CyReN

What's An Unpopular Halo Opinion You Have?

I think neither are good for Halo gameplay.

De-scoping is just a bad mechanic for core sandbox rifles -- because it's a snowball mechanic in a fight.  If you get/land the first shot, you are locking your opponent out of the ability to fight back on an even playing field.  If he tries to scope in, he gets repeatedly knocked out of scope and "scope cycle locked" until he dies.  His best bet is to try to land an aim assistless (no red reticule) shot to de-scope his opponent, then quick scope to keep the opponent locked out and just flip the tables to an equally annoying/dire situation.  It's an unintuitive mechanic that doesn't belong in -ANY- game.  (De-scoping a Sniper?  Fine.  It's the only real way to keep him from killing you if you're both looking at each other.  De-scoping a standard weapon, fucking stupid.)

Flinch is a good mechanic in games where you kill in a short time and headshots are almost always a one or two-shot kill -- because it means even body shots are useful, but it's recoverable by the person "flinching" -- it's no different than having to compensate for your vertical/horizontal recoil, which in those games you're already accustomed to anyway.  In Halo, the only guns I can recall with vertical recoil were SMGs in H2 (though, I may be forgetting some other automatics that had it.)

I'm not really sure what sort of mechanic -should- be used for punishing the player who doesn't get first shot -- but given that Halo is intended to be a more arena-esque shooter, you'd think it would bank more on movement/strafe penalties or reticule speed than actually impacting the reticule (flinch) or aim-assist (de-scoping) of a player.

Interesting. I personally think that in practice that descoping tends to work pretty well, but I can understand why you think the way you do. Far be it from me to deride anyone for an opinion in this thread.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm looking forward too playing h2a more than anything else on MCC. That's not pretty unpopular for this forum.

I thought arena in reach was a really good idea, if had better playlists and more people playing and a little tweak here or there it would of been better than 1-50. Kids love them 50s tho.

I like some AAs (map pick up only!)

I like Radar! I'm a total noob and can't play without. Srs.

I also think descope was stupid, especially with the scope being on a button that's so easy to accidentally click. Its flaws became more apparent in Reach with bloom; nothing was more messy than a DMR battle across Hemorrhage or Paradiso. Flinch wasn't the solution, but it'd be a missed opportunity if nothing is done at all. 

Worst case scenario, they could use a flinch system on some weapons and descope on snipers.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 3 in the MCC will be better than H2C in the MCC. 

If Halo 3 was released with dedicated servers and your shots actually connected it would widely be regarded as the 2nd best Halo behind H1 and better than H2/V7Reach and every other Halo game. Halo 3 had everything except a bad-netcode. Best maps, best sniper (It was the most difficult to use out of all the Halo games), best BR (if the net-code was good), best player-models (something that is crucially underrated), best movement (again if lag wasn't an issue), best ranking system (getting a 50 was possible, but still difficult enough to be a challenge, unlike H2 where it is virtually impossible), best playlists, introduction of Forge and Theatre, best campaign IMO (this one is obviously highly subjective), best graphical style (the game doesn't look outdated in 2014, 7 years after release) and finally it was the most popular game, that was played on the Pro Circuit at a time when the Halo community was thriving. Is there anything I missed? 

I'm not saying Halo 2 is a bad game, I'm just saying H3 would be above it, if it shipped with dedicated servers in 2007.   

Don't be surprised when MCC comes out, and the population graphs show more people playing H3 than H2C after a few months. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I hate that vehicles are a part of Halo multiplayer, even if they are just for the casual audience.

Whoa whoa whoa, vehicles are -not- just for the casual audience.

Otherwise things like BigTeamBattle.net wouldn't exist -- where we had ladders in Reach, a season or two of tournaments in Halo 4...

And then there wouldn't be enormous, 21-page, 14,000 word analyses of the vehicles like this:

Part 1 - UNSC Vehicles

Part 2 - Covenant Vehicles

where vehicles are weighed against the core game design philosophies Riot Games applies to League of Legends.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If Halo 3 was released with dedicated servers and your shots actually connected it would widely be regarded as the 2nd best Halo behind H1 and better than H2/V7Reach and every other Halo game. Halo 3 had everything except a bad-netcode. Best maps, best sniper (It was the most difficult to use out of all the Halo games), best BR (if the net-code was good), best player-models (something that is crucially underrated), best movement (again if lag wasn't an issue), best ranking system (getting a 50 was possible, but still difficult enough to be a challenge, unlike H2 where it is virtually impossible), best playlists, introduction of Forge and Theatre, best campaign IMO (this one is obviously highly subjective), best graphical style (the game doesn't look outdated in 2014, 7 years after release) and finally it was the most popular game, that was played on the Pro Circuit at a time when the Halo community was thriving. Is there anything I missed? 

I'm not saying Halo 2 is a bad game, I'm just saying H3 would be above it, if it shipped with dedicated servers in 2007.   

Don't be surprised when MCC comes out, and the population graphs show more people playing H3 than H2C after a few months. 

Peer to peer and shot registration weren't the only issues Halo 3 faced.

This,  because Halo 3 was my first halo and I've played lots of h2 vista now and agree halo 3 is better in almost every aspect besides netcode. Even if you say they are about equal in gameplay the fact you can forge on h3 and change weapons, spawns should be enough. This is one of the things I dislike most about original halo 2, you have to play the same games, there's no variation, no changing spawns, maps. 

This may change over time if the H2 Classic wows me over too much but as on now, h3 is king.

• Downvote (-1) 1

impossible to find

Certainly not. There are not common but Sony, Samsung, Toshiba all had HD-CRT with HDMI. But the HDMI-signal was of course converted to an analog signal somewhere in the chain.

Here you have a (pretty large) manual about the Samsung:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200611/20061120085648906_AA68-03786A-04Eng_0602_book.pdf

Sorry for the OfT.

If Halo 3 was released with dedicated servers and your shots actually connected it would widely be regarded as the 2nd best Halo behind H1 and better than H2/V7Reach and every other Halo game. Halo 3 had everything except a bad-netcode. Best maps, best sniper (It was the most difficult to use out of all the Halo games), best BR (If the net-code was good), best player-models (something that is crucially underrated), best movement (again if lag wasn't an issue), best ranking system (getting a 50 was possible, but still difficult enough to be a challenge, unlike H2 where it is virtually impossible), best playlists, introduction of Forge and Theatre, best campaign IMO (this one is obviously highly subjective), best graphical style (the game doesn't look outdated in 2014, 7 years after release) and finally it was the most popular game, that was played on the Pro Circuit at a time when the Halo community was thriving.

I'm sorry but I dont think so, Halo 3 had MUCH more issues than Halo 2 ever had(post patch). Not only bad net-code but many other issues like the melees(which are just bad), spread(it doesnt not belong anywhere in Halo)among other things. Popular ? Possibly , Better ? I dont think so.

Well this one will be unpopular.

I disagree on the following points:

• Better than Reach - Referring purely to ZBNS variants, obviously.
  • Best Maps - Both of Halo 3's predecessors had significantly better map pools overall in my opinion.
  • Best Sniper - I'd say second best sniper. Halo CE required a bit more leading, had to exist in a much more powerful sandbox, and also had a 2x scope which is interesting.
  • Best BR - Way too much spread to agree on this one. Shot leading is nice, but it's in direct opposition to random spread and burst fire. Leading randomised shots amplifies the bad design issues therein.
  • Best Movement - Halo 3 was where it started to feel slippery when strafing. Both its predecessors have more controllable movement overall and Halo 4 has by far the best crouch mechanics in relation to strafing given that it's the only Halo in which you can slide into a crouch while moving.
  • Best Ranking System - Halo 3's ranking system is widely criticised as being too easy. I think that Reach's Arena system (post S7 at which point it was based purely on wins and losses) would work a lot better with a large population and good gametypes due to the way it operates like a leaderboard, encouraging constant upkeep of your performance.
  • Best Playlists - Strongly disagree! There are way too many randomised OBJ gametypes and matches that start without a BR for me to consider Halo 3's playlists good on average. As far as the general matchmaking experience goes I don't think Halo has ever really got it right, but at least in Halo 4 you could always spawn with a reliable weapon despite every other issue the game had.
  • Best Campaign - In fairness this one is highly subjective, and I do like the way H3's campaign plays over H2, Reach, and 4 despite enjoying Halo 2's overall story more.
  • Best Graphical Style - Again highly subjective, but personally I'd give this to H2A (preferably without the background light glare that was also prominent in Halo 4) as far environments go and Reach as far as armour goes. There's just something about those deep colours and battleworn style that I find very appealing.

And in there I think I ventured another unpopular opinion of my own - Halo's typical playlist setup is terrible. Despite the ranking systems we've had throughout the years no amount of foisting AR/SMG starts on players and throwing random Oddball spawn locations or random Hill movement at them will help them develop as players and experience more of the game's depth, and that's just a shame.

• Upvote (+1) 3

- Reach is the worst Halo

-NBNS was terrible.

-Halo 4 Slayer Pro was better than any game type Reach had.

-Halo 3 is the best of the series

-Halo 3 BR is the best of the series

-Halo 3 Sniper is the best of H2 to H4

-Lockout has always been a terrible map, no matter what game type is being played

-The only good thing about Reach was the Campaign and the Grenade Launcher.

-Pre Patch Halo 2 was horrible

-Glitches don't belong in a competitive games

I am also willing to bet that after the nostalgia of the MCC wears off more people will be playing H3 than 2.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

- Reach is the worst Halo

-NBNS was terrible.

-Halo 4 Slayer Pro was better than any game type Reach had.

-Halo 3 is the best of the series

-Halo 3 BR is the best of the series

-Halo 3 Sniper is the best of H2 to H4

-Lockout has always been a terrible map, no matter what game type is being played

-The only good thing about Reach was the Campaign and the Grenade Launcher.

-Pre Patch Halo 2 was horrible

-Glitches don't belong in a competitive games

I am also willing to bet that after the nostalgia of the MCC wears off more people will be playing H3 than 2.

Idk why this is an unpopular opinion, i agree with all of this. People I play with do also.

But, Id say Reach NSNB is a lot better than any H4.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Probably super alone on this one: I've never been too interested in 8v8 Halo on any game. It doesn't appeal to me at all. BTB just isn't for me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

- Reach is the worst Halo...

-NBNS was terrible....

Reach had invasion which was too cool to bring back (it's the most complex game type by far ever).

NBNS was.... well.... it was!

I believe the bulk of the population will get their butts handed to them on H1 and h2 and stick with h3 before the end of the year, establishing h3 as the best halo ever BECAUSE the skill gap is at its sweat spot with h3.

Probably super alone on this one: I've never been too interested in 8v8 Halo on any game. It doesn't appeal to me at all. BTB just isn't for me.

I think loads of people in here on in the same boat. lol

Idk why this is an unpopular opinion, i agree with all of this. People I play with do also.

But, Id say Reach NSNB is a lot better than any H4.

Some of those opinions aren't popular like saying H3 is the best Halo or that the H3 BR was the best. Or that NBNS was terrible. 

• Upvote (+1) 2