CyReN

What's An Unpopular Halo Opinion You Have?

Well if you are unable to enjoy Halo 1 and 2 because the numbers don't match your fantasy than if anything I feel sorry for you.

It's not like they're adding in new features or taking anything away. They're simply increasing the resolution and frame rate then removing the host advantage. If the tiny numbers like FOV hurt you that much than seriously I feel bad for you. Not being able to play Halo 1 and 2 in 1080p/60 because an element like FOV doesn't match your expectation than that must absolutely suck.

fov is just 1 out of 10 things though... p.s. 108-86 = half of halo 3's FOV so yeah...

and its not my fantasy. it's the original fucking game.

changing the fov of the game for frame rates is like making halo1's nade radius smaller for frame rates. same thing

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but...

I think a multi-Halo game event (H1, H2C, H3) would be an fun and exciting tournament to watch. Some people really write off MLG Philly '05 as an awful event because it had both CE and 2, but I feel like 343 could handle a multi-Halo event way better than 2005's Major League Gaming could. The event could be 2 or 3 Halos and obviously Halo: MCC would be used.

Alright, there's a group of people that play the game a lot, have taken the time to get good at it, and they understand the game.  Then theres another group of people that have not played the game a lot, have not gotten good at it, and do not understand the game very well.  The second group tends to have stupid ideas about the way gameplay should be, based on lack of experience and knowing what works.  It's not narcissism.  They simply do not know what they're talking about.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but...

I think a multi-Halo game event (H1, H2C, H3) would be an fun and exciting tournament to watch. Some people really write off MLG Philly '05 as an awful event because it had both CE and 2, but I feel like 343 could handle a multi-Halo event way better than 2005's Major League Gaming could. The event could be 2 or 3 Halos and obviously Halo: MCC would be used.

That's not why they write off Philly '05 as bad.  It has that reputation because the H2 portion was Team Slayer only, and included bad gametypes like Gemini TS and Elongation TS, both of which Str8 Rippin exploited to the max en route to winning the event, breaking a long streak of victories by Team 3D both before and after the event.  It was an anomaly that allowed an inferior team to cheese out a win.  The fact that there was a Halo 1 tourney improved the perception of Philly '05.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hard Way,

Completely forgot about TS only. I knew that Str8 won the event, and knew that there had to be some flaws to the tournament style, but didn't remember exactly what they were. CE did help that tournament. Hopefully T2 and the gang doesn't count that as an event win either.

Hard Way,

Completely forgot about TS only. I knew that Str8 won the event, and knew that there had to be some flaws to the tournament style, but didn't remember exactly what they were. CE did help that tournament. Hopefully T2 and the gang doesn't count that as an event win either.

Lol why shouldn't they count it as a win? They were better in the gametypes for that particular event and deserved it. Long live T2 #FreeT2

Lol why shouldn't they count it as a win? They were better in the gametypes for that particular event and deserved it. Long live T2 #FreeT2

Gametypes for that particular event? You mean just TS? No direct hate toward T2 or the rest of 2005 Str8, but with TS only, and TS Gemini and Elongation, a victory there doesn't mean the same to me as a victory elsewhere with actual Objective gametypes. Also, consider the year 2005. SO MANY EVENTS. This means less great teams attending each event. Silly to think that a win at a TS only event means the same as a win at another event.

Alright, there's a group of people that play the game a lot, have taken the time to get good at it, and they understand the game.  Then theres another group of people that have not played the game a lot, have not gotten good at it, and do not understand the game very well.  The second group tends to have stupid ideas about the way gameplay should be, based on lack of experience and knowing what works.  It's not narcissism.  They simply do not know what they're talking about.

Just because something doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean that those who it doesn't make since to do not know what they're talking about. Halo being a good casual game is as important as it being a good competitive one. There are plenty of casuals who have played Halo a lot and are good but have opinions about gameplay that conflict with yours. The more the competitive community alienated itself from the overall Halo community the worse it gets.

How would increasing resolution decrease the FOV? (Btw I'm not trying to Troll you, I'm not trying to get snarky with you, I'm genuinely interested)

idk its just all halo games that supported standard and widescreen mode have always had dif fovs. Cea has dif fovs than h1 as well

Alright, there's a group of people that play the game a lot, have taken the time to get good at it, and they understand the game. Then theres another group of people that have not played the game a lot, have not gotten good at it, and do not understand the game very well. The second group tends to have stupid ideas about the way gameplay should be, based on lack of experience and knowing what works. It's not narcissism. They simply do not know what they're talking about.

which is completely orthoganal to HOW some players in either group treat others, ya?

which is completely orthoganal to HOW some players in either group treat others, ya?

So where do you guys draw the line then? How uninformed and objectively BAD must an idea be before you recognize that some opinions are less valuable than others?

So where do you guys draw the line then? How uninformed and objectively BAD must an idea be before you recognize that some opinions are less valuable than others?

I would ask why are you equating treating people poorly with being knowledgeable? You might notice I never brought up knowledge or ignorance into my posts.

The problem is how one group treats the other and when it is bad it quite often comes down to lack of confidence in one's views. Narcissistic people feel their views are the only worth wild views and they flame (to make this terse) anyone whose opinion challenges their own views.

When you know what to look for you see it all over the place.

its not hdmi, it's just crt's don't support hdmi so you can't get lagless display. tho yes, the issue you mentioned causes lag, it's just lag on top of lag

my samsung CRT with hdmi says otherwise

that analogy is pretty terrible. a better analogy is that 343 is telling us that the burger has really nice buns, but won't say anything about the lettuce, onions, tomato, pickles, cheese, and beef. 343 just keeps emphasizes about how good the buns are, but in reality when I'm buying a burger, the last thing I give a shit about are the buns

@@Shekkles h2v and h2c are not the same. Same thing for halo pc and halo1. How is FOV going to be affected when halo1/2 are not displayed in 4:3 but rather 16:9, are we going to lose the 108degrees FOV of halo1 and be reverted to the 86 we had in HCEA campaign? there are lots of questions that have been purposely ignored since e3, most of them wouldn't even be considered spoilers

edit: my point is if 90% of people don't care about the field of vision for example, why are they being so secretive about it?

They did tell us they are using lean meat and it is being cooked on an open flame grill.

We just don't know the meat manufacturer.

Wait... are we talking about MCC or H5?

I would ask why are you equating treating people poorly with being knowledgeable? You might notice I never brought up knowledge or ignorance into my posts.

The problem is how one group treats the other and when it is bad it quite often comes down to lack of confidence in one's views. Narcissistic people feel their views are the only worth wild views and they flame (to make this terse) anyone whose opinion challenges their own views.

When you know what to look for you see it all over the place.

Ahh, then we were talking about two different things. I thought you were arguing for equal weight to both informed and uninformed opinions. Yeah, I'm not gonna sit here and argue in favor of flaming and treating people poorly. That doesn't do us any good. I just want opinions of skilled, knowledgeable veterans to carry more weight than kids that started in the sprint/loadout era that think those things are good for the game. I don't believe that's narcissistic. I think that's just common sense.

So what of the people that loudly and confidently trumpet their opinions of things that are generally considered bad for Halo ("Sprint makes the game faster!"). What personality disorder do you assign them?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ahh, then we were talking about two different things. I thought you were arguing for equal weight to both informed and uninformed opinions. Yeah, I'm not gonna sit here and argue in favor of flaming and treating people poorly. That doesn't do us any good. I just want opinions of skilled, knowledgeable veterans to carry more weight than kids that started in the sprint/loadout era that think those things are good for the game. I don't believe that's narcissistic. I think that's just common sense.

So what of the people that loudly and confidently trumpet their opinions of things that are generally considered bad for Halo ("Sprint makes the game faster!"). What personality disorder do you assign them?

I don't think arrogance is considered a disorder. Maybe it is.

That if Halo 4 had been the first Halo title, no one would've dared mention Flinch as a bad thing...and people would realize how stupid de-scoping actually is.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Not sure if this is an "unpoplular opinion or not" but I'll just go with it. With any game, longevity is key.  Especially for a multilayer game and an FPS at that.  Ranks are the first layer, and I think we can all agree on that.  We NEED ranks.  Ranks will keep the competition flowing and have you trying to achieve something.  After that, there still needs to be something that makes you standout or makes you want to strive for.  For me that is cosmetic upgrades. 

For Halo, that doesn't mean more powerful weapons as things need to be balanced. But in an MMO Like WoW, having your character stand out can have a feeling of self reward.  I think that is something Halo needs.  I know there has been weapon skins and armor skins in the past, but majority of them are easily obtained.  There needs to be a system in place where you can earn these weapon and armor skins based off performance and doing crazy things, but really make your Spartan stand out amongst the rest.  I'd love to jump into matchmaking and see a player on the enemy team with some crazy Chromed out Battle Rifle or something and think "Holy Sh*T, that got 50 straight kills to get that skin".  Something a long those lines. 

Like I said, I know there has been this in the past, but it needs to be taken to another level where things can be earned for doing crazy things, even if the odds of some one getting 100 straight kills in a row are so slim, maybe 1 guy gets it and now he is there to stand unique amongst the rest. 

Like I mentioned at the start, Ranks are 1st priority and will help the longevity of the game.  But I think really awesome cosmetic upgrades based off performance/achievements can also give us something to strive for. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

That if Halo 4 had been the first Halo title, no one would've dared mention Flinch as a bad thing...and people would realize how stupid de-scoping actually is.

You speak the truth and the religious zealots neg you...

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is mostly true. From a realism standpoint, flinch makes much more sense so to change it late in the franchise would definitely confuse people and many would dislike it.

The real question is, do you think it's better or worse for Halo gameplay as a whole?

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is mostly true. From a realism standpoint, flinch makes much more sense so to change it late in the franchise would definitely confuse people and many would dislike it.

The real question is, do you think it's better or worse for Halo gameplay as a whole?

I think neither are good for Halo gameplay.

De-scoping is just a bad mechanic for core sandbox rifles -- because it's a snowball mechanic in a fight.  If you get/land the first shot, you are locking your opponent out of the ability to fight back on an even playing field.  If he tries to scope in, he gets repeatedly knocked out of scope and "scope cycle locked" until he dies.  His best bet is to try to land an aim assistless (no red reticule) shot to de-scope his opponent, then quick scope to keep the opponent locked out and just flip the tables to an equally annoying/dire situation.  It's an unintuitive mechanic that doesn't belong in -ANY- game.  (De-scoping a Sniper?  Fine.  It's the only real way to keep him from killing you if you're both looking at each other.  De-scoping a standard weapon, fucking stupid.)

Flinch is a good mechanic in games where you kill in a short time and headshots are almost always a one or two-shot kill -- because it means even body shots are useful, but it's recoverable by the person "flinching" -- it's no different than having to compensate for your vertical/horizontal recoil, which in those games you're already accustomed to anyway.  In Halo, the only guns I can recall with vertical recoil were SMGs in H2 (though, I may be forgetting some other automatics that had it.)

I'm not really sure what sort of mechanic -should- be used for punishing the player who doesn't get first shot -- but given that Halo is intended to be a more arena-esque shooter, you'd think it would bank more on movement/strafe penalties or reticule speed than actually impacting the reticule (flinch) or aim-assist (de-scoping) of a player.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1