Sign in to follow this  
WarLord

10000 hour rule in Halo and competitive gaming

A  discussion point i would really like some opinion on.

does the 10000 hour rule apply for halo? (if you put 10000 hours into something you will master it, be at your personal best and your mussle memory will be at its best)

will 10000 hours be enough across any games be enough to make you top player at that game how much game time do players like ninja formal and other pros have? maybe thats why most top pros are so good because they have played halo 2 3 reach and 4 for roughly 10000 hours?

some videos about the 10000 hour rule to give you a better understanding of it.(highly recommend 2nd video)

That sounds like a load of crap to be honest. I mean, I've met so many players on Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4 that have insane amounts of days played, like 48 or something and the first thing that happens is that they run forward, get mowed down by the other team, and repeat ad nauseum until I get mad enough to smash my TV in half. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's just a matter of being a smart individual who can think and solve problems logically. Halo is a very logical game...this is going to sound harsh but if you are a dumb person then you will not be good at a logical game like Halo (no matter how many hours you've played).

Maintaining a good shot is what really takes practice because it is the only physical part of the game, but it's not as important as being a smart player, after a while though you will have a good shot if you are dedicated to the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think it's just a matter of being a smart individual who can think and solve problems logically. Halo is a very logical game...this is going to sound harsh but if you are a dumb person then you will not be good at a logical game like Halo (no matter how many hours you've played).

Maintaining a good shot is what really takes practice because it is the only physical part of the game, the rest is just mental and relies on how smart the person behind the controller is. But it's not as important as being a smart player, after a while though you will have a good shot if you are dedicated to the game.

It's the same thing with most sports. Take hockey, you could be the fastest person on the ice, but if you don't know where to skate, you're going to look like an idiot. Another good example is football. You can throw the ball the entire length of the football field, but unless you know how to read coverage or pick up a blitz, you're going to get trounced. 

Smarts play a huge roll in all sports. Good mechanics can only get you so far.

It's the same thing with most sports. Take hockey, you could be the fastest person on the ice, but if you don't know where to skate, you're going to look like an idiot. Another good example is football. You can throw the ball the entire length of the football field, but unless you know how to read coverage or pick up a blitz, you're going to get trounced. 

Smarts play a huge roll in all sports. Good mechanics can only get you so far.

but surely putting ridiculous time into a game your going to learn the smarts more and more i only know the odd few people who put stupid hours into game and suck because they are not tring to improve in right areas everyone knows what you have to work on in halo

spawns staying alive awareness of other team what to do depending on where they are angles pushing 2s of your spawn push with os get height for os stay allive in there base make sure your watching gold if ur teams p etc etc there are loads of things but unless your an idiot or investing your time poorly you will learn these things aslong your playlng to improve playing with best players you can investing your time well ( watch pov play 8s and scrims not mm )

all im saying is. is  10000 hours the usual ammount it takes top players to be top @ any game and if your smart (or just common sense :P ) is 10000 hours roughly the right ammount of time it takes to be at the top in halo or every game?

but surely putting ridiculous time into a game your going to learn the smarts more and more i only know the odd few people who put stupid hours into game and suck because they are not tring to improve in right areas everyone knows what you have to work on in halo

That only works if you want to be better. If you just play to beat up on the general XBL population, then you're not going to get good. As contradictory as it sounds, you're far more likely to get better when you lose than when you win. Losing forces you to analyze what you did incorrectly and what decisions could have been made that would have prevented such a loss. Playing 10,000 hours is not only a huge waste of time, but completely pointless if you don't learn from what you did correctly. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you can put the time in anyone can master it. Everybody is different so there is really no base line that is measurable to an extent to prove that you can master it. You just have to be knowledgable about the game.

As far as hands on play, sure. But there are so many more factors to the game besides core mechanics. May it be the way one tosses nades or how somebody moves around the map. So many things can happen in Halo and that's what makes it great. There is always something to better yourself at. 

I'd say that's about right, if you're spending your time actively trying to improve yourself 10,000 hours should be more than enough to exhaust your abilities / potential. Mastery doesn't necessarily mean you'll be at the top of whatever discipline you're undertaking it just means you're able to focus a number of honed skills at a problem you have a comprehensive knowledge of. The 'mental game' of Halo is as applicable and open to being worked on as any other 'physical' part of the game (aiming, movement e.t.c.) - a lot of creativity in play stems from an in depth familiarity with a particular scenario.

Let's all do math everybody!

Let's assume you've been playing since CE's release date (so about 12 years now). There are about 8765 hours in a year. So over 12 years that's 105180 hours. So what percent of 105180 is 10000? About 9.5%. So you gotta spend 9.5% of your time playing Halo. How many hours is 9.5% of your day? Oh only 2.28 hours.

You have to be playing 2 hours and 17 minutes every single day since Halo CE's launch to have played 10,000 hours. I have no doubt you'll master the game with that much time played, but you have to be really committed. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's just a matter of being a smart individual who can think and solve problems logically. Halo is a very logical game...this is going to sound harsh but if you are a dumb person then you will not be good at a logical game like Halo (no matter how many hours you've played).

Maintaining a good shot is what really takes practice because it is the only physical part of the game, but it's not as important as being a smart player, after a while though you will have a good shot if you are dedicated to the game.

What sucks is the number of options that smart players who can't aim have in Halo 4.

Smart players who cannot aim end up being the camo/boltshot kids. They can go positive without shooting a single headshot in certain gametypes. It's crazy and a bit sad.

Let's all do math everybody!

Let's assume you've been playing since CE's release date (so about 12 years now). There are about 8765 hours in a year. So over 12 years that's 105180 hours. So what percent of 105180 is 10000? About 9.5%. So you gotta spend 9.5% of your time playing Halo. How many hours is 9.5% of your day? Oh only 2.28 hours.

You have to be playing 2 hours and 17 minutes every single day since Halo CE's launch to have played 10,000 hours. I have no doubt you'll master the game with that much time played, but you have to be really committed. 

Yeah thats nothing to be honest. Sometimes you don't even have to play during the week. I can easily cram in an allnighter (roughly 9 hours of play time) most weekends. I've become an adept player, not a master. But I can easily say I'm nowhere near 10 000 hours. 

I have played easily more than that before Halo Reach even came out, and yet Ryanoob and Totz were both better than me despite never having played Halo 1 or Halo 2.

The 10,000 hour rule is honestly bullshit to be completely honest with you. 

The more time you put into something, the better you will get so long as you don't have something happen to stop it (like an injury or getting old)

Eventually you will hit a point where it takes much longer to make any visual improvement than ever before and it looks like you have hit your peak. 

Someone decided to slap the number 10,000 on this point because it is a nice round number. However, it isn't like you are mediocre at something at the 9,987 hour point, but then 13 hours later you are a pro. 

Some people's peak is lower than others. Some people's half way point is higher than your peak. For example, a pro's peak is much higher than a normal person's peak so even if you are at your peak, and the pro isn't, the pro can still be 3X better than you. It is like a short person trying to be a pro basketball player. It is possible yes, but you have to be the exception. A short person simply has a lower peak than a tall person on average. 

If it wasn't like this, than a person with no legs would be able to be a master at running if they tried running for 10,000 hours, and could compete in the Olympics.

The whole notion is bullshit. You will never be a genius at something if you were not gifted with a natural skill at it. Likewise, if the genius does not exercise their talent, then they will never be the best. In order to be amazing, you have to be both a genius and a hard worker. 

No matter how many hours you poor into something, you will never be as good as someone who has that talent and isn't lazy. 

Yeah thats nothing to be honest. Sometimes you don't even have to play during the week. I can easily cram in an allnighter (roughly 9 hours of play time) most weekends. I've become an adept player, not a master. But I can easily say I'm nowhere near 10 000 hours. 

That's cool and all but to match 10,000 hours you'd have to play 16 hours. It's feasible, just not probable.

I have played easily more than that before Halo Reach even came out, and yet Ryanoob and Totz were both better than me despite never having played Halo 1 or Halo 2.

The 10,000 hour rule is honestly bullshit to be completely honest with you. 

The more time you put into something, the better you will get so long as you don't have something happen to stop it (like an injury or getting old)

Eventually you will hit a point where it takes much longer to make any visual improvement than ever before and it looks like you have hit your peak. 

Someone decided to slap the number 10,000 on this point because it is a nice round number. However, it isn't like you are mediocre at something at the 9,987 hour point, but then 13 hours later you are a pro. 

Some people's peak is lower than others. Some people's half way point is higher than your peak. For example, a pro's peak is much higher than a normal person's peak so even if you are at your peak, and the pro isn't, the pro can still be 3X better than you. It is like a short person trying to be a pro basketball player. It is possible yes, but you have to be the exception. A short person simply has a lower peak than a tall person on average. 

If it wasn't like this, than a person with no legs would be able to be a master at running if they tried running for 10,000 hours, and could compete in the Olympics.

The whole notion is bullshit. You will never be a genius at something if you were not gifted with a natural skill at it. Likewise, if the genius does not exercise their talent, then they will never be the best. In order to be amazing, you have to be both a genius and a hard worker. 

No matter how many hours you poor into something, you will never be as good as someone who has that talent and isn't lazy. 

Welp, unless you have a second account I doubt you've exceeded 10,000 hours. Between Halo 3, Reach, and 4 you haven't even played 10,000 games (I stalked you for a bit hope you don't mind :maven:). Assuming each game is 15 minutes long (which they're most definitely not) you'd have to be hiding 30,000 more games between Halo CE and 2 or on a second profile. 10,000 hours is a big number. 

I agree with everything else you said though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's cool and all but to match 10,000 hours you'd have to play 16 hours. It's feasible, just not probable.

Welp, unless you have a second account I doubt you've exceeded 10,000 hours. Between Halo 3, Reach, and 4 you haven't even played 10,000 games (I stalked you for a bit hope you don't mind :maven:). Assuming each game is 15 minutes long (which they're most definitely not) you'd have to be hiding 30,000 more games between Halo CE and 2 or on a second profile. 10,000 hours is a big number. 

I agree with everything else you said though.

My current account was made in 2009, and I played more Halo 2 than I did Halo 3. Easily twice as much. So you do the math there.

I guess you are right that I haven't hit 10,000 hours, but I have played a lot more than people who are better than me which is the main point I was making anyway.

Yes.

If you play 10,000 hours you will probably have played more halo than anyone else and I don't care how dumb you are you probably will have figured out all the nooks and crannies by that point anyway just from sheer practice time.  10,000 hours is a ridiculous amount of time.

In other words, you need much less than 10,000 hours to be a pro.- and a willingness to learn/constantly improve.

When I say much less than 10,000 hours, I mean that many pros have spent less than 5000.

Don't get old. Got it.  :maven:

No. Mechanically wise you might be the best you'll get but as far as the mental side of things you will never have improved by just playing the game. Pro's practice very specifically.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is if your not trying to improve but just playing to play then no the rule doesn't apply.