Sign in to follow this  
Psycho Seal A89

If Halo 5 has ranks, de-scope, tournaments etc would sprint matter?

But sprint is much more than one shots getting away.

Can you honestly say that H4 and Reach maps are on par with H2 and CE maps?

Sprint has a direct and negative effect on map design, IMHO.

All I know is I like it when Haven, Skyline, Monolith, Vertigo and Pitfall appear as voting options, I like it.

Unlike Reach. Swordbase. Swordbase. Swordbase. Forge map. Forge map. Greeyyyyynesssssss foreverrrrrr lol

Maybe not from the perspective of most competitive players, but to my friends who regularly play Halo now instead of Cod (or at least as well as) it is a good thing dude.

Honest question. Do you feel that sprint improves 4v4 play in Halo?

Just give me an option to turn it off for custom games and at least one, preferably several (some combination of FFA, 2v2, 4v4, 8v8) fairly competitively oriented playlists and I'll play the game. 

As of now Sprint is probably the biggest reason that I don't feel motivated to play Halo 4. It can't be escaped with the exception of modded gametypes, and as frustrating as descope is at least it's not something that can be abused to smooth over poor decision making or to reduce the weight of the respawn penalty.

If Halo 5 is otherwise acceptable but sprint is still a permanent fixture I know I'll burn out on it as quickly as I did with Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honest question. Do you feel that sprint improves 4v4 play in Halo?

I honestly don't know man, I regret starting this thread to be honest...given how many of you have voted my profile reputation down because I have a difference of opinion on sprint.

Honestly imo, its 2013 not 2004, sprint is just a part of modern day FPS's. If the competitive community keeps pushing for absolutely NO SPRINT then I think were going to lose out on opportunities to advance the game in other areas, as 343 we'll just see us as the community that's stuck in the past.

• Downvote (-1) 4

Halo fans will never be happy, unless it's a Halo 2/3 reskin. And even then, I'm sure someone would complain that you cant do any of the H2 glitches.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I honestly don't know man, I regret starting this thread to be honest...given how many of you have voted my profile reputation down because I have a difference of opinion on sprint.

Honestly imo, its 2013 not 2004, sprint is just a part of modern day FPS's. If the competitive community keeps pushing for absolutely NO SPRINT then I think were going to lose out on opportunities to advance the game in other areas, as 343 we'll just see us as the community that's stuck in the past.

It wasn't an attack, nor have I down voted you. Just an honest question. I want to hear about what people think and what their reasoning is. In my opinion (which doesn't matter), sprint doesn't enhance Halo 4 in 4v4 play or less. However, it do think it detracts from the game's map design, spawn systems, and map flow. There are plenty of threads here about sprint, so I won't go into any further detail.  I don't think anyone on these forums would care if sprint is in Halo 5's larger player variants like BTB, dominion, etc. However, it directly impacts 4v4's, 2v2's, FFAs, and 1v1s. A compromise would be have no sprint in the smaller game modes, and sprint in the larger ones/campaign/Spartan ops. But I would like to know if you think sprint helps 4v4 play.

*Edit: After looking at this thread, you were neg repped once. I hope you aren't just looking to instigate on the forums.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It wasn't an attack, nor have I down voted you. Just an honest question. I want to hear about what people think and what their reasoning is. In my opinion (which doesn't matter), sprint doesn't enhance Halo 4 in 4v4 play or less. However, it do think it detracts from the game's map design, spawn systems, and map flow. There are plenty of threads here about sprint, so I won't go into any further detail.  I don't think anyone on these forums would care if sprint is in Halo 5's larger player variants like BTB, dominion, etc. However, it directly impacts 4v4's, 2v2's, FFAs, and 1v1s. A compromise would be have no sprint in the smaller game modes, and sprint in the larger ones/campaign/Spartan ops. But I would like to know if you think sprint helps 4v4 play.

Like I've said, I go into a game of Slayer Pro, Infinity or Legendary or whatever (have you played Legendary BR's today in Infinity Slayer? its pretty good), I spawn, I sprint a bit, I find someone, attempt to frag him, then 4 shot him with my BR, maybe teabag him if I'm in the mood and I repeat this process.

Sprint bugs me when people can simply sprint away from fights I try to start (this was a nightmare before the weapon update) but I think 343 could simply remove this problem by nerfing sprint so that if I'm sprinting and I receive in-coming fire my sprint simply gets cancelled out so I cant just sprint away, can we agree that that's a start and that is better than the current sprint we have?

Your knowledge of the game "map design, spawn systems and map flow" is obviously greater than mine, I'm just speaking on behalf of someone whos played Halo for years and generally plays solo.

Halo is about smaller arena maps. Sprint and small maps just don't work, the pit feels somewhat the same but plays so different than it did with halo 3. I also thing jet pack is in the same category when it comes to destroying the way a map is suppose to be played .

Like I've said, I go into a game of Slayer Pro, Infinity or Legendary or whatever (have you played Legendary BR's today in Infinity Slayer? its pretty good), I spawn, I sprint a bit, I find someone, attempt to frag him, then 4 shot him with my BR, maybe teabag him if I'm in the mood and I repeat this process.

Sprint bugs me when people can simply sprint away from fights I try to start (this was a nightmare before the weapon update) but I think 343 could simply remove this problem by nerfing sprint so that if I'm sprinting and I receive in-coming fire my sprint simply gets cancelled out so I cant just sprint away, can we agree that that's a start and that is better than the current sprint we have?

Your knowledge of the game "map design, spawn systems and map flow" is obviously greater than mine, I'm just speaking on behalf of someone whos played Halo for years and generally plays solo.

The main reason I ask is because from my experience, people are really indifferent when it comes to sprint in smaller game types. You wouldn't have to sprint to find someone if the maps were designed appropriately for 4v4 play. Reach and Halo 4's maps are so hit and miss. They are designed with a more narrow, elongated style (see Adrift) which actually makes it take longer to make engagements. Maybe my perspective is biased after being spoiled by the maps of Halo CE and Halo 2. But when I played those games, I didn't think it was slow paced. Again, I don't have a problem with sprint being a default trait in btb, dominion, and plenty of other gametypes. And maybe for infinity slayer (under the assumption that it returns), it can be an armor ability as it was in Reach. But imo, the negatives of sprint far outweigh the illusion of faster gameplay.

Yes, it would matter to me at least. If halo 5 did away with everything else, and made maps that don't suck... I MAY be able to play though. But in my opinion, sprint is the worst addition to competitive halo we've seen. Sprint ruins so much about halo I have bad dreams about it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The core game is more important than any amount of competitive support; You've essentially stated you'd be happy playing any game as long as there is de-scope(and I'm assuming a four-shot BR). There probably isn't a way to work around sprint, you can lessen its effects, which makes it a pointless mechanics, but you cannot fix the fundamental problem of sprint in an Arena shooter like Halo.

However, another potential movement mechanic that does not have all the negatives of sprint could be implemented, as long as we are given the option to remove it if it really is broken.

Yes, it would matter to me at least. If halo 5 did away with everything else, and made maps that don't suck... I MAY be able to play though. But in my opinion, sprint is the worst addition to competitive halo we've seen. Sprint ruins so much about halo I have bad dreams about it.

To add to my own post.

If Halo 5 came NoSprint but still had Flinch instead of descoping, No in game ranks, And a map set as awful as we have now. I'd probably play it more often then if it did have sprint but got rid of everything else.

Tournament's do not play a factor in whether or not i play halo. 

It's not so much the sprinting away that bothers me, I'll just call him out and move on the the next guy (I'm unselfish like that) but Kat said it best in his Believe in Us thread: Without sprint, the phrase "all 4 dead" actually meant something. It meant that you could travel across open areas to take map control/push for obj, and it meant that you didn't have to be right on top of the flag to run it. Getting all 4 dead in pit flag on 3/reach, the closest guy could be green and still carry flag and typically get it back to green without being killed by nades, but with sprint in h4, you can make it back to green but you'll be met by 2 guys on your green shooting at you. It's so much harder to get map control with sprint even if you're out slaying the other team. In King games, I've had teams win while my team is getting triples and overs all game simply by spawning and sprinting at the hill. It's not just the 1 shots getting away that matters, it's everything else with sprint that matters. 

^this - I think sprint should at least be balanced with longer respawn times. I had a really frustrating game of Ricochet on Pitfall the other day where the other team would push up, all get mowed down, and then all be sitting in strong defensive positions by the time I got the ball back to their side. My team was playing the ball hard too, not just slaying. I think that might be why Assault wasn't included with H4 - if you're pushing the enemy team into their base the fast spawns and faster movement make it feel like you're trying to bail out a boat with no bottom. 

Of course, I'd rather just not see sprint in Halo. Sprint, DMRs, and jetpack should go be their own little spinoff game. No descope wouldn't even be that bad if the maps weren't all giant DMR/Sprint focused clusterfucks with dumbed down height variation to accommodate JP. (Still bad though)

All I know is I like it when Haven, Skyline, Monolith, Vertigo and Pitfall appear as voting options, I like it.

Unlike Reach. Swordbase. Swordbase. Swordbase. Forge map. Forge map. Greeyyyyynesssssss foreverrrrrr lol

In my experience H4 is basically Adrift, Adrift, JIP onto a decent map with a terrible team, Adrift, Haven, Adrift...

Sure there are some decent options in the vote, but nobody actually votes for them. That's why Swordbase was so annoying (well, other than it being Swordbase)

I miss the veto system.

I seriously want to see with my own eyes everything, even if its frustrating/bad game. I honestly do... besides, Halo 4 is not really a bad game, maybe its a bad Halo game, but I've enjoyed a lot with H4.

I don't want to be influenced by peoples thoughts either positive or negative when I might have different tastes or opinions.

It's just me hehe... :D

But from now, most of us are depeding on future Vidocs of the next Halo, so we'll see what extent is bad/good the next Halo. So yeah, I'm dumb :P

You can have your own opinion by watching game play... You don't have to listen to someone's opinion.

Halo 4 sucks. It's not even fun as a regular game. If it was I'd be willing to play it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You can have your own opinion by watching game play... You don't have to listen to someone's opinion.

Halo 4 sucks. It's not even fun as a regular game. If it was I'd be willing to play it.

Thats your opinion, but I sometimes enjoy playing it  :) you can't assume it sucks for everyone and nobody enjoys it, for some reason there are 30k people playing it. 

Maybe not from the perspective of most competitive players, but to my friends who regularly play Halo now instead of Cod (or at least as well as) it is a good thing dude.

Nope. It's not which is why there's only 30k people playing.

I always find it ridiculously frustrating when people bring up the "opinion" argument. Cause it's contradicting. My buddy says he's a fan of sprint, I talk about how it slows down game play, how it's not necessary if you increase base movement and make the maps smaller, how it's a good out of jail for free card, etc. His argument is "well it's my opinion that I like it, I'm not considering competitive value" even though that's just plain ignorance since that's what you're doing in MP is competiting. Later on he's playing Reach and starts complaint about Armour Lock and how it's cheap that you can just push a button to save yourself after making a mistake. Well there you go, irony and contradiction.

He did end up agreeing sprint is not good for competitive play. He want just talking about "eSports" but MP since that's what you're doing is "competing".

I don't agree all. I'd agree that yes it's good that your friends are playing Halo, but for the reasons for them playing it is frustrating to hear. Stuff like that is the reason why Halo is turning into shit. 343i are trying to care to those kind of people.

Thats your opinion, but I sometimes enjoy playing it :) you can't assume it sucks for everyone and nobody enjoys it, for some reason there are 30k people playing it.

It's not just an opinion. It's YOU'RE opinion that YOU like the game. I'm saying as a whole the game isn't that great. The game has randomness in it. Might as well flip a coin and last time I checked flipping a coin isn't that popular of a game.

The game is constantly being tweaked because of how bad it was. It's still not even that great. How is losing a BR battle because you're weapon missed, but you were spot on considered good?

CSR is a lousy ranking system. Doesn't work that great, better of using the true skill system in H3.

Sprint slows down game play not by choice. People like fast game play.

I mean look at the maps. Look at Solace, you can see how the game is flawed just by looking at the maps. You want action when you play right? But you also wanna play smart. Well Solace gives you know reason to push. You can sit on your side of the map the entire time and its the maps fault.

You're only proving my point by bring up the 30k population. Remember there was 400k people playing at first. Meaning the 30k is the minority. Meaning the minority enjoy the game. And it hasn't even been a year yet! Lol

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sprint is a deal breaker for me. We can have the worlds greatest game as far as "e-sports" features are concerned. BUT, sprint kills it.

You see how incredible the global championship was? Imagine it with no sprint...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can we agree that that's a start and that is better than the current sprint we have?

No, we can't. Sprint has to go because of what it has done to maps. With 4sk BR, sprint is still frustrating when people run away with it, but it is bearable. However, the maps in Halo 4 are too freaking big and this is because of sprint. The maps are a huge element of the game, even if all other things are great if you have shitty maps nobody will want to play the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint is a part of modern day FPS's. That's definitely true.

However, if the community (the competitive side, or just the community in general) pushes for NO SPRINT, then they will get a game they want, and will play a game that offers more replay value for them.

That's what I hate about the modern age of gaming: people think it's all about nostalgia when it comes to wanting the oldschool feel in games. I beg to differ, as it's more apparent to me that the older installments of Halo worked. I mean, look at MLG Reach v7. The gameplay was reminiscent of Halo 2 (with less aim-assist and no button glitches of any nature), but Reach's last event almost revitalized the competitive Halo community.

That aside, I think Halo should re-innovate in the FPS industry by going back to a simple formula, although it should improve on mapbuilding capabilities, improved gameplay-clip support, improved UI, and a bunch of other things outside of gameplay. It shouldn't compete with other games by emulating other game's core gameplay features, and Sprint is absolutely no exception.

I think sprint would still matter because it's still impacts numerous competitive (competitive as in "play to win") aspects, including hurting map design.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well I would definitely buy and play the games if it had all the things you mentioned. But Doubles better be a ranked playlist over Snipers.

Halo fans will never be happy, unless it's a Halo 2/3 reskin. And even then, I'm sure someone would complain that you cant do any of the H2 glitches.

they just need to adapt magne.

How about instead of posting lame arguments like that all the time, attacking the people, why don't you actually argue about why sprint is good for halo.

You've previously ignored my arguments as to why it is bad, and no doubt you've done the same here.  You refuse to listen to others who understand the game better than you.

As for the topic,  No.  Sprint absolutely needs to be removed.  

It destroys maps- since maps now have to be made much bigger (which btw keeps things the same pace.  "faster gameplay" is only an illusion.  If anything gameplay is slower with sprint since people can run away much easier.)  

Also, simply since I do not want to have to reformat the links into this forum, you can view my response against sprint HERE.

In games like CoD sprint can work since the killtimes are so quick, and in Gears it works since the base movement speed is reeeealllly slow and gears is a cover shooter.

Halo is not these games, and for the arena shooter that it is sprint brings with it numerous drawbacks that no sprint simply does not have.

Like honestly, what is the drawback of nobody having sprint on gameplay?  More consistency in your engagements?  The ability to shoot someone as they run away from you and you are running at them?   Players having movement that is actually somewhat predictable and counterrable?   Punishing death more by simply not letting players sprint vast distances off the respawn?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Sprint will always be bad, stop trying to make it work, stop thinking about it period. Just tie it up, pour gasoline on it, throw it in the back of an alley, don't even set it on fire and just let it rot there in the filth of feces and toxic waste.

Sprint is a joke, how can some people not see that everyone moving at the same speed is clearly better and balanced... than having some people sprinting like un-organized monkeys in the jungle.

Let Sprint die like Myspace...just stop thinking about it, get it out of your head, it's terrible, IT WILL NEVER WORK

Sprint or no sprint, every situation would be the  same. Rushing for rockets for example. sprint or no sprint it's still the same. chasing someone down, still the same concept sprint or no sprint. I'm not understanding why people hate sprint with a passion. At have an option to enable or disable sprint. Then everyone's happy.

• Downvote (-1) 4