Sign in to follow this  
Fear Clinic

Battle of the AA's ROUND 1

Round 1  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which AA did you prefer? (explain why!)

zqUnjcj.png

Hey guy's I'm going to start a series of threads comparing armor abilities in the past two Halo games. This first round is going to be Thrusterpack VS Evade. 

I personally enjoy/use thrusterpack more than I ever used evade.

Thursterpack feels more balanced to me, you can just slightly get out of the radius of the grenade that just landed next to you, you can escape around jumps/corners faster while one shot, while not really covering much distance. 

I didn't really like evade all too well because it felt like it was always a "Whoops I didn't get the first shot in during this DMR battle, I better evade backwards and get the fuck out of here!" scenario. 

What do you guys think? Answer the poll and leave a comment!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like TP because you can do it in the air. Evade is cool too but I always thought it was kinda OP, simply because of the distance you can cover. For competitive settings TP > Evade. Being an elite rolling around is still awesone though.

ThrusterPack, it is one of the only AAs that requires skill to use. It also isn't OP in the slightest.

Evade was fun to use, but you covered a ton of distance with it.

Thruster Pack is cool, but I wish it didn't pull you out of first person. Ruins the immersion.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I used Evade, and it easily allowed you to run away from a fight.... and keep on running. But, Thruster Pack lets you get behind cover or behind a corner fast; it is not a 'Get Away Free' ticket if you put yourself in a really dumb place. (I did not play in the MLG playlist or competitively as I do now during Reach, so I did not use Evade other than to cover distance in Invasion) So, I prefer Thruster Pack over Evade. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Evade was kind of funny when you could evade halfway across a map...a big map too lol.

Thruster Pack makes sense from a balance standpoint. A quick burst of movement that doesn't fling you across the world (unless you've messed with the gravity, in which case, whatever floats your boat lol)

Evade no question. I really hope a one use less powerful evade returns in the next halo. We all need to face it that AAs are returning.

So, ThrusterPack?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, Evade was undoubtedly more fun for me, but I will have to say Thruster Pack because it is much better balanced. 

Thruster pack is basically a more balanced version of evade. In reach, you could double evade and practically shoot yourself across a map. 

TP as 2-use piece of equipment should be in the next game.  Evade is little more than a way to get out of the room, whereas TP can be used smartly as both a strafe mechanic and a way to do new jumps, like lifts to mohawk on Haven.

I prefer Thruster Pack for gameplay, but I liked how Evade gave you 2 uses per charge and left you in first person.

The whole diving to become harder to hit was kind of ridiculous though.

Evade. It was less jarring because you stayed in first person, and you could do some pretty neat trick jumps (trick rolls?) with the momentum. Plus, it had slow down, if you were taking fire and trying to roll away, you'd kind of get stuck in place. Maybe that was a bug, but it did balance it out kinda nicely regardless. 

Thruster is nice also because you can do some swell gravity lift manipulation with it, but it really isn't as good as it should be. If a rocket is hurling at you, you thrust to the side? You're still gonna die. 

Evade is possibly the most powerful Armor Ability ever. 

Thruster pack is pretty useful, especially on maps like Adrift, but you can't compare it to being able to traverse Sanctuary in two jumps. 

Evade is possibly the most powerful Armor Ability ever. 

Thruster pack is pretty useful, especially on maps like Adrift, but you can't compare it to being able to traverse Sanctuary in two jumps. 

JetPack, Camo, PV, Armour Lock are all worse and more OP than Evade. There are probably more but I can't think right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ThrusterPack, it is one of the only AAs that requires skill to use. It also isn't OP in the slightest.

Evade was fun to use, but you covered a ton of distance with it.

Agreed. I personally would prefer an even smaller distance travelled when using the thruster but an increase in speed. I want it to be an extra strafe basically.

JetPack, Camo, PV, Armour Lock are all worse and more OP than Evade. There are probably more but I can't think right now.

Jetpack and Camo might be on more stand-offish maps like Reflection or the god damn Cage, but on straight up maps like Zealot or Asylum, there is nothing that can compare to the sheer mobility that Evade provided a player. The only Armor Ability off the top of my head that could even come close to the versatility of Evade is Dropshield in Objective, mainly because if a flag run started with a team with Bubble Shields, you better have control of rockets or the cap is basically guaranteed. 

Plus, you can't compare Promethean Vision to Evade. Seeing through walls has always been a fuckwitted, stupid concept which has been labeled as cheating in most other FPS games. 

Thruster Pack would be perfect if it was shortened a little and replaced Sprint as a default 'dodge' ability like the Elites would do in Campaign. I believe Spartans could do something exactly like it in the Reach Beta during Invasion. If the game glitched and gave Spartans evade, they would do a short hop to the side as opposed to the roll they did in the final game.