Joseph

Halo 4 Global Championships

Wow, this makes me feel a bit more hopeful. With a little bit more good news, I might bust out "Beli343" in my signature. I'm seriously excited about the future of Halo, hopefully they announce another tournament, a 4v4, or even 2v2 would be awesome.

However, i think that a little more specific exchange that you had with the 343 guys would be awesome, like exactly what they mean when you say "They get it"

• Upvote (+1) 3

Good post but did they specifically talk to you about things they were adding to Halo 5?

Of course not.  You cant leak information or you get fired - Gaming industry 101.  What I was saying was that they are aware of our concerns and they arent the super "casual" "spartan ops" obsessed devs that we have all painted them to be.

Trust me, I get it 100 percent, I know.  This whole event we (Myself, Cyren & aPK) spoke with so many staff members and got to meet some really cool people who work on different areas of the halo game development, and it really blew my hair back to hear what they had to say about Halo.  They get it. They know what the game needs. .

Define "it", I fail to see specifically what you are talking about, I know you can't go into details- you simply wouldn't have them, and while I trust you as a credible source, "it" just doesn't click with many people as "it" could be anything.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good post but did they specifically talk to you about things they were adding to Halo 5 or did they give you PR fluff about how they're listening to the competitive community's feedback? 

I remember pre H4 launch, they released a ViDoc about the competitive scene and how these maps had been "tailored to suit the needs for the competitive crowd" and one of the maps they showed us was Adrift. 

I want to have faith and believe Halo 5 is gonna be sick but I'm not 200% sure they really get it.

This.

It's nice to hear, but I'm still not biting the bait until I'm certain. Anyone can tell you what you want to hear - PR 101. I'll reserve my judgment of Halo's future for when I start seeing more about it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

it really blew my hair back to hear what they had to say about Halo.  They get it. They know what the game needs.

What exactly do they get? What exactly do they know the game needs? We are already aware of dedicated servers, 60 FPS, and continued e-sports support in Halo 5. Dedicated servers and 60 FPS are networking and performance improvements. What about mechanics? Do they understand why no sprint is fundamental to competitive Halo? Did they realize how ridiculous it was that players were able to sprint across the entirety of Skyline when they were 1-shot, completely avoid finishing a fight, regain their shields and fight again?

The H4GC is one event. It was amazing. The production and commentating were incredible. However, it is one event. We have no further information on possible additional developer sponsored tournaments in Halo 4. We are going to need more than just your word to be convinced that Halo 5 is really in good hands.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Of course not.  You cant leak information or you get fired - Gaming industry 101.  What I was saying was that they are aware of our concerns and they arent the super "casual" "spartan ops" obsessed devs that we have all painted them to be.

That's my point. I know they want to cater to the competitive scene, they told us that before Halo 4 and look how that turned out. I'm just saying I'm not going to hold my breath until they actually perform.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would hope that by now, most of the people at 343 Industries "get it". Whether they're going to do anything about it... entirely different story.

As I've said in multiple threads before... I've pretty much labelled Halo as a dead franchise and have no intention of buying any more games. If they show me that this next title will be worth my money, however, I'll happily buy it. But if things like sprint, flinch, loadouts, broken/random mechanics persist... I'm out. Titanfall and other games will gladly take my time.

There's a lot more that could be done to Halo 4's matchmaking that could improve it that solely involves changing maps, gametypes, and how playlists are organized - I'm not even talking about modding the settings. But these aren't being done. If Legendary Slayer was supposed to be 343's idea of "getting it", we're fucked.

• Upvote (+1) 3

My perception of how hopeful I will be has, to me and Im sure many other veteran players, come down to specifics. Not more, not less.

I keep saying as well that 343 has improved a hell lot of in the past months and that I think the direction they seem to be taking is the right one.

However, any general (!) talk about how they "understand" us and want to "make it competitive", any of that has become meaningless to me.

IF I hear sth like: "We will make more symmetrical maps" or "we want to overhaul the spawn system" or how theyll change the CSR system, AAs, flinch and so on. If I see and hear that, Ill buy into what their answer is. I know I cant expect this of a developer to reveal or make too many comments on specifics. But again, thats the only information that is relevant for me to determine if Im  hopeful for the next title or not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was also at the event last night and it was amazing. However, I think we are forgetting a few things here.

The people who were mainly present there from 343i, were the ones we already knew had our back as a competitive community. The problem is, not all of them have the influence or are calling the shots for the game. (Angel, Quinn, Bravo, Gh0st, etc.)

The fact of the matter is that a lot can be 'said', but a heck of a lot has to be done. I'll believe it when I see it. If the next Halo flops again, I'm NOT going to be blaming those guys I mentioned above -- just like I wouldn't blame them for Halo 4 (which makes sense because most of them weren't there during the actual beginning of the game). 

We all know what the real 'big shots' at 343i actually think of Halo in terms of competitive playing. It's a matter of how much influence our A-team has on them during the production.

No AA's, No Sprint, Descope, Spectator mode, in-game ranks, and small maps again. I doubt we'll get all of those -- and that's what it's going to take. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think the almost automatic scepticism from this thread sums up how we feel about this, while you have made a good post- almost all of the competitive community have lost faith after Halo 4, when I first found the Waypoint forums post-launch Halo 4, I found many members lost and confused, none of them sure what to do but to go on the forums and complain, and I could sadly see exactly where they were coming from.

You even summed it up yourself. 

I know that ever since Halo 4 released and we were dropped by MLG we were in sort of a panic mode.  Everyone was vanishing, pros were trying to switch to other games, and the people who did stick around didn't do much but complain and bash the developer and game (I am guilty of this to a certain extent as well)  It was understandable to a certain degree though in my opinion.  The competitive community expected an epic Halo title to follow up the lackluster Halo: Reach - and I think everyone just lost it when we didn't get the Esport feature packed title that we all hoped for.

Unfortunately, I wasn't on a Halo Forum pre-Halo 4, but all I can imagine is people saying that "343 get it, it will be ok"- I feel I don't need to dwell on how that turned out.

I feel as if members of the community have heard it before and don't want to fall into the same pile of disappointment again, believe it or not, we want to believe you, we want to have hope, but the community has ran out of steam after Halo 4.

But at the same time, I bet everyone in this thread believes 343 does "get it" one way or another. 

We all have some form hope remaining and it's keeping us going, because- lets be honest, if you honestly thought Halo was dead, you wouldn't be here. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

If they got it they would fix it.  I will remain pessimistic until I have reason to change my beliefs.  Hopefully I will though.

It makes me WANT to feel good about this all, with you saying this, Saucey.

And everything deserves a second chance.

But I know what happened last time. I like H4, but I completely understand it's faults on a competitive level and I remember that they said the game was meant for eSports.

That's all I'll say.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Microsoft and 343 really want a shot at having a successful H5 they need an open approach. As far as I'm concerned gaming industry 101 should be what Mojang does with open beta and constant community interaction (for example there is a test server for their new scrolls game. They've invited streamers onto the server so the entire scrolls community can witness new changes and balancing to the game as they occur) not what Microsoft does. The approach of having everything hidden behind a curtain is what enemies did during the Cold War not what developers should be doing to their gaming communities. Success for Microsoft is realizing that Halo is a very community driven property and they would be more successful telling us what they plan to do with random spread and sprint and then not only hearing but testing and potentially implementing our feedback. Until we see this kid of attitude there is no way we can truly know if they are spartan ops die hards or not. Words mean very little when so many other developers not only take an active role in their community but also allow their community an active role in developing the game. I'm not asking that they have beyond stream H5 in alpha (although that would be sick as hell) just that they initiate an open conversation where no question will go without an honest an open answer.

Brb making 10,000 accounts to +rep this.

It frustrates me that we'll be delivered Halo 5 without playing it in Beta mode probably and that will be it. We can give them all the feedback in the world but only bits of it will get done and even then, it will take months for them to do it then test it etc.

Like we saw with Halo 4, straight away we complained about X, Y and Z but nothing could be done because the sustain team is much smaller than the whole development team and the rest of the staff already moved onto working on the next Halo title. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The people who were mainly present there from 343i, were the ones we already knew had our back as a competitive community. The problem is, not all of them have the influence or are calling the shots for the game. (Angel, Quinn, Bravo, Gh0st, etc.)

Not really - We actually met a lot of new staff over the duration of the event that I have never spoken with before.  I actually only saw BS Angel only a handful of times because she was so busy handling the event haha.  I did chat with Quinn a lot though.

Not really - We actually met a lot of new staff over the duration of the event that I have never spoken with before.  I actually only saw BS Angel only a handful of times because she was so busy handling the event haha.  I did chat with Quinn a lot though.

Did Kevin Franklin get it? Because he was also present there...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did Kevin Franklin get it? Because he was also present there...

I actually did get to talk with Kevin Franklin! - really nice guy, Him myself and Ace had a discussion about descoping after the H4GC was over. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I actually did get to talk with Kevin Franklin! - really nice guy, Him myself and Ace had a discussion about descoping after the H4GC was over.

I have no doubt that he is a nice guy... that has nothing to do with the point. I'm sure almost everyone at 343i has good intentions.

I have a lot of respect for you Saucey, but just talking about descoping is hardly something. We've talked with 343i about in-game ranks during Halo 4's launch and look where that got us. My point is that they have good intentions but just talking about a certain aspect of the game =/= it meaning much.

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but until I hear Frank O' Connor specifically say no sprint, no AA's, small maps, in-game ranks, etc. then I'll start to get hopeful -- but even then that's STILL just talk until we actually see it.

• Upvote (+1) 3