CyReN

NCAA Football Thread

<----- New avi, thoughts?

I don't know about FSU being number 1, but I do think Oregon is overrated. Hard to 'overrate' a back to back defending champion but bama did seem to struggle against TAMU. I honestly am more surprised at how FSU's defense has stepped up rather than Jameis. Jameis is a stud but our D has been solid this year. Its crazy to think that Jameis and Coker (back up QB) were both in contention for the starting spot up until the last week of spring practice. Means Coker must be pretty solid too. I could see him leaving considering he would be behind Jameis for 4 years.

I would put FSU at 2 for now, until I see Bama play another solid opponent I cant say they are bad considering they are back to back champs and 3 out last 4 champs.

Meh... FSU's performance against Clemson put them at no. 1 for me and if they can win out against Miami, Florida, and ACCCG (VT probably) they will no doubt be number 1.

Oregon MANHANDLED a top 10 UCLA. The Stanford game will decide their season 

Not saying Bama is BAD but they are not the best in the nation THIS YEAR. Yes they are back to back champs but thats not this year. Bama's one big game was against TAMU and they BARELY won. I would absolutely put them in my top 3 but NOT number 1. 

Not speaking from a biased standpoint either

Edit: I also want to FSU to win out because I do NOT want us to play them in the Sugar Bowl ;) 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Meh... FSU's performance against Clemson put them at no. 1 for me and if they can win out against Miami, Florida, and ACCCG (VT probably) they will no doubt be number 1.

Oregon MANHANDLED a top 10 UCLA. The Stanford game will decide their season 

Not saying Bama is BAD but they are not the best in the nation THIS YEAR. Yes they are back to back champs but thats not this year. Bama's one big game was against TAMU and they BARELY won. I would absolutely put them in my top 3 but NOT number 1. 

Not speaking from a biased standpoint either

Edit: I also want to FSU to win out because I do NOT want us to play them in the Sugar Bowl ;)

I think FSU are easily number 2 and yeah you have a point. If BAMA lose to someone then we might be seeing an FSU vs oregon matchup which would be pretty awesome if you ask me. Not only would it mean the end of the SEC dominance (at least for a year) but it would be two high powered offenses in action. Would be pretty fun to see.

I would hate for there to be three undefeated teams and one not make it to the big dance. So im hoping someone loses (not FSU) so its pretty clear cut who is gonna go.

It's odd how OSU could go 13-0, and with that have a 25 game win streak, and be passed over for the national title.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would hate for there to be three undefeated teams and one not make it to the big dance. So im hoping someone loses (not FSU) so its pretty clear cut who is gonna go.

04' Auburn says hi.

We went into the season unranked, and came out undefeated with one of the top 5 hardest schedules and the top defense in the country. We were ranked 3rd behind Oklahoma and USC in the final BCS poll.

Went on to man handle VT in the Sugar Bowl and watch OU get absolutely slaughtered in the NCG.

Not saying we would have won, but we would have made it a good game.

So, in a nutshell, polls put too much emphasis on what has happened in past seasons rather what is currently going on.

The first wave of rankings should come out around 4-5 because all preseason polls are are guesses at who is going to be good THIS year based off of what happened at the end of LAST year, and sometimes they can end up screwing a team up late in the season. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Worst defensive plan I have ever seen from my Canes. They needed to load the box and believe in their DBs, but instead FSU converts on who knows how many 3rd & 10+ yards, and the tacklers show up with butter on their fingers. 

FSU can be beat, but Miami isn't the team that can do it; we have no pass rush, and we're terrified by Jameis (as shown by the fact that our safeties were always 40 fucking yards back, and I never saw our DBs get in the FSU receivers face on the line of scrimmage).

FSU will be 13-0, and they will be in Pasadena. But FSU fans shouldn't get cocky because Alabama will be waiting, and they're the team that can beat them.

FSU is great, but lets face it... they might jump Oregon this week, but beating ACC schools and UF at the end of the year will not be enough to stop Oregon from jumping them with wins over Oregon State and Stanford.

Thats what I was thinking to porter, if Oregon wins out they will play in title game sadly. Im hoping stanford can handle them next week. not the best of games from Jameis but he didnt have to do much of anything in the second half with that running game. The combo of Freeman, wilder Jr, and karlos Williams in the backfield is nasty. Speed, strength, and then speed and strength lol. I love the way karlos williams and wilder jr run - they arent scared to lower their shoulder and level someone! Freeman is crazy fast too.

Three gimme games (hopefully) then Florida at the end of the year. Probably Miami in ACCCG too. Undefeated and hopefully prepping for Bama but only time will tell!

I'm just glad Ohio State isn't ridiculously overrated to the point where they would be the ones who have to lose. lol

I feel that if Oregon gets in, they deserve to be there. So does FSU but you've got to admit Oregon deserves a shot as well. It sucks the playoff format isn't in place THIS year, because the top 4 teams could be undefeated when the regular season ends. 

I'm just glad Ohio State isn't ridiculously overrated to the point where they would be the ones who have to lose. lol

I feel that if Oregon gets in, they deserve to be there. So does FSU but you've got to admit Oregon deserves a shot as well. It sucks the playoff format isn't in place THIS year, because the top 4 teams could be undefeated when the regular season ends. 

That would be an awesome way to start the playoff, knowing college football this year would be perfect for the playoff but next year will be crappy and controversial like every team has 1 loss or something lol

Dont worry boys! AU will beat bama (hopefully) at home in the Iron Bowl, allowing for the 2 best teams to play ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol I dont mind Bama, one of my good friends throughout college is a Bama fan and his grandad was a representative for his district at the state level, so he got box seats a lot and he took me to the Bama vs. LSU game in Tuscaloosa my freshman year so that would have been 2009 season. Pretty fun game I think Bama won 24-15 or something. It was fun.

All of that to say, if it has to be Bama losing for FSU to get to the title game then so be it lol. I just want to see FSU get there!

Mini-rant here that nobody but me will care about but oh well

We(VT) suck this year, but some calls against us are just ridiculous. The biggest example was last game against BC. It was 3rd and 6 at about the BC 43. It was towards the end of the game(about 4ish minutes left) and we were down 7. Thomas(our QB) threw to a crossing route underneath that was incomplete, but there was a flag for PI which gave us a first down. However, they reviewed the play to see if the pass was tipped(thus meaning it was not PI) and they overturned the call saying it was tipped thus making it 4th down, We missed the next pass, turned it over on downs, and on the very next play the BC running back broke a 60 yard TD run to put the game out of reach for us.

What was so bad about that call was that the pass wasn't tipped. It literally wasn't even close. In today's culture when someone uses the term "not even close", it is really an exaggeration and it actually is close, but just not exactly. This play was LITERALLY not even close. Here is the play in question

How could they say this was a tipped pass you may ask? The only explanation is the one angle they kept showing on TV. This angle was from behind the defender and at one point it looked like his hand was near the ball, but apparently the review officials have zero depth perception because the ball was 5 yards past the defender in this shot(will try to update with angle once I find it)

In reality, it was probably just a makeup call cause PI probably shouldnt have been called in the first place, but you have to draw a line somewhere, making up very obvious calls is unjust

/rant

Mini-rant here that nobody but me will care about but oh well

We(VT) suck this year, but some calls against us are just ridiculous. The biggest example was last game against BC. It was 3rd and 6 at about the BC 43. It was towards the end of the game(about 4ish minutes left) and we were down 7. Thomas(our QB) threw to a crossing route underneath that was incomplete, but there was a flag for PI which gave us a first down. However, they reviewed the play to see if the pass was tipped(thus meaning it was not PI) and they overturned the call saying it was tipped thus making it 4th down, We missed the next pass, turned it over on downs, and on the very next play the BC running back broke a 60 yard TD run to put the game out of reach for us.

What was so bad about that call was that the pass wasn't tipped. It literally wasn't even close. In today's culture when someone uses the term "not even close", it is really an exaggeration and it actually is close, but just not exactly. This play was LITERALLY not even close. Here is the play in question

How could they say this was a tipped pass you may ask? The only explanation is the one angle they kept showing on TV. This angle was from behind the defender and at one point it looked like his hand was near the ball, but apparently the review officials have zero depth perception because the ball was 5 yards past the defender in this shot(will try to update with angle once I find it)

In reality, it was probably just a makeup call cause PI probably shouldnt have been called in the first place, but you have to draw a line somewhere, making up very obvious calls is unjust

/rant

welcome to college football.

On the "missed horse collar" play that ESPN freaked out about when AU beat TAMU, everyone failed to mention the two missed holding calls on THAT EXACT PLAY.

04' Auburn says hi.

We went into the season unranked, and came out undefeated with one of the top 5 hardest schedules and the top defense in the country. We were ranked 3rd behind Oklahoma and USC in the final BCS poll.

Went on to man handle VT in the Sugar Bowl and watch OU get absolutely slaughtered in the NCG.

So, in a nutshell, polls put too much emphasis on what has happened in past seasons rather what is currently going on.

The first wave of rankings should come out around 4-5 because all preseason polls are are guesses at who is going to be good THIS year based off of what happened at the end of LAST year, and sometimes they can end up screwing a team up late in the season. 

Look on the bright side, that was one of the most eye-opening years for the BCS. It really refreshed all the hate on the system. There was constant talk of possible playoffs the next year and it never really stopped. Boise State was the next one, and the Alabama-LSU "that last game didn't count" match was the final straw. 2004 Auburn was screwed over, but it wasn't wasted. We're getting a 4-team playoff next year and hopefully an 8-team playoff eventually.

RIP 2004 Auburn, 2009 Boise State, and 2011 LSU.

Never Forget.

Look on the bright side, that was one of the most eye-opening years for the BCS. It really refreshed all the hate on the system. There was constant talk of possible playoffs the next year and it never really stopped. Boise State was the next one, and the Alabama-LSU "that last game didn't count" match was the final straw. 2004 Auburn was screwed over, but it wasn't wasted. We're getting a 4-team playoff next year and hopefully an 8-team playoff eventually.

RIP 2004 Auburn, 2009 Boise State, and 2011 LSU. 2013 FSU

Never Forget.

Edited for you lol. LETS GO STANFORD

I forsee Oregon AND Bama losing a game and Ohio St. falling into the title game against FSU

It would be cool to see FSU vs. Oregon, but idk if Bama is gonna lose.... they have looked like a well oiled machine since TAMU, but to be fair they havent played anyone since TAMU so it should be interesting this weekend. Some big games, Oregon vs Stanford, Bama vs. LSU, Baylor vs. Oklahoma!

This was one of the best games I attended during college. It was cold and raining the entire time but it was a blast

lets hope we can pull it together and pull off the upset saturday(not gonna hold my breath)

04' Auburn says hi.

Manhandled VT? You guys won by 3.

Oklahoma that year had only allowed 6 points in it's last three games, so they were playing incredibly well prior to the BCSNCG.

USC on the other hand was out of this world that year, so tbh I think that game would of gone the same way whether or not it Oklahoma or Auburn as the opponent against USC. 

Manhandled VT? You guys won by 3.

I was going to mention that. To their credit, they WERE manhandling us through 3 quarters, but we almost came back

LSU vs BAMA

who you got your money on? I got LSU. I like Mettenberger

I would say Bama, but this is the first big test they have had since TAMU so idk. Wouldnt mind it if they lost just bc that give FSU an inside chance of the title game.

I would rather Oregon lose and Bama stay undefeated bc I wanna see if Famous Jameis is the man to slay the SEC dragon and take the 8 straight years of SEC dominance away.... would be a cool storyline IMO.