Goat

Maps you never want to play on again

H3: I always fucking hated Assembly on Halo 3. And I'm not even sure why. It's a small map that worked for 2v2s and 4v4s. But something about it made me wanna turn my xbox off. 

Reach: Reflection

H4: Meltdown or Solace

Also, am I the only one that thinks Reach was much worse than H4 for developer made maps? 

As far as I can remember, the only developer-made maps that were actually used competitively were Zealot, Countdown, Penance, Battle Canyon (remake). Zealot was the only map I actually liked. Countdown was okay, but I never liked it too much. So there were only really 4 developer-made maps that actually worked. 

In Halo 4, we have Abandon, Adrift, Haven, Pitfall and Skyline, with backup okay-ish maps like Landfall (edited version), Monolith and Solace. I know some people aren't huge fans of Abandon and Adrift, but they are at least developer-made maps that work competitively on some kind of level.

I just think Reach relied so heavily on community forge maps because the disk ones were so mediocre. And I even think the competitive Forge maps on H4 are better than those on Reach. Simplex, Station 9, Dispatch and Onyx are all really solid Forge maps.

It just seems strange that one of the things people hate most about H4 is the lack of small maps, and yet I still think its about 4x better than what we had to deal with in Reach. Bungie were so lazy with the Reach maps and just made a load on Forge World to make sure there were enough maps for the game on release. Anyone with me here at all?

• Upvote (+1) 1

H4: Meltdown

What's wrong with this map layout-wise? I know the weapon/vehicle balance leaves much to be desired. 

Narrows and the pit.

you've definitely just said this to be controversial. two of the best competitive maps in halo history and you hate them?

Halo 2: Coagulation

Halo 3: Narrows/Epitaph/Construct/Snowbound/Valhalla

Halo Reach: Sword Base/Powerhouse

Halo 4: Solace/Ragnorak/Adrift/Monolith

you've definitely just said this to be controversial. two of the best competitive maps in halo history and you hate them?

Not trying to be mean but if you think those maps are the best in Halo you must have not played older halo games where positions mattered a lot more and verticality was a thing. Oh and maps weren't on played on 1 plane

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually don't mind, nay ENJOY ricochet on solace.

Trust me, I'm as surprised to write that last sentence as you are to read it.

What's wrong with this map layout-wise? I know the weapon/vehicle balance leaves much to be desired. 

I just don't like the map design, boring colours, and the map is too big :\

Not trying to be mean but if you think those maps are the best in Halo you must have not played older halo games where positions mattered a lot more and verticality was a thing. Oh and maps weren't on played on 1 plane

People love a good moan at Halo 3 for absolutely no reason. There were other maps in Halo 3 that did have multiple levels (like Construct). Would have sucked if they had all had the same structure. The Pit is one of the best CTF maps in Halo history, and there's been some incredibly memorable MLG moments on that map. The slayer standoffs at 49-49 on that map with a sniper on either side waiting for someone to make a wrong move were unparalleled. The thing I loved about the H3 maps is that they ALL required such different strategies. No two were similar in any way. 

Guardian Ball

Construct KOTH

Heretic (any gametype). And yes I know it's a remake.

The Pit CTF

Narrows Slayer

All 5 of the above were perfect in my opinion. I just think far too many people try too hard to dislike the H3 maps purely to support the argument that H2 was a better game.

I could make a very long list. 

But the maps that have given me the GREATEST headaches (and aren't maps that everyone unanimously hates) are Construct, Elongation, Abandon, and Countdown. 

They're just two very poorly designed maps. Awful los, only allowed for one super basic strategy to follow, prone for standoffs, way too large for the weapon sandbox's ranges, might be the worst maps ever to be run by mlg. They don't hold a candle to any of the competitive halo 1 or halo 2 maps, and before you say it, nostalgia has nothing to do with this. They really are just poorly designed 4v4 maps.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They're just two very poorly designed maps. Awful los, only allowed for one super basic strategy to follow, prone for standoffs, way too large for the weapon sandbox's ranges, might be the worst maps ever to be run by mlg. They don't hold a candle to any of the competitive halo 1 or halo 2 maps, and before you say it, nostalgia has nothing to do with this. They really are just poorly designed 4v4 maps.

Not sure about there being only one strategy for the pit? And why are standoffs bad? They're damn exciting to watch and it's interesting to see the map positioning that teams take in a standoff situation compared with just a generally defensive setup on The Pit. I agree that Narrows is probably too big- firing a BR cross-map was pretty much hopeless. But I never got that feeling when playing The Pit. The sniper range was perfect, rockets were fine because they spawned in a confined area, and it was difficult to move them too far from their spawn point, and the BR could just about be fired cross-map. 

I can cast an entire game of Halo 3 on the pit without even watching, and chances are I'll be pretty close to casting it spot on.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm not really big into BTB so I hate playing on maps like complex or meltdown or exile. I'd never want to play on snowbound ever...again.

I'd put TL-34 from h1 but I played that for 5 seconds and had already decided it was just a joke from bungie.

Not sure about there being only one strategy for the pit? And why are standoffs bad? They're damn exciting to watch and it's interesting to see the map positioning that teams take in a standoff situation compared with just a generally defensive setup on The Pit. I agree that Narrows is probably too big- firing a BR cross-map was pretty much hopeless. But I never got that feeling when playing The Pit. The sniper range was perfect, rockets were fine because they spawned in a confined area, and it was difficult to move them too far from their spawn point, and the BR could just about be fired cross-map.

Since the pit is bisected by a giant wall, it made getting power weapons (which spawned every 2-3 minutes), sitting on your half of the maps and waiting for your opponents to push through the choke points a game winning strat. Not much skill to this strategy. Map design was much better when players were able to zone sections of a map as opposed to clustering together in one section/side and team shooting.

Standoffs are bad because they slow down the pace of the game, thus forgiving players with slower reaction times when they should be punished by a greater margin and lowering the skill gap.

The BR couldn't consistently cross map from snipe to snipe; I've actually seen pros like Chig say that they thought the BR was a 5sk at default because of its inconsistencies at such short ranges like this.

Maps designed like the pit and narrows has a lot to do with halo 3 and beyond being about linear aggression gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All forge maps until we get terrain + texture editing. Also, Abandon, Adrift, Complex, Erosion, Exile, Harvest, Impact/Relay, Landfall, Longbow, Meltdown, Monolith, Outcast, Perdition, Ravine, Shatter, Solace, Vertigo, Vortex, and Wreckage. So many maps, absolutely nothing worth playing.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yep, when they released Big Team Skirmish, 343 decided that Complex was a better CTF map than Meltdown.

I think it could have helped to include both. There isn't like a huge selection for BTS CTF.

Basically this and what teapot said

Pit and narrows were really simple in meta for the maps and simple strategy

Abandon is the only map I enjoy on Halo 4. I have played almost no Skyline because people dont buy the maps.