Drewski

Halo 1 problems and areas of improvment

I have been in a big halo 1 mood lately, so i thought i would start this up. Halo 1 is held by quite a few to be the best halo of the saga, and even one of the best FPS of all time if not THE best console FPS of all time. So what are some of its faults? things it could of done better? i honestly have heard close to zero on this topic and thought it would be interesting to see some of your thoughts, especially those who are well versed in Halo 1 knowledge.

And Im not talking about obvious stuff like graphics, or should of been online implemented or better UI. I mean like "deeper" things like, Was the pistol a little TOO powerful? would it of been better or just as good as if it would of been a 4 shot? things like this or Map layouts and weapon and spawn timers, or how weapons behaved. Things like this i believe would be interesting to hear about and get thoughts on.

- Feet stop moving when you throw a grenade. - Flag pickup/score radius is way too big. - No in-game clock. Also, sometimes if you jump right as a grenade hits you and your momentum is dramatically increased. Edit: Confirmed as 180 glitch.

There's plenty more. I'll play some tonight hopefully and think of a few more.

- No red X's where teammates died.

- No score on the HUD. You can only check by holding back button.

- You can't see who is dead/on respawn by holding back button.

- Just to address the pistol. The weapon was perfectly balanced. It's minimum kill time was very quick. But the average kill time was more in line with what Halo players have come to expect. I've had so many pistol battles go an entire clip or more simply because each and every shot has to be adjusted for enemy momentum as well as your own. If you don't react perfectly to every enemy movement while also taking into account your own, you miss. It is also balanced out by the sandbox. OS and Camo every minute (sometimes 2 for camo) Rockets every two minutes. Snipers every 30 seconds. 4 frags and 4 plasmas per player. The Plasma Rifle as well as Shotty dominate it close range, and the AR as well sometimes.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I think a four shot weapon (with the same killtime) would be a little more competitive because two players team-shotting would need to hit both their shots to achieve the minimum killtime. Three shots has the same minimum killtime but allows one player to miss a shot.

Assault Rifle needed to be replaced with a less random, more skill based weapon that achieved the same ends.

Feet stop moving when you throw a grenade. Flag pickup/score radius is way too big. No in-game clock. Also, sometimes if you jump right as a grenade hits you and your momentum is dramatically increased, the pistol doesn't adjust and your shots come out at a 45 degree angle or more and it's impossible to land a shot. It's kind of hard to explain but when it happens to you, you'll know what I'm talking about.

There's plenty more. I'll play some tonight hopefully and think of a few more.

huh yea i have never heard of the grenade impacting your bullet direction one, but yea some of those other ones are obvious. 

CE was great back in the day, but it's hard not to notice the improvements when you go back and experience it again. 

My biggest issue with CE was that movement was slippery, whether in a vehicle or on foot. I would often lose a lot of health or fall to my death when making a jump because the momentum from running didn't cancel when I thought it would - at the base of the jump - as it has since in the latest titles. For example, the jump from Plat to Green on The Pit would be more difficult in CE because your momentum would carry you downward more.

Similarly, vehicles weren't particularly fun to handle. I didn't like that they took very long to decelerate, which was also a problem because of how easy it was to splatter people. Showing vehicle health on the HUD was cool though and they should have done that to all vehicles. While vehicle balance and health have been getting worse, controls and handling have gotten much better.

I think the game would play that much smoother if these were tightened up and made similar to Halo 2/3. Fall Damage could also be toned down slightly (not too much). Add some of the changes listed above and I think it would be near perfect. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think a four shot weapon (with the same killtime) would be a little more competitive because two players team-shotting would need to hit both their shots to achieve the minimum killtime. Three shots has the same minimum killtime but allows one player to miss a shot.

Yea i always wondered if a 4 shot kill pistol with the same fire rate and accuracy would be just as competitive or even better than the 3 shot 1. Mainly because maybe people wouldnt feel like they get erased off the map so quickly with that extra shot, but honestly the 3 shot was tricky to pull off so it kinda balances out.

What do the you all think?

Yea i always wondered if a 4 shot kill pistol with the same fire rate and accuracy would be just as competitive or even better than the 3 shot 1. Mainly because maybe people wouldnt feel like they get erased off the map so quickly with that extra shot, but honestly the 3 shot was tricky to pull off so it kinda balances out.

What do the you all think?

I specifically mentioned that the new 4 shot weapon would have the same killtime as the three shot one, lol. Clip size would have to be adjusted to 16, so you can still potentially kill four players without reloading. Quick kill times worked perfectly fine for 2v2's, if you were in a good position, you still had time to react.

huh yea i have never heard of the grenade impacting your bullet direction one, but yea some of those other ones are obvious. 

This is hard to explain but it happened to me again recently so I'm going to try. Edit: 180 glitch.

This is hard to explain but it happened to me again recently so I'm going to try. So I'm on Dere, and I just come out of one of the teleporters to top. I take a few steps forward (onto the bridge) and look down and to my right, where I spot an enemy. At this moment, I'm at about the halfway point on the bridge. As we begin fighting, I change directions (start strafing to my right) while I begin shooting him. Just as we get started fighting, a grenade explodes right next to me (on my left) right as I jump to my right (back towards teleporter). The explosion plus me jumping sends me through the air at an increased pace, and as I get my last few shots off before I die, I notice that while I'm aiming straight ahead and down, my bullets are actually landing on the right side of my screen something like 70 degrees of from where I am aiming.

Thats incredibly weird.

This is hard to explain but it happened to me again recently so I'm going to try. So I'm on Dere, and I just come out of one of the teleporters to top. I take a few steps forward (onto the bridge) and look down and to my right, where I spot an enemy. At this moment, I'm at about the halfway point on the bridge. As we begin fighting, I change directions (start strafing to my right) while I begin shooting him. Just as we get started fighting, a grenade explodes right next to me (on my left) right as I jump to my right (back towards teleporter). The explosion plus me jumping sends me through the air at an increased pace, and as I get my last few shots off before I die, I notice that while I'm aiming straight ahead and down, my bullets are actually landing on the right side of my screen something like 70 degrees of from where I am aiming.

I think that's more of a glitch, not really anything conceptually wrong with CE.

I specifically mentioned that the new 4 shot weapon would have the same killtime as the three shot one, lol. Clip size would have to be adjusted to 16, so you can still potentially kill four players without reloading. Quick kill times worked perfectly fine for 2v2's, if you were in a good position, you still had time to react.

hmm idk. i dont feel like making the gun a 4 shot but keeping it the exact same kill time would accomplish all that much in the grand scheme of things besides make you have to be slightly more accurate, maybe not even enough to make a huge difference. But then again i have never played with a weapon like that so i cant say how it would perform too much better or worse than the ce pistol

I wrote a long post on this over on MLG or THC somewhere, sigh. I guess I'll write it again. There are lots of things I would add from the sequels (Xs, timers, scoring, forge theater etc), but when it comes to actual problems with the game, here goes:

As Pistol mentioned 180 glitch when turning around or when you get naded is probably the most glaring problem, but I've heard arguments for it, surprisingly enough.

found an old post with google (posted in 06):

That's the 180 glitch. You can't jump and turn more than 90 degrees in midair and shoot. If you jump and do a 180 in the air, the bullets or rockets will shoot out 90 degrees (straight out the side) in whatever direction you turned from. The weird thing is, if youre jumping right as an enemy grenade goes off at your feet, the 180 glitch applies to your whole jump, even if you did not turn at all in the air. If you're bounced into the air by any grenade, that entire time in the air is 180 glitched, meaning all your shots will go to your right or left until you land. This is the most common WTF glitch in Halo 1, but if you play enough you can actually get used to it, and know when you can't shoot- and turn around before you jump if you need to 180, or just nade instead of shooting. Personally I would get rid of it if I was making a Halo 3, but I've had discussions with people who think it adds further balance to the game, rewarding a good grenade and balancing the rocket.

Getting crouch-locked when nading.

Infinite ammo glitch.

Personally I like the movement, you have to lead your jumps a little and I think it takes a bit more planning to move nimbly. Fall damage is good too; I've talked about that too much in the past.

People tend to assume, due to not playing enough competitive h1 vs strafing opponents, that three shot kills in high level games are not super common like 4sks are in Halo 2/3/4. Making the pistol a four shot changes everything about the game and makes every else more powerful. You don't want the H1 rocket, snipe, shotgun or PR more powerful. You have to modify the sandbox greatly if you screw with the pistol. Overall it's probably not going to be a good idea but I'd play it to test. Maybe for 4v4s only.

You should probably be able to choose opening spawns, but I'd need a short essay to explain why I think random openers is actually better for gameplay (the only RNG that I think is ever acceptable in a halo game).

I will write a lot more tomorrow, but I have to get some sleep.

• Upvote (+1) 7

For me the big obvious negatives is the slippery movement at times and the jumping, both of those dragged down the overall feel of Halo CE in some ways but CT also touched on how some others enjoyed the feel of Jumping and I respect the reasoning CT gave for it. I would have also preferred it if the Pistol was a 4sk, something that our current Halo game, Halo 4, should of implemented forever ago is a 4SK, Zero Bloom, Low Aim-Assist, Low Magnetism, Pistol, or atleast a Pistol close to the potential of Halo CE's.

Halo CE overall however is a amazing game with very few flaws, there are some new elements added since Halo CE that would only improve upon the experience it presented, such as those mentioned by ThreeShotPistol.

As Pistol mentioned 180 glitch when turning around or when you get naded is probably the most glaring problem, but I've heard arguments for it, surprisingly enough.

I knew it. I never really cared enough to look it up but I knew there was some shenanigans going on in the coding.

I wrote a long post on this over on MLG or THC somewhere, sigh. I guess I'll write it again. There are lots of things I would add from the sequels (Xs, timers, scoring, forge theater etc), but when it comes to actual problems with the game, here goes:

found an old post with google (posted in 06):

Getting crouch-locked when nading.

Infinite ammo glitch.

Personally I like the movement, you have to lead your jumps a little and I think it takes a bit more planning to move nimbly. Fall damage is good too; I've talked about that too much in the past.

People tend to assume, due to not playing enough competitive h1 vs strafing opponents, that three shot kills in high level games are not super common like 4sks are in Halo 2/3/4. Making the pistol a four shot changes everything about the game and makes every else more powerful. You don't want the H1 rocket, snipe, shotgun or PR more powerful. You have to modify the sandbox greatly if you screw with the pistol. Overall it's probably not going to be a good idea but I'd play it to test. Maybe for 4v4s only.

You should probably be able to choose opening spawns, but I'd need a short essay to explain why I think random openers is actually better for gameplay (the only RNG that I think is ever acceptable in a halo game).

I will write a lot more tomorrow, but I have to get some sleep.

Looking forward to it

For me the big obvious negatives is the slippery movement at times and the jumping, both of those dragged down the overall feel of Halo CE in some ways but CT also touched on how some others enjoyed the feel of Jumping and I respect the reasoning CT gave for it. I would have also preferred it if the Pistol was a 4sk, something that our current Halo game, Halo 4, should of implemented forever ago is a 4SK, Zero Bloom, Low Aim-Assist, Low Magnetism, Pistol, or atleast a Pistol close to the potential of Halo CE's.

Halo CE overall however is a amazing game with very few flaws, there are some new elements added since Halo CE that would only improve upon the experience it presented, such as those mentioned by ThreeShotPistol.

Yea i am curious about a 4 shot pistol as well, as it would fit in familiarity wise with how the BR is a 4 shot now and has been since H2. That is if something like the CE pistol was implemented in the next Halo. Ill wait and see if CT goes over why he is against it over the 3sk tomorrow, as that would be interesting to see why.

i think the 4sk pistol would nerf the pistol pretty badly.  Getting 3sks is hard enough in high level plays and making it a 4sk would just make the rest of the weapons sandbox even stronger, the balance is already on point for H1 for the most part i dont see the need to change it

I got used to the jumping so I cant even comment on changing it.  I didn't find it a huge negative or anything but I've been playing for like 12 years so that's a bit different.  Also I found the jumping cool since you could actually do a circle jump, though its not a huge circle either

180 glitch was lame

Edit: seems like cT posted before me :(

I can understand that. Perhaps I just never get the hang of it. It still bothers me going back to playing CEA's Campaign. 

I like Fall Damage (and by extension, healthpacks) for one reason and one reason only:

Halo_Combat_Evolved-Danger_Canyon.jpg

These bridges are amazing. 

EDIT: I lied. Healthpacks on the ground are sexy

Prisoner.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

funny how 90% of the complaints here are technical difficulties lol. You wouldn't be seeing this for other Halo games at all

I experienced the 180 glitch earlier today when playing split screen lol

While I was getting shot in the back I jumped and turned to shoot a rocket which went in the wrong direction. :p

I experienced the 180 glitch earlier today when playing split screen lol

While I was getting shot in the back I jumped and turned to shoot a rocket which went in the wrong direction. :P

I was playing 2s on XBC and had a double kill perfectly lined up on CO. Jumped above them, turned around and shot. Rocket disappears off to the right. They kill me and take rockets. Smfh.

funny how 90% of the complaints here are technical difficulties lol. You wouldn't be seeing this for other Halo games at all

The following games are often held to CE's standard. While it had its own problems, it's the reason why we have Halo in the first place. It'll be difficult to be taken seriously if one were to say the first game wasn't Halo...

I disagree about the jumping part. I would much rather have responsive jumping in halo c.e. as opposed to lagged jumping.

Same, I have always wanted to see the Pistol return as a beast of a weapon, I really hate how things have changed with the Pistol over the years.. and how its been seemingly down graded ever since Halo 2. Halo CE and Halo Reach Pistols are clearly the best we have seen, as Halo 4's is a spammy Bloom infested weapon with a terrible Rate of Fire, and Magnetism.

I am not sure why Pistol weapons have been treated so poorly in Halo 4 as a whole honestly, all of them are the worst incarnations we have seen yet of Pistol weapons, the Boltshot included.

• Upvote (+1) 1