Sign in to follow this  
Clipen

Why I don't believe the Gandhi/Maven combo can cast the BIG games

Gandhi and Maven are experts at passing downtime.  It's hard to be on stream with no game going and having to just talk and keep people interested but they make it look effortless.  While there is a game on I've seen them just talk to each other like there isn't a game going but that doesn't bother me a whole lot but I can see how some people don't like it compared to GoldenBoy's awesome play by play.  Willing to overlook that though because they are enjoyable to watch and I do not require a play by play to enjoy watching a tournament.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I completely disagree.

Gandhi and Maven are amazing at casting and certainly bring more intelligent/insider points to the table.

I think Goldenboy can be good but one criticism I have is that he simply repeated the same stuff over and over a lot of times.

Also I couldn't help but laugh out loud when he mentioned "You know I've been thinking and I just realized that neither player [ace nor pistola] is going to pick up that concussion rifle because then the other person will know where they are!"

I'm like, didya just figure that one out?

To give Goldenboy credit, there were probably people who haven't played Halo 4 or were generally new to the series. Bravo also mentioned a ton of things that are second nature to the Competitive community but said them in means of exposition.

I enjoyed Bravo and Goldenboy's commentary and I definitely think Ghandi and Maven are solid casters but they are all different. It's like comparing film.

To give Goldenboy credit, there were probably people who haven't played Halo 4 or were generally new to the series. Bravo also mentioned a ton of things that are second nature to the Competitive community but said them in means of exposition.

I enjoyed Bravo and Goldenboy's commentary and I definitely think Ghandi and Maven are solid casters but they are all different. It's like comparing film.

Hit the nail on the head.

If they casted the event and catered towards those who are already experienced and have an in depth knowledge of competitive halo, they'd be excluding the majority of their market. What were the numbers for the broadcast? I could be way wrong but I think I've heard some numbers around 20k towards 30k viewers? That's amazing for where we are right now. What does AGL average? What does AGL peak? Let's say AGL averages 3-4k viewers. We had 17,000 to 27,000 additional viewers that most likely haven't watched AGL's or even MLG events.

Those 17-27k contain a large majority of players who do not have experience with competitive Halo. To laugh at goldenboy for saying how neither player wants to go for the concussion rifle because it gives away their position is pretty dumb. It might be obvious to you, but to the spectator who doesn't share your knowledge, that probably gave him a lot of insight. It helps showcase the mind games and thought process, without going to deep or getting to confusing. I mentioned it previously, but we could have had it way worse. I enjoy listening to all the current casters more than I did enjoy listening to puckett. I might get some flak for that, but puckett today is leagues better than 08 puckett.

I still haven't watched the production, but I do have some casting suggestions for AGL and the casters if they were interested. I think we need more emphasis on explaining the game thoroughly before the match starts. Remember how MLG had overhead lay outs of the maps or videos showcasing where the power ups and weapons are? We should try to improve on that. Give the viewers a heads up on what to look for. Hopefully it allows you to focus more on what is happening at that specific moment.

Yeah I completely disagree.

Gandhi and Maven are amazing at casting and certainly bring more intelligent/insider points to the table.

I think Goldenboy can be good but one criticism I have is that he simply repeated the same stuff over and over a lot of times.  

Also I couldn't help but laugh out loud when he mentioned "You know I've been thinking and I just realized that neither player [ace nor pistola] is going to pick up that concussion rifle because then the other person will know where they are!"

I'm like, didya just figure that one out?

Goldenboy "can" be good? Goldenboy IS good at what he does. 

I dont understand were the OP is coming from - Gandhi and Maven bring a certain humor to their casting mixed with professionalism, and I find it to be very enjoyable to watch.

I personally watched Scott cast CoD and Borderlands over the weekend at Pax and he is honestly incredibly talented.  You remember at UMG when him and maven casted cod they had no idea what was going on.  This event Scott was nailing every single callout - knew everything that was going on, knew the players, etc.  Was pretty awesome to witness first hand.

I am simply saying that even when Gandhi brings intensity...it doesn't seem intense because I'm so used to him joking around. I do agree he is good at being the guy who knows it all. The fact that he knows multiple games at a competitive level better than pretty much any other caster is impressive. I just think he isn't that person to cast the finals (in any game) at this point in his casting career.

I am simply saying that even when Gandhi brings intensity...it doesn't seem intense because I'm so used to him joking around. I do agree he is good at being the guy who knows it all. The fact that he knows multiple games at a competitive level better than pretty much any other caster is impressive. I just think he isn't that person to cast the finals (in any game) at this point in his casting career.

Just try to take this person seriously

Just try to take this person seriously

Haha I smiled watching that...she was awful. But the bar has been raised ten fold since then. I am not bashing Gandhi and saying he is a horrible commentator. I am simply stating that I don't believe, at this point in his career, he has what it takes to be that guy that commentates the final match. Just my opinion.

I agree. I did repeat quite a few things watching it back and as for the other comment you need to remember that we are speaking to an audience of gamers who are not to privy to competitive Halo. Stating the obvious goes a long way in bringing in the casual viewer because chances are they didn't pick up on it.

As for the OP I believe Gandhi and Maven have all the potential to branch out and be big name casters.

Yeah absolutely, I just though the way you phrased it with "I've been thinking" was funny is all.

Also, I'm happy that you can take and respond to criticism.  I understand that it is especially difficult to do so with casting (and I feel like a jerk that you even saw my comment) since when someone criticizes commentating it is often a very personal thing.  This is opposed to say, criticizing gameplay because that is much less personal than explaining for example why you don't like someone's voice.

In other words I could not do your job (even if I had a personality  :kappa: ).

Bravo is amazing. I think Maven is very solid as well.

Goldenboy is good, but sometimes he makes a few slip ups. Like his kinda insensitive mark about Hispanics and cars.

Gandhi has been coming off as extra :salt:  recently.

I really disagree about his "slip up" with hispanics and cars.  That was not a slip up at all, people like you are just eager to create controversy over harmless jokes.

Goldenboy "can" be good? Goldenboy IS good at what he does. 

You are right, I worded that weirdly.  I meant to say that he can be better.

I really disagree about his "slip up" with hispanics and cars.  That was not a slip up at all, people like you are just eager to create controversy over harmless jokes.

It seemed like a slip up to me, because it seemed to come out awkwardly. Neither of us can know for sure though. "People like me" are trying to create controversy? Come on now, really? Why does race even have to be brought up during commentating?

It seemed like a slip up to me, because it seemed to come out awkwardly. Neither of us can know for sure though. "People like me" are trying to create controversy? Come on now, really? Why does race even have to be brought up during commentating?

"People like you" as in "people who get offended easily over inconsequential remarks."

He was referring to how a lot of latinos put spinning rims on their cars.  It was just a joke.  Just because a joke has a racial word in it doesn't mean that it must automatically be an insensitive or insulting joke.

"People like you" as in "people who get offended easily over inconsequential remarks."

He was referring to how a lot of latinos put spinning rims on their cars.  It was just a joke.  Just because a joke has a racial word in it doesn't mean that it must automatically be an insensitive or insulting joke.

I'm not offended personally. I'm totally super-duper white. It just came off as distasteful to me, that's all. I personally don't care, but I could see how some people may take it offensively.

I wasn't even aware that a lot of Latinos put spinning rims on their cars, to be honest. None in my area do.

Yeah absolutely, I just though the way you phrased it with "I've been thinking" was funny is all.

Also, I'm happy that you can take and respond to criticism.  I understand that it is especially difficult to do so with casting (and I feel like a jerk that you even saw my comment) since when someone criticizes commentating it is often a very personal thing.  This is opposed to say, criticizing gameplay because that is much less personal than explaining for example why you don't like someone's voice.

In other words I could not do your job (even if I had a personality  :kappa: ).

Don't worry about it dude!

When you work in this business you have to take constructive criticism and apply that to your work. I was told I repeat a lot of words so in response I purchased a pocket thesaurus so I can just study up on common words I use and avoid repetition! 

Just a small step to improve the experience!

• Upvote (+1) 2

Each Halo caster that is currently casting brings something different to the table and they're all good. 

Like others have said, Ghandi/Maven tend more to the humorous side of things but that engages new viewers very well. I don't see why that would be a problem.

Goldenboy/Bravo is great for the edge of your seat play by play. Also good for new viewers.

Really, I think they can all handle the big audience.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Gandhi was at his peak in 2010.  Sure he was mainly a support caster but now he just screams and is, in my opinion, obnoxious.

Gandhi was at his peak in 2010.  Sure he was mainly a support caster but now he just screams and is, in my opinion, obnoxious.

Really? I think Gandhi is a way better caster now. 

To the OP:

I guarantee Gandhi and Maven will be able to cast the big games. They put so much time into learning games, can communicate very well, are generally likable and funny, and are getting better with every event. They have a huge amount of potential and are quite good already.