gameplay wise I thought prometheans were decent, they were pretty much just variations of the existing covenant (this is one of the reasons why I have said before that halo becoming an RPG would make more sense, because of the class based sandbox) but overall they functioned fairly well and in comparison with other enemies (namely the flood) they really weren't that bad, I mean the bullet sponging and the killing enemies in order is no different than what you do with the covenant.

the prometheans weren't amazing or anything but I don't think they need a complete redesign, its odd that they would want to make them feel more expressive considering that they are slaves (right?) so to me them feeling robotic is kind of natural for them, as long as they don't give them human faces/models (I'm looking at you librarian) I will be happy I guess.

there's a fictional reason for the forerunners and humans looking kinda similar except for their noses and hair and height.  The forerunner trilogy goes into it.

And yes, they're slaves, but they're monsterous slaves.  They aren't supposed to seem timid or like they're just going through the motions.  But at the same time, they're also described as being keenly intelligent, with the Knights being expert battle tactitians, Watchers surveying the battle from overhead, and crawlers scouting ahead and flushing out enemies.  enemies like the Covenant more convincingly evoke their lore-based behaviors in-game.  it feels a lot more like elites are commanding grunts, and it feels more like each member of the covenant behaves in their own unique way.

I actually enjoyed fighting them too, but they definitely aren't perfectly designed.  there's a summary of a GDC talk from one of the designers that goes into a lot of detail on it, here: http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1180242

Basically, the prometheans weren't finalized until very late in the project, and they wished they'd figured them out earlier so they could have spent more time solving some of the design problems they still saw in them, and which a lot of people noticed when they first played the game.

They had a lot of really ambitious ideas for prometheans in the early stages, I hope some of it makes it into H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

there's a fictional reason for the forerunners and humans looking kinda similar except for their noses and hair and height.  The forerunner trilogy goes into it.

And yes, they're slaves, but they're monsterous slaves.  They aren't supposed to seem timid or like they're just going through the motions.  But at the same time, they're also described as being keenly intelligent, with the Knights being expert battle tactitians, Watchers surveying the battle from overhead, and crawlers scouting ahead and flushing out enemies.  enemies like the Covenant more convincingly evoke their lore-based behaviors in-game.  it feels a lot more like elites are commanding grunts, and it feels more like each member of the covenant behaves in their own unique way.

I actually enjoyed fighting them too, but they definitely aren't perfectly designed.  there's a summary of a GDC talk from one of the designers that goes into a lot of detail on it, here: http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1180242

Basically, the prometheans weren't finalized until very late in the project, and they wished they'd figured them out earlier so they could have spent more time solving some of the design problems they still saw in them, and which a lot of people noticed when they first played the game.

They had a lot of really ambitious ideas for prometheans in the early stages, I hope some of it makes it into H5.

oh you mean like how grunts have those awesome one-liners or how they change behavior from time to time? yeah I suppose that would be a nice touch but prometheans always looked like they were focused and elite killing machines more so than bundles of emotions (like the brutes or elites) so it always made sense to me, I guess I could see the nights having certain lines of dialogue but even then the dialogue would have to be directed at the player, I suppose if they looked entirely different they may make more sense acting out and everything but for the way they looked in halo 4 I think their behavior fit quite well.

what were some of the ideas that they had for them? I'll be sure to watch that link at some point when I have enough time.

oh you mean like how grunts have those awesome one-liners or how they change behavior from time to time? yeah I suppose that would be a nice touch but prometheans always looked like they were focused and elite killing machines more so than bundles of emotions (like the brutes or elites) so it always made sense to me, I guess I could see the nights having certain lines of dialogue but even then the dialogue would have to be directed at the player, I suppose if they looked entirely different they may make more sense acting out and everything but for the way they looked in halo 4 I think their behavior fit quite well.

what were some of the ideas that they had for them? I'll be sure to watch that link at some point when I have enough time.

Yeah, even in the games where the grunts or elites or jackals don't speak english, you can always sorta tell what kind of things they're saying, and how they're reacting based on their voice alone.

Prometheans have so much dialogue potential, given that they're a group of confused, scared, angry people of different races, species, and cultures. some from hundreds of thousands of years ago, some from very recently.

the kind of strange things they might say to the player could give people a better idea of their situation, instead of just being told that they were once living beings and not seeing any in-game evidence.

They were intended to be kind of like a sci-fi version of the ghost army from lord of the rings: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/JB7-4GKq4qs/maxresdefault.jpg

if you've ever seen the return of the king, you'd know they're also extremely dangerous and fierce, but they are also prisoners to a curse that binds them to existence.  They want to rest, but all they can do is fight and destroy.  that second part is what doesn't come across very well in the Prometheans.

Some of the cut gameplay ideas included knights that rolled up into a ball metroid style for extra mobility, a telekinesis-like ability where they'd throw things at the player, and a dismemberment system where parts of them broke off as you did damage to them, which not only showed you how much damage you were doing but changed how they fought.

they also planned to have 6 types of prometheans instead of 3, but they ended up shrinking a lot of the ideas into the ones we got.  they were meant to be based off chess pieces, (Knight, Queen, Rook, Pawn) but the only one that kept that idea is the Knight.

They said the cut types might show up in later games.

EDIT: @@Lazer I get that.  the lore isn't for everyone, and even then they've never really done a great job of making it easy to get into.  but since there's no lore forum or topic here, not really anywhere else to talk about it.  Knowing about the story is often useful for predicting future gameplay changes, I might add.

Yeah, even in the games where the grunts or elites or jackals don't speak english, you can always sorta tell what kind of things they're saying, and how they're reacting based on their voice alone.

Prometheans have so much dialogue potential, given that they're a group of confused, scared, angry people of different races, species, and cultures. some from hundreds of thousands of years ago, some from very recently.

the kind of strange things they might say to the player could give people a better idea of their situation, instead of just being told that they were once living beings and not seeing any in-game evidence.

They were intended to be kind of like a sci-fi version of the ghost army from lord of the rings: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/JB7-4GKq4qs/maxresdefault.jpg

if you've ever seen the return of the king, you'd know they're also extremely dangerous and fierce, but they are also prisoners to a curse that binds them to existence.  They want to rest, but all they can do is fight and destroy.  that second part is what doesn't come across very well in the Prometheans.

Some of the cut gameplay ideas included knights that rolled up into a ball metroid style for extra mobility, a telekinesis-like ability where they'd throw things at the player, and a dismemberment system where parts of them broke off as you did damage to them, which not only showed you how much damage you were doing but changed how they fought.

they also planned to have 6 types of prometheans instead of 3, but they ended up shrinking a lot of the ideas into the ones we got.  they were meant to be based off chess pieces, (Knight, Queen, Rook, Pawn) but the only one that kept that idea is the Knight.

They said the cut types might show up in later games.

EDIT: @@Lazer I get that.  the lore isn't for everyone, and even then they've never really done a great job of making it easy to get into.  but since there's no lore forum or topic here, not really anywhere else to talk about it.  Knowing about the story is often useful for predicting future gameplay changes, I might add.

why would they need to roll when they can teleport? the telekinesis ability was present in the watcher, but only for nades which rarely ever happened. Having prometheans that can be dismembered sounds silly for an average enemy (would take forever) but for boss type of enemies could've been sweet.

read that link you showed me, thought it was interesting, I especially liked the part where they mentioned how together they act differently than when they are alone which may have meant that they wanted them to merge/combine transformers style but it might've just been less ambitious.

why would they need to roll when they can teleport? the telekinesis ability was present in the watcher, but only for nades which rarely ever happened. Having prometheans that can be dismembered sounds silly for an average enemy (would take forever) but for boss type of enemies could've been sweet.

read that link you showed me, thought it was interesting, I especially liked the part where they mentioned how together they act differently than when they are alone which may have meant that they wanted them to merge/combine transformers style but it might've just been less ambitious.

Technically you are "dismembering" Jackals when you break their hardlight shield or when you shoot a Brute's helmet off.

dismembered not in terms of needing to shoot individual limbs, but as a representation of doing damage instead of a shield flashing.

And they weren't going to teleport at that stage of development, that idea came later.

Isn't that how it pretty much looks already?

Little different and we certainly don't have a blue background - just stuck with a plain old black one with no option for customization.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have an x1 and if they updated it over night i probably would not have noticed a difference lol.

I doubt that, and those are just the pins and there are already noticeable differences. You can resize tiles now, background color options are likely and maybe themes (similar to Windows 8), and it looks like you can pin friends or accounts since there are two different gamerpics as tiles.

Higher res version

http://www.winbuzzer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Windows_Product_Family_9-30-Event1-2.jpg

I doubt that, and those are just the pins and there are already noticeable differences. You can resize tiles now, background color options are likely and maybe themes (similar to Windows 8), and it looks like you can pin friends or accounts since there are two different gamerpics as tiles.

Higher res version

http://www.winbuzzer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Windows_Product_Family_9-30-Event1-2.jpg

It looks very fucking similar, and considering I rarely fire up my x1, other than the color, i would not have noticed a difference... I'm glad we can change the color of the back ground..... since we have been doing that plus more since the modded OG xbox days. 

I wish MS would just kill the avatars/mii thing already. They are cheesy and all look like ass.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It looks very fucking similar, and considering I rarely fire up my x1, other than the color, i would not have noticed a difference... I'm glad we can change the color of the back ground..... since we have been doing that plus more since the modded OG xbox days. 

You'd notice if you played often. 

New Xbox One layout

naKyivm.jpg

this looks so much better.  very streamlined and efficient.  And changing background themes would be great!

I wish MS would just kill the avatars/mii thing already. They are cheesy and all look like ass.

And their postures are intended as cues but they are confusing because the avatar itself has a wide range of appearance.

Not only that they're not even used at all in the dashboard or Xbox One user interface. They literally serve even less of a purpose they already didn't have.

Not only that they're not even used at all in the dashboard or Xbox One user interface. They literally serve even less of a purpose they already didn't have.

You can pay MS for avatars and avatar items? They have a purpose.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So my roommate is playing halo for the first time in his life (also his first fps) as of the last few days. So fyi, if you see me in H3 social slayer and think I am absolute garbage it's probably my roommate...

probably

>_>