Sign in to follow this  
Demon

My thought on Halo's downfall

I'm not really sure how to put this. So I'm just going to say what I've been thinking for a while.

Now I'm not going to start talking about reach or halo 4 just yet . I would actually like to start talking about the halo 3 era.

Now I'm talking about halo 3 not because I think it the best game or even trying to compare them to the previous halos.

I'm talking about halo 3 because I think this was the point where halo was at its highest.

T2 on Dr pepper bottles , contracts , view count and a lot of players that wanted to go pro.

Now personally it started here , the downfall, the main content was only from MLG. We had top ten and Dr pepper house . Also a tips / guide thing with nexy and Puckett I forgot what it was called but never mind . The YouTube content from halo pros was really low. We saw POVs and a lot of community montages but actual pros with content rarely existed . I don't know if this was due to MLG contracts and other stuff but really I think halo pros " thought too much about themselves.

For example if I ran into a pro in matchmaking and look at there bios all you would see is friend request 100 dollars , 1v1 15 dollars.

To me it seemed as if they just taking it to far , i know they can't just add everyone but this is just taking it over board . Then when that guy hacked there accounts and showed it of on YouTube you would see msgs from fans asking them to play with them ect. And all they do is just ignore them treat them like shit.

Every kid wanted to be T2 and snipe down and all them top pros . But I think I t started with kind behaviour from the pros.

They thought they where too sick from everyone even just to play with a fan.

Look at ninja he plays with fans his streams he has a good following.

Then along came reach.

This is just my opinion and how feel about the downfall of the halo scene.

• Downvote (-1) 8

Halo's downfall was due to the Halo series constantly being watered down in hopes of making the typical Casual player find success. 

Yes, certain Pros were very arrogant, especially at MLG's peak, but you can't blame a select few individuals for Halo's downfall, that's ridiculous.

A large, large majority of Halo's playerbase during H2+H3 had no idea what MLG was or that there was such a thing as a Halo Pro.

• Upvote (+1) 5

There are many things that contributed to "Halo's downfall", but the "pro scene" plays a small part in that. I doubt Halo 4 lost 90% of its daily population because there were people charging for spots on their friend's list. It'd be safe to assume that the majority of those Halo players don't even know any pros. 

What's really responsible for Halo's downfall would be the moment Halo started to move away from what made it...well, Halo. It got slower and more random. Map quality degraded. Vehicles stopped being fun to use. Online got frustrating and features were lost one by one. These affect all players - pros, hardcores, interm's, and casuals alike. 

Halo 3 provided a healthy boom to the community, but at the same time its gameplay started the aforementioned trend. Along came Reach, which was a well built game with the gameplay itself also leaving much to be desired. And then came Halo 4, a game with as many problems as its predecessors but also half the content and community. In an age where there are consistent, regular alternative games to choose from, it's easy to see why people jumped ship.

How many 'bad' games does it take for an individual to draw the line? For some, Halo 3 was the last straw. For others, Reach. For the rest of us, I'd imagine 3 strikes is it. If Halo 5 isn't a return to glory, it will not matter what the pros are doing. There will be nobody left to care.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I agree that a lot of pros are arrogant as hell about being good at halo, and care perhaps a little too much.  But that's not why halo is dad.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I didn't say bits the main reason I'm saying it what probably started losing a lot of competitive and a casual fans.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I didn't say bits the main reason I'm saying it what probably started losing a lot of competitive and a casual fans.

If you stopped playing halo because a few pros wouldn't play with you or respond to your messages then you are a mental midget.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree that it sucks when the game you like isn't "popular" and the people front-lining it aren't "role models". 

But most of my friends didn't quit because streams weren't fun to watch. They quit because the game wasn't fun to play. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm confused. First, competitive "try hards" and Halo pros make up a small minority of the overall population and can therefore be largely ignored.

Now, we and the pro's are somehow responsible for Halo's downfall?

It's funny how when we are carrying MLG and making console e-sports a mainstream thing, we are "just a small minority". Now in retrospect somehow we had all this power.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Casual fans have nothing to do with Pros or MLG. 90%+ wouldn't know what they are. The main reason people left Halo was because of the game not being fun anymore or real life taking over.

Like a lot of things, you grow out of stuff, Halo is one of those things. I doubt many, if any, actually quit Halo due to Pros being arrogant or greedy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Look at ninja he plays with fans his streams he has a good following.

The people he usually plays with from his stream is his subscribers, people that pay just to watch him. Throughout the times that I've watched Ninja, on few occasions does he play with people from his stream that aren't subscribers.

On topic, I don't think that is because of the Pro/Competitive community that was the downfall of Halo being that we are only a small margin.

I'm confused. First, competitive "try hards" and Halo pros make up a small minority of the overall population and can therefore be largely ignored.

Now, we and the pro's are somehow responsible for Halo's downfall?

It's funny how when we are carrying MLG and making console e-sports a mainstream thing, we are "just a small minority". Now in retrospect somehow we had all this power.

Yeah but what I'm saying when little kids go into MLG they looking up to pro players trying to be the next pro. You know when that kid grabs snipe trying to snipe like snipe down wishing he be pro.

That's the casuals that look up to the pros. And when they msg the favorite pro and get completly ignored because they want to charge you to play with them.

The pros are responsible for that kind of attitude towards there fans .

Remember I'm talking around 08 when halo 3 really became big.

Did you even watch the video .

Pro Charing 100 dollars to just be on there list andto play them.

Wow yout think people would stay around that long supporting them when they are like that please .

Yeah maybe charge for lessons and whatever but to play a few games with your fans that's just really low.considering the money they were already making.

Yeah but what I'm saying when little kids go into MLG they looking up to pro players trying to be the next pro. You know when that kid grabs snipe trying to snipe like snipe down wishing he be pro.

That's the casuals that look up to the pros. And when they msg the favorite pro and get completly ignored because they want to charge you to play with them.

The pros are responsible for that kind of attitude towards there fans .

Remembet I'm talking around 08 when halo 3 really became big.

No, that's being competitive. If he's playing MLG to try too become the next "Professional" player, that's being competitive not casual. Also the thing is the pro's are trying to be dicks or anything, they probably gets hundreds upon hundreds of messages weekly so they can't just take the time and answer all the messages, they need too practice and win more money. If you haven't met at of the pro's yet, they are some of the nicest people out there. For example, I've met: Walshy, Mikwen, Ola, 2gre, Roy etc.... they are genuinely nice people. ( Except for Hysteria he was a prick)

OP, have you ever been to an event? Most Pros are really approachable especially back in halo 3 where hot pockets and stride gum held autograph signings and shit. They get tons of messages a day and it would too time consuming to message and play with everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

After MLG halo had no where to with no following .

Don't even say AGL after pro players and our community leaders are already switching to COD.

Look at nadeshot success from streaming and content every time I see that guy stream , and he matches and fan he always say thanks I appreciate it. Not 100 dollars add me.

• Downvote (-1) 1

No, that's being competitive. If he's playing MLG to try too become the next "Professional" player, that's being competitive not casual. Also the thing is the pro's are trying to be dicks or anything, they probably gets hundreds upon hundreds of messages weekly so they can't just take the time and answer all the messages, they need too practice and win more money. If you haven't met at of the pro's yet, they are some of the nicest people out there. For example, I've met: Walshy, Mikwen, Ola, 2gre, Roy etc.... they are genuinely nice people. ( Except for Hysteria he was a prick)

Yeah your right it is being competitive.

OP, have you ever been to an event? Most Pros are really approachable especially back in halo 3 where hot pockets and stride gum held autograph signings and shit. They get tons of messages a day and it would too time consuming to message and play with everyone.

Yeah why do you think they are like that at events?

They have to contain a image Sponsers ect

But why not at least play with some of your fans? If your not scrimming/practice?

Just imagine halo 3 times with twitch .

Pros streaming there scrims and LAN practices.

How can Ninja stream and get more views than Neighbougher or Snipe down because his fans like him. And he interacts with them since reach he has been pulling view 500+ average that's more than the throwdown playlist itself

I'm really having a hard time reading your grammar. I'm just going to stop now.

Sorry my grammar is bad. If it wasn't for spell check I couldn't probably even spell that well.

If you stopped playing halo because a few pros wouldn't play with you or respond to your messages then you are a mental midget.

Not stopped playing I shouldn't of said that but its probably why they lost a lot of following .

Trust me I wouldn't support them follow them if they were like 100 dollars add me.

I could give you a list of which pros did this but that's not needed.

I'm really having a hard time reading your grammar. I'm just going to stop now.

Damn I shouldn't have to cut my reading speed in half just to get an idea of what he's trying to say.

Halo is dead because with each new game in the series, it has become worse and worse.

On the topic of the "Pro's" and their role in everything, I dont particularly blame them for the downfall, but I will agree they have done nothing to help.

To this day I dont understand why in a community of a couple thousand people, former halo "Pros" think they are too good for the community, do not support the community, contribute to the community or even take 5 minutes out of their day to engage in a conversation in the forums.  

this elitist mentality has been passed down from the H2 days where people d-rided players who had a "Pro Pass" around their neck.  

In todays culture, if you are a player and have any bit of recognition then you care about one of three things.

1. Viewers

2. Subscribers

3 Followers

In the grand scheme of things does any of that really matter?  Nope....

But for some reason, adolescents will gravitate towards these players and look at them as if they are some heroes of industry.

My high school had more people in it than the Halo competitive community does, and in high school I could care less about the people who thought they were too cool to be there.  

/rant

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Bungie just would have went the Counter Strike development route after Halo 2, the series would be golden right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1