Sign in to follow this  
ABR Halo Master

AA/Sprint Idea For Halo 5

We all know 343 is not completely getting rid of AAs and Sprint, so we should find the right way to handle both in the game. Instead of having Sprint as a default and then a bunch of AAs, they should completely get rid of sprint but they can keep AAs in the game. The new AAs would only be movement based ones, as a replacement for sprint. These AAs would be a ONE roll Evade, and a Thruster Pack that only works while OFF THE GROUND. This is a good way to have both TP and Evade because one is used on the ground as a 1st person ability, and one is used in the air as a 3rd person ability. These AAs are more interesting/gameplay-enhancing than sprint and are TOGGLE-ABLE, unlike a default Sprint mechanic. Discuss.

-How nerfed can the jetpack get when stemming from Halo 4's? Honestly, I would rather have jetpack removed entirely because I think you can't nerf it without butchering it. Also, what I'm about to say for the Thruster pack makes me want this gone too.

-I can tolerate AA's more if they all are either movement-based or not movement based, which they both have their ups and downs. But one thing I can assume so far is that the thruster pack you propose won't be useful at all unless it shoots you in the direction your player is moving (a short distance on foot and a longer distance after jumping). It could be used for taking unique routes faster than the jetpack.

-Agreed on Evade

-As for replacing sprint, I think there should be an AA that simply makes you move faster (maybe 25-50% Faster). Basically like the speed boost powerup, but slower since this comes as an AA (pickups or loadouts btw?). The main difference between this and sprint is that you still get to use your weapon. The main drawback that I suggest would be making the player more susceptible to damage (such as having 75% damage resistence).

My input currently. May add stuff later

Why not just get rid of them for Throwdown, we shouldn't have to bow down to 343 just because they are the developers, unless they give us the better option that is no sprint i see no reason to try to make it work with sprint. This game fucking sucks... trying to make it work with the garbage that they give us is not gonna make the game any better, as long as this stuff that breaks the game is still in the game it will never get better. We have to make it known that NOBODY WANTS SPRINT/AA, SPRINT/AA IS POO POO.

343 STOP TRYING TO MAKE US WORK WITH YOUR GARBAGE ASS GAME, THERE IS A BETTER OPTION SO USE IT INSTEAD OF BEING SELFISH. 

NS

-How nerfed can the jetpack get when stemming from Halo 4's? Honestly, I would rather have jetpack removed entirely because I think you can't nerf it without butchering it. Also, what I'm about to say for the Thruster pack makes me want this gone too.

-I can tolerate AA's more if they all are either movement-based or not movement based, which they both have their ups and downs. But one thing I can assume so far is that the thruster pack you propose won't be useful at all unless it shoots you in the direction your player is moving (a short distance on foot and a longer distance after jumping). It could be used for taking unique routes faster than the jetpack.

-Agreed on Evade

-As for replacing sprint, I think there should be an AA that simply makes you move faster (maybe 25-50% Faster). Basically like the speed boost powerup, but slower since this comes as an AA (pickups or loadouts btw?). The main difference between this and sprint is that you still get to use your weapon. The main drawback that I suggest would be making the player more susceptible to damage (such as having 75% damage resistence).

My input currently. May add stuff later

Edited, I got rid of the Jetpack.

Why not just get rid of them for Throwdown, we shouldn't have to bow down to 343 just because they are the developers, unless they give us the better option that is no sprint i see no reason to try to make it work with sprint. This game fucking sucks... trying to make it work with the garbage that they give us is not gonna make the game any better. We have to make it known that NOBODY WANTS SPRINT/AA, SPRINT/AA IS POO POO.

343 STOP TRYING TO MAKE US WORK WITH YOUR GARBAGE ASS GAME, THERE IS A BETTER OPTION SO USE IT INSTEAD OF BEING SELFISH. 

I was saying those ideas for social playlists.

We all know 343 is not completely getting rid of AAs and Sprint

Source?

I know that it seems like they want to carry on with their "vision" of this modernised class based Halo, but after seeing the numbers for H4, I think there's a chance they will scrap Sprint + AA's Admittedly a small chance but you can't completely write it off. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Seriously though...give up on the idea that "We can make the game work with sprint" STOP THAT SHIT...SERIOUSLY GUYS. IT WILL NEVER WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your not making the game any better, your only giving 343 what they want, and what 343 wants is a dumb game. Fight for no sprint! If you really love competitive Halo then you will fight for No Sprint until Halo 5!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Source?

I know that it seems like they want to carry on with their "vision" of this modernised class based Halo, but after seeing the numbers for H4, I think there's a chance they will scrap Sprint + AA'.s Admittedly a small chance but you can't write it completely off. 

Fair enough, but the main idea of the post was to say what they could do with AAs to make them work. I honestly think just these two AAs would be great for Social play.

Fair enough, but the main idea of the post was to say what they could do with AAs to make them work. I honestly think just these two AAs would be great for Social play.

IMO, the game needs to be the same across the board. I made a "Why no Sprint should be universal for Halo 5" thread a few weeks back and that thread applies to AA's, too.

We can't segregate ourselves from the rest of the game or we won't see any growth. That's why games such as H3 were so popular because the core game was similar for both social and competitive playlists. The only changes competitive playlists really made as opposed to social were weapon placements, timers, a few powerups and no radar.

I still feel that there is a chance that they will scrap the concept of AA's and Sprint, a lot of pros and community leaders have had conversations with 343, hell, even Ninja, Ghost and others went over to 343 before and talked to them a lot about Halo's mechanics. I'm sure they're aware of the issues that players have with Halo.

Even casuals complain about Sprint and AA's on Waypoint, not all of them, but not every casual is in favour of them.

I find it hard to believe that 343 still don't realise why Reach and H4 suck compared to the original trilogy. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Halo Community is full of pussies if you bow down to 343. Just like how 343 won't give us sprint, then we won't play the game, it's that simple...I haven't played Halo 4 in months and i don't plan on it until Halo 4 has no sprint. I usually don't care about making Halo 4 better an just leave that to you guys, but seeing all the fucking pussies on here, you guys need to grow some balls man. You guys make our community look weak. Stop trying to work with 343's bullshit.

NS Sprint or No game.

• Downvote (-1) 4

IMO, the game needs to be the same across the board. I made a "Why no Sprint should be universal for Halo 5" thread a few weeks back and that thread applies to AA's, too.

We can't segregate ourselves from the rest of the game or we won't see any growth. That's why games such as H3 were so popular because the core game was similar for both social and competitive playlists. The only changes competitive playlists really made as opposed to social were weapon placements, timers, a few powerups and no radar.

I still feel that there is a chance that they will scrap the concept of AA's and Sprint, a lot of pros and community leaders have had conversations with 343, hell, even Ninja, Ghost and others went over to 343 before and talked to them a lot about Halo's mechanics. I'm sure they're aware of the issues that players have with Halo.

Even casuals complain about Sprint and AA's on Waypoint, not all of them, but not every casual is in favour of them.

I find it hard to believe that 343 still don't realise why Reach and H4 suck compared to the original trilogy. 

AAs as a map pickup could work for competitive play though. I agree that competitive and social should be similar though.

AAs as a map pickup could work for competitive play though. I agree that competitive and social should be similar though.

If they go back to the H3 style equipment, that would be the best route, if they had to do something like that. However, I want them completely balanced, fly out some pros to the studio and get them to fucking test them and provide feedback. I think if they were balanced properly, we could see them used in competitive play, which in turn makes the games similar to casuals attempting to make the switch to the competitive side of things.

I think why MLG in Halo 3 never saw a lot of growth was because we didn't use all the crappy Equipment they gave us like Power Drain, Bubble Shield, Regen etc. Same with Reach. Rightfully so, though, because they were completely unbalanced but I think if 343 make something like a limited use Thruster Pack, players could fight over it and at the same time, wouldn't be OP or break the style of competitive play. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

If they go back to the H3 style equipment, that would be the best route, if they had to do something like that.However, I want them completely balanced, fly out some pros to the studio and get them to fucking test them and provide feedback. I think if they were balanced properly, we could see them used in competitive play, which in turn makes the games similar to casuals attempting to make the switch to the competitive side of things.

I think why MLG in Halo 3 never saw a lot of growth was because we didn't use all the crappy Equipment they gave us like Power Drain, Bubble Shield, Regen etc. Same with Reach. Rightfully so, though, because they were completely unbalanced but I think if 343 make something like a limited use Thruster Pack, players could fight over it and at the same time, wouldn't be OP or break the style of competitive play. 

Finding the perfect power balance is key. Usually AAs tend to be OP or UP so we don't end up using them.

fly out some pros to the studio and get them to fucking test them and provide feedback. 

They did that for Halo 4 and look how it turned out. I don't trust a few pro's to test a game behind closed doors. They need to release a public beta so EVERYONE can play the game before it is released. I doubt they will do it though...we would have never accepted halo 4 it was a beta.

• Upvote (+1) 5

They did that for Halo 4 and look how it turned out. I don't trust a few pro's to test a game behind closed doors. They need to release a public beta so EVERYONE can play the game before it is released. I doubt they will do it though...we would have never accepted halo 4 it was a beta.

A beta would be very good indeed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There were rumors of having split playlists for small and large scale battles. I'm fine with the 4v4-8v8 playlists containing no sprint if they do decide to go with a separate playlist capable of holding 32-64 players. They can keep sprint on the playlist that contains these huge maps, while removing it completely from the classic halo playlists.

I still would rather not have sprint though.

Sorry for the off topic post but does anyone else wonder whether people neg lucifer out of hate or love, because I can rarely tell...

But on topic I pretty much agree with everything Sam is saying.

Edit: +rep to everyone advocating for a beta.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry for the off topic post but does anyone else wonder whether people neg lucifer out of hate or love, because I can rarely tell...

But on topic I pretty much agree with everything Sam is saying.

Edit: +rep to everyone advocating for a beta.

Lucifer's name is "Lucifer" first off. He also never contributes to a conversation. Sam is basically the opposite rep of Lucifer. Sam's rep is crazy.

A beta would be optimal, I didn't mention it because NInja said in a VLOG that 343 weren't planning on doing a beta for H5, so pros going to 343i would be the next best thing.

We know that the pros helping pre H4 launch didn't change the game but we don't know for sure that they didn't tell them what needed changing. We know Halo 4 was severely rushed so these things that the pros told 343 to change might not have been able to make the cut due to time constraints. Just a thought.

• Upvote (+1) 2

A beta would be optimal, I didn't mention it because NInja said in a VLOG that 343 weren't planning on doing a beta for H5, so pros going to 343i would be the next best thing.

We know that the pros helping pre H4 launch didn't change the game but we don't know for sure that they didn't tell them what needed changing. We know Halo 4 was severely rushed so these things that the pros told 343 to change might not have been able to make the cut due to time constraints. Just a thought.

I think having the pros test is an overall good thing, but it would be way better to add variety to the focus groups. Pro's earn that title by understanding how to play the game in front of them at an optimal level. They don't exactly know how to make the game in front of them play at an optimal level. You hear people bring up frequently how ryanoob or ninja (I forget) claim that reach is the best out of all the titles. Ghost said Halo 3 either took more skill, or was a more team oriented game than Halo 2. Ogre 2 stated bloom was good and added to the skill gap.

So while I would love to send in a bunch of pro's to test the game, I would much rather have a mixed group of players with strengths and weaknesses. Have test groups who focus on specific items, like having Doju and some others who have proven to understand how to properly test and alter gametypes. Have someone like Joshington who will be able to exploit jumps which were thought to be impossible, or clutch routes. Have someone who has taken it upon themselves to do aim assist, auto aim, and bullet magnetism tests. Take some of the guys from Hidden Gaming League and make sure they can't exploit your map. You might even be able to bring in some forgers who can test or alter map ideas.

I used to play a ton of Monday Night Combat. I witnessed the game evolve and at such a fast pace and we essentially went from playing at the pace of 05 Halo 2 into 07 Halo 2, where the meta was way more polished and deep. The reason I bring this up is because the community contained a lot of various players. Some were casual and some were competitive. The competitive ones helped push the meta, but the casuals are the ones who found the exploits and glitches. There are so many of them and they're pretty unusual as well, but I feel more confident sending in someone who knows what to look for than sending someone who knows how to play it already.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Source?

I know that it seems like they want to carry on with their "vision" of this modernised class based Halo, but after seeing the numbers for H4, I think there's a chance they will scrap Sprint + AA'.s Admittedly a small chance but you can't write it completely off. 

There's also a chance that they may interpret the reasons for that differently than we do. Halo 4 was a sequel to Halo 3, but I think they based the gameplay off of Reach to avoid the "Why can't I sprint in this game when I could sprint in the last one?" questions. I don't anticipate them scrapping the AAs/Loadouts/Perks completely in favor of traditional Halo, especially when the Infinity playlists are the most populated ones.

I think what's more likely to happen is that Sprint will be universal again, but there will be more "just sprint" playlists and less "AAs/Loadouts/Perks" playlists, as well as a feature to turn off Sprint. I wish I could find Frankie's post on GAF where he mentions that expanding the list of options available to the player would be the best way to accommodate everybody. 

Maybe it'll be different for next gen though because of the generation gap. They could get away with a "return to roots" and avoid this kind of confusion.

I think having the pros test is an overall good thing, but it would be way better to add variety to the focus groups. Pro's earn that title by understanding how to play the game in front of them at an optimal level. They don't exactly know how to make the game in front of them play at an optimal level. You hear people bring up frequently how ryanoob or ninja (I forget) claim that reach is the best out of all the titles. Ghost said Halo 3 either took more skill, or was a more team oriented game than Halo 2. Ogre 2 stated bloom was good and added to the skill gap.

So while I would love to send in a bunch of pro's to test the game, I would much rather have a mixed group of players with strengths and weaknesses. Have test groups who focus on specific items, like having Doju and some others who have proven to understand how to properly test and alter gametypes. Have someone like Joshington who will be able to exploit jumps which were thought to be impossible, or clutch routes. Have someone who has taken it upon themselves to do aim assist, auto aim, and bullet magnetism tests. Take some of the guys from Hidden Gaming League and make sure they can't exploit your map. You might even be able to bring in some forgers who can test or alter map ideas.

I used to play a ton of Monday Night Combat. I witnessed the game evolve and at such a fast pace and we essentially went from playing at the pace of 05 Halo 2 into 07 Halo 2, where the meta was way more polished and deep. The reason I bring this up is because the community contained a lot of various players. Some were casual and some were competitive. The competitive ones helped push the meta, but the casuals are the ones who found the exploits and glitches. There are so many of them and they're pretty unusual as well, but I feel more confident sending in someone who knows what to look for than sending someone who knows how to play it already.

Yeah, very good point you bring up. I agree.

AAs only as pick up and sprint completely removed from default play. If they don't make those requests i'm not buying Halo. It's as simple as that. We keep trying to compromise and it just doesn't work. We know Halo doesn't work as some hybrid. Only way it'd work is if it was a completely different game. 

Sprint can stay in campaign and customs, but not as for default settings.

• Upvote (+1) 1

http://t.qkme.me/3tudyt.jpg

I hate to be that guy, but there's also a chance that they may interpret it differently than we do. Halo 4 was a sequel to Halo 3, but I think they based the gameplay off of Reach to avoid the "Why can't I sprint in this game when I could sprint in the last one?" questions. I don't anticipate them scrapping the AAs/Loadouts/Perks completely in favor of traditional Halo, especially when the Infinity playlists are the most populated ones.

I think what's more likely to happen is that Sprint will be universal again, but there will be more "just sprint" playlists and less "AAs/Loadouts/Perks" playlists, as well as a feature to turn off Sprint. I wish I could find Frankie's post on GAF where he mentions that expanding the list of options available to the player would be the best way to accommodate everybody. 

Maybe it'll be different for next gen though because of the generation gap. They could get away with a "return to roots" and avoid this kind of confusion.

That's not a source, that's a player made meme. Yes, of course there's a chance they interpret it differently, and I think that's what happened with Halo 4 when we thought we were going to get a game more similar to CE-3, not Reach.

I think it's different now, they have 2 bad games with similar mechanics, they have Quinn, they have Bravo, they have a lot of feedback from community leaders and pros, I think they have enough guidance to not screw it up, but we'll have to see.

You say the Infinity playlists are the most populated, in every game, the basic Slayer playlists were. It's the most default playlist in the game. All the casuals flock to them because it's very simple to understand and easy to pick up. No weird rules or gametypes, just kill the other team. H3 Team Slayer used to pull in the hundreds of thousands, and we're sitting on 5k peak for 4v4 Infinity Slayer, I think it's very clear what the fanbase prefer. 

Yeah, very good point you bring up. I agree.

It's something I feel the community generally overlooks, because we often idolize the pro's or put a lot of trust into them. I think the developers overlook it too, but if they can't do a beta, they should definitely attempt to organize multiple focus groups to specialize and test niche areas, before going ahead and having an overall test group give feedback on all the tests.

• Upvote (+1) 1