wasn't in the cards.

• Upvote (+1) 2

hmmmm...unpopular opinions :) I've got a ton

-i enjoyed dual-wielding and hope it makes a comeback

-halo wars was my favorite halo game

-sprint was not even one of the main reasons of h4's population nosedive; it was random POD, bad matchmaking lobby (uneven team starts), and loadouts (camo,boltshot)

-i liked ivory tower map and hope it has a remake

-i enjoy playing on official map remakes (lol)

-i thought h4 campaign was terrible

-halo should make more spinoffs (not like spartan assault, more like halowars)

hey, i warned you theyd be unpopular xD

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think health belongs in Halo. There should just be shields so that previous encounters don't influence future battles. To me it rewards the less skilled player when you're on a terror, let's say 10 and 0, and even though you have full shields your health is down so you die quicker. 

Edit: Thanks for researching it. Although a game like Halo 3 for example will regenerate it to full health, I still think that 10 second window or whatever where it is in the process of recharging is unfair.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think health belongs in Halo. There should just be shields so that previous encounters don't influence future battles. To me it rewards the less skilled player when you're on a terror, let's say 10 and 0, and even though you have full shields your health is down so you die quicker. 

As far as I know, Halo CE and Halo Reach are the only ones where your health didn't regenerate to full outside of combat.  They were also the only two with health packs and visible health, though.

Can anyone prove me wrong with a source?  I know Halo 3's regenerated to full; I can dig up a source for that.

As far as I know, Halo CE and Halo Reach are the only ones where your health didn't regenerate to full outside of combat.  They were also the only two with health packs and visible health, though.

Can anyone prove me wrong with a source?  I know Halo 3's regenerated to full; I can dig up a source for that.

I never played Reach (quit Halo during H3), but I know that in Halo 2 and Halo 3, a players invisible health would regenerate to full outside of combat, just like you mentioned. However, I do not know how long this regeneration took (it was not instantaneous).  

I think LimeSoda's point, is that he feels that any health system, whether it be visible (H:CE and Reach), or invisible (H2 and H3), does not belong in Halo. 

Personally, I am ambivalent to whether or not any type of health system is implemented in H5.  However, I will say that being killed by one grenade with full shields is rather annoying, so maybe I should care?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I never played Reach (quit Halo during H3), but I know that in Halo 2 and Halo 3, a players invisible health would regenerate to full outside of combat, just like you mentioned. However, I do not know how long this regeneration took (it was not instantaneous).  

I think LimeSoda's point, is that he feels that any health system, whether in be visible (H:CE and Reach), or invisible (H2 and H3), does not belong in Halo. 

Personally, I am ambivalent to whether or not any type of health system is implemented in H5.  However, I will say that being killed by one grenade with full shields is rather annoying, so maybe I should care?

Regarding Halo 3 health...

There is one more wrinkle to this: your invisible body hit points do recharge, but at a different rate from your shields. While ordinarily this is a non-issue (we’ve always made this largely transparent), it can affect the outcome of a contest. For those of you keeping score, body hit points start regenerating 10 seconds after last taking damage, at a rate of 9 hp/sec. So if your shields are up but you’re fresh from taking a beating, you could still be in trouble in a contest.

Source: http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13280  (I found that when I was talking about the Brute Shot in my last Audley Enough and bitching about how its melee didn't DO anything special like H2's did where you could jump one-shot someone with the melee.  Fuckin' 72 damage.  TWO EXTRA POINTS OF DAMAGE FROM THAT BIG ASS FUCKING BLADE.  gj Bungie.

(But basically, you regenerated 20% of your health per second over 5 seconds.  Max health was 45, regenerated 9/sec AFTER 10 seconds.)

• Upvote (+1) 4

-sprint was not even one of the main reasons of h4's population nosedive; it was random POD, bad matchmaking lobby (uneven team starts), and loadouts (camo,boltshot)

I actually agree with you somewhat. lol Halo Wars was amazing. I hope they make another one.

I dislike Guardian for any game type other than ball and 1v1s.

And even ball is not nearly as fun / desirable as Lockout balls is.

You reminded me; I liked Lockout Ball. Lol.

Most of those aren't thaaaat bad. I only played the demo of Halo Wars, seemed pretty interesting, but idk about it being the best :p

H4's campaign was trash. So many unanswered questions...

But what do you mean by "official map remakes"?

I think LimeSoda's point, is that he feels that any health system, whether in be visible (H:CE and Reach), or invisible (H2 and H3), does not belong in Halo. 

I think it's unimportant for us to know the numbers behind it all. 

In Halo 3, I liked how you could get made one shot and take a couple more shots in the body, let's say it's 5 bursts, then you'd die on the 6th (I don't know the actual number), but if you only took 5 and got away, then regenerated your shields, it would take another 6 bursts after your shields got knocked down again in order to kill you. Reach was so frustrating with that finding a med pack stuff. One nade killing you when you were full shields in an intense competitive game was one of the more annoying things about that game. 

Most of those aren't thaaaat bad. I only played the demo of Halo Wars, seemed pretty interesting, but idk about it being the best :P

H4's campaign was trash. So many unanswered questions...

But what do you mean by "official map remakes"?

I meant official like the developers remake the map, like The Pit -> Pitfall, not like Salot's Lockout which I don't really enjoy playing on. I think the H2A Lockout looks awesome, the falling stalagmites are questionable but making the glass on topmid breakable is kinda cool.

I meant official like the developers remake the map, like The Pit -> Pitfall, not like Salot's Lockout which I don't really enjoy playing on. I think the H2A Lockout looks awesome, the falling stalagmites are questionable but making the glass on topmid breakable is kinda cool.

Ah, fair enough. I agree with you on that as well. Except Heretic. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fairly confident Halo 3's doesn't regen to full/if it did it took quite some time. I think with MLG settings, it was 6 snipes or so to the body before you die in one snipe shot/nade.

^just read the post with the time taken to regen, that makes sense =p.

Edit; Also happens often you can survive a 3 shot beat down from a br if you snipe/mauler+beat down someone, you trade beatdowns but for some reason you can even be on 1/10th shield and go one shot from a beat down. When your shield comes back, you are very likely do die in one nade/one sniper bullet.

H4 was my favorite recent Halo campaign. I couldn't stand Reach's and H3 was very underwhelming. 

And Halo Wars had some really badass cut scenes. The spartans pulling off matrix shit and the Arbiter dual wielding

• Upvote (+1) 1