Sam

Post one idea for Halo 5 that's noncontroversial

Removal of hit markers... I mostly care about the nade hit markers, But removing them all would be awesome.

I actually disagree with this, I've gotten used to having hit markers on, and when i go back to a different game, it's extremely jarring.

I would give it a toggle, and bring back the feedback system from reach (shield flares), as it was the best feedback out of all the games, and shits on Halo 3's

• Upvote (+1) 6

I would give it a toggle, and bring back the feedback system from reach (shield flares), as it was the best feedback out of all the games, and shits on Halo 3's

This is a great suggestion, Reach had shield flaring done right. Halo 3/4 you can hardly tell when someone is weak / blinking.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Forge objects that can have changeable texture packages. Like being able to make a 5x5 block and changing its texture to grass, or concrete. This will allow Forge creations far more uniqueness and less repetition. I would also like to see a height-map editor like seen in Farcry 2 or other similar games. 343 could call it something interesting like Anvil. Its completely doable and isnt out of the realm of possibilities since older games could do this.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Removal of hit markers... I mostly care about the nade hit markers, But removing them all would be awesome.

I actually enjoy the meta game behind hit markers in regards to grenades, it doesn't tell the enemy exactly how much damage they did and there's a mind game that occurs with no radar whenever a person lands a nade on someone. Also, the nade markers are a really good way for newer players to start learning spawns for no radar gametypes. It's really useful to feel out around corners and stuff like that with the nade markers as well, let alone the ability to inform the player whether their shots are even hitting or not (blood spurts in reach...).

All in all, a good addition to Halo, plus it reduces the obvious advantage from having a headset just a bit. If a new player wants to start getting more competitive, yet doesn't have the funds to afford a good surround sound headset, they are at a big disadvantage in multiple ways. Some people function better with visual cues and others with audio cues, so there should be no reason to alienate a player from improving or broadening their game just because of a price barrier.

OT: Adding the ability to ping a location in the game. It would be regulated and have a cool-down so players can't abuse it. If you spam it, the system should ban you from being able to use it for a certain time. This would make co-op campaign and other things better, let alone help people without mics understand where they should go or what they should pay attention to.

Final idea before I forget, allow players in the game lobby to ping players in party chat to switch to game chat easily. Personally, it's really frustrating dealing with 3 out of 4 members on your team being in party chat and ignoring anything I could add to the situation at hand. This would allow guys with mics to help encourage others to mic up, thus making gameplay more tolerable. I would rather have a guy go negative with a mic then without.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

a UI as clean and as functional as Halo Reach's UI.

Pokemon cards are great, but not for two games in a row, please.

• Upvote (+1) 3

They need to improve the way the voting system for maps works. Firstly, they should bring some of the stuff they took out back. The countdown timer needs to return, and the ding from Halo 3 should as well. It was annoying in Reach when you'd be sending a message or something and didn't know the voting round was starting. 

I do think they should revert back to the veto system though. This way you don't end up playing the same gametypes on the same maps over and over and actually have the chance to try something different. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

A  high quality spectator mode that lets me jump in and watch at anytime as long as the game is open to spectators. Also, it should kick you out of party chat for obvious reasons. Also this mode should basically carry over to theatre so that you can cast your own gameplay and see multiple 1st person views.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Powerups that don't need to use Ordinance.

Static weapon spawns.

CE's spawn system.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Idea: The ability to save game films from the post game stats with the push of a button.

I like them on guns, especially when the connection becomes questionable. Helps to better identify whether that shot did or did not register. I'd actually make them register per bullet rather than per trigger pull to help track damage dealt from burst & automatic weapons a little more accurately. No need for them on grenades though.

• Upvote (+1) 4

My thought on nade hit markers has always been that it just made it easier for less aware players and players who don't use headphones. In every Halo game if you have good sound awareness, You can CLEARLY hear when someone is hurt with your nade from almost any distance that matters, especially on competitive maps. Reach and H3 especially.  

I don't know, Maybe it's just something ive always been really aware of over the last 10 years. I still barely ever noticed the hitmarkers and still just listen. My hearing is never wrong. Maybe a toggle option then? That way we could at least test and poll what people like most.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Don't cater the casuals by trying to make everything easier. Honestly the best way I could say it is go back to the roots like halo 2 and 3. Don't try to be like CoD with the classes. Add in features that don't change the game play up way to much. Focus on other stuff other than new adding "Abilities" such as making match making better, making theater mode 4 person again plus making it less laggy and making the ranks better. One thing that should be followed from Cod is the league play they have or streaming from in game. I guess since the thread says one thing it would have to be go back to the roots before anything no more AA. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

In regards to hitmarkers from grenade damage i would like to see that go, i only see it helping unaware players and random grenade chuckers. Gun hitmarkers i might not mind tho, just to let you know if you are on target, could help in laggy situations like some1 above said.

Question: Did H1 have a gunfire "hitmarker" system? I put it in quotations becuase while its not a literal hitmarker its a small sound, like weird boop or beep that i notice whenever some1 connects with a bullet. I have recently noticed this on a lot of youtube videos online, but many are PC versions so i wonder if its a PC addition.

• Upvote (+1) 3

In regards to hitmarkers from grenade damage i would like to see that go, i only see it helping unaware players and random grenade chuckers. Gun hitmarkers i might not mind tho, just to let you know if you are on target, could help in laggy situations like some1 above said.

Question: Did H1 have a gunfire "hitmarker" system? I put it in quotations becuase while its not a literal hitmarker its a small sound, like weird boop or beep that i notice whenever some1 connects with a bullet. I have recently noticed this on a lot of youtube videos online, but many are PC versions so i wonder if its a PC addition.

Halo PC had hitsounds. Tons of PC games have them.

Idk if this has been said but having the game time show up during your death screen. Really annoying in halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 6

whoa whoa whoa- we said noncontroversial.   :lxthul:

In all seriousness, I would like to see a theater mode where 1st person views for others is attainable- this would make learning from others soo much easier.  I just got beaten by heinz a couple times in rumble pit (I know I know I suck)- I would like to be able to view these games from his perspective to see what he did right- a third person view is annoying and leaves out crucial information.   Perhaps with dedicated servers on the xbox one this will become a possibility.

I dont understand what you are suggesting here. Isn't this in there now?

I can't just ask for one thing, or I will lose sleep tonight wishing I had asked for something else instead...

1) Three or four Forge World style canvas each with 10 different palettes to select from for greater variety, not a greater budget, just more to choose from, each palette having its own theme. And when I say palettes, I mean with items that are not blocks, but actual "things" like cement curbs, stairways, greater variety of rocks, grass objects, pebble road segments, FISH!, asphault segments, street lamps,... and keep the magnet system, just be sure to place the magnet points in the center of each edge and at every corner.

2) Control of the various spawning influencers so that I can tailor them to my map - at the very least the enemy proximity radii. But it would be nice to be able to contro the weight of the zones as well. That would be really nice.

3) Dedicated servers...

I would also add get rid of JIP but I suspect that is considered contraversial, so I won't mention it here... ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nothing about me chucking a grenade where I think an enemy is going to spawn is random. I make that decision off of the other input I have regarding the spawning system. If there would be no hitmarkers, I would have wasted a grenade without knowing anything of it. With the lack of grenades in H4 and lack of potency as well, using a nade as an essential "long-arm" or "feeler" seems like a perfectly reasonable strategy. It means not placing myself in a shitty position while information I get from that nade can then be relayed to my team to narrow down possible enemy team spawns. 

Now if nades in H5 were alot stronger and could kill by just standing on them, then maybe I would reconsider nade markers. This also has to do with the size of maps as well. Smaller maps don't necessarily require nade prodding, although I do it alot on Skyline so that point doesn't really hold alot of water.

Regardless, allowing players to utilize visual as well as audio cues is a huge deal. It brings the community together. Adding those visual elements allows the casual to dive into playlists that they would otherwise get destroyed in because of their inability to sound-whore/listen. I myself don't have a good headset, and I've had to make due. People tend to take having a good headset for granted most of the time.

Flood? Is that controversial? I love and miss fighting them personally, the new enemies ain't really doin it for me. I always dug the "zombies in space" vibe that The Flood gave off in the games.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My thought on nade hit markers has always been that it just made it easier for less aware players and players who don't use headphones. In every Halo game if you have good sound awareness, You can CLEARLY hear when someone is hurt with your nade from almost any distance that matters, especially on competitive maps. Reach and H3 especially.

I don't know, Maybe it's just something ive always been really aware of over the last 10 years. I still barely ever noticed the hitmarkers and still just listen. My hearing is never wrong. Maybe a toggle option then? That way we could at least test and poll what people like most.

You don't even need headphones. Its pretty clear ugh coming from the TV.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

You don't even need headphones. Its pretty clear ugh coming from the TV.

I used to play H3 without sound period. I can see where they're coming from with the nade hitmarkers, but I still don't like them now that I've played competitively and have that mindset. When I was just a pub stomper back in H3, I think I would have really liked the nade hitmarkers. I still like the weapon hitmarkers, at least for the precision weapons, but the nade hitmarkers need to go. 

• Upvote (+1) 1