Gobias

Legendary Slayer

Does anyone know anything about it? Back at GDC, they announced a playlist that would be a cross between Throwdown and Infinity Slayer, to be released in late June. I posted a topic about it on the 343industries Community forum, but I reckon they're not as involved as people on Beyond. My initial speculations were that Legendary Slayer would supply the player with mid-range rifles through personal Ordnance. Perhaps that is why they tested the weapons for so long. Could this be the classic playlist we've all been waiting for? Tell me what you think. I'm interested to see what players in the upper echelons say as well as other speculations.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Legendary slayer is anything but pure, classic Halo then it is just unnecessary segmentation of settings. We already have Infinity and Throwdown which are both pretty similar. There's no need for a third iteration of casual/semi-casual settings.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Legendary slayer is anything but pure, classic Halo then it is just unnecessary segmentation of settings. We already have Infinity and Throwdown which are both pretty similar. There's no need for a third iteration of casual/semi-casual settings.

Agreed

Legendary Slayer should just be v4 settings, with the removal of PoDs and sprint with 120% movement on small maps designed for those movement settings. That's pretty much as close as we can get to classic Halo in this game, since we can't get descoping and other previous mechanics. I think Throwdown is a pretty solid balance between what I described and Infinity settings, but with an obvious lean towards 'classic'.

Current Slayer Pro settings somewhat suffice in my opinion given the new weapon tuning. POD's in general need to be replaced with Equipment pickups. 

Something I've noticed and something xClicked touched on in his latest video is decreased overall map movement. I don't known if it's just a apprehension of the new settings or the fear of getting slaughtered by that Battle Rifle. I really can't say anything conclusive this early on, but I'm thinking that mandatory Assault Rifle load-outs could be beneficial on the casual-competitive side of things--Throwdown and all that should stick with the Battle Rifle, of course. We love our mid-range rifles; I think the incentive to earn one, instead of being gifted an all-purpose death machine in the beginning of the match, could propel game play forward and make players MOVE.

Will not ever be classic because of flinch.

Something I've noticed and something xClicked touched on in his latest video is decreased overall map movement. I don't known if it's just a apprehension of the new settings or the fear of getting slaughtered by that Battle Rifle.

I've noticed this as well, and I've typically been a passive player from the start. Sprint allowed people to get away with a lot of stupid decisions. Now, people realize they're being punished for those stupid decisions and they don't know how to play anymore because they keep second guessing themselves.

You can also point to map design. Originally, because of the long kill time and sprint, maps feature lots of large, open death pits so that sprint can't be abused, but misplacement can still be punished. Now, misplacement is punished even more because the time you have to get from aforementioned death pit to safety has been reduced, and thus those 'death pits' are now larger.

All the more reason to just scrap Sprint and go back to classic map design. ;)

Good point, Kat. Sprint is no longer the all-purpose option that has allowed the weaker player to escape. Even so, it still wreaks havoc with designing maps. In order to have a no-sprint mod in v5, a whole new set of maps needs to be forged. The only ones that work for sure with no-sprint are Haven, Skyline, and Monolith. On some Forge maps like Simplex, the jumps don't work, or the gameplay is slow, or the pacing is all wrong. A no-sprint v5 has to come before those maps can be made.

Didn't they say Legendary Slayer would be the premier playlist to get your 50 in as well?

It's gonna be interesting. Very interesting. I honestly have no idea what to expect as I don't see it being no sprint. Maybe we'll see it at E3, probably not though.

If this is a god almighty classic playlist, then i'm buying Halo 5 limited edition and everything. Because 343 ARE getting better and will definitely produce an amazing game, considering the power of the xbox one and all their mistakes with Halo 4.

• Downvote (-1) 1

It should be 120% speed with AR starts. Weapons scattered across map of course.

I'd really like Legendary Slayer to be sort of the Halo 3 Team Slayer playlist. Two gametypes, Team Slayer(AR-Magnum starts) and Team BRs(BR-AR starts), both with radar enabled. All other weapons, such as DMRs, LRs, Carbines, automatics as well as power weapons should be placed on maps. No PODs, no ordinance drops, no armor abilities, no tactical/support upgrades. Sprint should probably stay in though, as the playlist will have to feature most on-disc maps.

Oh and it should be Team-based CSR Ranking.

I'm actually hoping for it to be an unranked playlist. I know at least a dozen people who make new accounts just because ranked playlists can get so frustrating. They said at GDC that it would be a fusion of Throwdown and Infinity Slayer, so there go the chances of it having no ordnance. Load-outs are a different question entirely.

I'd really like Legendary Slayer to be sort of the Halo 3 Team Slayer playlist. Two gametypes, Team Slayer(AR-Magnum starts) and Team BRs(BR-AR starts), both with radar enabled. All other weapons, such as DMRs, LRs, Carbines, automatics as well as power weapons should be placed on maps. No PODs, no ordinance drops, no armor abilities, no tactical/support upgrades. Sprint should probably stay in though, as the playlist will have to feature most on-disc maps.

Oh and it should be Team-based CSR Ranking.

No. (Bolded)

@VelociT Heroic makes a good point, actually. Very few maps are actually compatible with no sprint. Without sprint, a lot of maps are riddled with "dead zones" that make even casual play suffer. And no, just adjusting the speed to 120% won't fix it.

@VelociT Heroic makes a good point, actually. Very few maps are actually compatible with no sprint. Without sprint, a lot of maps are riddled with "dead zones" that make even casual play suffer. And no, just adjusting the speed to 120% won't fix it.

Adjusting the speed does fix it. The only maps that might need to be "Changed" is forge maps in matchmaking. Have you tried playing promod or any of the other modded NS gametypes? They play 10x better than any of the gametypes with sprint. The only map that plays "Kind of bad" is adrift.

@VelociT Exactly, the maps will have to be modified. Otherwise we'd be stuck playing four maps in one playlist. Legendary Slayer is slated to arrive in late June, so I doubt they would have time to test no-sprint. Also, you probably haven't played that mod with 4sk settings. The new weapons tunings can hinder map movement and make games drag on, most noticeably in objective game types (CTF & KotH). Maps need to be tested; sightlines need to be shortened and tac-jumps adjusted.

Adjusting the speed does fix it. The only maps that might need to be "Changed" is forge maps in matchmaking. Have you tried playing promod or any of the other modded NS gametypes? They play 10x better than any of the gametypes with sprint. The only map that plays "Kind of bad" is adrift.

@VelociT Exactly, the maps will have to be modified. Otherwise we'd be stuck playing four maps in one playlist. Legendary Slayer is slated to arrive in late June, so I doubt they would have time to test no-sprint. Also, you probably haven't played that mod with 4sk settings. The new weapons tunings can hinder map movement and make games drag on, most noticeably in objective game types (CTF & KotH). Maps need to be tested; sightlines need to be shortened and tac-jumps adjusted.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about what a "bridge" playlist between casual and competitive settings could be like. Even though I'm all for sprint taken out of the game, something like Promod seems too competitive for this purpose.

Promod had 4 Shot kill from the beginning

@Heroic Yes, that's exactly what the community needs! At its height, BTB has around 10,000 players at a time, and Infinity Slayer has nearly 7,000. Yet Team Throwdown hovers around 700 at its highest. If we can "bridge" that gap, give the casual community a taste of competitive play and provide a reliable casual playlist for competitive players, then the matchmaking scene will benefit hugely. I agree that it should be like Halo 3 with AR/Mag starts and primary rifles supplied through world ordnance. Perhaps there could be a similar set of "pro" armor abilities (Thruster Pack, Hardlight Shield, Hologram) to make competitive players feel more at home and to expose casual players to Throwdown's system.

Slayer Pro is pretty close, no Radar, drops at certain times with the same weapons at the same drop, (although it's ord).

maybe legendary slayer has no sprint no ordinance no loadouts or no AAs!