Sign in to follow this  
MaceX42

Is Extraction a better than King of the Hill?

King of the Hill or Extraction?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Is Extraction a better gametype than King of the Hill?

This may be controversial, but in my mind Extraction is a better game type than King of the Hill when it comes to competitive play. As a fan and as a player it is more entertaining for both. Nothing in King of the Hill compares to a last second Ninja-convert on C-base on Haven. The game type requires team work for  every objective and map control is vital for not only the current objective but also the next. I also like that you can wait for your team to regroup for a push without having to risk losing points. 

What do you guys think? 

Please try to leave nostalgia out of it. 

In Halo 4 Extraction is obviously better because of the broken KOTH settings. I don't really play Halo 4 so it's hard for me to comment on this but i think if an Extraction game type was in Halo 2/3 then it would be equally as good as KOTH.

They both have similar play-styles (holding down the designated target) but i think if you were to compare differences in the two. I think KOTH is just a little bit better because it requires more consistent objective gameplay/more players to keep the target secure and gain points. Rather then arming something like an extraction for 5 seconds and just slaying for the rest of the time. Extraction can also have randomness like CTF with a sneaky flag, Extraction can have a sneaky arm (Obviously the less randomness the better). 

It's a shame we don't have a better variety of KOTH maps, i really love Splash (Forge Map) in Halo: Reach for KOTH, we need more maps like that which are only dedicated to KOTH like Onslaught was to CTF.

1 plot extraction is essentially KoTH. There should be a 2 plot EXT and KoTH being played. There's nothing wrong with KoTH. That glitch could add depth to the game type, play it anyways. I never really enjoyed 1 plot as much as 2 plot so again put KoTH, take 1 plot out and put 2 plot in.

This may be controversial, but in my mind Extraction is a better game type than King of the Hill when it comes to competitive play. As a fan and as a player it is more entertaining for both. Nothing in King of the Hill compares to a last second Ninja-convert on C-base on Haven. The game type requires team work for  every objective and map control is vital for not only the current objective but also the next. I also like that you can wait for your team to regroup for a push without having to risk losing points. 

What do you guys think? 

Please try to leave nostalgia out of it.

Nothing compares? Have you ever played KoTH before? There's always these insane comebacks in KoTH where it comes down to seconds. It happened a lot on Construct.

KoTH > 1 plot.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1 plot extraction is essentially KoTH. There should be a 2 plot EXT and KoTH being played. There's nothing wrong with KoTH. That glitch could add depth to the game type, play it anyways. I never really enjoyed 1 plot as much as 2 plot so again put KoTH, take 1 plot out and put 2 plot in.

Nothing compares? Have you ever played KoTH before? There's always these insane comebacks in KoTH where it comes down to seconds. It happened a lot on Construct.

KoTH > 1 plot.

Obviously I've played KotH. But you see the same amount of last minute Extract/converts in Extraction, and you have the potential of and exciting last second extract on every Site, as opposed to just at the end of the game.. And I agree, Contruct Hill is still one of the best Halo game types to me. 

King of the Hill has been trash since Halo 3, Extraction was one of the new additions in Halo 4 that was actually good.

King of the Hill has been trash since Halo 3, Extraction was one of the new additions in Halo 4 that was actually good.

How is it trash? Everyone is saying its a good game type and you're the one guy who says it sucks and you don't even elaborate.

• Upvote (+1) 2

KoTH > 1 plot.

First off, 1-plot extraction is distinctly different than king of the hill in that 

1.  It once you arm/convert a point you gain points no matter how far away you are from it.

2. Even if you are standing on the extraction point you will not gain points unless you stop moving in order to convert it.

Secondly, the glitch in koth in halo 4 *does no add more depth* because the glitch is *random*.  It works sometimes, whereas other times it does not.

It is not a consistent glitch.

I enjoy Extraction more. The other day, my team came back from a 3 point loss after I secured a last second convert on the game winning site. 

King of the Hill to me has always been "everybody on the map throw grenades in the hill at the same time". It's fun to get 40+ kills in Multi-Team though. 

I never really liked KoTH until I played Hardpoint in Blops 2. Now I gotta say that I respect and enjoy KoTH a lot more, both than what I did before and extraction.

Never been the biggest fan of 1-Plot extraction, as I just haven't liked how it has played out, I was one of the few who preferred 2-Plot over 1-Plot.

Extraction is a bit more organized than Hill. You also don't have to sacrifice a player in order to gain points.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I put both, as I believe they are both great gametypes and are different enough from eachother to coexist in competitive settings. 

I'd like to see KOTH back in the rotation, but in Halo 4 it is broken. It has an almost random factor and everyone always complains about randomness. In traditional KOTH you always know that you have so much time available to you in order to make a comeback or secure a win. In Halo 4 the glitch makes it so that you can't always predict the situation. There are a few other inconsistencies that the glitch provides as well.

I think all of us would have different opinions on the matter. But I enjoy Extraction so much more than KoTH.

I found myself being more strategical in Extraction games rather than KoTH games. Not to mention that Extraction can have so many clutch moments like those last-minute converts.

I also hate it when a player has to be sacrificed to hold the hill.

How is it trash? Everyone is saying its a good game type and you're the one guy who says it sucks and you don't even elaborate.

In Halo 1 and 2, King was fun, because gameplay was simple, and getting to the hill was exciting and you got adrenaline rushes.

Halo 3 onwards, with the introduction of the crappy gameplay mechanics, when you get inside the hill, you get spammed with power drains, in Halo: Reach, Jetpacks disrupt the flow of the map, negating any knowledge of the map you had, and Halo 4, you get pinged  with the DMR from across the map on complex.

That good enough for you?  :lxthul:

I prefer KotH over 1-site Extraction, but enjoy multi-site Extraction more than KotH on certain maps.

They're both good gametypes, I just don't understand why everyone likes having just 1-site so much when KotH arguably offers a deeper gameplay experience of controlling a single area. 

In my opinion, Extraction is definitely better than KotH, but both are great objective gametypes.

I miss Stockpile though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Extraction is a bit more organized than Hill. You also don't have to sacrifice a player in order to gain points.

I strongly disagree.

For one, the player in the hill can still move in shoot, whereas in 1-Plot Extraction, a player has to sit still and put their gun away for a given amount of time. Then all 4 players have to ensure control over that area for another given amount of time for 1 point out of 5. I think extraction promotes too much of a luck factor when it comes to converting just in time / not in time, and also getting a disadvantage with distant spawning. Just my opinion.

The only advantage I like for Extraction is the amount of extraction points you can place and the more flexible locations. But I see competitive KotH as a much better structured gametype than extraction honestly:

• Time-based gametype - no need for trying to find the perfect balance between extracting/converting and holding the objective. Also, players don't have to "sacrifice" themselves for a given amount of time. They can flee after 7 seconds or so and still have points towards winning. Also doesn't punish bad spawns as drastically.
  • Objective player can still defend himself as opposed to extraction. You aren't glued to the floor with your gun down. You can still dodge grenades and fire your gun at enemies. Though I'll admit, I usually don't like the central hills I see on maps like construct, as they are mostly about scrapping time. One reason KotH is better on Asyms.

It's just me maybe, but I think non-broken KotH is more consistent and more strategic than 1-Plot extraction.

I just miss 3-plot territories.

• Upvote (+1) 4

But the same can be said when you extract the target?

Nonetheless I enjoy both, although I have a bad taste in my mouth about Extraction because of past maps used for it, some just didn't work for it.

• Upvote (+1) 2