Sign in to follow this  
thefro3po

Anomaly

ANOMALY

Redneedler_zps1efcb5b1.jpg

Anomaly is a symmetrical 4v4 map inspired by aspects of Elongation and Skyline.  Created with Team Slayer and Extraction in mind, it features three hard routes on each side to the top level and one quick jump.

The first concept was a four-way intersection in a futuristic city center, but the idea was quickly abandoned due to budget restrictions and the general flatness keeping with the city/street concept was creating.  I kept the original flow of the map and ended up adding an additional hard route to the top levels in the form of a counter-clockwise flowing ramp.  For reasons hidden to this forger, adding one counter-clockwise route with the two clockwise routes made the map feel complete and the rest of the map fell together afterwards. 

So, here we go.

Weapons

4x Frag Grenade
4x Plasma Grenade
4x Pulse Grenade
4x Battle Rifle
2x Light Rifle

2x Magnum
2x Needler
2x Plasma Pistol
1x Overshield
1x Sticky Detonator
1x Railgun

Pictures

topmid_zps0f9264b5.jpg

Topmidlookingred_zps212fa554.jpg

Stickydet_zps76036d89.jpg

RedPP_zps462a8073.jpg

RedPP2_zpsd4a8c692.jpg

Bottomstickydet_zpsbea94517.jpg

Lookingbottommiddle_zpsf77f5ff7.jpg

Overview_zps4a8d4061.jpg

Download Anomaly

• Upvote (+1) 6

This map looks like it will flow great and the power weapons look very reasonable!

I'll definitely give it a run around in forge tomorrow as its a little late tonight

This map looks like it will flow great and the power weapons look very reasonable!

I'll definitely give it a run around in forge tomorrow as its a little late tonight

Thanks man, let me know what you think.

Looks really well done Fro, liking all the nice routes between levels and height variation you have pulled off with it. That Impact Palette.. I definitely need to do a competitive design on Impact sometime.

Looks really well done Fro, liking all the nice routes between levels and height variation you have pulled off with it. That Impact Palette.. I definitely need to do a competitive design on Impact sometime.

Appreciate it Raine.  Forging on impact is my favorite so far (sorry Ravine), but it is a real test of your patience.

Lighting glitch at less than 4k depending on pieces usage... :angry:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Finally got around to checking it out in Forge: 

The Good

• Your layout is impressive. The routes, the jumps, the ramps - it flows together nicely and it feels like its own map. There's plenty of areas to jump down and I think it has good sightlines for its intended gametypes. I think it could also be a good FFA map. 

• Your forgework and piece usage is nice. I like how you used the station door as a railing for the first ramp you see. The black portions of the map on the floor are really cool too. 

• I get a very old-school feeling when I see this map. It feels like maps you'd see in CE and earlier, like Quake. . 

The Not-So Good

• It looks like Red team is guaranteed to get the Overshield because they can put shots on it and get to it quicker than Blue team. I feel like you gave Blue the "more powerful" Railgun as a way to counteract this issue.

• The top middle of the map feels crowded. The sightline obstruction is a bit too large and doesn't leave much room to dance. 

• I think the 2x2 corner that you're using as a lip to catch people jumping to the top path should be flush with the rest of the path. It's easy to jump up to that path without using that anyway though, so I'm not sure why you have it there. 

• No Sprint would play great on this map, but I feel like it may be a bit easy to run away with Sprint. That isn't necessarily the map's fault, but I think it will just play better if there's one movement setting. 

Improvements

• Maybe shrink the structure in the middle so there's more room to fight without creating a massive line of sight. 

• I think you can blow out the middle of your pillar bottom-mid and make it so you can walk through it. This would be a good place for OS and it will open up the area, which feels a little cramped. By opening that up as well, players move more towards the sides and the ramps because the cover is in that direction. The fastest route to OS shouldn't be the safest, in other words. 

• Your Tunnel Long 'cubes' that you have by initial spawns are z-fighting a little bit. It's difficult to fix in Halo 4 though even when using the A+LB/RB quicktap. 

That's all I got for now. As always, these are just my opinions/impressions so feel free to choose what would work best for you. I'd have to play on it to see how it flows and how Sticky Det vs Railgun goes, but I think it's a solid design overall.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Finally got around to checking it out in Forge: 

The Good

• Your layout is impressive. The routes, the jumps, the ramps - it flows together nicely and it feels like its own map. There's plenty of areas to jump down and I think it has good sightlines for its intended gametypes. I think it could also be a good FFA map. 

• Your forgework and piece usage is nice. I like how you used the station door as a railing for the first ramp you see. The black portions of the map on the floor are really cool too. 

• I get a very old-school feeling when I see this map. It feels like maps you'd see in CE and earlier, like Quake. . 

The Not-So Good

• It looks like Red team is guaranteed to get the Overshield because they can put shots on it and get to it quicker than Blue team. I feel like you gave Blue the "more powerful" Railgun as a way to counteract this issue.

• The top middle of the map feels crowded. The sightline obstruction is a bit too large and doesn't leave much room to dance. 

• I think the 2x2 corner that you're using as a lip to catch people jumping to the top path should be flush with the rest of the path. It's easy to jump up to that path without using that anyway though, so I'm not sure why you have it there. 

• No Sprint would play great on this map, but I feel like it may be a bit easy to run away with Sprint. That isn't necessarily the map's fault, but I think it will just play better if there's one movement setting. 

Improvements

• Maybe shrink the structure in the middle so there's more room to fight without creating a massive line of sight. 

• I think you can blow out the middle of your pillar bottom-mid and make it so you can walk through it. This would be a good place for OS and it will open up the area, which feels a little cramped. By opening that up as well, players move more towards the sides and the ramps because the cover is in that direction. The fastest route to OS shouldn't be the safest, in other words. 

• Your Tunnel Long 'cubes' that you have by initial spawns are z-fighting a little bit. It's difficult to fix in Halo 4 though even when using the A+LB/RB quicktap. 

That's all I got for now. As always, these are just my opinions/impressions so feel free to choose what would work best for you. I'd have to play on it to see how it flows and how Sticky Det vs Railgun goes, but I think it's a solid design overall.

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you taking the time to type all that down; solid, in-depth feedback is like finding a rare pokemon card (that doesn't suck) in your card pack.  Thanks.  ;)

I like your idea about removing the bottom middle LoS blocker, I was concerned about the OS, but wasn't sure what I should do about it, cause putting it top mid would produce similar results.

Do you remember where the z-fighting was happening?  Was it where the two sets of tunnel longs met (top of one and bottom of the other)?  Darn forge pieces tilting, hope they fix that in Halo 5.  :(

The 2x2 was left over from an idea for a LoS blocker that was going to connect from the bottom level to the top, but was removed.  I just left it there for aesthetic purposes, to cut down the 90 degree angles.  Didn't really serve any purpose.  Will remove.

I could probably shorten the length of the top mid structure, but I'd want to keep it the same width.  Any less and it wouldn't block the sight-line from the top of blue long ramp to red (which was my main concern).  Do you think the extraction aesthetics up there are too much?  I'll probably recreate something up there, now that I have some extra Bridge/Platform pieces...

I honestly haven't played any no-sprint gametypes since before the weapon update, so I have no clue how they play.  Haven't even played much in the way of Halo 4 but forge.  Have played some Halo 3 MLG awhile ago, which was pretty AWESOME!!!  Might try and jump online this weekend, sure someone is playing no-sprint somewhere, see how it feels.

Appreciate the feedback sir.  You are a gentleman and a scholar.  :D

You are one awesome person. :)

Agreed!!!

• Upvote (+1) 3

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you taking the time to type all that down; solid, in-depth feedback is like finding a rare pokemon card (that doesn't suck) in your card pack.  Thanks.  ;)

I like your idea about removing the bottom middle LoS blocker, I was concerned about the OS, but wasn't sure what I should do about it, cause putting it top mid would produce similar results.

Do you remember where the z-fighting was happening?  Was it where the two sets of tunnel longs met (top of one and bottom of the other)?  Darn forge pieces tilting, hope they fix that in Halo 5.  :(

The 2x2 was left over from an idea for a LoS blocker that was going to connect from the bottom level to the top, but was removed.  I just left it there for aesthetic purposes, to cut down the 90 degree angles.  Didn't really serve any purpose.  Will remove.

I could probably shorten the length of the top mid structure, but I'd want to keep it the same width.  Any less and it wouldn't block the sight-line from the top of blue long ramp to red (which was my main concern).  Do you think the extraction aesthetics up there are too much?  I'll probably recreate something up there, now that I have some extra Bridge/Platform pieces...

I honestly haven't played any no-sprint gametypes since before the weapon update, so I have no clue how they play.  Haven't even played much in the way of Halo 4 but forge.  Have played some Halo 3 MLG awhile ago, which was pretty AWESOME!!!  Might try and jump online this weekend, sure someone is playing no-sprint somewhere, see how it feels.

Appreciate the feedback sir.  You are a gentleman and a scholar.  :D

Agreed!!!

The z-fighting is right in front of initial spawns (I think I only checked the Tunnel Longs on Red side). You can't see it in game - you have to fly above the map and you'll see it from the top. It's just a minor issue and I'm not sure if it'll even affect in-game performance. 

Shortening the length of the top mid structure might help. I wouldn't remove the extraction/dominion stuff just yet, especially since the first ones in front of initial spawns look awesome. 

For the 2x2 thing, I think you could get away with a LOS blocker there actually. Maybe a small triangular bank structure to jump on and get a bit more height while on that ramp? Try something before ruling it out. 

No Sprint plays just like you'd remember. Just you, your BR, and a bunch of team shooting, especially considering the current gametype has no radar. Movement is a little faster, so a lot of jumps you can't make normally in Forge (mainly crouch jumps) open up to you. 

I'm glad you guys find my feedback helpful! I try to be as in-depth and insightful as I can because we all need to hear it. You'll toil around on these things for hours a day for weeks or months. Nobody wants to hear that all that work was for nothing, but they also don't want to hear shallow feedback that lacks any substance. I know I wouldn't at least. I need to know everything that's wrong with it from the beginning, because it's essential to improving the map and making it play as best as it can. And there's always a way to communicate this constructively - even if playing on it was the most frustrating thing ever.

Pro Tip: Don't rage while the map maker is in the lobby on your team. ;-) 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Wow, looks amazing O.O

About your bottom mid problem, you could make it similar to top mid power up spawn on Warlock. I'm sure if it's thick enough it could still be used as a LoS blocker and still keep Overshield neutral, like this : )

Header_Warlockedit_zpsb8c0bc23.jpg

I just wanted to drop in here and comment that the map looks beautiful.  From an aesthetic standpoint, you did a marvelous job.  I have downloaded it and will check it out further.

I just wanted to drop in here and comment that the map looks beautiful.  From an aesthetic standpoint, you did a marvelous job.  I have downloaded it and will check it out further.

Thanks man.

I'm not sure which version I have in my fileshare, I started making changes based on feedback on here and from the games we ran.  I finished everything except changing top mid.  So, if the one you DL has no top mid  you know why.  B)