@@Hard Way

the way I feel about it is that there are things that on an objective, impersonal, logical level might not seem to add anything to a game.  but they still affect the player experience.  and once someone's gotten used to these things, they can become comforting and satisfying.

game mechanics don't exist merely to work efficiently, they exist to engage human minds, which are complex and fickle and emotional and nostalgic.  this doesn't mean that every game needs to have everything and please everyone, but it means that the reasons we like games aren't as simple as we often take them for granted as, and appealing to large and diverse audiences is hard because of this.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is a great question. My instincts scream that reloading is a perfectly fine mechanic, but every reason I come up with to defend it sounds eerily like a sprint defense. It deserves it's own thread imo.

Go just to support Halo, and bring the same mindset you would bring when you agree to not dashboard out when kids vote for magnum starts on Swordbase. The "I know its all going to be bullshit, so don't get mad when it happens" mindset. The reason I say support it is because if these people are dense enough to not see the glaring flaws in their tournament setup, then they are dense enough to think that no one likes Halo when the turnout sucks, and not throw future tournaments.

When I was going to Ohio U at the beginning of my sophomore year, they were opening a LAN center on the main strip on campus , Court Street. I was super pumped about it. I went in there and talked to the guys that would run it, and even volunteered to help them move in, carrying in TV's and whatnot. Well, when they were finally up and running a few weeks later, they wanted to throw a Halo 2 tournament (fall of '06). I saw their flyers and whatnot, and went in and talked to the employees there to learn more about the format, because I wanted to play in it. They were totally oblivious to how they were going to do it. I had some cache with them from my volunteering, so when I offered to help, they listened.

I held their hand through the entire process. Every step of the way I was met with resistance, but since I had logic on my side, I was able to convince them of every single setting. I convinced them to do 2v2 because it was easy to find a partner, and we'd get more teams. I convinced them to do BR starts (that was like B.net argument in real life). Then they were concerned about the noob combo. I convinced them to do No Duals. They wanted to run Zanzibar as a map. I convinced them to run Midship, Beaver Creek, and Warlock as the bo3 map pool. I convinced them to use FFA to seed, with partners being put in opposite games, and use the sum of each partners' kills to seed. One setting at a time, I chipped away at their ignorance, until they were actually throwing a decent tournament. Then my roommate and I went in there and won the bitch.

Pretty crazy that they were opening up a LAN center, yet didn't know the basic settings of the most popular competitive console game at the time. Thanks for the friend request on XBL by the way, Hard Way- looking forward to several hours of gaming and learning Halo: CE come November!

• Upvote (+1) 3

Pretty crazy that they were opening up a LAN center, yet didn't know the basic settings of the most popular competitive console game at the time. Thanks for the friend request on XBL by the way, Hard Way- looking forward to several hours of gaming and learning Halo: CE come November!

This actually isn't so surprising as it's an industry norm. Most people that start up LAN centers have a love for gaming as a whole, but aren't aware of the specifics associated with the various titles. Worse yet, many are entirely obvlivious to the e-sports scene. Then again, there's a myriad of reasons why so many LAN Center startups fail miserably... Mainly a lack of business and e-sports knowledge.

This actually isn't so surprising as it's an industry norm. Most people that start up LAN centers have a love for gaming as a whole, but aren't aware of the specifics associated with the various titles. Worse yet, many are entirely obvlivious to the e-sports scene. Then again, there's a myriad of reasons why so many LAN Center startups fail miserably... Mainly a lack of business and e-sports knowledge.

That's interesting. I'd arm myself with knowledge of several popular LAN games if I were opening up a LAN center. Pretty crazy to me that you wouldn't try and get to know your biggest clientele when opening a small business.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's interesting. I'd arm myself with knowledge of several popular LAN games if I were opening up a LAN center. Pretty crazy to me that you wouldn't try and get to know your biggest clientele when opening a small business.

Once again, lack of business knowledge (or in this case common sense). There's good reason why roughly 75% of businesses fail within the first 3 years. In this case, its because avid gamers want to open a business related to gaming without throughly researching the market or having an actual strategy. This also coincides with why so many LAN Centers are pretty small and look poorly put together...

We're 54 days away from getting a Halo: CE Killtacular on Xbox Live with the pistol and being able to say "Xbox, record that" and then having it saved on our Xbox forever. I'm geeking out, gang.

• Upvote (+1) 3

despite the initial stuff hurting things and PS4 having a sizable lead, the Xbone is still selling better than the 360 was at this point in its life.

I would probably say that's more down to the fact that gaming as a whole has gotten a whole lot bigger and more accepted now then back in 2005.

I would probably say that's more down to the fact that gaming as a whole has gotten a whole lot bigger and more accepted now then back in 2005.

yeah, but the point is that being in second place doesn't necessarily mean they're doing badly.

I have to tell you the latest rounds of ads on the top of the page are pissing me off. I scroll to where I want to interact on the page, go to click the link and as I click the page moves down because the ad just got taller. This happens more than a few times too. Can anything be done about it?

Once I hit the wrong link and had to slow way down and think what just happened and then back my way out. Very annoying.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We don't really "control" the ads, we can message our ad client to look into those.

It does suck in the regard as more people adblock these days, the more we move towards automated ones to cover monthly site costs. Props to those that don't adblock and support the site. I'll look into it, want to make the experience as painless as possible for those that support the site.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah, but the point is that being in second place doesn't necessarily mean they're doing badly.

Not badly, no, but comparing the sales in 2014 for a console is vastly different from comparing sales for a console 9 years ago.

Not badly, no, but comparing the sales in 2014 for a console is vastly different from comparing sales for a console 9 years ago.

If you're trying to say that every console doesn't even have to try to sell better than the old ones these days, I'll direct your attention to the Wii U, which hasn't sold at the rate of any of the three previous gen consoles.

but yeah, unless things shake up seriously this christmas, the PS4 has a huge start that'll be difficult to catch up to.

the competitive community has been showing up for tourneys involving games they actually like to play....halo 4's population will not affect the mcc sales or community....that shit is going to sell like hot cakes and ppl are going to play it till their thumbs bleed...because it contains games we actually want to play...

Well I'm sure the competitive players are gonna come back. (How many actually left? Most probably still play Halo 3 everyday.) It's just the guys who stopped playing in 2010 after playing routinely during Halo 3's heyday, and who have since moved on to casually playing LoL that I doubt are gonna come back and elevate future Halo populations back into the hundreds of thousands instead of where we're at now.

If you're trying to say that every console doesn't even have to try to sell better than the old ones these days, I'll direct your attention to the Wii U, which hasn't sold at the rate of any of the three previous gen consoles.

but yeah, unless things shake up seriously this christmas, the PS4 has a huge start that'll be difficult to catch up to.

I'm not saying that they have to try and sell better than the old ones, I'm just saying comparing the rate at which they sell back in '05 to '14 is completely different because gaming has blown up so much since then.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Has the last of the six remastered maps been revealed yet?  I've been ridiculously busy this week and last.

Nope.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has the last of the six remastered maps been revealed yet?  I've been ridiculously busy this week and last.

i think we still have 1 or 2 coming soon ish

i think we still have 1 or 2 coming soon ish

Just 1 more to be announced, I'm guessing it's gonna be at Eurogamer (probably?).

Didn't 343 say there will be open Forge maps, with no floor or walls?

Yup, but those don't count as the six remade maps.

Yo, I finally bought Titanfall.  something I've noticed is that it's deceptively balanced progression-wise compared to CoD.  your unlocks don't necessarily make you more powerful, they just give you different options, each with their own tradeoff.  there's not a billion kinds of the same basic gun, different weapons behave significantly differently and there's not too many of them.

The result: using my memories from the beta I'm able to equally compete with super high level players who have everything unlocked, from level one.  it's fun.