Solarity

H5 - Next Gen and the Evolution of Visuals.

Purely VISUALLY speaking, I think that Halo has gotten more and more cartoony over the years since H3. I think capturing a huge CoD fanbase for 343 is possible not through changing the mechanics of the game to adopt CoD like features, but in ramping up the realism factor. 

CoD and BF draw people in because of the realism of having actual soldiers for people to identify with, so why not Halo? Why not make it more realistic while still playing to the fantasy aspect of the game. Increase the blood and gore, not to the level of Gears of War, but make it FEEL like we are inflicting serious damage when we are straight up raping the other team. Chunks of armour falling off, blood seeping from inbetween the cracks in your armour leaving a blood trail as you navigate the map, and bullets cracking your visor would all play into  how much of a badass you are left feeling like, without sacrificing crucial gameplay mechanics. Wouldn't it be cool if a grenade landed next to you and instead of just dropping your shields, it blew tiny segments off a wall next you? Destrucible environments and maps that can play TOTALLY different based on what areas have been destroyed and what areas are still intact adds to strategy in real time. Maybe even have real time weather? A boy can dream. Thoughts, ideas on how Halo can evolve VISUALLY?

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I completely disagree.  The opposite is the case.

Halo 3 had an art style that looked like a fantasy sci-fi.  It looked amazing.

Starting with halo reach the art style became more realistic with drab grey and brown coloring everywhere and even the spartan models had wear and tear and peeled paint on them.  That made it look more like CoD.  The maps had more random clutter starting with reach- which once again makes it look more "realistic", but in my opinion even worse.

I would prefer the halo 3 art style where for the most part random clutter was avoided from the playing area and it was more simple to look at on the eyes.  Also the spartans don't look like they have a million bumps growing off of them at weird angles.

Simpler is better when it comes to art style in halo. 

Your ideas would push halo more towards the realism spectrum that games like battlefield and cod have, and away from the sci-fi style of halo 3.

I want to be wowed by the visuals- not look like I'm walking around in an abandoned warehouse whose walls are crumbling from the rust.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think all of your ideas are pretty cool for campaign. But for multiplayer I would leave out blood trails and cracks in the visor. Also, non-destructible environments are important in Halo because they allow you to fully explore the map for every possible nade-trick and angle. For example, imagine there is a map where you stand in a certain spot, look at another exact spot and you throw a grenade. This particular angle will always make the nade land perfectly next to a power position or power weapon, and do damage to a person at that position. Or in the case of a weapon, that nade will blast the rockets down to a certain predictable position.

Now, let's say we have destructible environments, and at some point in the match that nade point received a rocket blast and it's geometry changed. Now, when someone goes to throw that nade, the nade bounces unpredictably and the nade point is no longer useful. I think there are games like Battlefield (which I like) that do well with certain realistic features. Halo on the other hand does well set in it's future based plotline.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Starting with halo reach the art style became more realistic with drab grey and brown coloring everywhere and even the spartan models had wear and tear and peeled paint on them.  That made it look more like CoD.  The maps had more random clutter starting with reach- which once again makes it look more "realistic", but in my opinion even worse.

I would prefer the halo 3 art style where for the most part random clutter was avoided from the playing area and it was more simple to look at on the eyes.  Also the spartans don't look like they have a million bumps growing off of them at weird angles.

Your ideas would push halo more towards the realism spectrum that games like battlefield and cod have, and away from the sci-fi style of halo 3.

my man

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well I'm saying Halo 3 was more realistic to me as well. Reach's "realism" factor was poorly executed and looked less realistic to me.

I think all of your ideas are pretty cool for campaign. But for multiplayer I would leave out blood trails and cracks in the visor. Also, non-destructible environments are important in Halo because they allow you to fully explore the map for every possible nade-trick and angle. For example, imagine there is a map where you stand in a certain spot, look at another exact spot and you throw a grenade. This particular angle will always make the nade land perfectly next to a power position or power weapon, and do damage to a person at that position. Or in the case of a weapon, that nade will blast the rockets down to a certain predictable position.

Now, let's say we have destructible environments, and at some point in the match that nade point received a rocket blast and it's geometry changed. Now, when someone goes to throw that nade, the nade bounces unpredictably and the nade point is no longer useful. I think there are games like Battlefield (which I like) that do well with certain realistic features. Halo on the other hand does well set in it's future based plotline.

While I respect your opinion because of the competitive merit, I have to disagree. I mean if the physics engine is predictable, and you are a skilled player it makes nade placement even more impressive if you compensate for the changes in the geometry by damage. It could add a whole new layer of competitive skill.

How about a compromise; keep the overall art-style and textures very sci-fi (but not cartoony) while making realistic things actually look realistic (grass, soil, rock, dirt).

• Upvote (+1) 2

Uncontrollable randomness is the enemy of skill. If a wall in Halo is deformed, then any interaction with that wall/map piece will become random when it comes to things like grenades bouncing off of it. Like I said, all of your ideas would be very cool for making Halo's campaign more visually impressive. As well as making the experience more visceral. Multiplayer in Halo I don't think would do well to undergo changes such as these.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How about a compromise; keep the overall art-style and textures very sci-fi (but not cartoony) while making realistic things actually look realistic (grass, soil, rock, dirt).

Ahh this is essentially what I wanted to say in like one sentence. Fuck I suck at explaining lol.

As far as textures go.. try bouncing a grenade in Halo 3 on guardian. 

Yes. We need smooth, flat surfaces. Remember in the top purple lifts on construct how the walls had these weird geometry patterns that would sometimes make your grenade not bounce but just hit the wall and fall? Yeah, that's what we're trying to avoid in multiplayer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Smooth, flat surfaces. Remember in the top purple lifts on construct how the walls had these weird geometry patterns that would sometimes make your grenade not bounce but just hit the wall and fall? Yeah, that's what we're trying to avoid in multiplayer.

exactly.  Guardian had great nade-bounce surfaces.

You all are thinking of that one bounce from S1 to S2- I know you are.

Well, top mid had protruding pieces that made bouncing nades random at times. God I hated that.

No actually that's the opposite point I was making. Try bouncing a grenade on top middle, the grenade stops in various places just because of the texture. We're lucky that they didn't add a similar texture on that little bump for the S1 to S2 jump.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I personally didn't notice the nade bounces at top mid on guardian because most of the time if someone was top mid I would shoot at them with my team instead of trying to nade them.  I use nades more for around corridors and such- not in wide open areas where people are easy to teamshoot.

That was a very well written and thought out post, and I agree with what you said about destructible environments. However you seemed to gloss over the "blood trails and cracks in the visor" thing. I believe those would be awesome additions to Halo's sandbox and could have no real negative effects on actual game play.

Have to ever played Star Wars Republic Commando? That game was very similar to the older Halos and they had a really cool, and small feature where you visor would auto heal/clean it self while your shields were recharging.  I think something like this would work well in Halo and add to the immersion that time has progressed and the Mjolnir armor is more advanced then it was in Halo CE. Imagine when you are shot by a sniper in the visor, instead of only your screen going red it also cracked like the end of Halo Reach's campaign but once you shield starts recharging your visor is healed to normal. It sounds really cool to me. 

That was a very well written and thought out post, and I agree with what you said about destructible environments. However you seemed to gloss over the "blood trails and cracks in the visor" thing. I believe those would be awesome additions to Halo's sandbox and could have no real negative effects on actual game play.

Have to ever played Star Wars Republic Commando? That game was very similar to the older Halos and they had a really cool, and small feature where you visor would auto heal/clean it self while your shields were recharging.  I think something like this would work well in Halo and add to the immersion that time has progressed and the Mjolnir armor is more advanced then it was in Halo CE. Imagine when you are shot by a sniper in the visor, instead of only your screen going red it also cracked like the end of Halo Reach's campaign but once you shield starts recharging your visor is healed to normal. It sounds really cool to me. 

Yea thats cool, but it could also impact the way people see and influence peoples accuracy, which would be bad. In my opinion it would be cool to gain battle damage over time that every1 could see on you, like cracked visor or burnt armor but didnt affect your vision or performance

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please don't reply to this, i'm just posting this as an advertisement.

Off Topic:

This is just a Re-Post from Drewski on another thread talking about No-Sprint. I think everyone needs to hear this and see it. I have been seeing too many people talking about "how to make Sprint work" and it's making us as a community look weak, if people keep talking about "how to make it work" then we will never get No-Sprint. We want No-Sprint so keep fighting for it until Halo 5!

"The Anti sprint and descope argument will become irrelevant if and only if sprint and descope are removed from the core of halo gameplay. Until then i think we should keep discussing and spreading the word on the major negatives of sprint and descope to educate the general public of halo and to continue to let 343 know it is something we are very serious about."

• Upvote (+1) 3

The more realistic the graphic, the more they age and are boring to look at. I seriously do not understand why people like realism in gaming. Is the point not to go into a world that does not exist? 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Personally I love the cartoony look. I know some people have complained about the "crayola" Spartans in Halo 4 but I think it looks great. I feel like that is how the game should look from now on. 

It's funny because if anything it's the spartans in halo 3 that are cartoony and the ones in halo reach / halo 4 have attempted realism.

And halo 3 is superior.

And can we all just hold hands and say no to destructable environments in halo?  This is not fucking battlefield.  Making the maps and structures destroyable would fundamentally alter how the game plays (for the worst imo).  Halo is about consistancy and knowing the maps well.  Not being able to break through walls.

Not to mention 4v4 halo maps are *waaaay* to small for destructable environments.  Do you know how much bigger battlefield maps are?  Imagine if narrows was destructable... it would be just terrible.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I guess im the only one who thinks destructible environments would be good in halo. Like it doesnt have to be a fucking huge building like in battlefield, just small changes like a tree falling and blocking a path or a break in a light bridge or something. 

I think Halo 4 did it right minus the red & blue Spartans and the glares that some maps have like Wreckage

I guess im the only one who thinks destructible environments would be good in halo.

I just want to understand how you think this is a good idea...Just...How...I'm serious.

• Upvote (+1) 2