Sign in to follow this  
Gaard

Was the H4GC worth $400k?

11k Viewers on Twitch.

Unknown amounts on the Dashboard and Waypoint.

EGMNOW isn't carrying a story on it.

A search for H4GC in Google doesn't bring up anything relating to the finals outcome, nor is there any talk about it, how successful it was etc.

My question is, will Microsoft and Virgin Gaming see this as a loss? 

It's a lot of money to spend on an event where the growth in viewers was only 30%, whereas the prize money was 400%.

Or did they know that they were going to make a monumental loss on the whole event and it is an elaborate way of trying to draw more people into playing competitive Halo and hype up Halo 5?

I still don't think that the Global Championship has brought the kind of momentum that Microsoft needed to establish the NEW Halo franchise as a competitvely viable experience.

Halo 5 will either kill it off forever, or revive it.

Will 343 actually learn from their mistakes?

*Pondering over*

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

1. you don't know the viewers on xbox or waypoint, like you said, so how did you come up with that % growth of viewers

2. why should we care if microsoft is profiting or losing on this event lol

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It was a large publicity event for Halo that occurred with Pax. 400k is not much for microsoft to drop. 

Since it was at pax, it likely drew the attention of non-Halo players. They probably aren't going to bring many people in, but they will have more public consciousness with the next Halo.

Also a main factor that you have to consider is that Halo is an exclusive. A lot of people still have a bad taste in their mouth after the DRM thing and Microsoft needs exclusives to sell their console. 

Halo is their oldest and once most powerful exclusive. They need it to survive. 

Granted, I think the prize pool was a bit ridiculous. 400k is a lot and that doesn't factor non-payout expense.

• Upvote (+1) 4

1. you don't know the viewers on xbox or waypoint, like you said, so how did you come up with that % growth of viewers

I just got AIDS from that post (srs).

1. I'm taking the 11k viewers on Twitch as the main source of viewers. The CoD finals were also on the Dashboard but Twitch still got 100k viewers. Realistically, Waypoint didn't draw that many.

2. It's not about caring, it's about figuring out how Microsoft are approaching the rest of the life of this game and the future of Halo.

If they are investing $400k in trying to show their support for a franchise competitively, then it was most defnitley worth it in my eyes; but they need 343 to follow through with that investment.

If they made a mistake, they realise that and regret it. It tells us that they have no intention of making the Halo franchise competitively viable again.

A large part of this will be how Microsoft responds to the true numbers (like I said I don't have the full list of numbers) and wether or not they decide to re-evaluate the way that they are tackling this game.

Inb4 banned for joke at beginning of my post.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 10

I just got AIDS from that post (srs).

Inb4 banned for joke at beginning of my post.

Well, it was quite disrespectful, and you seem to know better despite not showing it with that bit.

So yeah, one day ban.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

How can you judge 11k and 100k when the person streaming on twitch was not the offical halo waypoint ? I loved the event personally bo matter how good it goes people bitch and complain it hurts

Well, it was quite disrespectful, and you seem to know better despite not showing it with that bit.

So yeah, one day ban.

aPK really?  :salt:  :salt:  :salt:  :salt:

• Upvote (+1) 9

I didn't even know that someone was streaming it On twitch. Like most people, I was watching on xbl and waypoint, since that's where we were told we could watch. Not twitch.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, the way you define it may not seem like it, but for a small price in the grand scheme of things, Microsoft used one of their flagship titles to not only award money to skilled players of the game but to also showcase their brand. Not only were there Twitch/Waypoint numbers, but also people from the rest of PAX that may have never played a Halo game or an Xbox. With the musical performances coupled with an Xbox One trailer every chance they got, I think they accomplished what they were looking to do.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was definitely a net loss, most eSports events aren't profitable, in the event itself. Most publishers rely on their game to sale after, or for in-game items to accumulate the wealth. Viewers help market for sponsors, but do little for revenue. Also, I'm not sure, but I don't believe it cost people to sit in  the audience.

To view GC on Waypoint was way better than Twitch. I really hate the chat, and somehow I always get stuck in that place of horror, desperately trying to defend Halo. It is kind of frustrating. So Waypoint all the way for me!

If you consider the twitch viewers to be the main source of viewership, your entire argument is flawed.

The event was on the Xbl dashboard, on a SUNDAY night, during PRIMETIME. For people on their computers most probably used waypoint, and 11k watched on Twitch (on an unofficial stream).

Your numbers are totally wack.

MICROSOFT IS LOOKING FOR BRAND IDENTITY! By running such a large event, they are strengthening their brands image; almost all of us on these forums are now greatful to them for putting on such a great show and supporting us. Plus, they are advertising Halo, an exlusive to Xbox.

Just remember that for Microsoft, this whole thing was part of their marketing budget. And it worked: I really love Microsoft for putting that event together and supporting us.

• Upvote (+1) 3

To view GC on Waypoint was way better than Twitch. I really hate the chat, and somehow I always get stuck in that place of horror, desperately trying to defend Halo. It is kind of frustrating. So Waypoint all the way for me!

Not sure why you even try to defend it at this point. We can only look to H5 and hope. Then again, ive been hoping for 5 years now.....

Ide bet over 50k watched this. 500k to microsoft is just a dime in thier pocket. Im pretty sure microsoft did this to revive halo 4, and add more hype to Halo 5 and xbox1 (and rightfully so, both are gonna kick-ass). Did you not see all that advertising? Microsoft is a fkin trillion dollar company i doubt they are worried if H4GC was a "net-loss" (even that is to be determined, depends on how effective thier ads were)

With all that being said, givin the constant ads they ran (which is fine, they put up the 500k). I doubt if it was even a "net-loss", and if it was it certainly isnt an amount of money their worried about losing.

/Endpost

How can you judge 11k and 100k when the person streaming on twitch was not the offical halo waypoint ? I loved the event personally bo matter how good it goes people bitch and complain it hurts

Exactly, most people who were interested in it went on Waypoint or the Dashboard, that was just an offshoot who, either wanted the ability to chat during it, or didn't actually know where it was being streamed, I can safely bet that we probably got at least 25k, and Halo was never known to pull in ridiculous numbers.

Whatever it will be, it'll be the most Halo has gotten in years, so I'm looking forward to the numbers, whatever they are.

400k is ALOT for eSports, while 400k is not alot for microsoft. I don't think they are worried about this being profitable.

We'll it was trending, all that publicity has to be worth something.  I don't think you could put a price on re-energizing the fan base as well.  .  

Really? If they lost money on this, why would they keep throwing events? See: MLG :) .

We'll it was trending, all that publicity has to be worth something.  I don't think you could put a price on re-energizing the fan base as well.  .  

I agree, was trending on twitter, 11k on twitch, +plus 2 other sources. Im pretty sure i remember a poll here, and everyone guessed around 15k. I think its safe to say that we possibly doubled those numbers.

I feel like if Microsoft and 343 wanted H4 to go out with a bang (due to there being no more DLC, map packs, etc) then they accomplished their goal.

The fact they gave away that much money for a game that 20k people currently play, blows my mind.  There are more students enrolled in a community college than there are that play H4.

Was the GC profitable? Prob not.  Will it increase the H4 population?  Prob not.  Was it fun to watch for 2 hours on Sunday?  Yup.

I feel like if Microsoft and 343 wanted H4 to go out with a bang (due to there being no more DLC, map packs, etc) then they accomplished their goal.

The fact they gave away that much money for a game that 20k people currently play, blows my mind.  There are more students enrolled in a community college than there are that play H4.

Was the GC profitable? Prob not.  Will it increase the H4 population?  Prob not.  Was it fun to watch for 2 hours on Sunday?  Yup.

How do you know they are done with DLC for Halo 4? (JW)

There were 2x the numbers you say just online last night.

There is no way to know if GC was profitable for them yet, like i said above, it depends on how effective their ads were/how much revenue they pull from running those ads and having people buy that product. And also like I said above, Microsoft isnt worried about H4GC being profitable. They wanted to revive Halo 4 (which they did), and advertise/hype for Xbox1/Halo 5/ Other games (which they did).

If you personally dont like Halo 4 (which by your negative tone it seems you dont), why are you wasting your time here? Its people like you making the atmosphere toxic for every1 else.

How do you know they are done with DLC for Halo 4? (JW)

There were 2x the numbers you say just online last night.

There is no way to know if GC was profitable for them yet, like i said above, it depends on how effective their ads were/how much revenue they pull from running those ads and having people buy that product. And also like I said above, Microsoft isnt worried about H4GC being profitable. They wanted to revive Halo 4 (which they did), and advertise/hype for Xbox1/Halo 5/ Other games (which they did).

If you personally dont like Halo 4 (which by your negative tone it seems you dont), why are you wasting your time here? Its people like you making the atmosphere toxic for every1 else.

Logic - they are releasing the H4 GOY edition with all DLC included.  Developers historically only do that at the conclusion of the title or addition of any DLC.

In regards to the "2x number of people online" - Do you realize that it is just 40k playing? Not much to brag about.  Also, my statement does not mean the population every single day is 20k - but If the population hits 20k, then I can use that number (it has been in the 20's multiple times)

You say they "revived Halo?" How in the world did they do that?  Because everyone was excited to see someone win 200k? We have over a year until we get a new Halo.  They are going to have to do a lot more than throw some money into one big tournament if they plan on "reviving halo."  They shouldve taken that money and made a Halo game that actually garners a following and is competitive.  The luster and allure of the GC will fade..... and then where will we be as a community?

You are correct when you say I personally do not like H4.  Why am I here?  Bro - I have been a part of the Halo community since 2004.  I will always follow and support Halo - which will include at times my honest opinions.  I will not be a sheep and jump on a bandwagon and say "HALO IS BACK!!!" because it is not.  If in 6 months the population is back over 150K (which shouldnt be hard seeing how H4 started with 400k) and Halo has more than 117 viewers on twitch in the afternoon, then MAYBE we can say Halo is back.

*cheers* 

In regards to the "2x number of people online" - Do you realize that it is just 40k playing? Not much to brag about.  Also, my statement does not mean the population every single day is 20k - but If the population hits 20k, then I can use that number (it has been in the 20's multiple times)

By this reasoning, we can also say that halo 4 population numbers are over 400k, which it has been multiple times.

Now do you see why that isnt accurate?

I hate some of you kids I really fucking do.

this thread? like srs..

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Halo 5 will either kill it off forever, or revive it.

This was said about Halo 4 saving Halo or forever killing it. Can we stop saying this, deal with it or move on to another game? Jesus.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The guy who was streaming the event wasn't even supposed to be streaming it. He was not partnered with this event, and he was streaming it off of the dashboard. CoD's stream was actually being streamed by the producers of the tournament. If you want to compare Halo's stream numbers vs CoD's stream numbers, first find out how many were watching on Waypoint. It's absolutely ludicrous the way you are computing some of these things and then telling someone else who actually makes a sensible argument that you received AIDS from reading his comment. 

• Upvote (+1) 1