Halo 4 campaign was the worst of the series. Take out the cutscenes and what do you have? Nothing. No depth, zero ounce of epicness. Lets be honest, why are we having this discussion?

It's all stupid, to me.

If I went step by step back through the Halo 4 campaign, it would be so easy to snipe at every thing they did wrong with it on a narrative level, and then correlate to how it fails on a video game narrative level as well. The only real thing they did right was the first mission (except for the obvious WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT ARMOR COME FROM AND WHY DIDN'T HE USE IT BEFORE?)

ITP: We gonna pretend that Halo 3's campaign never existed. Also, his armor is exactly the same. It's the MKV or MKVI, idk, but from what 343i said, it's their own version of the armor aka artistic liberties.

There's much more, but that's the gist of the major things.

The issue of "required reading" is that there should be no such thing. Details should not necessarily all be present within the game (because I don't care about how many flux capacitors it takes to make a Monitor fly) but the supporting details of a plot should all be present and presented in such a way that the viewer/player is not left with that "wait, what?" feeling. Supporting paraphernalia should be just that: supporting. If a plot requires it to stand on, then it's a weak plot and thus garbage.

See:  Halo 2, Halo 3

The major problem with Halo 4's plot was that it couldn't decide which was the plot we were going with. We kept bouncing back and forth between Save Cortana and Save The World, and not in a good way. Hell, they could have taken that as Chief's moral dilemma of "Do I save Cortana, or do I save the majority percent?" but they didn't even do that.

-That's the point, he was supposed to fail. Master Chief has one special ability, and it's called being lucky. This is something Bungie has been pushing since The Fall Of Reach book.

The Chosen One bullshit comes up and effectively makes Master Chief space Jesus, only in an entirely unbelievable way (MY BLOODLINE'S GREATEST GENETIC FEATURE WAS THAT WE WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO REACH THIS POINT, SEVERAL MILLION YEARS LATER).

- He was always the chosen one. Just look at all the religious refrences in Bungie's Halo game.

And the Didact's super weapon isn't really explained, nor do we see or feel its destruction. Giant death laser? Anyone and everyone can understand that and can see the results of its destruction. 

giphy.gif

Something that scans and absorbs humans specifically? They shoehorned in some doctor (that i feel we were supposed to care about, but don't) to be the displayed casualty, sure, but we still don't know the scope or function of the damn thing, either. And then it targets Earth for whatever reason because Earth is special.

-We do see the destruction. Just play Spartan Ops, or look at the ending when Didact is giving his speech. He composed New Phoenix, just because he wanted more Promethean warriors .

And yet there's so much more.

I mean, it had some great sensationalism. The "acting" and environments were believable and alien and "Wow!" But even if you have someone wholeheartedly explain that 2+2=5 in a sincere fashion, anyone with a brain could still say "No, you moron. 2+2=4. You're just wrong. Go away."

"The plot was in twelve different directions, The plot was dropped every direction change.

-This isn't the first time we see a plot with more than one storyline in it.

• You got the Didact's story
  • Cortana dying
  • Master Chief trying to save everyone

Captain of Infinity is the obvious dick who has no other personality or purpose other than to be antagonistic for no reason and be superseded by his XO.

-He was designed to be a dick.

Master Chief becomes the Chosen One.

-Again, MC has been the "One" for a while now. H4 just focuses on that much more than the other games.

The Protheans Forerunners made a super weapon that is virtually the same as the synthesis ending of Mass Effect 3, except worse. Promethean super weapon causes havoc that no one actually sees or understands, in-game.

Read my other post. What's so difficult of understand that the Composers turn living beings into Promthean Warriors?

Obvious death of the Emperor Didact is obviously not real.

Maybe you're just trying your hardest to hate on H4's campaign, but I doubt anyone is full potato to assume he died. MC knocked him out with a pulse nade (basically an EMP), and he fell into the composer (he's immune to it) that had a portal leading to Requiem.

Reunion with Cortana is impossible unexplained and fairly obviously not when she dies. WHAT WAS MASTER CHIEF EVEN DOING AT THE END?

-You mean in the final mission where Cortana (who already was inside the ship's system) saved Chief by using the hard light (Yes, this exist in the Halo universe) bridge he was standing on, turning it into a bubble shield, and using her last bit of energy to make a human sized version of herself to say goodbye to him??

Did I mention that THERE'S A TANK THAT CANNOT SHOOT WITHOUT THE USE OF A HANDHELD LASER POINTER, EVEN WHEN THE DESIGNATED TARGET IS FUCKING GINORMUS?"

-Gameplay, nothing else.

Halo 4 campaign was the worst of the series. Take out the cutscenes and what do you have? Nothing. No depth, zero ounce of epicness. Lets be honest, why are we having this discussion?

Lol what kind of logic is that? Remove all the cutscenes from any game, and you'll have nothing...just random missions.

There are only like 1 or 2 mission in each game were you can enjoy it without looking at the story.

Halo 3 had the worst story, and it's not even bad..it's just meh (and full of plotholes).

It's a shame the community's dislike for 343i's vision of multiplayer bleeds into 343i's management of the lore. Entirely different people from multiplayer work on the lore. And they've done a lot better than the multiplayer team. It's the reason why I'm still inclined to buy H5. Not for the multiplayer, but the story. Especially if it has something like SPOPs again.

It's a shame the community's dislike for 343i's vision of multiplayer bleeds into 343i's management of the lore. Entirely different people from multiplayer work on the lore. And they've done a lot better than the multiplayer team. It's the reason why I'm still inclined to buy H5. Not for the multiplayer, but the story. Especially if it has something like SPOPs again.

I agree.

343i has been much better than Bungie when it comes to the lore department.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I wish I enjoyed Halo enough to look into it's lore and stories. I probably would enjoy these later games a bit then.

Lol what kind of logic is that?

Simple logic actually. Is the immersion still there once all cutscenes are taken away? The best thing about that games story mode was the brilliant cinematics. All the previous Halos kept you glued to the story even after the cutscene was over. I didn't feel the same way in Halo 4. 

For example, in Halo 1, the part where Cortana is talking to Foehammer on the radio as her dropship is streaming by on fire. That was so epic yet very very simple. You didn't see anything like that in H4. Nothing as gripping. And that was only ONE of MANY things that happened in that game. 

One of my favorite moments in all of video games is when Master Chief unlocks the flood room and sees blood everywhere along with a helmet of a fallen marine then has to fight his way out despite the wave after wave of infected enemies AND allies.

I wish I enjoyed Halo enough to look into it's lore and stories. I probably would enjoy these later games a bit then.

I am exactly like @@Faeyrin It's one of the MAIN reasons I've stayed all these years and keep buying the games. It's probably the ONLY reason I'm getting Halo 5. The story has me hooked and a fan for life.

Simple logic actually. Is the immersion still there once all cutscenes are taken away? The best thing about that games story mode was the brilliant cinematics. All the previous Halos kept you glued to the story even after the cutscene was over. I didn't feel the same way in Halo 4. 

For example, in Halo 1, the part where Cortana is talking to Foehammer on the radio as her dropship is streaming by on fire. That was so epic yet very very simple. You didn't see anything like that in H4. Nothing as gripping. And that was only ONE of MANY things that happened in that game. 

The Composer being ripped out from the science base on Installation 03 was downright traumatic. Not a cutscene.

One of my favorite moments in all of video games is when Master Chief unlocks the flood room and sees blood everywhere along with a helmet of a fallen marine then has to fight his way out despite the wave after wave of infected enemies AND allies.

This is a cutscene..

I am exactly like @@Faeyrin It's one of the MAIN reasons I've stayed all these years and keep buying the games. It's probably the ONLY reason I'm getting Halo 5. The story has me hooked and a fan for life.

Tbh, I don't even know what you're talking about. You're talking about epic gameplay moments in the campaign?  I think Midnight and Reclaimer were really good missions.

Edit: Lol'd @ the neg.  Bungie was never focused on the lore as 343i is, deal with it.

• Downvote (-1) 2

You can make arguments about Halo 4's campaign and how it was good but at the end of the day the gameplay was subpar. Gunplay and general feel seemed off and it's what's most important as it's where the replay value is at.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's much more, but that's the gist of the major things.

The issue of "required reading" is that there should be no such thing. Details should not necessarily all be present within the game (because I don't care about how many flux capacitors it takes to make a Monitor fly) but the supporting details of a plot should all be present and presented in such a way that the viewer/player is not left with that "wait, what?" feeling. Supporting paraphernalia should be just that: supporting. If a plot requires it to stand on, then it's a weak plot and thus garbage.

I don't disagree, except for calling it "weak". Esoteric, maybe.

The major problem with Halo 4's plot was that it couldn't decide which was the plot we were going with. We kept bouncing back and forth between Save Cortana and Save The World, and not in a good way. Hell, they could have taken that as Chief's moral dilemma of "Do I save Cortana, or do I save the majority percent?" but they didn't even do that. 

I never saw it as a dilemma or bouncing. Chief was trying to save Cortana, then Didact came along, and then both him and Cortana realized stopping him was a greater priority. But fixing Cortana was still a goal.

The Chosen One bullshit comes up and effectively makes Master Chief space Jesus, only in an entirely unbelievable way (MY BLOODLINE'S GREATEST GENETIC FEATURE WAS THAT WE WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO REACH THIS POINT, SEVERAL MILLION YEARS LATER).

That had been alluded to since CE. Or, the novel of it. When he activates a light bridge for the first time it notes that he was unsure why he knew how to do it.

And the Didact's super weapon isn't really explained, nor do we see or feel its destruction. Giant death laser? Anyone and everyone can understand that and can see the results of its destruction. 

giphy.gif

Something that scans and absorbs humans specifically? They shoehorned in some doctor (that i feel we were supposed to care about, but don't) to be the displayed casualty, sure, but we still don't know the scope or function of the damn thing, either. And then it targets Earth for whatever reason because Earth is special.

The Composer is actually explained fairly well in the terminals, and then in the novels as well. It's definitely not some silly anti-human lazer of death.

And yet there's so much more.

I mean, it had some great sensationalism. The "acting" and environments were believable and alien and "Wow!" But even if you have someone wholeheartedly explain that 2+2=5 in a sincere fashion, anyone with a brain could still say "No, you moron. 2+2=4. You're just wrong. Go away."

1. When it comes to plots like this, it being "esoteric" makes it weak. It's a presentation. You don't force your audience to have researched everything before hand just to understand it unless it's particularly aimed at such an audience that has prior knowledge. Given that it's a AAA "blockbuster" video game title, the target audience is heavily unlikely to be "specialized," and thus major supporting details must be made available within the presentation as needed. I mean, you don't need to assume that everyone is clueless, you just need to ensure the enough detail is provided for the plot to stand on its own. Which, in Halo 4's case, it doesn't accomplish this. 

I mean, I understand that you understand that it's a bad practice, but I'm not going to pull punches on how bad it is on a narrative level.

2. Except it's just dropped. Chief seems worried, but there's no discussion, no "Sorry, this is more important." No exposition. No development. No conflict as a result of attachment versus duty. Nothing. These are all flaws in the plot, because Chief had shown great concern about her well-being and had gone so far as to be insubordinate to a Naval officer. And yet he just drops it. The emotional tension that could have been just wasn't exploited. And that doesn't make sense from a narrative perspective. Understand something, this is a story. Something that isn't set in stone (assuming the lack of retcons in that notion), something that they literally can do whatever they want with (again, assuming they pay attention to their own universe). If they didn't write it in a way that takes advantage of the themes and conflicts present, then it's bad writing because it's lost potential. It calls into question a why that leaves the experience feeling a certain lack of closure or expression. And this is all important in writing a story.

3. The allusion that there is correlation between humans and the Forerunners AKA the ancient super civilization trope (which isn't a bad thing, by the way) is different to the insane contention that, especially assuming a lack of a supernatural presence (because thus far everything has been relatively explainable through use of advanced tech, not through faith or something of that sort, and has, in fact, subverted the idea of the supernatural through the Covenant and the misconceptions in their beliefs between their idea of ascension and the actuality of mass galaxy wide extermination in desperation), the Master Chief is some Chosen One who's bloodline has survived hundreds, if not thousands, of generations of war, chaos, and (most of all) death. It's just incredibly unlikely and unbelievable, and thus does not suspend disbelief well enough in-universe. And don't say "luck." Luck isn't some genetic characteristic, and, even it somehow is, how is that? What perpetuates it? How does it function, practically? Can we bottle it? 

4. Explanation is nice. As far as I know, it's been explained why it was made and what it can do. But what does that mean? What is the scope? Can we see it? You know, something that could truly show us the horror of it? How about it kill someone who's important to us, as a player? I know there's not a whole lot of options in that, but that's something that could have easily been established within the game. I don't care about Dr. Whatsherface because don't know her. To me, she's some random NPC. There's no emotional attachment other than she knows who I am apparently. 

The thing about Star Wars, I may not have cared about Alderaan in particular, but they had someone who did. Alderaan was even a plot objective for the majority of the protagonists, which gave it importance and impact when it was destroyed. And we got to see the reaction of someone who was familiar with the planet and was willing to lie and throw them off its course to maybe attack and blow up some other planet. And, more importantly, we got to see what the Death Star did, first hand. The scope was easily recognized: it blew up a fucking planet. Mind you, I think, as an idea, the planet lasted 20 minutes or so in the movie. But that's just an example of a power display done right. And it was done in one installment.

Doctor Mcfuckherself was a nobody, we saw a group of 20 or so people die, so it doesn't feel necessarily lethal (even though we're told that it is). The only thing they did right about it was allowing us to see, in a detailed sequence, what it does to a single person. I mean, it's not deadly to us as a player, because plot device (and, honestly, it should have been something that was lethal to us at some point to really drive home the horror it had. You know, because gameplay loves that shit.) And, when it's finally leveled at Earth (why, I don't know. Or don't remember. I mean Earth in particular) there's nothing to show us that THIS-IS-SOMETHING-WE-MUST-STOP-NOW-IN-A-HASTY-MANNER. Hell, they could have patched a live report from a camera or something in a cutscene. There's nothing really prompting me to feel anything about what's happening. I mean, I'm told people are dying, but I'm not personally experiencing it in any way, so it's very detached.

Also, they found a Halo. You know, that thing that thus far has been an object of utmost importance? Yeah, they just introduce one as if it's nothing. It's just there. As a background piece. And explanation as to why something like the Composer would be there. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

ITP: We gonna pretend that Halo 3's campaign never existed. Also, his armor is exactly the same. It's the MKV or MKVI, idk, but from what 343i said, it's their own version of the armor aka artistic liberties.

"The plot was in twelve different directions, The plot was dropped every direction change.

-This isn't the first time we see a plot with more than one storyline in it.

• You got the Didact's story
  • Cortana dying
  • Master Chief trying to save everyone

Captain of Infinity is the obvious dick who has no other personality or purpose other than to be antagonistic for no reason and be superseded by his XO.

-He was designed to be a dick.

Master Chief becomes the Chosen One.

-Again, MC has been the "One" for a while now. H4 just focuses on that much more than the other games.

The Protheans Forerunners made a super weapon that is virtually the same as the synthesis ending of Mass Effect 3, except worse. Promethean super weapon causes havoc that no one actually sees or understands, in-game.

Read my other post. What's so difficult of understand that the Composers turn living beings into Promthean Warriors?

Obvious death of the Emperor Didact is obviously not real.

Maybe you're just trying your hardest to hate on H4's campaign, but I doubt anyone is full potato to assume he died. MC knocked him out with a pulse nade (basically an EMP), and he fell into the composer (he's immune to it) that had a portal leading to Requiem.

Reunion with Cortana is impossible unexplained and fairly obviously not when she dies. WHAT WAS MASTER CHIEF EVEN DOING AT THE END?

-You mean in the final mission where Cortana (who already was inside the ship's system) saved Chief by using the hard light (Yes, this exist in the Halo universe) bridge he was standing on, turning it into a bubble shield, and using her last bit of energy to make a human sized version of herself to say goodbye to him??

Did I mention that THERE'S A TANK THAT CANNOT SHOOT WITHOUT THE USE OF A HANDHELD LASER POINTER, EVEN WHEN THE DESIGNATED TARGET IS FUCKING GINORMUS?"

-Gameplay, nothing else.

Never said Halo's plot was supposed to be rich. it's just that 343 tried making it rich ,and I'm calling them out on it. Bungie's Halo is a level by level shooter with interesting enemies and scenarios brought on by such things as the weapons and vehicles available (in theory). 343i actually tried adding narrative depth, and failed.

1. What?, No really, what? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plot_%28narrative%29

The story is the overarching environment in which the events that happen are connected. It is the sequence, and thus the time.

The plot is the collection of events that occur. It's also the why of the story. He did this because this happened.

I don't care about multiple plots. Having a story with multiple conflicts can be very rich and entertaining. Halo 4 just didn't know which one to go with, and often dropped the one that came before at the drop of a hat with little to no reaction in the setting or the characters. It doesn't feel natural, and there's a lot of missed potential.

2. I know. But they could have been subtle about it. When you are able to recognize a character's role as being something he was just fabricated for, it makes the character feel 2-dimensional. This is an error in character design. Sure, every character should have purpose, but he doesn't feel like a real person. He's just there to be a dick, and that makes him feel out of place, like if you had a mechanical toy that was supposed to look like a lion or some shit, and there was a 3 in x 3 in square cut out in his back with the mechanism that makes it function sticking out.

He no longer has any other importance other than the fact that he's a plot mechanism. It just doesn't feel right and detracts away from the narrative immersion. You know, because you're left feeling like "Whoa, there, guy. Let's talk about this."

3a. I understand what it does. We're told that. But we don't see it.

We saw the Flood turning things into zombies (maybe not within the gameplay directly until halo 3, but that's a fault of the medium).

We saw some people we don't care about get vaporized. Great, now where's the Promethean warrior with Doctor Can'trecallhername's soul in it that we have to kill?

Hell, that would have been interesting. The longer you take to stop the Composer, the more bad guys come at you. HOLY SHIT, I JUST DESEGREGATED THE GAMEPLAY AND STORY. 

3b. I'll admit that that one's a minor point, but think of it this way: the universe recognizes his death. We know he'll come back, but everyone involved in the game is all like "Welp, he's dead.' Halo 5/6, he comes back and they're all like "Oh no! How could this happen! We thought for sure that he was dead!" If you want to make a Big Bad Resurrection believable, convince the viewer/player that he's dead. And then show later how he made his cunning escape. It's called being effective in your story, because, as a writer, you're trying to invoke emotions like surprise and fear. especially if those feelings translate into months and months of people arguing over whether or not he's alive. That shit absolutely sells the sequel, not some flashy lights and gimmicks.

4. Okay, great. Um, why didn't she do something like that before? Okay, great. She threw a bunch of copies of her self at the guy, and then we almost fall of a cliff. And then the Didact frees himself. And then we get force choked again. And then he gets sniped from off screen, and he falls to his "death." And then we activate the bomb.

So she had enough power left to protect us from a nuclear explosion, and not from possibly falling or even just holding down the Didact some more. And did she teleport us into that hardlight shield? Because we were still holding onto the bomb, so it would have been kinda bad to teleport us, holding the bomb, into an enclosed space where the explosion would be rendered ineffective. 

Also, I just thought the whole goodbye thing was stupid, but that's just me. Maybe because she didn't tell us why she couldn't come back, which would have added in more tension. You can say she was running out of "energy," but I don't understand what energy is in that context. And I don't understand why, a computer program, can't just beam into the suit. Even if she was degrading fast (or whatever was happening), she could transfer into his suit. But she doesn't say why she doesn't do this, just that "It's already done." And she says "Most of me is down there." Most of what? She's software. Not a physical sort of anything. We're talking about an advanced artificial intelligence, who may be going headlong into rampancy, but I imagine that she can still execute a program with a timer. With Halo 2, she needed to stay in the system to not risk remote detonation, which is fair and makes sense because it requires an active presence. In this case, she could have said "Sorry, this is really hard for me to maintain, I have to make accurate calculations to save you," or something along those lines that's more elegant.

5. Brb, going to go put on my gameplay and story segregation glasses.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Acutally, 2 things:

1) You don't need to be in vehicles to be on the top. Just play the role designed for your kit, play the objective, and you'll be in the top.

2) Long range headshots are VERY rewarding becuase you get headshot bonuses. 10 kills with a regular rifle = 1000 points, 1 kill with a sniper from 1000m away = 1000 points on 1 shot.

1.  Yes.  This.  I have so much more respect for someone that can maintain a 2.0 KD while playing the objective than I do for the guy that goes 30-0 farming kills.  I always took a particular satisfaction in Multiteam KotH when I would get most time and still get a better K/D than the guy that baited the objective all game.

2.  Whatever satisfaction I get from 1000m headshots is negated by the fact that it took me 10 minutes to get one, and I'm totally fucking useless to my team.

Ever wonder how you'll be remembered online? I never thought about it, or cared. It's not really a thought that crosses my mind but this past week has been pretty tough for me due to the unfortunate death of the nicest guy I ever met on XBL. He was this british guy who I believe was in his 30's, who was the most positive uplifting person within the small competitive community of Monday Night Combat. If you watch my videos, you'll see/hear him in the recent ones. He goes by Gemicide, Gem the 4th, or baldlofty.

This dude was in a bad car accident that messed up his spine and had lost feeling in his legs. He wasn't in good condition as it is but he already had a pre-existing heart condition... so when they went to do surgery on his spine, they were unable to bring him out and wake him up.

What really gets me is he wrote a will to his family, and notes to his friends/important people. Then, he wrote a huge letter to the MNC community addressing his online friends and how much the game/time had meant to him. How he was going through tough times and the game was his escape. The things he wrote on his letter legit made me cry, from a guy I never met but only played with online for years. It's been about a week and it's still sinking in that I won't be seeing him again. I just think of how bad of a situation he was in while in the hospital, and despite that he specifically wrote to numerous people within the video game community incase he passed away and didn't make it. He even starts out by saying "I hope I can throw this letter away"

Shit sucks man, and I guess I just felt like venting here in OT.

Online friends are still friends. I know your feelz. It's always sad to see someone go, but it's admirable to know that something was so enjoyable and important in his life that he was willing to address you guys. I hope he rests in peace.

When I was dealing with cancer, the love and support of my online friends was almost overwhelming, almost ten-fold of what I got from real life friends and family. The messages, letters, some of you sent me stuff, it was amazing and really showed me that the online communities I participate in are more than just a small hobby. They're a large part of my life. It single-handedly sped up my recovery.

Tl;Dr you kids are pretty cool.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Bungie created the world of Halo what the hell are you smoking..

And? 3v4i has expanded the world even further.

Just because I created something and gave it to someone else because I stopped giving a fuck about it doesn't mean the other person won't do a better job than me(we're talking lore wise).

Online friends are still friends. I know your feelz. It's always sad to see someone go, but it's admirable to know that something was so enjoyable and important in his life that he was willing to address you guys. I hope he rests in peace.

When I was dealing with cancer, the love and support of my online friends was almost overwhelming, almost ten-fold of what I got from real life friends and family. The messages, letters, some of you sent me stuff, it was amazing and really showed me that the online communities I participate in are more than just a small hobby. They're a large part of my life. It single-handedly sped up my recovery.

Tl;Dr you kids are pretty cool.

I didn't know you were going through that.  Damn, I'm glad you're okay!  It's good seein' you around again.

And? 3v4i has expanded the world even further.

Just because I created something and gave it to someone else because I stopped giving a fuck about it doesn't mean the other person won't do a better job than me(we're talking lore wise).

Actually they killed it and did something else and just used the title "Halo" for their game

Are people still playing H3 on 360 or Reach MLG playlist. Im going back to 360 since MCC is dumb

I can't find any games on the MLG Reach playlist. Tried the MLG play list again after MCC ame out and i couldn't find any game.

How the hell have I never seen this before? It's honestly the hardest I've ever laughed while watching a gaming vid I think. Pure gold. 

• Upvote (+1) 6