Sign in to follow this  
Clipen

Why I don't believe the Gandhi/Maven combo can cast the BIG games

I've followed Gandhi for awhile now in his casting and, like many other people, wondered why 343/Virgin gaming didn't give him or Maven for that matter, the chance at casting any of Halo4GC. What I came to realize is that although I, like many others, really enjoy their combo casting, it comes off almost as a joke many times. SURE it makes me laugh and brings viewers but the reason I feel like the Halo4GC was so perfect was because Bravo and Goldenboy took casting Halo to a whole different level that we haven't seen at any of the AGLs or even Halo in general (I know Puckett was the man and I miss him <3). Even with Goldenboy showing some signs of subpar map/gameplay knowledge, he could bring the intensity level to something we never felt at AGL. I found myself on the edge of my seat when Str8 Sick fell off the map getting a....DOUBLE KILL. I thought about it for awhile and realized that when Gandhi does get serious, it almost feels odd to me because I'm so used to laughing at his jokes and Mavens as well. Don't get me wrong I love watching them both but I think what is holding Gandhi back is the fact that people can never take him 100% serious because he always throws something in that makes you laugh.

Props to Bravo and Goldenboy at Halo 4 Global Championships. There casting was up there with the best I've seen in competitive gaming and I hope Gandhi takes a note or two.

PS - I love Gandhi for everything he has done for our scene. He has more knowledge of Halo than any caster I've seen. I'm just giving my opinion and wondering if anyone has felt the same way.

• Upvote (+1) 3

In terms of whats good for halo, definitely Bravo/Goldenboy > Gandhi/Maven, because of professionalism. H4GC was a great watch thanks to them.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Gandhi and Mavenn have proven they can appeal to a mass audience though, and with them networking at PAX I have no doubt they'll get more opportunities in the future. They're excellent casters, and hopefully more companies are starting to realize that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Gandhi and Maven can definitely be a serious and professional duo if they wanted to. I think the reason why we see them joke around a lot of the time is because they're not getting paid to cast AGL's so they feel they have a bit of leeway. You can bet if Gandhi and Maven were picked for the H4GC that they'd take it 100% serious. 

This was evident back when Gandhi casted Halo for MLG, the company holding the event just has to be super important for him to be professional with it. AGL, in my opinion, hasn't quite reached that point yet although we have seen many signs of him taking it seriously.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Bravo is amazing. I think Maven is very solid as well.

Goldenboy is good, but sometimes he makes a few slip ups. Like his kinda insensitive mark about Hispanics and cars.

Gandhi has been coming off as extra :salt:  recently.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I completely disagree.

Gandhi and Maven are amazing at casting and certainly bring more intelligent/insider points to the table.

I think Goldenboy can be good but one criticism I have is that he simply repeated the same stuff over and over a lot of times.  

Also I couldn't help but laugh out loud when he mentioned "You know I've been thinking and I just realized that neither player [ace nor pistola] is going to pick up that concussion rifle because then the other person will know where they are!"

I'm like, didya just figure that one out?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I love the gandhi/maven combo.

They do it different which is what is needed. You cant be like everyone else and get noticed. I feel like the reason most of the COD players enjoyed them was the fact that the other COD casters are so professional at all times and its good to get some people in there to liven up the crowd a little and make some jokes.

Also like some one said above, gandhi has proven he can be professional if he needs to be when he used to cast for MLG.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Gandhi HAS to be there. He has more understanding of professional halo then anyone else we could get to cast combined. And over the last 4 years or so he has gotten real good on the mic on both play by play and color commentary. Puckett may be the only Halo caster i have enjoyed listening to for years over gandhi.

As for the Gandhi/Maven combo. I think they are great. They have a great relationship on camera and fit each other like Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole on TSN...

• Upvote (+1) 4

Gandhi has said it multiple times in his thoughts videos.

He'll start acting professional as soon as he gets paid. Since he isn't getting paid to cast AGL he is going to have a good time and say whatever he wants. 

He goes to AGL to hang out with his friends and enjoy himself.

I love Gandhi but I think he would be best fitted as an expert and that a caster as Goldeboy is the man "holding the scedule". Gandhi have great knowledge about the game and the players and as an expert he can spice things up with his personality. Because Bravo is working on 343 I also think that he takes a pretty neutral stance, and therefore kind of boring, against the players performance. A think unattached (right word?) casters and expert commentators can analyze the gameplay and the players performance with greather depth than people working with the developer of the game.

How dare Gandhi and Maven add humor and fun to video game casting! Be super serial!

Every caster's different, not just in Halo but in sports as well. Personality is key. There's so many casters in other video games that are so boring to listen to solely because they lack the personality. They tell you what's going on and paint a picture, but that's not all casting is about. If I wanted dry speakers that talked about every minute detail, I'd watch CSPAN.

Maven and Gandhi are full of personality, and people love them for that. Halo loves them. The CoD players even really enjoyed them casting MLG at PAX this weekend. You should've saw the amount of mentions they were retweeting from people that don't even really know them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Granted it was scripted, but go watch the MLG Halo 2 broadcasts on USA network. Penn Holderness was my favorite commentator, although I doubt he could perform as he did live.

He did such a good job of not sounding like an idiot, while trying to keep it basic for the viewers at home.

Or go watch the 2v2 WCG between Walshy + Saiyan vs Ogres. The lady commentating did by far the worst job I've ever heard. That's a combo of not knowing the product, and not being able to sell it.

Goldenboy brings the heat when he cast. Thats what I like about him.

Gandhi/Maven are deff more knowledgable about the game, so each has their place.

I see what everyone is saying and like I said Gandhi is one of the most knowledgeable casters in the game. I just have that thought in the back of my head that even when he is serious and trys to make things intense, it just doesn't sit well with me because I'm so used to him joking around. Just my 2 cents. I figured I would see what everyone thought and I'm glad I did. In no way am I saying I don't enjoy watching Gandhi or Maven. Thanks for the comments that weren't just trying to get  +rep.

Gandhi has said it multiple times in his thoughts videos.

He'll start acting professional as soon as he gets paid. Since he isn't getting paid to cast AGL he is going to have a good time and say whatever he wants. 

He goes to AGL to hang out with his friends and enjoy himself.

Ever hear the phrase about dressing for the job you want and not the job you have?

It's hard to expect someone to pick you up as a caster and hope you can be as professional as they want you to if they've never seen much of it. (Obviously they're capable)

I don't think it would be that crazy for Gandhi and Maven to tone it down a level if it meant they would get to cast more. I think they're hilarious. 

Gandhi and Maves know how to cast indepth analysis and be entertaining, and they can apply that to almost any game, so they're pretty much set, IMO

I have always thought this about the duo. But they do have the ability to be completely serious and give us the hype that any e-sport might need.

They just need to not joke as much and bring the viewers into an understanding of the fine details occurring in whatever game they are casting. Creating the "edge of your seat" experience.

Hyping the small things that add up into the huge plays. Golden/Bravo do this exceptionally.

I feel like Maven has the most potential of the two - Gandhi is pretty decent when he's focused, but he's also very easily distracted and ends up dragging up ancient history much more than is necessary.

Currently my favourite Halo 4 casting duo is definitely Bravo & Goldenboy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dont understand were the OP is coming from - Gandhi and Maven bring a certain humor to their casting mixed with professionalism, and I find it to be very enjoyable to watch.

I personally watched Scott cast CoD and Borderlands over the weekend at Pax and he is honestly incredibly talented.  You remember at UMG when him and maven casted cod they had no idea what was going on.  This event Scott was nailing every single callout - knew everything that was going on, knew the players, etc.  Was pretty awesome to witness first hand.

• Upvote (+1) 3