aksKyun

LoL Pro Team Manager talks about going pro in eSports, and Halo

Great read, so many young gamers dream of being a "pro gamer" but dont realize just how hard and frivolous being a "pro gamer" really is unless you are the prominent few like T2, Fatality, Dennis "Thresh" Fong, ect.. who managed to use pro gaming as a platform to gain access to the wider gaming industry. Pro gaming is still not a reliable source of income for the majority of pro gamers and until more leagues like Riot did with LCS actually "contract" pro player to show up and play instead of pro players showing up to hopefully make money it will not become a stable profession. The other issue he brings up is the longevity of the games which rely on the popularity of the current player-bases to continue being relevant, I am not sure what the solution to that is but Sundance did talk about his dream of making a game specifically designed for long-term professional play that would certainly be interesting if something like that actually happened in the future.

"E-sports" is only in its infancy currently and will certainly continue to get bigger in the gaming industry, as I believe this generation of gamers will be the ones to catapult e-sports into the main-stream. I believe that was MLG's goal and still may be to take professional gaming to main-stream audiences. With the rise of live-streaming, the "internet generation", and major companies like Activision and even Microsoft now realizing the potential e-sports has to market their own platforms/games I see e-sports continuing to grow next-gen.  As Gandhi said at PAX, there was like 4 major e-sport events going on at a major gaming event and you could go up to just about anyone and they knew what "pro gaming" is and had favorite teams/players something that never would of happened before 2010. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Great read, so many young gamers dream of being a "pro gamer" but dont realize just how hard and frivolous being a "pro gamer" really is unless you are the prominent few like T2, Fatality, Dennis "Thresh" Fong, ect.. who managed to use pro gaming as a platform to gain access to the wider gaming industry. Pro gaming is still not a reliable source of income for the majority of pro gamers and until more leagues like Riot did with LCS actually "contract" pro player to show up and play instead of pro players showing up to hopefully make money it will not become a stable profession. The other issue he brings up is the longevity of the games which rely on the popularity of the current player-bases to continue being relevant, I am not sure what the solution to that is but Sundance did talk about his dream of making a game specifically designed for long-term professional play that would certainly be interesting if something like that actually happened in the future.

"E-sports" is only in its infancy currently and will certainly continue to get bigger in the gaming industry, as I believe this generation of gamers will be the ones to catapult e-sports into the main-stream. I believe that was MLG's goal and still may be to take professional gaming to main-stream audiences. With the rise of live-streaming, the "internet generation", and major companies like Activision and even Microsoft now realizing the potential e-sports has to market their own platforms/games I see e-sports continuing to grow next-gen.  As Gandhi said at PAX, there was like 4 major e-sport events going on at a major gaming event and you could go up to just about anyone and they knew what "pro gaming" is and had favorite teams/players something that never would of happened before 2010. 

Agreed, however we still haven't seen an decay with "successful eSports game" other than fps's which is also interesting for CoD had a falling point, Counter Strike had a falling point but is slowly gaining momentum again, and of course Halo is/had? in a falling point as well while games like StarCraft has not seen a falling point yet and has been a huge esport game since 1999

Agreed, however we still haven't seen an decay with "successful eSports game" other than fps's which is also interesting for CoD had a falling point, Counter Strike had a falling point but is slowly gaining momentum again, and of course Halo is/had? in a falling point as well while games like StarCraft has not seen a falling point yet and has been a huge esport game since 1999

Very true, but game series like CS,Quake, and Halo used to bigger in their "hey-days" if you will because their general  population declined which usually leads to the decline of the comp scene as well. Starcraft got bigger with Starcraft II but its not nearly not as huge as it was in 2010/2011 so its in a sort of "decline" in the NA scene at least(although there is still a scene for BW yada yada I know). its no mistake that some of the most popular "core" games are the biggest professional games right now. 

LoL and dota 2 have shown that F2P might be the future of "e-sports" by making hardcore games accessible and constantly evolving with new content and downloadable items increasing game longevity.  

Very true, but game series like CS,Quake, and Halo used to bigger in their "hey-days" if you will because their general  population declined which usually leads to the decline of the comp scene as well. Starcraft got bigger with Starcraft II but its not nearly not as huge as it was in 2010/2011 so its in a sort of "decline" in the NA scene at least(although there is still a scene for BW yada yada I know). its no mistake that some of the most popular "core" games are the biggest professional games right now. 

LoL and dota 2 have shown that F2P might be the future of "e-sports" by making hardcore games accessible and constantly evolving with new content and downloadable items increasing game longevity.  

Not true about the StarCraft 2, when StarCraft Brood War had a wayy higher peak than StarCraft 2 (especially in Korea) StarCraft 2 got bigger in countries yes but SC2 has brought in more new generation fans not many old ones as well

Holy crap.

It's like I haven't been saying this for the last 3 years.

If you can support yourself by being a pro gamer. Good, but you better have a actual job once the money flow ends.

I mean, some players (especially in halo)  can certainly game and get an education at the same time.

Ace, after taxes, certainly made upwards of $100,000 from gaming last year (i know he is the only one though)

But the thing to take away is that he was also in school and is majoring in chemical engineering.    It is possible for bright people to balance the two and make money from gaming as well.

In other words I hold the opinion that pro gaming is fine- just stay in school as well.

Many halo pros have done this.

I mean, some players (especially in halo)  can certainly game and get an education at the same time.

Ace, after taxes, certainly made upwards of $100,000 from gaming last year (i know he is the only one though)

But the thing to take away is that he was also in school and is majoring in mechanical engineering.    It is possible for bright people to balance the two and make money from gaming as well.

In other words I hold the opinion that pro gaming is fine- just stay in school as well.

I think Ace is majoring in Chemical Engineering.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I mean, some players (especially in halo) can certainly game and get an education at the same time.

But the thing to take away is that he was also in school and is majoring in mechanical engineering. danIt is possible for bright people to balance the two and make money from gaming as well.

I think this only really applies to games that aren't quite so "intensive". Halo is at that point right now, where you are able to have an education and play professionally and still do well at both. However, when you look at games like LoL it is a completely different story. They are playing in the season games every week, which requires more time to be dedicated to the game. It means that they literally have no life outside of the game since they are living together and constantly doing things about/around/with the game.

Other games (CoD, Halo, etc) have maybe a tournament a month, sometimes a little more, sometimes less. There are bigger breaks in between the events where they aren't playing "professionally". This lets them have a life outside of the game, but also earn less than other games usually.

I would always suggest that you finish high school first before getting into pro gaming. Just some games will require more commitment which may not allow you to continue your education at the same time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would think the motivation should always be there to branch after your done playing competitively. That should always be the end goal, should it not? I guess some people do it for fun, a side thing during school for something else, but if your gonna go that far into the gaming world for years, you may as well try to build a name for yourself and turn it into something else later. I would think so much experience in certain games would be able to land some kind of job in gaming post epic slaughtering correct? :)

I think Ace is majoring in Chemical Engineering.

You are right, and I knew this as well.  I think I just typed "mechanical engineering" by force of habit.  :P

I think this only really applies to games that aren't quite so "intensive". Halo is at that point right now, where you are able to have an education and play professionally and still do well at both. However, when you look at games like LoL it is a completely different story. They are playing in the season games every week, which requires more time to be dedicated to the game. It means that they literally have no life outside of the game since they are living together and constantly doing things about/around/with the game.

Other games (CoD, Halo, etc) have maybe a tournament a month, sometimes a little more, sometimes less. There are bigger breaks in between the events where they aren't playing "professionally". This lets them have a life outside of the game, but also earn less than other games usually.

I would always suggest that you finish high school first before getting into pro gaming. Just some games will require more commitment which may not allow you to continue your education at the same time.

Right, I'm specifically speaking about Halo here and other less-intensive games.