Next Unreal Tournament has now been confirmed and its a free game.

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/the-future-of-unreal-tournament-begins-today

Its awesome their letting the fans have input on future Unreal games, and they are embracing the mod community in a HUGE way that UT3 ultimately lacked. I know i will be giving feedback and participating in any beta releases  :)  

Very smart move by Epic here in my opinion, the UT community should be very excited.

Next Unreal Tournament has now been confirmed and its a free game.

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/the-future-of-unreal-tournament-begins-today

Shamefully re-posting from the thread in General Discussion

All info from the stream

• Free (not "F2P", no microtransactions)
  • PC, Mac, and Linux only
  • Mod support (dedicated marketplace where you can buy/sell)
  • Will run on the Unreal Engine 4
  • Wiki (developer controlled) - https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Unreal_Tournament
  • "It will take many months until the game is playable by gamers. This is real development from scratch."
  • "All code and content will be available live to UE4 developers on GitHub"
  • Official forum - https://forums.unrealengine.com/forumdisplay.php?34-Unreal-Tournament
  • Will first focus on Deathmatch only. Objective gametypes will be added later.
  • Named "Unreal Tournament". Will be named UT14 by fans for simplicity sake anyway.

Everything about this is perfection. Having the code open at all times during development and a dedicated modding marketplace is PC heaven.

How are they going to monetize it? I doubt Epic is just going to pump resources into a new "from scratch" UT for free.

I heard someone saying the price they're charging for the new Unreal Engine is covering it, but no idea how legit that is.

I heard someone saying the price they're charging for the new Unreal Engine is covering it, but no idea how legit that is.

That and Epic will gain a percentage from mod sales in the marketplace. Modders will have to gain access to Unreal Engine 4 ($20/month) to mod it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That and Epic will gain a percentage from mod sales in the marketplace. Modders will have to gain access to Unreal Engine 4 ($20/month) to mod it.

Which is a great deal for Unreal Engine 4 to begin with. Insanely powerful engine.

Not related: Also, another Smash player has been picked up by a large eSports Org. Announcement for Dr. PPMD's sponsorship will be in a few.

Not related: Also, another Smash player has been picked up by a large eSports Org. Announcement for Dr. PPMD's sponsorship will be in a few.

Is it me, or other Org. were more interested in Smash after the E3 Tournament Announcement?

Either way, can't wait for the Smash tournaments!

Is it me, or other Org. were more interested in Smash after the E3 Tournament Announcement?

Either way, can't wait for the Smash tournaments!

I wouldn't say that it was what made some Orgs pick up Smashers, but it definitely helped. Remember KDJ, Chillin, Ken, and Hbox were already signed before the Invitational was announced. There's pretty much a big tournament every weekend from now until the end of June, but then it's all about Evo hype.

Shamefully re-posting from the thread in General Discussion

All info from the stream

• Free (not "F2P", no microtransactions)
  • PC, Mac, and Linux only

I was kind of hoping to be able to play it on my X1 instead of PC, but I can't complain about a free UT.

I would imagine the way they'll make money is having a marketplace where people can sell mods.  so that explains why it's PC only.

bhby7CD.png

?

I'm not sure what part of this screenshot you're questioning so I'll cover them all

1.) I earned the title "Demon Lord" by being at 666 rep for way too damn long and causing a war of + and - rep on all of my posts for a couple of days

2.) My avatar is my Jewy character from The Stick of Truth because that game was awesome

3.) I'm a member because being mod's for squares

4.) I have no warning points because I'm a good cookie

5.) Social media = life

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm not sure what part of this screenshot you're questioning so I'll cover them all

1.) I earned the title "Demon Lord" by being at 666 rep for way too damn long and causing a war of + and - rep on all of my posts for a couple of days

2.) My avatar is my Jewy character from The Stick of Truth because that game was awesome

3.) I'm a member because being mod's for squares

4.) I have no warning points because I'm a good cookie

5.) Social media = life

Aha, I went into Paint and hid your rep bars and was hoping you'd be confused.

Obviously not :(

I've been thinking about the idea of squad commands for friendly Halo AI in the next game.  It could be a way to make them feel like they actually matter in a fight by making their effectiveness mostly dependent on the player's skill at commanding them.  In co-op, each player would have their own separate squads that only follow their orders, and there would be more enemies to balance this out.

Interesting?  I like the idea of AI that can actually drive for shit and such.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've been thinking about the idea of squad commands for friendly Halo AI in the next game.  It could be a way to make them feel like they actually matter in a fight by making their effectiveness mostly dependent on the player's skill at commanding them.  In co-op, each player would have their own separate squads that only follow their orders, and there would be more enemies to balance this out.

I'm pretty sure this feature was cut from Reach.

Battlefield already has a simple version of what you describe using voice commands. I'm convinced that 343i will implement something similar to what you are describing for the H5 campaign to really make use of the Kinect.