CyReN

NCAA Football Thread

Because you're using past behavior as a predictor for this season. They don't relate.

The teams that get it done week in and week out deserve to go. It's that simple. FSU and OSU have got it done this year. We have no clue how an Urban Meyer coached OSU will perform against anyone in a bowl game.

How has Missouri, Auburn, and Alabama not done "it" week in and week out? One loss in the SEC is a better indicator of an elite team than no losses in the Big 10. If you make the claim that the BCS championship game is between the top two teams, then you cannot make the claim that the top SEC team does not deserve to be there. Because everybody knows that the top SEC team is one of the top two teams.

If we decide solely on the basis of W/L without taking the schedule into account, how is that beneficial to the sport? Are we encouraging "top" teams like Ohio State to litter their schedule with pathetic non-conference teams and play in a subpar conference? Are we going to put NIU in the championship discussion because they're undefeated as well?

The fact of the matter is that the BCS championship should be between the top two teams in college football. Ohio State isn't one of them.

• Downvote (-1) 1

How has Missouri, Auburn, and Alabama not done "it" week in and week out? One loss in the SEC is a better indicator of an elite team than no losses in the Big 10. If you make the claim that the BCS championship game is between the top two teams, then you cannot make the claim that the top SEC team does not deserve to be there. Because everybody knows that the top SEC team is one of the top two teams.

If we decide solely on the basis of W/L without taking the schedule into account, how is that beneficial to the sport? Are we encouraging "top" teams like Ohio State to litter their schedule with pathetic non-conference teams and play in a subpar conference? Are we going to put NIU in the championship discussion because they're undefeated as well?

The fact of the matter is that the BCS championship should be between the top two teams in college football. Ohio State isn't one of them.

So does the Bama win alone, 1 win over a team the people know is worth a damn make Auburn way more deserving than Ohio State? I'd make the argument that their schedule hasn't been much tougher. 

I'd be happier if you tried to make an argument for the transplant Big 12 team that people now care about and say is worthy competition because they're in the all might SEC name Missouri. 

We aren't basing it completely off of win/lose. We are basing it on the fact that OSU has handled their business in a conference worthy of them being given a shot. Just like FSU who has played absolutely no one, but Clemson. Why aren't you throwing them under the bus? Shouldn't they be in the same spot as OSU getting thrown out for the only conference worth a damn, supposedly? 

Who are the top 2 teams though? Are Auburn or Mizzou really better than Alabama? I just watched Auburn pull out two of luckiest wins in back to back weeks I've possibly ever seen. What makes you believe Ohio State or Florida couldn't hang with any of them when you have absolutely no proof that they couldn't? You're trying to give a SEC team a spot in the table of past performances in bowl games, but that shouldn't and isn't a determining factor this year. It's just you being biased toward that conference. Which is fine, but writing off OSU and not FSU, or not really looking at who Auburn has played and how they've won this year is unfair. 

FSU has played Clemson and miami who were both in top 10 and crapped on them. Maryland was in top 25 and we beat them 63-0....  Average margin of victory is 42.5 points.

You heard it here first folks, BCS Top 5 is gonna be:

1. FSU

2. OSU

3. Auburn

4. Bama

5. Missou

Then OSU is gonna lose to Michigan state, while mizzou beats auburn in SEC Championship to catapult bama back into Title game.

Just a wild guess lol.

This would be the perfect year for the playoff system.

FSU, OSU, Bama, winner of Auburn/Mizzou

Idk if I can handle an Iron Bowl rematch. This stress level in this state is RIDICULOUS during IB weeks. Definitely the best rivalry in sports

• Downvote (-1) 2

I'd make the argument that their schedule hasn't been much tougher.

O7SvZ.gif

Did you actually type this making a straight face?

I absolutely did

Ohio State only played two ranked teams. And one of them proved to be totally awful.

There literally isn't even a valid argument here.

If Ohio State played in the SEC they would have at least 3 losses.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ohio State only played two ranked teams. And one of them proved to be totally awful.

There literally isn't even a valid argument here.

If Ohio State played in the SEC they would have at least 3 losses.

And Auburn beat Alabama. Outside of that they played quite a few teams that were suppose to be top tier and proved not to be AND lost to a LSU team that has proven to be very inconsistent and not nearly as good as past versions. 

You have no evidence at all for saying they would have 3 losses. Just how you feel. That's fine, but isn't how you build an argument. 

auburn would beat ohio state though lol

Shut up, you thought Florida would be good this season. 

right and you thought Oregon State would win Pac 12. 

Who cares what we thought then, all we know NOW is that Auburn, Alabama, and Missouri have played tougher schedules than Ohio State, and it's NOT EVEN CLOSE. 

Everybody talks about how the 4 team playoff should be this year, well guess what.. it was!!!

#4 Auburn beat #1 Alabama, which means they earned the right to play #2 FSU in the National Championship game. 

Ohio st- opp record 65-79, 6 of 12 opp played bowl eligible, only 1 on whole schedule in top 25(wisc-21)

Auburn- opp record 78-66, 9 of 12 opp bowl eligible, 4 in top 25(beat greatest team God ever created)

Missouri- opp record 77-67, 8 of 12 opp bowl eligible, 3 in top 25

• Upvote (+1) 1

right and you thought Oregon State would win Pac 12. 

Who cares what we thought then, all we know NOW is that Auburn, Alabama, and Missouri have played tougher schedules than Ohio State, and it's NOT EVEN CLOSE. 

Everybody talks about how the 4 team playoff should be this year, well guess what.. it was!!!

#4 Auburn beat #1 Alabama, which means they earned the right to play #2 FSU in the National Championship game. 

LOL I might have joked about Oregon State, but I knew that team was far from a contender in the Pac-12. Our defense and O-line are just terrible. 

FSU's schedule is ranked behind OSU this season when it comes to SOS, so why aren't you making an argument that they should be out? Why isn't it even close? What are you basing that off of? 

Sounds like you've just been watching too much ESPN again GPOT. 

So you think Ohio State goes undefeated with an SEC schedule? Anybody really think that? and nobody is even talking about how FSUs best player could possibly NOT EVEN PLAY in the title game... what happens then? Ohio State beats another lousy team, and has almost as laughable as a schedule as Northern Illinois. 

So you think Ohio State goes undefeated with an SEC schedule? Anybody really think that? and nobody is even talking about how FSUs best player could possibly NOT EVEN PLAY in the title game... what happens then? Ohio State beats another lousy team, and has almost as laughable as a schedule as Northern Illinois. 

I don't know what Ohio State would have done in the SEC. 

Just like I don't know what Auburn or FSU or BAMA or any other school would have done somewhere else. 

What happens when UofO and Stanford blast whatever teams they play. Are we going to look back and realize we should have been making arguments for them?

This is why this system sucks. We hardly ever know who should go or who the best team is. It's an absolute crap shoot. 

I don't know what Ohio State would have done in the SEC. 

Just like I don't know what Auburn or FSU or BAMA or any other school would have done somewhere else. 

What happens when UofO and Stanford blast whatever teams they play. Are we going to look back and realize we should have been making arguments for them?

This is why this system sucks. We hardly ever know who should go or who the best team is. It's an absolute crap shoot. 

Just imagine playing Miss St., Ole Miss, LSU, UGA, TAMU, and Bama every year. 

3 of those teams are in the conversation to go to the NCG every preseason (TAMU was this year too) for a reason. 

OSU's schedule is a joke. They would go 8-4 in the SEC. 

Just ask Brett Beilema. The guy that went to the Rose Bowl a billion times took a sub-par Arkansas team and made it AWFUL. He was bashing the SEC last year and is now 0-8 in the conference. 

I forsee Oregon AND Bama losing a game and Ohio St. falling into the title game against FSU

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just imagine playing Miss St., Ole Miss, LSU, UGA, TAMU, and Bama every year. 

3 of those teams are in the conversation to go to the NCG every preseason (TAMU was this year too) for a reason. 

OSU's schedule is a joke. They would go 8-4 in the SEC. 

Just ask Brett Beilema. The guy that went to the Rose Bowl a billion times took a sub-par Arkansas team and made it AWFUL. He was bashing the SEC last year and is now 0-8 in the conference. 

1 of those teams is worth a damn this year. The others have massively underperformed if you look at expectations. 

Any other year I would most likely be in agreement with you guys, but the SEC is down this year especially on the defensive side of the ball. Not to mention how hard injuries hit a few of the teams. It just wasn't the SEC everyone was predicting. Half the teams just underperformed. 

How could you say the SEC is having a down year? The top 3 teams are incredible. Missouri, which nobody talks about... would be undefeated right now if they had their Qb in the one game they lost. Then you have Auburn who lost at death valley, which is not an easy place to win games. It's honestly better to me than it usually is, that's why none of them were able to go undefeated. 

He's got to be trolling, don't even bother. Every analyst seems to agree that the Big 10 is the worst it has been in quite some time. That is saying something since the majority of analysts have degrees from Big 10 schools. Meanwhile, the SEC has many of the top teams (Bama, Auburn, Mizzou, S. Carolina, LSU, Texas A&M). Not agreeing that Ohio State would not lose more than one game in the SEC west is just delusional. There is a reason why Ohio State always gets stomped (ala, not even closeee) when they face an SEC team in the BCS championship. Strength of schedule has to matter. If it doesn't, then NIU deserves the practically the same shot as Ohio State. They both played irrelevant national teams.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If the playoff system started next year and 1 plays 4, and 2 plays 3... they will have had only a taste of that this year, because now 2 vs 3 is the national championship game, and Auburn gets screwed. That's the only way I see it. 

Auburn will destroy UCF, Missouri will destroy Northern Illinois, and Alabama will probably curb stomp Oklahoma State.

Meanwhile, we get to wait to see FSU sans Jameis play Ohio freaking State in the "National Championship".

WHAT. A. JOKE. 

• Upvote (+1) 1